HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-1

Old
03-29-2012, 12:43 AM
harpoon
FOB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Sam Gagner needs to get his butt to the Biosteel camp with Eberle.

He needs to get much, much stronger. Too weak on the puck. I like the improvement in the face off dot, but I think he needs to focus on his strength this summer if he's going to be here next year.
I don't disagree with that . And I think no one is more aware of the deficiencies in his game than Gagner himself .
He has also proven to have the desire and the willingness to work hard to correct them .

People said he was terrible defensively - now has one of the best +/- on the team . I watch all the games and he's always one of the first guys back in the d-zone . Prone to making poor passes under pressure still .

People said he was too slow - skating has improved considerably to the point that he looks at least average out there .

People said he couldn't win a draw to save his life - I don't look at face off numbers every game but whenever I have looked over the past few months Gagner has always had the best win percentage of all our centers on the night . And Belanger and Horcoff are the guys who are supposed to be bringing the faceoff wins .

People say he's too weak - changing your body is the hardest thing to improve imo . I suspect he is already working hard to get to where he needs to be in this area as well .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I don't disagree with that . And I think no one is more aware of the deficiencies in his game than Gagner himself .
He has also proven to have the desire and the willingness to work hard to correct them .

People said he was terrible defensively - now has one of the best +/- on the team . I watch all the games and he's always one of the first guys back in the d-zone . Prone to making poor passes under pressure still .

People said he was too slow - skating has improved considerably to the point that he looks at least average out there .

People said he couldn't win a draw to save his life - I don't look at face off numbers every game but whenever I have looked over the past few months Gagner has always had the best win percentage of all our centers on the night . And Belanger and Horcoff are the guys who are supposed to be bringing the faceoff wins .

People say he's too weak - changing your body is the hardest thing to improve imo . I suspect he is already working hard to get to where he needs to be in this area as well .
I think he has worked hard in the summer, but focused too much on gaining speed at the expense of gaining strength/size.

He's never going to be a speedster but I think he needs to now work on his overall body strength. Put on 5-10 pounds of muscle, but most importantly, just get stronger.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:50 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Wanna put some cash on that or are you just shooting your mouth off again ?
Ill bet you a bazillion wieners.

Andrew said he would cover me.

You think you can handle that action?

Do you have a bazillion wieners?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:02 AM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestOilFan View Post
I'm willing to believe that Ryan Whitney isn't as bad as we saw this season, I know deep down he's a much better. Can't believe some posters want to run him out of town.

Next year, he's gonna bounce back, watch.
you should change your avatar to a big smiley sun.

Love the positive attitude

If Whitney gets a full offseason to build up strength in his ankles he should improve from this seasons play. But I doubt he ever returns to the form of the start of last season.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Hockey Nightmare

They all need to get to the gym.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:12 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I expect that from him ALL the time. It's a damn shame that Tambo was stupid enough to sign him to a one-way contract.

These are our keepers on defence:

Smid-Petry
Whitney-Schultz

And Sutton is the seventh guy. The other two spots need serious upgrades. Period.
Whitney is not a keeper until he regains his form if ever.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:14 AM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
They all need to get to the gym.
not Horcoff, he needs to get to the LTIR and stay there.

This whole team could use a few roids if you ask me make them bigger, meaner and stronger.

disclaimer: roids are bad and I was kidding.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:15 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post

If Whitney gets a full offseason to build up strength in his ankles he should improve from this seasons play. But I doubt he ever returns to the form of the start of last season.
I'd honestly be shocked if anyone we get in the foreseeable future can. The level he was playing at is the best we've had in a couple decades excluding Pronger imo. He's gone on record saying that it's been a dissapointing year and that he feels he can improve over the off-season. I sure hope he's right, cause that would make our defense drastically better. Can you imagine if we had Smid and Petry playing at this level when he was healthy last year?

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:30 AM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post

you should consider therapy

Connell McWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'd honestly be shocked if anyone we get in the foreseeable future can. The level he was playing at is the best we've had in a couple decades excluding Pronger imo. He's gone on record saying that it's been a dissapointing year and that he feels he can improve over the off-season. I sure hope he's right, cause that would make our defense drastically better. Can you imagine if we had Smid and Petry playing at this level when he was healthy last year?
Petry has stepped up, albeit a bad game tonight, he looks like our defenseman for the future.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Whitney is not a keeper until he regains his form if ever.
Well, he is for now simply because of his salary and the fact that nobody else will take him.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:11 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Whitney will never regain his form. Just have to live with it.

awesomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:11 AM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
you should consider therapy
it was an honest complement

sorry if it came off as not being so.

Watching the Oilers win next year and beyond will be my therapy

Old
03-29-2012, 04:50 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
The Petry-Potter pairing was a pairing made in hell.
Reminds me of when that hot-shot lawyer flashed the picture of chewbacka in south park... It makes no sense.

Hartikainen didn't get enough minutes and Smyth got too many, as usual.

If the Leafs fans can get away with chanting about who sucks, why can't the Oil fans do the same? "Renney sucks"

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:06 AM
McspOiler

The reason our pp has gone down is not hopkins fault. Its a combo of the fact that we lost halls skill down low and now eberle has to take that spot and sam the give away gagner is where ebs was. Also the teams are cheating with nuge they know we have no relevent shot from the point so they are leaving the middle alot more to attack nuge on the half wall.

McspOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Petry has stepped up, albeit a bad game tonight, he looks like our defenseman for the future.
Petry has gone from being underrated to overrated in a very short period of time. He still makes Gilbert like gaffs and was lousy last night. He is for sure a part of the team going forward and will be a good player a lot of people have just jumped on top two d man bandwagon. (I'm not addressing this post specifically at you Greatestoilfan, just fans in general.)

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:15 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Petry has gone from being underrated to overrated in a very short period of time. He still makes Gilbert like gaffs and was lousy last night. He is for sure a part of the team going forward and will be a good player a lot of people have just jumped on top two d man bandwagon. (I'm not addressing this post specifically at you Greatestoilfan, just fans in general.)
I agree with this to a degree... about 2-3 weeks before Gilbert was traded, the hype machine was in full swing and I wasn't seeing it.

What I see is a promising young D, who could become a solid #3 with some offensive skill. But there is still some work to go.

My number 1 is a solid, do-it-all defenseman... who's either a 40point guy with solid, physical D play (Jovo in his prime or better), or a 50+ point guy who isn't lost in his zone (Lubo in his prime). My number 2 is a minute-munching stay-at-home ala Smith or Philips or hopefully Smid.

I see Petry topping out at a notch below both... which is fine by me.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:47 AM
ekcut
Golden Ticket Winner

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Quote:
I think we see what we want to see in Petry.
A lot of fans are penning him in to our top pairing for the next 10 years...I think it is more reasonable to pencil him into the 2nd pair, and then hope he exceeds....or else he'll suffer from Gagneritis...an unfortunate condition where 2nd line play is deemed unaccaptable and a disapointment.

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Oilers were pretty critical of their performance last night in the paper today. They basically said that they didn't match the Stars' intensity level but hell, I didn't see any damn intensity from the Stars and the Oilers outhit them by a good margin.

I didn't think that they played as bad as they're saying but I'm glad to see that that they expect more out of themselves.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:11 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
The Oilers were pretty critical of their performance last night in the paper today. They basically said that they didn't match the Stars' intensity level but hell, I didn't see any damn intensity from the Stars and the Oilers outhit them by a good margin.

I didn't think that they played as bad as they're saying but I'm glad to see that that they expect more out of themselves.
I agree. Being at the game last night, I was shocked when they were talking about lack of effort after the game on the radio. I think there was some pretty stupid plays and a lot of pucks jumping over players sticks in the slot, but effort was not the issue. For the most part, I thought they outplayed them, just couldn't come through in the clutch.

Anybody catch the hit Harti did on Goligoski? There was some questionable penalties called, but I have no idea why that was a non-call. He ran from the blue line to the bottom of the circle and coasted into Goligoski at full speed killing him from behind into the boards. It was clear after the hit that Goligoski was hurt but made it to the bench and did finish the game.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Koto

Quote:
The Oilers only have 4 goals on their past 26 powerplay opportunities. Let's just say that the powerplay's prowess has waned a little. Nugent-Hopkins makes some sick reads and passes but I really think that it's Hall that makes the PP hum.
Hall is valuable, but i don't see the lack of him causing the massive drop off in production.

The coaches ****ed up the design.

RNH played the whole season with RHD (potter) Hemsky played the whole season with LHD (whitney).

They decided to change that, hence things fail.

They also moved hemsky to the right half boards to set up one-timers to the RHD he is now with, but on that side he has no options but to pass to the D, he doesn't have a shooting angle, and no low easy dump pass option.

RNH stayed on his correct wall, but now lacks a one-timer from the point. Also, theyre basically running it from Gagner/Eberle on the other side, RNH is playing "floater" now, which should not be his role.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

Quote:
I've always thought Petry was gonna be something special. I don't think he's overrated at all, underrated for that matter

But to be fair, he is young and still needs to polish some of his game. IMO Petry makes less Gilbert-esque gaffes and plays with a more physical edge than Gilbert, thus why I think he has the tools to be a top 2 defenseman.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:09 PM
ghostnights
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 2338
sutton was so bad, every time he was on the ice i cringed.

ghostnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
awesomo
HARD!

of course he ll make bad mistakes, its part of learning the game. just because a player makes gilbert gaffs doesnt mean hes all of a sudden overrated. hes definitely not underrated anymore.

its how he bounces back that will make the difference. he admitted he was a half a step behind last night and was pretty critical of himself.

awesomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Brokenhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
of course he ll make bad mistakes, its part of learning the game. just because a player makes gilbert gaffs doesnt mean hes all of a sudden overrated. hes definitely not underrated anymore.

its how he bounces back that will make the difference. he admitted he was a half a step behind last night and was pretty critical of himself.
Exactly, I'm guessing he is going to be a nasty piece of business to play against tomorrow against LA.
Also, he is better at everything than Gilbert imo and as far as skating it isn't even close.

Brokenhead is offline   Reply With Quote