Notices

Mikael Granlund III

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

vCash: 500
He has been absolutely meh in this tournament.

He's small, he's soft, he's slow, and hasn't generated much offense.

Hopefully the change in scenery this summer turns it around

Old
05-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
So, looks like he's either benched or injured...

Old
05-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

Uhh... Granlund apparently benched against Kazakhstan, and rightfully so. He's been useless again. Don't know what's wrong with him but he's not himself. He's scared all the time with and without the puck, doesn't hit, doesn't skate. Frustrating.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Post-concussion, calling it. Prob dates back months.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Fel 96
JFC

He might have a mononucleosis.

I mean, who knows at this point?

Old
05-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
He might have a mononucleosis.

I mean, who knows at this point?
He probably would have been recovered from mononucleosis by now.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He was out for a month with "mono" a few months ago. Remember when Butch tried to come back and had flu-like symptoms, played one crap game where he looked completely out of sorts, then missed another 15 months of hockey?

Old
05-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Was just confirmed in Finnish broadcast, there is no injury. He is benched because of his play. Or so says the team

Old
05-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
Was just confirmed in Finnish broadcast, there is no injury. He is benched because of his play. Or so says the team
So in other words that blown shootout attempt in the WJC has made him come completely unraveled like sub-standard cloth.

Just great. So now instead of Finnish Baby Jesus signing on the 20th, we've potentially got the Biggest Headcase in Finland signing with us.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

More likely he got hit in the WJC's, tried to play through a concussion, missed a month trying to recover, came back early, and hasn't been very good.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
So in other words that blown shootout attempt in the WJC has made him come completely unraveled like sub-standard cloth.

Just great. So now instead of Finnish Baby Jesus signing on the 20th, we've potentially got the Biggest Headcase in Finland signing with us.
I really think he's somewhat burnt out mentally.

Wild need to get him out of Finland ASAP.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:11 PM
The Boyle Sisters
six dollar papers

Quote:
I really think he's somewhat burnt out mentally.

Wild need to get him out of Finland ASAP.
I agree. Too much media circus among other things. Let the dude rekindle his flame and passion for the game across the pond.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

Blown shootout attempt... Or the concussion he sustained? My money is on the concussion.

He would have been playing against Kazakhstan today. I doubt the issue is pressure.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
That's a great news then.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Still doesn't mean anything IMO.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:52 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

I agree with the possible concussion. Either way, not panicking about it yet. Give him time off after signing the contract and a new adventure in the States, and it could do him some good.

We don't know if he'll pan out, but every player hits the wall a few times. A few months shouldn't erase the years of successes. We're so desperate for a prospect to become a star that we're putting the highest of hopes on this guy, and it's almost unrealistic. He's not gonna make the earth move. He's a kid who has a lot to learn. It's too dang early to draw conclusions about him.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:04 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

if people are complaining about granlund give me a break. the guy has 4 assists in 6 games, playing basically at the NHL level. who is he playing on a line with anyway? he may get better linemates in MN, he is doing fine

Old
05-14-2012, 04:04 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Really hope a few years in AHL will toughen him up. Seems like a wet rag out there now. It seems it's not even injury related, he is just weak. I've been saying for years that he's not strong enough for NHL.

Can't help but wonder how much that one awesome goal lifted him in the draft. There's just no way he is NHL ready and no way to tell at this point if he will ever be ready.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:06 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowi View Post

Can't help but wonder how much that one awesome goal lifted him in the draft. There's just no way he is NHL ready and no way to tell at this point if he will ever be ready.
the wild drafted him before he scored that lacrosse goal if thats what your referring to

Old
05-14-2012, 04:07 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
if people are complaining about granlund give me a break. the guy has 4 assists in 6 games, playing basically at the NHL level. who is he playing on a line with anyway? he may get better linemates in MN, he is doing fine
No really, he is losing the puck all the time, making rash passes, falling down from a feather-touch and all-around isn't on his game when there's pressure.

Maybe there's a hidden injury, but he isn't doing well at all. Healthy scratch for tonight's game.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:08 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
the wild drafted him before he scored that lacrosse goal if thats what your referring to
Thanks, didn't even realise that.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Spawnisen
Believe.

Oh come on. He's 20 years old, he has played 1 (almost) full SM Liiga season + post season. He has played the WJC while he was exhausted and now he's in the WC with tons of expectations + returning from an injury.
He has 4 assists in 6 games, yes he did look bad vs Canada and USA but come on, give him some slack. He is Jesus, not God.

He needs to get out of Finland and their media coverage and 24/7 ad-making. He needs to get away from hockey for a few weeks and just relax and get 100% healthy. I'm not worried.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:27 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
He needs to get out of Finland and their media coverage and 24/7 ad-making. He needs to get away from hockey for a few weeks and just relax and get 100% healthy. I'm not worried.
It really isn't his skill that is in doubt, for the most part, it is his size and strength. Of course he can be an awesome player (even in NHL) with his hands, but it will take some serious weight/muscle to be able to play in NA properly.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:30 PM
urho

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowi View Post
No really, he is losing the puck all the time, making rash passes, falling down from a feather-touch and all-around isn't on his game when there's pressure.
I do understand this "you're as good as your last game"-mentality but it's not really fair when we're talking about Granlund. He was stellar before the WJC-tournament and after that something got to him - is it a mono or small concussion, I don't care. He's been playing badly at his standards for a few months and people seem to forget how he looked before that.

Come on. It's telling something that even when he's at his worst, he was still a key piece for HIFK and he's been quite useful for Team Finland too, he actually started the tournament looking very good. What I liked about this Kazakstan-game was his last shift, where he seemed to be REALLY pissed, just flew past 3 opponents and gave Immonen a brilliant pass. The potential hasn't gone away. He's just having a hard time right now and maybe for the first time of his young career. Some of us really use the panic-button too easily. Calm down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
He is Jesus, not God.
In this pseudomonotheistic religion called Christianity, they're the same. I see more Horus in him than Jesus!

Old
05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

His size and strenght were not a problem last year. He wasn't afraid to go into corners, or hit people, or challenge them 1-on-1. Now he's afraid of everything and nothing seems to work for him. I think he's not 100% healthy yet and the rest of it is some kind of mental fatigue. Hope he can recover before the NHL season. But I guess it's not the end of the world if he plays in Houston next year.

Closed Thread