Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Minnesota
L'…toile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowi View Post
Really hope a few years in AHL will toughen him up. Seems like a wet rag out there now. It seems it's not even injury related, he is just weak. I've been saying for years that he's not strong enough for NHL.

Can't help but wonder how much that one awesome goal lifted him in the draft. There's just no way he is NHL ready and no way to tell at this point if he will ever be ready.

A few years in the AHL?
Forwards peak early, which means his clock is ticking. Playing for the Aeros would be a huge mistake in his development, IMO.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Granin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
His size and strenght were not a problem last year. He wasn't afraid to go into corners, or hit people, or challenge them 1-on-1. Now he's afraid of everything and nothing seems to work for him. I think he's not 100% healthy yet and the rest of it is some kind of mental fatigue. Hope he can recover before the NHL season. But I guess it's not the end of the world if he plays in Houston next year.
Absolutely agree with this, it's kind of hard to see how he could have simply become a worse player. He was one of the best players on a gold winning team at the WC just a year ago and followed it up by exceeding the already high expectations in the first half of the SM-liiga season. Somethings clearly wrong now. There's plenty of time to recover during the summer but maybe starting in Houston is not a bad idea. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
if people are complaining about granlund give me a break. the guy has 4 assists in 6 games, playing basically at the NHL level. who is he playing on a line with anyway? he may get better linemates in MN, he is doing fine
Team Kazakhstan is hardly NHL level and he just got benched due to poor play against them. Plus he pretty much sucked in the two previous games aswell. He was playing on the exact same line as last year. That's not fine. If he'd be playing like this on an NHL team, many people on hfboards would probably call him a bust already (not that it matters though)

Old
05-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 50
I think a little rest and relaxation would do the kid a world of good.

He went straight from winning SM-Liga, to winning the World Championship, to finishing school, to the army, then right back into another LONG season of team hockey and tournaments, all amidst a media circus and mystery illness.

Let him recharge the batteries and show up for Wild training camp raring to go and with something to prove.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Granin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post

A few years in the AHL?
Forwards peak early, which means his clock is ticking. Playing for the Aeros would be a huge mistake in his development, IMO.
I think that's mostly true for players who rely on their physical skills like speed or strength to be great. Whereas Granlund is mainly about high hockey IQ, passing and puckhandling. I think those kinds of players tend to peak later, especially smaller ones (Datsyuk, St. Louis, Briere to name a few have had their best seasons in their 30's) I think we'll be seeing Granlund play his best hockey at around 28, like Filppula now, assuming he stays healthy of course. So there's plenty of time.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:32 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granin View Post
I think that's mostly true for players who rely on their physical skills like speed or strength to be great. Whereas Granlund is mainly about high hockey IQ, passing and puckhandling. I think those kinds of players tend to peak later, especially smaller ones (Datsyuk, St. Louis, Briere to name a few have had their best seasons in their 30's) I think we'll be seeing Granlund play his best hockey at around 28, like Filppula now, assuming he stays healthy of course. So there's plenty of time.
I agree with a lot of this.

Those guys you mentioned do not lose many pucks in the corners, they grind it out like everyone else. Anyone who goes for NHL needs some basic strength in the corners, even if he is mainly a playmaker. Size really isn't such an issue it's mainly about how you can move your weight around (Theo Fleury), you can be a cannonball, or you can be a noodle, your choice.

I think Granlund just needs some more muscle during the off-season and he'll be fine playing like 15-25 games in NHL and rest in AHL.

I don't know how many years it will take, but I just don't (opinions are like *******s) think he is ready for NHL in the next 2-3 years.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

Quote:
I don't know how many years it will take, but I just don't (opinions are like *******s) think he is ready for NHL in the next 2-3 years.
Honest question: Did you watch him last year, or even beginning of this season, or just base your opinion on what you're seeing right now on the ice?

Old
05-14-2012, 05:06 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
His size and strenght were not a problem last year. He wasn't afraid to go into corners, or hit people, or challenge them 1-on-1. Now he's afraid of everything and nothing seems to work for him. I think he's not 100% healthy yet and the rest of it is some kind of mental fatigue. Hope he can recover before the NHL season. But I guess it's not the end of the world if he plays in Houston next year.
Sounds like most guys who come back from a concussion. Butch was afraid for quite a while. Actually, he was afraid before the concussions.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:51 PM
janecky

Quote:
Really hope a few years in AHL will toughen him up. Seems like a wet rag out there now. It seems it's not even injury related, he is just weak. I've been saying for years that he's not strong enough for NHL.
Sorry, but that is just nonsense. The kid's key skills are his vision, hockey sense, and playmaking, and they've been NHL ready for a while. Lack of strength wasn't an issue last year at this time, so it's not the issue now. I don't think his present struggling has anything to do with any supposed lack of development.

In any case, there is zero chance of Granlund going to North America to play for AHL money, and that's excluding any concussion related concerns. The AHL idea is preposterous when he could earn millions signing in the KHL. In his shoes I wouldn't even consider playing in the AHL. Get assigned to the AHL for "a couple of months", get injured, and you could be on AHL money for the rest of the year. Not an acceptable risk for a player of his stature with more lucrative options on the table.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Might have just been the hype that people thought Granlund would be a NHL superstar but I've always projected Granlund as a sort of Saku Koivu player (in his prime), even after all the hype. I think that still holds true, and if he does turn out like Koivu, I will be more than happy.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:44 AM
bar1ton1

Granlund has just been worn out. His skills have not gone anywhere. The kid just needs a break. MG64 will be back next season.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar1ton1 View Post
Granlund has just been worn out. His skills have not gone anywhere. The kid just needs a break. MG64 will be back next season.
1. Welcome!

2. Let's hope so.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:03 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
I think Granlund and Koivu are both going to need each other next year. Let's hope they jump-start each other. Get your minds out of the gutter.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:24 AM
Minnesota
L'…toile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
I think Granlund and Koivu are both going to need each other next year. Let's hope they jump-start each other. Get your minds out of the gutter.
Reunited and it feels so goooooood...

Old
05-15-2012, 02:26 AM
Poro24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar1ton1 View Post
Granlund has just been worn out. His skills have not gone anywhere. The kid just needs a break.
Yeah. Last year he was maybe the best player in the whole tournament. So he has the skills to play in the NHL (eh, and you all have seen what he has done in the past few years...). But just now he looks so tired and lost .

I think that because of the military service and all the other crap he's summer training went horribly wrong. And he played way too big minutes this season in IFK too. In many games Mikael was IFK's number one penalty killer and right after that he was playing in the first powerplay unit. I remember some games where he played almost 30 minutes. IFK's season started badly and the coach didn't know what to do, so he just put Mikael in the ice all the time. It was just too much.

Last edited by Poro24: 05-15-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old
05-15-2012, 04:23 AM
Misleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Might have just been the hype that people thought Granlund would be a NHL superstar but I've always projected Granlund as a sort of Saku Koivu player (in his prime), even after all the hype. I think that still holds true, and if he does turn out like Koivu, I will be more than happy.
So we are talking about a player that could potentially win the scoring title. As we all remember Koivu was leading the points race in season 1996-1997 before he was injured.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:47 AM
Brun0

What Granlund is still the same player, this season has just worn him out! Some rest and he will be a superstar next season, some proper training etc...

1. He had HIFK championship party
2. Finnish WC ship party
3. Concussion
4. Though WJC where he wasnt 100% recoverd, the team was totally on his shoulders.
5. Carrying his Whole club team HIFK almost thgrough the whole year.
6. Played in some games close 28 mins per game.
7. Had a hard influenza/fever and came back too early for playoffs and hasnt had the time to recover.
8. Finnsih media!
9. On going WC and getting slacked
10. Military service
11. High school final exams

I mean thats got the be the thoughest season ever for a 19-year-old!!!

Just give him time hell be fine...

Old
05-15-2012, 09:31 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbunder View Post
I know last summer there was some pressure to have him come over, but they essentially left it up to him. seeing how tired/not in shape koivu came back from service this season, i'm ok with it.
Koivu did around 11 days of service, MG 16 total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
Oh come on. He's 20 years old, he has played 1 (almost) full SM Liiga season + post season. He has played the WJC while he was exhausted and now he's in the WC with tons of expectations + returning from an injury.
He has 4 assists in 6 games, yes he did look bad vs Canada and USA but come on, give him some slack.

He needs to get out of Finland and their media coverage and 24/7 ad-making. He needs to get away from hockey for a few weeks and just relax and get 100% healthy. I'm not worried.
This. He's still just a kid, he's got a LOT of pressure, he's expected to do too way too much, maybe he overachieved a little at last year's WC. Maybe he's not healthy. His vision and IQ aren't going anywhere what's his major strength.

He's had so much stuff going around him for too long.

I'm not worried at all. If he continues on this level for a couple of years, I might get little worried about him but not now, not on a so small sample size and remembering the circumstances.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:36 AM
InjuredChoker

And although he's play isn't as good as last year (linemates aren't either, though) he's at ppg pace against non-NA teams.. just like last year. He's always suffered (more or less) against NA-teams.

Just a note.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How the hell can two weeks of military training completely derail a professional athlete for an entire year?

My cousin's a pro motocross racer and just ran a marathon for fun two weeks ago and then won all his races this weekend. And he's 18 and weighs maybe a buck fifty soaking wet.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How the hell can two weeks of military training completely derail a professional athlete for an entire year?

My cousin's a pro motocross racer and just ran a marathon for fun two weeks ago and then won all his races this weekend. And he's 18 and weighs maybe a buck fifty soaking wet.
Are you just looking for reasons not to like FBJ now or what?

He is a national hero for what he has done at the international level up until this past year. According to some of our Finnish posters on this board, FBJ is followed around by Finnish paparazzi like any of the A-list movie stars of today. The guy is 19 years old and is quite possibly one of the most talked about athletes in Finland.

All that pressure put on you like that? Have you ever had that? Did your amazing pro motorcross racer cousin? No. When a lot of people count on you for a lot of things, that pressure can really get to you. Overexerting yourself, trying to prove it to others.

He had a terrible U20 squad around him at the WJC this year. He had pressure from the entire country of Finland to lead that team to victory. It was literally on his shoulders at one point, and a small mishap caused him to fail. In that situation, all that pressure put on him? By both his countrymen and himself? The chances of him not becoming seriously depressed at that point are slim to none.

Add on military training, which I can almost guarantee you is much much much more physically and mentally draining than "running a marathon for fun". High school? That's more added stress. He's 19 years old. He isn't a 25-30 year old professional athlete who has most of his life figured out and has no responsibility other than playing hockey. Granlund has been a professional athlete for all of three or four years now. That's fine and everything, but he's had to balance athletics, schooling, being a national hero, and now military training and that cannot be easy for anybody.

Granlund has been under performing for months now. Yes, I completely agree. I want more from him. I will not make excuses for him. I will, however, explain the many reasons how and why he hasn't been to the top of his game. Other posters in this thread have done so as well. Before you go on another tangent trying to blast him for no reason with little substance, try reading one of these posts. Don't let your sudden blind hatred get in the way.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Dee Oh Cee

And yet, he still wore the golden helmet for a long time this season...unless I'm mistaken.

Edit: In regards to this entire past year being a disappointment.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Minnesota
L'…toile du Nord

He hasn't even signed his ELC and we're already ripping him a new one.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I was referring to the post where both Koivu and Granlund underperformed because they had to do 10-12 days of military training over the summer. Come on.

These guys aren't doing Navy Seal training. They aren't even doing the standard Finnish military training. They are doing the celebrity/athlete track.

Yes, a pro athlete should be able to kill himself in the gym 5 days a week for the majority of his summer and get STRONGER, not get weaker.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
I have to agree. These guys are getting the cakewalk military treatment, anyways. Shouldn't be that hard.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Minnesota
L'…toile du Nord

Closed Thread