HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ever wonder what our team could be if we kept Fisher/Kelly/Elliott?

Old
03-29-2012, 09:33 AM
bacon25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyintherain View Post
Really? Because I'd be doing backflips if we could get Cam Ward or MA Fleury or Carey Price for Andy (No disrespect to andy)
Or Quick or Rinne

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 303
If we keep Elliott we get Calnder candidate and excellent two-way player Landeskog; since there wasn't much buzz about Anderson (rumours of fractious attitude surrounding contract talks and personal problems abounded) we could have given him the overpayment as a FA ND had Landeskog.

Mmmmmmmm Landeskog....

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Philoops
Summer Can Distract

It was clear that the sane old guys weren't getting it dine anymore. Our future is brighter because they are gone. I wish them well, but we've already turned this page.

Philoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Someone explain to Ed Wood that games arent played on paper, nevermind, i just did.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Stassino

Stop over valuing Elliot's supposed comeback..

Matt Spezza would have a decent GAA on a Hitckhock team.

Elliot sees every shot and is limited in the amount of high pressure shots he gets.. A hitchcock system makes every goalie look good.. Elliot is still a positional slow goalie, the same one we knew..I watch a lot of St. Louis games because a friend just loves them, and I see nothing special..IMO

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
Someone explain to Ed Wood that games arent played on paper, nevermind, i just did.
Nor are games played in your imaginary world where Zenon Konopka, Alex Auld, and Jim O'Brien contribute more to a teams' success than Mike Fisher et al.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:43 PM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

The Sens would be older, not as good, and lacking as much promise as they do now. Fisher was horribly inconsistent, Kelly had no grit or finish and Elliott is not a #1...I don't care what he's doing in St Louis. Plus, you replace Campoli last year with Jared Cowen this year and everything looks so much better. I'm quite happy with the direction they are taking and am glad not having to hear the back and forth regarding Fisher's ability.

I think the replacements are more intense to boot. Those other guys seemed a bit too...nice.

SlapJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Nor are games played in your imaginary world where Zenon Konopka, Alex Auld, and Jim O'Brien contribute more to a teams' success than Mike Fisher et al.
Nice try. None of those players were their replacements. I would rather have Andy than Elliott, Turris than Fisher, and Smith over Kelly. And then of course there is that first rounder...

This team is better without them, that is all.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
Nice try. None of those players were their replacements. I would rather have Andy than Elliott, Turris than Fisher, and Smith over Kelly. And then of course there is that first rounder...

This team is better without them, that is all.

As always you've missed the point entirely.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:53 PM
burgess1978

I think everyone can agree that these were the right moves for the future, but the OP was asking what our team would be like with these guys NOW.

We have no way of knowing how the team would have performed with these guys AND Paul Maclean as coach. On paper we would have been a better team with these guys.

There are also a lot of "what-ifs". Someone mentioned that if Fisher wasn't traded we wouldn't have Turris - which would mean we still have Rundblad in the system, and probably don't make the Gilroy trade.

While I am happy with all of those moves, you could argue that the FIRST move made should have be fire Clouston and see how those guys responded to a new coach - but again "what if" Maclean didn't get the job?

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:

No dude, I didn't.

Your point just seems that silly mirrored back to you. Keep at it though, you entertain me.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
I think everyone can agree that these were the right moves for the future, but the OP was asking what our team would be like with these guys NOW.

We have no way of knowing how the team would have performed with these guys AND Paul Maclean as coach. On paper we would have been a better team with these guys.

There are also a lot of "what-ifs". Someone mentioned that if Fisher wasn't traded we wouldn't have Turris - which would mean we still have Rundblad in the system, and probably don't make the Gilroy trade.

While I am happy with all of those moves, you could argue that the FIRST move made should have be fire Clouston and see how those guys responded to a new coach - but again "what if" Maclean didn't get the job?

In my opinion, we are better now on paper than we would be with Kelly, Fisher, and Elliott, replacing the players we brought in to replace them, i.e. Turris, Smith, Anderson.

The first move should not have been to fire the coach. The GM finally got the green light to rebuild and as the trade deadline approached, the first order of business was to get some quality assets back for players that were not going to a part of the rebuild. Keeping these guys until this year would have stalled the rebuild that we so desperately needed.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:56 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

No...

We got Andy for Elliott, it was an absolute steal for us... Elliott is playing a perfect system for himself, with a capable joint starter - Not Pascal Leclaire... (Kinda says it all really).

Do I miss Fisher or Kelly? Not really...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:30 AM
pmedguy
Welcome back#87

Hindsight is 20/20. However the Sens were a non-playoff team with these guys in the lineup last season. The future looks bright with their replacements.

pmedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:14 AM
thammias

Quote:

I think you've missed the point.
The whole point of rebuild/ retool. Sure maybe and thats a big MAYBE we would have a few more wins this season if we had Fisher/Kelly, but thats just shortsighted. Both Fisher and Kelly are 30 years old. First off we don't trade for 22 year old Turris if they are here. Second of all unless they are here and we were to win the cup in the next couple years, An aging Fisher (for sure) and (maybe) Kelly are useless to us when Karlsson, Cowen, Zib, Silfverberg all hit their prime/stride.

Maybe I'm speaking for myself but a big part of why I'm excited as a Sens fan is that we have so many young talented assets all coming up together at the same time. The only reason we would have kept them is for veteran leadership but obviously management has already decided by not trading them who they think is best suited for that role.( Alfie, Spezza, Phillips, Neil...)

thammias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
It may be an imaginary world but in mine it was Peter Regin and Jesse Winchester not Konopka or O'Brien - but clearly my crystal ball was broken.

i do not believe that either Fisher or Kelly would have played at their respective levels in Ottawa, and id rather Smith than Kelly in the lineup.
So if your question is would we be better if we had a Fisher playing the way he is in Nashville? maybe, unfortunately it doesnt work that way.
there is also the issue of the stale unresponsive dressing room and you can make the argument that we would have been worse since that team had zero chemistry left and it was veteran heavy room who may not have been as eager as this group.

so no i dont ever wonder what this team would have been like with those guys- i lived that nightmare for the past 3 years and im glad that group was broken up , dealt away and that we moved into a new era.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:59 AM
KarlSen

If the guys stayed, there would be no kick in the pants to the team culture, no infusion of energy and competing for spots from the younger players. There is no reason to believe that keeping the same mix would have resulted in the team lifting itself out of the rut it was in. Bingo would have a better team though.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
It may be an imaginary world but in mine it was Peter Regin and Jesse Winchester not Konopka or O'Brien - but clearly my crystal ball was broken.

i do not believe that either Fisher or Kelly would have played at their respective levels in Ottawa, and id rather Smith than Kelly in the lineup.
So if your question is would we be better if we had a Fisher playing the way he is in Nashville? maybe, unfortunately it doesnt work that way.
there is also the issue of the stale unresponsive dressing room and you can make the argument that we would have been worse since that team had zero chemistry left and it was veteran heavy room who may not have been as eager as this group.

so no i dont ever wonder what this team would have been like with those guys- i lived that nightmare for the past 3 years and im glad that group was broken up , dealt away and that we moved into a new era.
This thread is pretty fanciful at best. I respect your opinion on this and don't for a minute disagree with your assertion that the team is better off in the long term. What disturbs me is a sense throughout this thread that Fisher and Kelly were somehow a big part of the reason the Sens were failing. I believe they were two of the most consumate professionals to ever don Sens gear and both have contributed hugely to their new teams. As for Elliott, his play was an obvious factor in last years poor season but no one can ever say for certain that his emergence would not have happened here. A change of scenery and system has surely helped him but talent is talent and you don't put up the kind of numbers he has this year without it.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:01 AM
KarlSen

Fisher was also a value for money issue. His value to the team was overshadowed by popularity.

The Kelly trade was the only one that bothered me.

I don't understand the desire for threads like this when the team has taken a course that is working out very well.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:02 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Paul Maclean has come in and done a great job,and I'm really happy with our current team.

That being said, myself and some friends were wondering what our team would be like with last years players still here?

I think we would be 4 or 5 wins ahead of our current position challenging Boston. Thoughts?
Absolutely not, Anderson is better than Elliot strait up. Elliots a product of a fantastic system and a team, in this lineup he would get lit up. He is good on the first shot when his confidence is high he is brutal on consistent quality scoring chances we witnessed it for 2 years.

Id rather have Turris then fisher he makes his linemates better and brings more creativity and offense. Is arguably already as good and is only getting better.

The removal of Kelly has allowed Smith and Obrien to get into the lineup. Smith will be better then Kelly in a couple of years. That being said I hope they re-sign Kelly in the offseason and drop some dead weight.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Xspyrit

But what if we kept Hossa/Chara/Havlat???

"Revisionist history" doesn't accomplish much

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:10 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Quote:

Um last year we were in the Top 5 drafting, after we traded them away we started doing better. It's insane to keep going with the same team in hoping they'll put it together. They weren't going to, all of us accepted that and changes had to be made. If you wanted to absolutely tank this year, then yeah we could keep them together.

Yeah it sucked to see someone like Fisher go, but he seems to be happy in Nashville. Plus our team is way better and we got a lot of assets we needed in return for the trades.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Rooverick*

Nope.

Nice guys all and I wish them nothing but the best, however I'm far happier with what we have going forward.

Rooverick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Mark Effin Stone
Jävla grisapa!

vCash: 50
I like where we are now

Mark Effin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote