what the hell is he JAGR doing in freaking SIBERIA? i can do a LETTERMAN TOP 10 LIST for this:
10. Gambling is harder to track there
9. No competition to speak of for MILES
8. Far Far away from guys like WITT
7. The Rangers staff doesnt go beyond the Atlantic to watch games
6. Tverdovsky is the great dman he never had in Washington!
5. They were willing to pay him millions of RUBELS!
4. He loves the Russians ever since 1968!
3. No one has ever heard of a "TRAP" system in Siberia!
2. His girlfriend sent him into exile
1. Lets face it, the only place JAGR can score 50 goals again in is SIBERIA!
No, 1968 was the year of a attempted coup against the Communists in Czechoslovakia. IIRC, several of Palffy's relatives were jailed during the rebellion.
Not exactly. The "Prague Spring" occurred that year (actually the thaw started in 1967). It was a peaceful attempt to create "socialism with a human face" and break away from the hardline Soviet "model." The reformers essentially took over the government because they had gained control of the Communist Party. The Soviets got extremely nervous as the "Spring" progressed and ultimately invaded to prevent what they saw as an attempt by Czechoslovakia to break away from the Soviet sphere of influence. No one was arrested during the Prague Spring, when Czechs and Slovaks wear 68 it is to remember what happened during the Soviet invasion. If I'm not mistaken, Jagr's uncle died then.