HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergei Kostitsyn: the most underrated Preds hitter?

Old
03-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Sergei Kostitsyn: the most underrated Preds hitter?

If there's any reason as to why SK74 could be considered an underrated hitter, it's because he doesn't hit as much as would AK46 or Weber.

But when he does hit, it's huge. He seems to hit better than a number of players that hit more often.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:51 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
If there's any reason as to why SK74 could be considered an underrated hitter, it's because he doesn't hit as much as would AK46 or Weber.

But when he does hit, it's huge. He seems to hit better than a number of players that hit more often.
When he can control the puck when it comes to him then i will worry about his checking on the d side.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I've sort of noticed that he'll randomly hit someone hard out of nowhere but it's not enough a part of his game for me to keep thinking about it.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I've sort of noticed that he'll randomly hit someone hard out of nowhere but it's not enough a part of his game for me to keep thinking about it.
When SK was a Hab, he was one of those players that could hit better than his brother (when he was on his game), himself the best Habs hitter back then.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:14 AM
WartracePred

I think SK kicked his intensity up a notch when his brother came to Nashville. I noticed that his effort was at a playoff level after the trade deadline. Perhaps competition with big brother challenges Sergei.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
When SK was a Hab, he was one of those players that could hit better than his brother (when he was on his game), himself the best Habs hitter back then.
The difference between the two in my mind is that Andrei will hit harder than Sergei, but he lacks a little of the technique/agility that Sergei can utilise when making a hit. When Andrei hits someone, it's usually someone who he has lined up from a way back and he closes the gap on them and belts them. If they try and sidestep it, he probably misses. The only hit that sticks in my mind where someone tried dodging him and still got belted was Staal when we played the Pens in the playoffs a couple of years ago.

I think that is where Sergei has the edge over Andrei, he adjusts his feet better and can still make a good hit whereas AK doesn't do that so well. I think you can see a little bit of that in their skating styles as well. Under acceleration and turning, Sergei has a little more jump in his step than Andrei who needs to 'power up' to get into his full stride. Sergei is better geared to getting his feet to do what he wants them to do when he wants them to do it whereas Andrei has a touch of turbo lag about him.

In terms of variety to their hitting, I think Sergei has more range of ability or technique but in terms of sheer force, I don't think SK can match Andrei for his straight ahead hitting power/technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
I think SK kicked his intensity up a notch when his brother came to Nashville. I noticed that his effort was at a playoff level after the trade deadline. Perhaps competition with big brother challenges Sergei.
There was some friendly competition between them in Montreal, so I expect that will carry on in Nashville.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote