HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Ever wonder what our team could be if we kept Fisher/Kelly/Elliott?

Old
03-28-2012, 01:36 PM
topshelfie

vCash: 500

Paul Maclean has come in and done a great job,and I'm really happy with our current team.

That being said, myself and some friends were wondering what our team would be like with last years players still here?

I think we would be 4 or 5 wins ahead of our current position challenging Boston. Thoughts?

Last edited by topshelfie: 03-28-2012 at 02:06 PM.
topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:38 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
With this teams defence I'd much rather have Andy in net.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Northern Neighbour

To answer the OP, nope, I don't think about "what could be" if Fisher, Kelly, and Elliott were on the club. I don't think it's a guarantee that if they were still here that the team would be playing as well or better.

In addition...

Having Fisher would mean no Turris on this team. It also means one of Puempel or Noesen wouldn't be in the system. I'd rather easily have Turris and Puempel/Noesen than just Fisher.

Zack Smith has easily replaced Kelly in his role as the 3rd-line centre. While Smith is erratic at times, he's a good two-way forward and provides toughness.

Elliott is having a great year in St. Louis. However, it was clear that he wasn't able to handle the #1 chores in hockey-mad Ottawa. In St. Louis, he gets to share the chores with Halak and in a less stressful environment.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
I don't know if Kelly would have brought anything we don't already have. And Kelly's trade turned into Shane Prince which could be interesting still.

Fisher being here... again trying to think how we'd slot him in. Moving him definitely changed the dynamic of our top 6, we were almost handcuffed with having to keep him as #2C when he might otherwise fit better on the top 6 wing, or as a #3C shutdown line kind of guy. He turned into Noesen for us, so again - long term might be better.

Elliot, no I think this year is a largely a product of Hitchcock and stepping in as a backup, plus a fresh start of his own control. If he was here, he'd still have all the mental baggage and forced to be the starter for long runs at a time.

Now if we hired Hitchcock, keeping the above three might have been a bit more interesting - and maybe Auld would still be considered NHL calibre.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

These guys were pretty bad last year. Change in culture was also a big part in our success.

I think it's just for the best that we parted. Funny how well they all fit in their respective teams though.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Sens Mile

I like the assets we go for Fisher, Noesen is just ripping things up right now. Try not to forget that we still have Nashville's 2012 3rd rounder so curious to see who we can get with that asset

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Gil Gunderson

Team needed change, those guys needed to move on.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
HappyDude
Classless

It was due time to part ways with those guys.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
I thought about this the other day as well... I didnt think of Elliot but I wondered where we would be if we had kept Fisher or Kelly... Their salary wouldnt effect our cap now and we dont have anyone from those deals in our lineup so Im sure with Fisher in our 2-3 slot with Turris in the other we would be a much better team...

It sucked losing long time Sens but that decision was made and we are doing well so....

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Cowen Time

No.

Wish them well. Sens are in better shape for the future.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

vCash: 50
You forgot Kovalev

Patvolcom65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:11 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
We'd be out of the playoffs. All of their successes this year are due in part to a change in scenery. They needed to move on, and we needed to do so as well. No way would they be doing as well as they are this year without a fresh start, nor would we.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:30 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Sometimes a good player has to leave for the benefit of the team

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:39 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

I think Kovalev would have actually been a contributing factor in a Maclean system, and I stand by that.

I think Fisher would surpass 60 points this season if he were here as our 2nd line C. I've never really been a fisher fan either.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Minister of Offence

Older.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Germz
4th liners ftw

The time was right for Fisher and Elliott to go, and the returns were worthwhile.

I'm glad to see both thriving, but Fisher gets a ton of minutes for a great all-around team that lacks top centremen, and Elliott's playing behind a brilliant Hitchcock team. Both guys came into great situations and I'm happy for both, but I'm happier to have Anderson, Noesen, and another spot for younger players to break into.

I was very sad to see Kelly go, and I could still see him as part of the team, especially since we lost Winchester for most of the season and were forced to play Konopka so much. But he's more valuable to a contender like Boston than he is to us at this point, and the return ended up being Prince which is hard not to like right now.

At the moment, I'm still happy with all three moves.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
ClubSandwiches

Regarding Kelly and Fisher, I guess since their replacements are Smith and Turris, I would currently have to say I'm optimistic about their departure. Smith and Turris have at least both shown being capable of being acceptable replacements, and I have reason to believe they both could surpass their predecessors at least in offense/truculence for Smith, and pure offense for Turris.

Regarding Elliot, I really think it's less about the goaltender and more about the system he plays in. I'm not saying Elliot is a beneficiary of playing for Hitchcock, because I don't feel Anderson would play as well for Hitchcock. I do however love the way Anderson allows our players to play a game with a sort of reckless abandon I haven't seen since Hasek was our keeper. It's easy to tell Bishop is a good goalie, but the team plays differently in front of him, and it shows. That's why I'm euphoric about having Anderson on our team, and right now short of a Lundqvist or Tim Thomas, I wouldn't want any other goalie on our team, regardless of what the stats say.

ClubSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I can't say that I have.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:10 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
These guys were pretty bad last year. Change in culture was also a big part in our success.

I think it's just for the best that we parted. Funny how well they all fit in their respective teams though.
Pretty much this. Our team struggled and we needed both a culture change in the organization and a culture change in the fanbase. There was just way too much stress and pressure in Ottawa last year.

03-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Canuckman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Sometimes a good player has to leave for the benefit of the team
Maybe as far as the team is concerned but personally from the players perspective...don't really see this happening. They leave for greener pastures..more money(sometimes)...better icetime...-go to a winning team...winning city..new start.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:43 PM
shelby82

greening spezza michalek
fisher turris alfredson
foligno smith neil
condra orien klinkhamer

yup i do. and then next year add zib and silfv to that mix

shelby82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Nope, having too much fun watching this team to care.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:20 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
To answer the OP, nope, I don't think about "what could be" if Fisher, Kelly, and Elliott were on the club. I don't think it's a guarantee that if they were still here that the team would be playing as well or better.

In addition...

Having Fisher would mean no Turris on this team. It also means one of Puempel or Noesen wouldn't be in the system. I'd rather easily have Turris and Puempel/Noesen than just Fisher.

Zack Smith has easily replaced Kelly in his role as the 3rd-line centre. While Smith is erratic at times, he's a good two-way forward and provides toughness.

Elliott is having a great year in St. Louis. However, it was clear that he wasn't able to handle the #1 chores in hockey-mad Ottawa. In St. Louis, he gets to share the chores with Halak and in a less stressful environment.
This post sums things up perfectly. Agree with everything.

I miss Kelly and hope to see him back here one day. Fisher, well it was his time to move on and I don't think there'd be much difference in our play with him in the line up. And Elliott well let's just say St.Louis is the perfect system for him, and he doesn't have to carry the whole load, works out very well for him. It wasn't happening for him here and he was able to revive his career after a couple rough seasons. Nothing more and nothing less. I'm very happy with Anderson.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
We're better without them plus we got a better prospect pool because of trading some of them.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Ed Wood

Would this team be better with the number one centre from a western conference playoff team, a number three centre with the second best plus-minus in the league and the goaltender with the best save pct. and goals against in the league? I can't believe you had to ask.

Ed Wood is online now   Reply With Quote