HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Ever wonder what our team could be if we kept Fisher/Kelly/Elliott?

Old
03-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Would this team be better with the number one centre from a western conference playoff team, a number three centre with the second best plus-minus in the league and the goaltender with the best save pct. and goals against in the league? I can't believe you had to ask.
It's not that simple. Every team has chemistry and intangibles that put what looks good on paper out the window. The Sens needed to start fresh and needed the new, young, hungry boys in the line up. That's why they have been so successful.

Spezza19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
It's not that simple. Every team has chemistry and intangibles that put what looks good on paper out the window. The Sens needed to start fresh and needed the new, young, hungry boys in the line up. That's why they have been so successful.
I can't get past the simple fact that better players make your team better. If those three players are better than three players currently on our roster then of course they improve the team. This isn't to say that I was opposed to the re-build. I wasn't. Moving Kelly and Fiher should strengthen us long term. Not so much Elliott.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSandwiches View Post
right now short of a Lundqvist or Tim Thomas, I wouldn't want any other goalie on our team, regardless of what the stats say.
Really? Because I'd be doing backflips if we could get Cam Ward or MA Fleury or Carey Price for Andy (No disrespect to andy)

RISPECK CLASS 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSandwiches View Post
right now short of a Lundqvist or Tim Thomas, I wouldn't want any other goalie on our team, regardless of what the stats say.
It's also been a dream of mine for the Sens to have the goalie with the 26th best save pct. in the league. Mission accomplished.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:28 PM
BK201

Not really Kelly leaves and wins a cup and fisher and Elliot are both on cup contending teams.

Seems like a good deal for them and us tbh.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Cowen Time

Quote:
I can't get past the simple fact that better players make your team better. If those three players are better than three players currently on our roster then of course they improve the team. This isn't to say that I was opposed to the re-build. I wasn't. Moving Kelly and Fiher should strengthen us long term. Not so much Elliott.

Loads of teams out there that have looked amazing on paper, and much less so on the ice. Pre-cap era, teams would buy great rosters that didn't click.

Nobody figured Elliott would rebound this much. At the very best, maybe a solid starter. Stuff happens. If he stayed with Ottawa, I don't think he would be the goaltender that he is with the Blues. After being traded by Ottawa AND sucking with the Avs, he made some key life changes.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:16 PM
ClubSandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyintherain View Post
Really? Because I'd be doing backflips if we could get Cam Ward or MA Fleury or Carey Price for Andy (No disrespect to andy)
No disrespect to them, but I just don't place that much value in goalies. I feel there's less than a hand-full that are consistent game changers, and the rest that are viewed as good or great were just lucky to find a suitable system for themselves. With Anderson I feel we've found the perfect goalie for our team currently. The team dynamic/system may change, and Anderson might outlive his welcome, but currently I wouldn't want too many goalies over him.

Quote:
It's also been a dream of mine for the Sens to have the goalie with the 26th best save pct. in the league. Mission accomplished.
He's also top ten in wins for a goalie. Either way, there's enough stats to argue either case (him being a bad or good keeper), but I think the proof lies in the fan-base acting like the sky was falling when he got his ouchie a month ago.

ClubSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:18 PM
topshelfie

I guess I'm of the mindset that Clouston was a really bad coach, and Paul Maclean is making everyone that performed badly last year look much better than they were under Clouston.

I just can't help but wonder how our team would perform with them still here under a good coach.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Ice-Tray

Not for a second, I'm glad their gone. This team looks really good going forward, and as other have said I would rather have Turris, the first rounder, Andy, and the spots for our kids.

We have younger and better players on our team now than Fisher and Kelly, and as for Elliott, who can say how he'd be here now, but we do know how he was here, and it doesn't compare even slightly to what Andy has done for us.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Bueller

There's no way that Elliott would be enjoying the same success if he were still in Ottawa.

Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:20 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
There's no way that Elliott would be enjoying the same success if he were still in Ottawa.
I have basically lost all of my faith in stats this season. I would not even be surprised if Elliott wasn't even in the league in, say, two years, despite this remarkable statistical season.

Also, I really agree with the post above re: just how bad was Clouston? Great job by McLean, but man, Clouston really made a mess of things... considering the line-up was actually pretty solid on paper. A lot better than we thought it was at the time, anyway.

mcnorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Matt The Ace
HFBoards Sponsor

I love Fisher, Kelly, and Elliott but I love our new team even more so.

Having guys like Kelly and Fisher who have been on this team for a while now, would have a bigger expectation compared to the young guys and the way the team was going, that was not happening.

So if things don't work you change it up, and Murray did, and it's great. Now since this team is full of young players there a less of an expectation from there which kind of clears the air.

I always find you need a good mix of young talent and veterans for a successful hockey team.

EDIT: I forgot about Elliott...

The air for him was very different when Leclaire was dying on us and we needed to lean on someone and that someone was Elliott. He didn't have the experience to carry the team and in St.Louis if things go wrong, don't sweat it, you have Halak with you. Its a much more relaxing role. Worked out well for him and the Sens to part ways.

Matt The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Cowen Time

Good point. Elliot only has 36 starts. Excellent year for his development.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:19 PM
StayThirstyMyFriend

I was thinking about posting a similar thread... I also wonder how much better the team would be. Wasn't sad to see Elliot leave and Smith is a more complete player than Kelly but given that the asset we got for Fisher isn't on the team yet, I too was wondering how much better the team would be with him in the lineup.

A hard working player with size and speed like Fisher would make this team even better. Slotted in the 3rd line center position with smith in 4th, spezza 1st and turris 2nd would make the team pretty solid down the middle. Considering our other options in the middle, I'd take Fisher over O'Brien and Konopka.

Last edited by StayThirstyMyFriend: 03-28-2012 at 09:26 PM.
StayThirstyMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:22 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Why are people stuck in the past??? These players are gone and our team is in the playoff hunt this season without them. It is time to move on, time to live in the present. I don't wonder about Fisher or the others and Fisher was one of my favourites while he played for Ottawa. I stay in the present and wonder what our future prospects will be like once they hit the NHL.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:28 PM
DrEasy
Allez Stephane !

vCash: 840
I feel that last year's performance (or lack thereof) had much more to do with injuries to key players than to bad coaching. Clouston, warts and all, had managed much better results with the same crew the year before (and again despite injuries). Now we see again what a healthy Fisher can do, just like we see it this year with Alfie, Spezza, Michalek and KUBA.

Having said that, a coaching change and a rebuild were necessary, and watching this team has been extremely enjoyable, so no regrets.

As for Kelly and Elliott, no regrets whatsoever.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayThirstyMyFriend View Post
I was thinking about posting a similar thread... I also wonder how much better the team would be. Wasn't sad to see Elliot leave and Smith is a more complete player than Kelly but given that the asset we got for Fisher isn't on the team yet, I too was wondering how much better the team would be with him in the lineup.

A hard working player with size and speed like Fisher would make this team even better. Slotted in the 3rd line center position with smith in 4th, spezza 1st and turris 2nd would make the team pretty solid down the middle. Considering our other options in the middle, I'd take Fisher over O'Brien and Konopka.
We likely wouldnt have made a move for Turris though because with Fisher's salary and status on the team he'd be the #2C. So it would be an insult to trade for a project and demote him down a line ti make room.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
StayThirstyMyFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
We likely wouldnt have made a move for Turris though because with Fisher's salary and status on the team he'd be the #2C. So it would be an insult to trade for a project and demote him down a line ti make room.
Good teams are solid down the middle. Could be a 2a 2b situation with the better line getting more ice time on any given night and considering we have foligno on the 2nd power play unit, I think fisher would be better there./

StayThirstyMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 100
Until now, it never even crossed my mind.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:28 AM
tony d
The man

Fisher, Kelly and Elliott are 3 good players and did good for this team. That said we wouldn't be in the playoffs at all if we still had those 3 players.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:39 AM
OgieO

I love Kelly, but I like what Smith brings us more than what Kelly would be doing here.

Elliott would not be doing what he's doing in StL if he were still here. He'd still suck. He needed a change. Good for him though, glad he's succeeding.

Fisher's doing well in Nashville, but we got a good prospect and I think the chemistry is better on that second line now.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:45 AM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Definitely not, though I am happy to see him do well in St. Louis.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Synthetek

vCash: 408
Send a message via AIM to Synthetek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patvolcom65 View Post
You forgot Kovalev
Who?

Synthetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:19 AM
trentmccleary

Elliott is a back-up goalie. Always has been and always will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyintherain View Post
Fleury doesn't impress me at all. He overrated, overpaid and living off of the talents of others. And I don't think that just because he's our personal *****... so much so, that Pittsburgh keeps playing Johnson against every game.

Ward, meh. Maybe.

Price. Definitely.

Quote:
Now put him behind a competent defensive team. You know... one that isn't dead last in shots against in the NHL. Yet by some miracle is actually in a playoff spot.

Anderson is and has done a lot for this team already. Quite a few goalies in the league would have developed PTSD by this point in the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
I feel that last year's performance (or lack thereof) had much more to do with injuries to key players than to bad coaching. Clouston, warts and all, had managed much better results with the same crew the year before (and again despite injuries). Now we see again what a healthy Fisher can do, just like we see it this year with Alfie, Spezza, Michalek and KUBA.

Having said that, a coaching change and a rebuild were necessary, and watching this team has been extremely enjoyable, so no regrets.

As for Kelly and Elliott, no regrets whatsoever.
Ottawa had 3 brutal losing stretches last season:

1) first 6 games = coaching problems
2) 10 games around mid-Nov = probably not due to coaching or injuries... don't really want to dwell on the cause of this one.
3) 18 games around Jan = Spezza out, Alfie hobbled and a complete meltdown by Elliott.

34 games total = 4-24-6 record

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Quo
storms in my knees

From time to time I do occaisionally have that nightmare.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote