HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Shawn Hunwick (U of M, G)

Old
03-28-2012, 01:33 PM
DangleDman

vCash: 500
Shawn Hunwick (U of M, G)

Are we getting an exciting player here..... He will come with some media attention as some say he's luck if he's 5'7".

DangleDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:36 PM
JacketsFanWest

The Jackets keep drafting these gigantic goalies. About time they went with a midget. I love the underdogs. But what's with all the Wolverines...?

For those that haven't seen it:

Mason Out, Hunwick Signed

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...unwick-in.html

Already made Puck Daddy:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...182519133.html

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:10 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
As I said in the mains. I like this kid. Watching him play he reminds me of Tim Thomas. Not the prettiest saves, but he competes hard for every puck, and has no quit.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:18 PM
DangleDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
As I said in the mains. I like this kid. Watching him play he reminds me of Tim Thomas. Not the prettiest saves, but he competes hard for every puck, and has no quit.
That's great to hear, and all we can ask for. Hopefully this kid comes in with some grit and the willingness to fight to earn himself a spot.

DangleDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:22 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

The sad part is, if he plays, he'll probably be BETTER than Mason.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:45 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Everyone knows he is just signed as of right now to sit on the bench for tonight's game only? Reading some post I get the feeling some do not know that.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:47 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Everyone knows he is just signed as of right now to sit on the bench for a game or two right? Reading some post I get the feeling some do not know that.
I know this. I am hopeful he will be given a shot to play. No reason to not give him a shot at this point.....how can it get any worse?

We may have found a diamond in the rough, so to speak. Nothing to lose, let him play.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:52 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
I know this. I am hopeful he will be given a shot to play. No reason to not give him a shot at this point.....how can it get any worse?

We may have found a diamond in the rough, so to speak. Nothing to lose, let him play.

His only shot to play is if York is hurt during the game. He is only signed to a one day contract.

03-28-2012, 03:49 PM
JacketsFanWest

If Mason is injury isn't just a one game thing, then Hunwick could signed for the rest of the season and could see playing time.

I'm not sure exactly how Mason could be seriously injured taking a puck to the mask, unless it was a neck injury. But I wouldn't mind if he needed a conditioning stint in Springfield to recover from it and Hunwick finished out the season for him. Or any random goalie they find wandering around on the streets of Columbus for that matter.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:56 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I'm not sure exactly how Mason could be seriously injured taking a puck to the mask, unless it was a neck injury.

The irony of Mason wearing a Walking Dead mask was too much for the hockey gods to take, so they smote him.

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:18 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
His only shot to play is if York is hurt during the game. He is only signed to a one day contract.
I understand this, but why not give the kid a shot? It can't be any worse than going our there with York or Mason.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:18 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
If Mason is injury isn't just a one game thing, then Hunwick could signed for the rest of the season and could see playing time.
Correct, but I was just trying to point out that that until another contract is signed this is a one and done.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Hunwick, Mason, York... next season can't arrive soon enough.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:45 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
So happy for Shawn. The Kid really is unreal. And that whole 5'7".... yeah he's really 5'5". Hopefully he gets to see some ice time tonight. I'll be tuning in just to see him haha.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:47 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Hopefully he doesnt play... Wouldnt be opposed to giving him a contract so he can play in the AHL or ECHL.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I understand this, but why not give the kid a shot? It can't be any worse than going our there with York or Mason.
They've only used York when they've been forced to by emergencies and he's a professional under contract all season. Why would you think they'd "give a shot" to a guy they just signed out of college, today?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
roaddogg02316

Just wondering but is Curtis Sanford injured or something? Wondered why they wouldn't dress him?

roaddogg02316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddogg02316 View Post
Just wondering but is Curtis Sanford injured or something? Wondered why they wouldn't dress him?
Yep, pulled something a few games ago

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:16 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
They've only used York when they've been forced to by emergencies and he's a professional under contract all season. Why would you think they'd "give a shot" to a guy they just signed out of college, today?
I would. You don't have to pay him to see him in a prime time shot.

You know what you have in York, a guy who isn't ready. Why ruin his confidence, when you can ruin someone who you don't even have to pay.

It is a win/win, IMO. He could be the next greatest thing, he may go pitch a shutout, who knows. The point is why take the risk with York, when you can see this kid for free tonight against a top talent team?

Old
03-28-2012, 06:31 PM
cslebn

Quote:

You know what you have in York, a guy who isn't ready. Why ruin his confidence, when you can ruin someone who you don't even have to pay.

It is a win/win, IMO. He could be the next greatest thing, he may go pitch a shutout, who knows. The point is why take the risk with York, when you can see this kid for free tonight against a top talent team?
Sadly, if he went in he would get smoked. As much as I would like to see him, he really isn't ready. Either way, if he gets practice time it is a great experience for him. Hopefully he gets signed to a try-out and gets to go to the rookie camp and tournament.

cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:32 PM
roaddogg02316

Quote:

Yeah Hunwick really probably may never get a chance. But he'd play his butt off to prove himself to maybe get a chance in the minors.
They don't pay guys on ATOs. Nothing at all like a game salary or something?

roaddogg02316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:41 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
Sadly, if he went in he would get smoked. As much as I would like to see him, he really isn't ready. Either way, if he gets practice time it is a great experience for him. Hopefully he gets signed to a try-out and gets to go to the rookie camp and tournament.
If he gets smoked then you know what he is about up front, before you have comitted to him.

Old
03-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Skraut

You just have to love the irony of this picture...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:34 PM
EspenK

The "problem" with York as Doggy pointed out is that the Jackets have sent him from team to team and league to league and sat him for most of the season. A classic jacket development effort.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:31 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
The "problem" with York as Doggy pointed out is that the Jackets have sent him from team to team and league to league and sat him for most of the season. A classic jacket development effort.
York has spent considerable amount of time in Columbus so he's benefited from good coaching from Ian Clark. When he bounced around, he was rusty and had a few bad games in Springfield and Chicago and never got to play after that.

College goalies don't play that many games, but get far more practice time then a CHL goalies. That's sort of the situation York has been in this year, along with a lot of travel time.

Goalies that are fundamentally solid but not spectacular (like Sanford) can have a career in the NHL. The Jackets have a good goalie coach now, all he needs is goalies to mold.