HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your take on how Burke will bail himself out during the offseason

Old
03-28-2012, 10:23 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
Your take on how Burke will bail himself out during the offseason

Most people won't argue against the fact that this the most important summer of Burke's career. Other teams have done it and so can this team.

Based on who we have in the system, drafting, and the list of UFA's what will be his plan?

He believes that another top 6 forward, 2 depth forwards, and a goalie will turn this team around and make the post-season next year.

What do you do?

I want to see your drafting, trades, line-ups, and waiver wires.

It can be done.

Please/Thanks

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:26 AM
caribouPINE

I absolutely have NO idea how we are going to improve this summer.

- Very little cap space
- Very little in terms of prospects ready to make an impact. If any single one hit 40+ points we would be ecstatic
- No good UFAs other than Parise and Suter and we aren't getting either

So no cap space, no budding prospects and no impact UFA signings....

In addition to several gaping holes: #1 center, front line goalie, power forward, real shut down dman.

I just don't know how Burke is going to get himself out of this massive crater of a hole we are in over the summer. It's not possible to do it in 1 year.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:29 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Draft Alex Galchenyuk.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:32 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

rick dudley likes the D
on norm's 590 overnight show he stressed how this team is close to being very good
without saying it he basically said theyre a top center (or top 6 forward) and #1 goalie from being very good.

slip of the tongue he mentioned 'someone like joe thornton'

he believes gardiner phaneuf are the 1 -2 of the future
liles franson schenn gunnarsson are all good for depth
and blacker percy and one other are there soon

he said this confidently stated he's had experience going thru this in the past with helping rebuild chicago and tampa

i would go after a big #1 center and a top goalie

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Auzzie19

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
rick dudley likes the D
on norm's 590 overnight show he stressed how this team is close to being very good
without saying it he basically said theyre a top center (or top 6 forward) and #1 goalie from being very good.

he believes gardiner phaneuf are the 1 -2 of the future
liles franson schenn gunnarsson are all good for depth
and blacker percy and one other are there soon

he said this confidently stated he's had experience going thru this in the past with helping rebuild chicago and tampa
I believe he said that Phaneuf was a quality top 4, and Gardiner has potential to be a #1 or #2 D-man. And a applaud him for not mentioning Komisarek as part of the future like Burke has on several occasions.

Auzzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Trade up at any cost and draft Grigorenko. If you can get that pick without losing our own 1st, you do it no matter what the cost. Sell the damn farm. Draft Grigorenko and Galchenyuk. Yes, its a stupid pipe dream. This season has been hell let a man dream a stupid dream.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:40 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
I believe he said that Phaneuf was a quality top 4, and Gardiner has potential to be a #1 or #2 D-man. And a applaud him for not mentioning Komisarek as part of the future like Burke has on several occasions.
cant remember exactly, you might be right
but he did sound confident going forward with this group on D
so im not expecting ryan suter coming etc.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:42 AM
caribouPINE

No need for Justin Shultz then? Darn.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:43 AM
marmarsab
Formerly #13 & Schen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Most people won't argue against the fact that this the most important summer of Burke's career. Other teams have done it and so can this team.

Based on who we have in the system, drafting, and the list of UFA's what will be his plan?

He believes that another top 6 forward, 2 depth forwards, and a goalie will turn this team around and make the post-season next year.

What do you do?

It can be done.

Please/Thanks

Traded for: Nash, Kopitar, C. Stewart

Free Agents: D. Jones, Schultz and Vokoun

Traded out: Kessel, Armstrong, Kulemin, Lombardi, Connoly, Komisarek, Franson, Bozak, Frattin

Ufa's not re-signed: Crabb, Gustavsson

Draft: Galchenyuk or Forsberg or Faska with the 5th overall and Tom Wilson or Martin Frk with the 35th overall

Nash Kopitar Lupul
Kadri Grabovski Stewart
Macarthur Colborne Jones
Rosehill Steckel Brown
Mueller

Gunnarson Phaneuf
Gardiner Schenn
Liles Holzer
Schultz

Vokoun
Reimer

marmarsab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:47 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

A good goalie can give you an extra 10-15 points in the standings. We'll have to trade for one because the UFA list is limited. We will have to give up someone like Lupul or Mac to get one.

We need to draft the most NHL ready player.

We need a heart and soul guy in terms of depth forward positions. 2 of them would be great.

^Yeah not very specific, but I'm posting from my phone.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:54 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHENNsational View Post
Traded for: Nash, Kopitar, C. Stewart

Free Agents: D. Jones, Schultz and Vokoun

Traded out: Kessel, Armstrong, Kulemin, Lombardi, Connoly, Komisarek, Franson, Bozak, Frattin

Ufa's not re-signed: Crabb, Gustavsson

Draft: Galchenyuk or Forsberg or Faska with the 5th overall and Tom Wilson or Martin Frk with the 35th overall

Nash Kopitar Lupul
Kadri Grabovski Stewart
Macarthur Colborne Jones
Rosehill Steckel Brown
Mueller

Gunnarson Phaneuf
Gardiner Schenn
Liles Holzer
Schultz

Vokoun
Reimer
I like a lot of your moves. I too would like to see what we can get for Kessel. He is a good goal scorer, but we need a more well-rounded player in our top line. I also like your draft choices.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:55 AM
threeGo

He'll go to Afghanistan.

I think he'll make most of his moves on draft day. He'll probably try to make a big splash there by either trading for another top 10 pick while keeping our top 5 pick or he might trade our 1st rounder for an established player. Or he might just go cap dumping LACK.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:59 AM
hdtrax

Burke can and IMO will bail himself out. He hates losing and hates being on the down and outs so I feel he'll be extra motivated to ice a playoff contending team next year.

This wouldn't be an unrealistic scenario:

1. Burke begins by dealing two of LACK for cap relief - most likely Armstrong and Komisarek. Carlyle doesn't seem to mind Connolly in a shutdown role - acquires mid-to-late picks and lower tier prospects plus one possible salary/contract dump to throw to the Marlies for depth.

2. Burke drafts one of Yakupov (highly unlikely), Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg or Faksa. Dave Morrison thinks long and hard about getting another d-man but chooses to address an area of need (top 6 forward prospects). Chooses to keep 2nd rounder and pick up one of Tom Wilson, Henrik Samuelsson or Dalton Thrower.

Then July 1 rolls around..

3. Signs Justin Schultz to a max ELC, reuniting him with his former partner in Jake Gardiner.

4. Signs Josh Harding to 3 year deal worth 12 million (4/year).

4. Burke signs Travis Moen and George Parros to 2 year deals - lets Joey Crabb, Jonas Gustavvsson walk and dumps Rosehill for nothing.

5. Burke deals Franson, MacArthur, Jerry D'Amigo and a 2nd in 2013 for Dustin Brown (likely not fair value for Brown; add as needed).

Goes into next season with:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Kadri-Grabovski-Brown
Kulemin-Connolly-Moen
Brown-Steckel-Parros
Lombardi

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Schenn-Liles
Gardiner-Schultz
Holzer

Harding
Reimer

Meanwhile, Colborne and Ashton spend another year under Eakins' guidance while our forward from this year's draft gets a critical year of development under his belt (especially Galchenyuk, who could be ready in 2013-14).

At the deadline next year, Connolly and Lombardi are dumped for next to nothing (as pending UFAs) - paving the way for big Joe to step in. Harding provides a steady presence in net to help guide Reimer (who hopefully bounces back), Brown, Parros and Moen gives us leadership and a couple of tough customers to rumble with the Bostons of the league.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:59 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i would get two top forwards
- a big #1 center
- power forward wing - nash or ryan

and the #1 goalie - vokoun or...

D is ok
i would like a fighter as the 6th guy - trade franson or schenn

Old
03-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Dio666

Burke has to do something. I believe he'll do something huge because of the Winter Classic. No way a big ego like Burke will just tinker to improve.

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:30 AM
mydnyte

trade our garbage for other peoples garbage because fresh garbage smells better than old garbage

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:31 AM
utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
I absolutely have NO idea how we are going to improve this summer.

- Very little cap space
- Very little in terms of prospects ready to make an impact. If any single one hit 40+ points we would be ecstatic
- No good UFAs other than Parise and Suter and we aren't getting either

So no cap space, no budding prospects and no impact UFA signings....

In addition to several gaping holes: #1 center, front line goalie, power forward, real shut down dman.

I just don't know how Burke is going to get himself out of this massive crater of a hole we are in over the summer. It's not possible to do it in 1 year.
I completely agree.

Burke's window of opportunity is the summer of 2013, when 7 players on the roster become UFA's. That will open up some cap space.

It's going to be a challenge the season after that though, when Kessel and Phaneuf become UFA's. Do they stay, should they stay, if they stay how will they fit into the team budget, and will they stay or go?

I can't see envision Burke doing anything in the short term because of the limitations you mentioned.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:32 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

trade everyone for a PPG+ player

that's what people mean by consistent right?

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:41 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post

What do you do?

It can be done.

Please/Thanks
He'll draft someone in the top 5 -- probably a center. He may even move up a couple sports.

He'll likely deal Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong -- since they are in the last years of their deals. Freeing up cap sapce but more importantly room for Kadri and Frattin, who are better players at the moment. I wouldn't expect much in return and we moght even see Colborne up.

He'll push hard for Juston Shultz and moght even get him. If he does it will spell the end of Liles. I wouldn't expect Liles to fetch much. Perhaps in a package with MacArthur and a pick it may land a top 6 center or a goalie -- doubtful -- since there aren't any available.

He'll try and deal Schenn because the hockey department is noticibly concerned about his development. He probably won't get the return he wants and will have to stand pat.

Next season might look like this:

Lupul Bozak Kessel
Kulemin Grabovski MacArthur
Kadri Colborne Frattin
Ashton Steckel Brown

Gardiner Phaneuf
Gunnarson Franson
Shultz Schenn

Reimer

Which will leave little hope for a marked improvement.

We may see him try and trade for Nash but with CLB wanting a first and the Leafs 1st being top 5 that isn't smart.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
Burke can and IMO will bail himself out. He hates losing and hates being on the down and outs so I feel he'll be extra motivated to ice a playoff contending team next year.

This wouldn't be an unrealistic scenario:

1. Burke begins by dealing two of LACK for cap relief - most likely Armstrong and Komisarek. Carlyle doesn't seem to mind Connolly in a shutdown role - acquires mid-to-late picks and lower tier prospects plus one possible salary/contract dump to throw to the Marlies for depth.

2. Burke drafts one of Yakupov (highly unlikely), Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg or Faksa. Dave Morrison thinks long and hard about getting another d-man but chooses to address an area of need (top 6 forward prospects). Chooses to keep 2nd rounder and pick up one of Tom Wilson, Henrik Samuelsson or Dalton Thrower.

Then July 1 rolls around..

3. Signs Justin Schultz to a max ELC, reuniting him with his former partner in Jake Gardiner.

4. Signs Josh Harding to 3 year deal worth 12 million (4/year).

4. Burke signs Travis Moen and George Parros to 2 year deals - lets Joey Crabb, Jonas Gustavvsson walk and dumps Rosehill for nothing.

5. Burke deals Franson, MacArthur, Jerry D'Amigo and a 2nd in 2013 for Dustin Brown (likely not fair value for Brown; add as needed).

Goes into next season with:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Kadri-Grabovski-Brown
Kulemin-Connolly-Moen
Brown-Steckel-Parros
Lombardi

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Schenn-Liles
Gardiner-Schultz
Holzer

Harding
Reimer

Meanwhile, Colborne and Ashton spend another year under Eakins' guidance while our forward from this year's draft gets a critical year of development under his belt (especially Galchenyuk, who could be ready in 2013-14).

At the deadline next year, Connolly and Lombardi are dumped for next to nothing (as pending UFAs) - paving the way for big Joe to step in. Harding provides a steady presence in net to help guide Reimer (who hopefully bounces back), Brown, Parros and Moen gives us leadership and a couple of tough customers to rumble with the Bostons of the league.
That would be dumb.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:50 AM
SenorDingDong

Draft Galcyenchuk and sign Justin Schultz and I'm happy.

Preferably get an actual NHL goalie too.

SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

People don't watch the marlies I see

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

He'll stand pat. Get a veteran backup goalie, make a minor trade for a depth forward, and cross his fingers.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio666 View Post
Burke has to do something. I believe he'll do something huge because of the Winter Classic. No way a big ego like Burke will just tinker to improve.

THIS. I have immense respect for Burke, but it is time to start putting it together in a tangible way.
He's done a good job of outlining the strategy, and explaining his moves. The rationale made sense. Lets get some results now....

1. Make hockey fun for Kessel. Give him an all star to play alongside. Either that, or cash him in. One more season of underachievement and he demands a trade, guaranteed.
2. Give us an entertaining player to re-establish team spirit and Leaf Pride. We need an impact guy who can play at a high level and stir it up. Essentially, a Wade Belak (RIP) lite, who can score.
3. No more gambling between the pipes. If its down to a franchise centre or a franchise goalie, take the damn goalie.

Lets see some character. This has been a disgrace, and if the leaders don't show some push back, who is going to? Dion, pull your thumb out son... Time to man up and lead, or step off. No more excuses...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:20 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 2

Are there any good UFA Goalies available this summer?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote