HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Anaheim-NYI

Old
03-28-2012, 03:22 AM
AmericanRocket91

vCash: 500
Anaheim-NYI

Bobby Ryan for Nino Niederreiter and the Islanders 2012 First round pick. Would the value be fair?

I honestly see Ryan as the odd man out in Anaheim because he just can't find chemistry with the twins. I know he's talked about wanting to anchor his own line next year, but he doesn't have the play making ability to get that done.

Nino Niederreiter has had a horrible season without a doubt, but maybe a change of scenery will do him good. I still think he's got a lot of potential and we'll need a winger for when Teemu retires.

AmericanRocket91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:23 AM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Oh boy...here we go.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Exit Dose

If we move Ryan it isn't going to be for futures. He's also the only top six forward signed past next season.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:28 AM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
I'm going to put this as lightly and nicely as I can.

**** NO!

a former 5th overall pick who deserved to go around 10-14+a top...what 6-8 pick? For a former second overall pick? The second best player behind Sidney Crosby?

Not a shot in hell. We get more production from Kyle Palmieri than you do out of Niederreiter. Hell, we get more production from Matt Beleskey. Change of scenery can top out at what? 30 points? That's not enough to replace 30 goals.

We might end up picking higher than NYI. That gives that pick lower value than you might think. Unless the pick was a guaranteed shot at Galchenyuk and Dumba/Trouba was available for Anaheim's pick, we'd consider listening to what you'd add to the trade to make it more fair. Niederreiter alone is too much of a gamble. Moulson+1st and we'd CONSIDER it. It was an off-year for the whole team. Bobby still has 40 goal potential.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:29 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Oh boy...here we go.

You'd almost think we didn't already have a top 8 pick locked up by reading some of our fan proposals.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:31 AM
AmericanRocket91

Nino's playing right now with the Islanders...

A couple months back we almost traded Bobby to the Flyers for a 1st-JVR or 1st-Schenn Holmgren gave us a choice between the two. I'd say JVR is more established out of the three, but Schenn is right up there with Nino.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:32 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
...we'd consider listening to what you'd add to the trade to make it more fair.
He's a Ducks fan.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRocket91 View Post
A couple months back we almost traded Bobby to the Flyers for a 1st-JVR or 1st-Schenn Holmgren gave us a choice between the two. I'd say JVR is more established out of the three, but Schenn is right up there with Nino.
Source?

Old
03-28-2012, 03:33 AM
CodeE

Quote:
a former 5th overall pick who deserved to go around 10-14+a top...what 6-8 pick? For a former second overall pick? The second best player behind Sidney Crosby?
So every Islanders pick deserves to be taken 9 spots later in the draft and Bobby Ryan is the second best player behind Sidney Crosby.

I hold onto Nino and our 1st. We need a defenseman more than another winger.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
So every Islanders pick deserves to be taken 9 spots later in the draft and Bobby Ryan is the second best player behind Sidney Crosby.

I hold onto Nino and our 1st. We need a defenseman more than another winger.
You're projecting. That isn't what he said.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:40 AM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
You're projecting. That isn't what he said.
Islanders player = Should have been taken 14th instead of 5th
Ducks player = Second best player behind Sidney Crosby

That's the gist of what he said and that's the standard "underrate other team's players, overrate your own team's players" practice at hfboards.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm going to put this as lightly and nicely as I can.

**** NO!

Not a shot in hell. We get more production from Kyle Palmieri than you do out of Niederreiter. Hell, we get more production from Matt Beleskey. Change of scenery can top out at what? 30 points? That's not enough to replace 30 goals.

We might end up picking higher than NYI. That gives that pick lower value than you might think. Unless the pick was a guaranteed shot at Galchenyuk and Dumba/Trouba was available for Anaheim's pick, we'd consider listening to what you'd add to the trade to make it more fair. Niederreiter alone is too much of a gamble. Moulson+1st and we'd CONSIDER it. It was an off-year for the whole team. Bobby still has 40 goal potential.
I don't think where Ryan was picked has any bearing on this discussion. His draft position is irrelevant now. Being drafted 2nd overall doesn't make him the second best player behind Crosby. It just means that's how Burke valued him. I certainly don't think he's turned out to be the second best player behind Crosby.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:45 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Islanders player = Should have been taken 14th instead of 5th
He said that about Nino, which isn't an outlandish assessment, nor is it a grand conspiracy to undermine the reputation of the Isles. I have seen similar thoughts expressed about Nino on your team board. He didn't say Strome or anyone else were reaches or bad picks.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:46 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
A buddy of mine works for the Ducks and gets information about the trades. I knew about the Francois Beauchemin trade a week before it happened. I don't know if that's a good enough source to you, but if you think about it those are the only two we could pry away from them.

Okay...

Old
03-28-2012, 03:48 AM
CodeE

Quote:
Nino's got one goal in 49 games... I don't think I"m underrating him by offering up Bobby.

The fact that Bobby was picked 2nd overall behind Crosby is insignificant.
That's expected when you're given 4th line minutes on a line with such powerhouse playmakers like Jay Pandolfo and Marty Reasoner. I'm sure if Ducks management put Bobby on the 4th line in 2006, he wouldn't have lit up the scoreboard either.

Nino's 19 and won't be turning 20 til September. If Bobby took what, 4 years til he saw NHL icetime, can you really write Nino off this early?

Old
03-28-2012, 03:50 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
That's expected when you're given 4th line minutes on a line with such powerhouse playmakers like Jay Pandolfo and Marty Reasoner. I'm sure if Ducks management put Bobby on the 4th line in 2006, he wouldn't have lit up the scoreboard either.

Nino's 19 and won't be turning 20 til September. If Bobby took what, 4 years til he saw NHL icetime, can you really write Nino off this early?
On the contrary, Bobby Ryan started his rookie season on the 4th line. He did, in fact, light it up.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:53 AM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
He said that about Nino, which isn't an outlandish assessment, nor is it a grand conspiracy to undermine the reputation of the Isles. I have seen similar thoughts expressed about Nino on your team board. He didn't say Strome or anyone else were reaches or bad picks.
I'm hearing "oh you want Bobby Ryan? We'll CONSIDER Moulson + 1st."

But Moulson has 14 more points this season than Ryan. And they're only three years apart. Yet us lowly Islanders need to also throw in a top 5 pick in order to get the Ducks to remotely consider parting with Ryan?

Overrating Ducks. Underrating Islanders.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:55 AM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
On the contrary, Bobby Ryan started his rookie season on the 4th line. He did, in fact, light it up.
Yeah, in 2008. Three full years after he was drafted. And I'd hardly call 10 points in 23 games "lighting it up".

Old
03-28-2012, 03:56 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Not interested. Worst case scenario, we trade Bobby for futures, Teemu retires after this year, Visnovsky retires after this year, Perry and Getzlaf leave in UFA.

In a 5 year span we will have lost all of the following:

Pronger
Neidermayer
Ryan
Teemu
Visnovsky
Perry
Getzlaf

That's 3 top pairing defenders and 4 top line forwards and we will have gotten ZERO established players out of them.

If we are going to trade Bobbyw e need to wait till after this season so he can get his value back up AND to see if we can get Perry and Getz signed.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:00 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Yeah, in 2009. Four full years after he was drafted. And I'd hardly call 10 points in 23 games "lighting it up".
With George Parros as his linemate, it's as close as you'll ever get. You're the one who made the argument. Don't try to change the rules now.

Your point is taken. He hasn't been put in a position to succeed. That's a fair point, but it's also an excuse. A skilled player is going to be skilled regardless of his linemates. If he isn't ready to be an NHL player yet, it's probably best for him to get more ice time elsewhere.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:05 AM
Campoli2Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Not interested. Worst case scenario, we trade Bobby for futures, Teemu retires after this year, Visnovsky retires after this year, Perry and Getzlaf leave in UFA.

Pronger
Neidermayer
Ryan
Teemu
Visnovsky
Perry
Getzlaf

That's 3 top pairing defenders and 4 top line forwards and we will have gotten ZERO established players out of them.

If we are going to trade Bobbyw e need to wait till after this season so he can get his value back up AND to see if we can get Perry and Getz signed.
Don't forget Schultz

Campoli2Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:07 AM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
With George Parros as his linemate, it's as close as you'll ever get. You're the one who made the argument. Don't try to change the rules now.

Your point is taken. He hasn't been put in a position to succeed. That's a fair point, but it's also an excuse. A skilled player is going to be skilled regardless of his linemates. If he isn't ready to be an NHL player yet, it's probably best for him to get more ice time elsewhere.
Nino has been mismanaged this year, I don't think you'll find a single knowledgeable Islanders fan who'd disagree with that.

This doesn't mean:

1. Nino is a bust
2. Nino has reached his full potential
3. Nino is worth less than Kyle Palmieri or Matt Beleskey
4. Nino's ceiling - the absolute most he will score - is 30 points
5. The Islanders are looking to trade Nino at his current value

This isn't the NFL, it's extremely rare that a player can step right in and play. Bobby Ryan was not one of those players, so the Ducks kept him in the minors until they felt he was ready. Charles Wang is more interested in Nino's unobtainable bonuses that contribute to the cap, so he gets 4th line minutes even though Helen Keller could tell he should probably still be in Portland.

Old
AmericanRocket91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post

Pronger
Neidermayer
Ryan
Teemu
Visnovsky
Perry
Getzlaf

Murray will not let Getzlaf or Perry walk. They're are two most important players. We came close to trading away Bobby at the trade deadline and I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually dealt on draft day. Yes he gives us 30 plus goals, but his play is way to inconsistent. I think we're better off in the long run getting rid of his salary and giving one of our prospects a chance.

Old
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Yeah, in 2009. Four full years after he was drafted. And I'd hardly call 10 points in 23 games "lighting it up".
4th liner in Carlyle's system getting anything with their 3-6 minutes a night is pretty impressive. As for taking so long to bring him up, I dont understand how that is a knock on him. The Ducks have always taken a long time to develop prospects.

Look at Getzlaf and Perry. They played as well as they possibly could and still were kept down in the AHL until they got a chance with injuries and then they earned a spot.

Getzlaf: 33 points in 17 games

Perry: 34 points in 19 games

Palmieri: 61 goals in 104 games

Ducks always take prospects slow. One of the reasons Fowler and DSP are so coveted by DUcks fans. To make the team that early is very impressive.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:10 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I'm hearing "oh you want Bobby Ryan? We'll CONSIDER Moulson + 1st."

But Moulson has 14 more points this season than Ryan. And they're only three years apart. Yet us lowly Islanders need to also throw in a top 5 pick in order to get the Ducks to remotely consider parting with Ryan?

Overrating Ducks. Underrating Islanders.
Pretty much, except it has nothing to do with you being the "lowly Islanders". That is something that you're bringing to this.

You also don't have a top 5 pick. You're one spot ahead of us at 6.