HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The dreaded jinx

Old
03-28-2012, 08:07 AM
DukeNukem

vCash: 500
The dreaded jinx

I believe in two, in baseball-never talk to a pitcher when he has a no-hitter he has going on, and never, never, never bring up the word shut-out in the last stages of a hockey game if your guy hasn't been scored on. And I mean no one is allowed to mention it. I've seen games where broadcasters will not mention it.
Are there unwritten rules referring to the post season before clinching, especially this one, that you consider a jinx?

DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:27 AM
MAK19

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Sensfanman

Jinxes don't exist (well, talking to a pitcher might ruin his mental state) but mentioning a shut-out well out of range of a goalie has no impact whatsoever.

I mean, teams getting shutout will try REALLY hard to get a goalie, probably pull the goalie, etc. The odds of them scoring will probably go up the closer to the end of the game it is as they get desperate. Coincidentally, the odds of getting scored on will also likely go up. But since you are looking for a shut-out, you add weight to the instances where the shut-out was broken, confirming your belief in the jinx.

Most jinxes are just stats and random variance.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:26 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

The first rule of Jinx Thread is you don't talk about Jinx Thread.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:29 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
The first rule of Jinx Thread is you don't talk about Jinx Thread.
You just broke rule one.

03-28-2012, 10:46 AM
D0C

Jinxes? Seriously?

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Legend Killer

Not sure how to embed video but check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bYSBqaxtkk

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

Jinxes are not real.

However, there are definitely certain things that you can do or say to a person, that could cause said person to think or act differently.

Posts on a forum have 0% effect on anything ever(unless the goalie was using his smartphone to view HF while in net about to get a shutout).

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:38 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNukem View Post
I believe in two, in baseball-never talk to a pitcher when he has a no-hitter he has going on, and never, never, never bring up the word shut-out in the last stages of a hockey game if your guy hasn't been scored on. And I mean no one is allowed to mention it. I've seen games where broadcasters will not mention it.
Are there unwritten rules referring to the post season before clinching, especially this one, that you consider a jinx?
do you ACTUALLY believe in jynx's? That's sad/silly. I'd like for one person to prove to me that jynx exist before we move on with the discussion or else this is all just extremely silly.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:42 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenacusMaximus View Post
Jinxes are not real.

However, there are definitely certain things that you can do or say to a person, that could cause said person to think or act differently.

Posts on a forum have 0% effect on anything ever(unless the goalie was using his smartphone to view HF while in net about to get a shutout).
I agree with the bolded, but that's not a jynx. People who actually think if i whisper in the stands "shut out" that i jynxed the goalie from a shut out really need to get their heads out of their a-...really have to change the whole way they look at life.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:43 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I'm a hugely superstitious person. Especially when it comes to sports. I won't talk about anything until it's over or in the bag.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:03 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

I don't, but it's so amusing to yell SHUTOUT at a Sens game when we haven't scored.

03-28-2012, 01:06 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
I'm a hugely superstitious person. Especially when it comes to sports. I won't talk about anything until it's over or in the bag.
So if you put your left skate on before your right skate...but one time, your left skate had a problem so it was getting fixed/sharpened and you put on your right skate first and got dressed, and put on your left skate when it was ready. You lost that game. Would you honestly tell me which skate you put on first had anything to do with it?

Old
03-28-2012, 01:14 PM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

To all the people saying that jinxes aren't real and are just silly:
How do you KNOW this? You guys keep stating this as if it's a completely ludicrous idea to believe in. You guys act as if the only truths in this world are the ones that have been proven by science. As if nothing that people currently believe will ever be proven wrong again in the future. Things are often proven in practice long before being proven by science. That's how people could predict the seasons long before understanding astronomy. They didn't have any scientific basis for what they were doing, but they knew they were right from decades, maybe centuries, of observation and practice. Well, how many times have you observed a jinx actually happen? Probably at least few, but you've always just written it off to chance. How many of you are familiar with the ideas of higher and collective consciousness? Well guess what, those ideas are just as old and just as observation/reason based as early astrology. In fact, I'm on who believes that when considering ideas of soul, or collective consciousness or spirituality, the best knowledge comes from the oldest sources, when people were just closer with nature and much more in tune with this part of life. Today, technology and corrupted institutions keep us far removed from understanding these ideas. But it doesn't mean they should be discounted.

I'm not trying to say that jinxes are for sure real. Just trying to say that the only true wisdom is know that you know nothing. It's silly to dismiss an idea more ancient than you can even imagine.

KarlssonMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:15 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
So if you put your left skate on before your right skate...but one time, your left skate had a problem so it was getting fixed/sharpened and you put on your right skate first and got dressed, and put on your left skate when it was ready. You lost that game. Would you honestly tell me which skate you put on first had anything to do with it?
If I made the mistake that cost the game or something, of course. But thats more personal superstition, not so much an outcome on the end result. I'm talking more not saying 'shutout' before the final horn or talking too far into the future when it comes to playoffs before it's legitimately locked up.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:19 PM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieDavidThoreau View Post
How do you KNOW this? ... ... I'm not trying to say that jinxes are for sure real. Just trying to say that the only true wisdom is know that you know nothing. It's silly to dismiss an idea more ancient than you can even imagine.
I'm sorry but your quote made me laugh out loud.

Same can be said of Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy, right?

If you really think that a post on a public forum has the ability to change the outcome of a professional sport game, then you my friend, have bigger problems in life.

That being said, I just got a fresh batch of pixie dust for the Philly game. Once I sacrifice the goat we're all set! They won't know what hit them!

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:19 PM
MAK19

Quote:
do you ACTUALLY believe in jynx's? That's sad/silly. I'd like for one person to prove to me that jynx exist before we move on with the discussion or else this is all just extremely silly.
Quote:
I agree with the bolded, but that's not a jynx. People who actually think if i whisper in the stands "shut out" that i jynxed the goalie from a shut out really need to get their heads out of their a-...really have to change the whole way they look at life.

Approves this thread

Old
03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieDavidThoreau View Post
How do you KNOW this? You guys keep stating this as if it's a completely ludicrous idea to believe in. You guys act as if the only truths in this world are the ones that have been proven by science. As if nothing that people currently believe will ever be proven wrong again in the future. Things are often proven in practice long before being proven by science. That's how people could predict the seasons long before understanding astronomy. They didn't have any scientific basis for what they were doing, but they knew they were right from decades, maybe centuries, of observation and practice. Well, how many times have you observed a jinx actually happen? Probably at least few, but you've always just written it off to chance. How many of you are familiar with the ideas of higher and collective consciousness? Well guess what, those ideas are just as old and just as observation/reason based as early astrology. In fact, I'm on who believes that when considering ideas of soul, or collective consciousness or spirituality, the best knowledge comes from the oldest sources, when people were just closer with nature and much more in tune with this part of life. Today, technology and corrupted institutions keep us far removed from understanding these ideas. But it doesn't mean they should be discounted.

I'm not trying to say that jinxes are for sure real. Just trying to say that the only true wisdom is know that you know nothing. It's silly to dismiss an idea more ancient than you can even imagine.
Is this real life? They could predict seasons because they came every year, after roughly the same amount of time. Observation and practice = science.

Any ''jinxes'' that people observe are purely coincidence and chance.

Having a soul can also have a scientific approch
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert..._b_850804.html

Old
03-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Is this real life? They could predict seasons because they came every year, after roughly the same amount of time. Observation and practice = science.

Any ''jinxes'' that people observe are purely coincidence and chance.

Having a soul can also have a scientific approch
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert..._b_850804.html
This made me laugh for some reason.

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:07 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote