HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

If I won MegaMillions....

Old
03-30-2012, 03:59 PM
jjricco8

vCash: 500
If I won MegaMillions....

I would buy the Islanders. After all, isn't the bet part of winning blowing your money on bad investments?

What kind of price would Chuck give me?

First order of business: Fire the annoying bobble head girl who runs the contests at the games. Then I would put up polls on this board and have a vote on everything.

I'm just saying.......

jjricco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:14 PM
OlTimeHockey

I would buy the team and hire a President I trusted would be the best and just write checks - after I fire the entire staff (but tell them they were in the running for every job).

The Coliseum would be renovated and the game nights would be 7:30 again so THE HARDCORE FANS were the focus, not kids and bobbleheads. We need the product to be the be-all-end-all reason to come to games, not the last decade of witless promotions.

I want Pickett's playbook from the 1970's.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Renbarg

...I'd buy you a house

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:40 PM
TeamKidd

...and you would be hated and bashed for every move you made by the loyal viewers here on HF....

sadly, even this amount of money would enable you to buy the isles and build an arena worth a damn....tho, the thought did cross my mind...

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:41 PM
On Edge

I'd get a bigger organ that has not been banged on for 40 years.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:57 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

I'd buy the Maple Leafs and relocate them to Hamilton. The ****storm on here would be priceless

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:04 PM
JKP

I'd buy HFBoards and ban all you guys that I disagree with!

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:12 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

If only it were that easy...

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Riddick

i thought about this too(with me friend), the thing is if you won and were sole winner you COULD in theory buy the team but you really wouldnt have the money to make it last more than a few seasons afterwards.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
Hey if Spano could do it, why can't we!!!

Volek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Pnut

If I Had a $1000000 by Barenaked Ladies.

You crazy people think your going to win.......what kind of people are you?!?!?

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:45 PM
CodeE

You wouldn't have to have 100% control to own the team. Pitch in the biggest chunk, and then find investors for the rest of the money. The MegaMillions winner announcing his intentions to buy the Islanders would definitely draw some interest.

I'd probably look into how much it would cost to really renovate the Coliseum. Add more seats, upgrade the facility, but not have to start from scratch on a brand new arena. Didn't Nassau keep suggesting that Wang just renovate, but Wang wanted his real estate crap to go through? I got no real estate plans, just an upgraded arena. Maybe play at Barclays for a season while the construction gets done.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Bert Marshall days

It's my birthday today so I will win MegaM

I'll buy NYI and move them to Queens in a new arena.

Garth and Howie and maybe Butch are outta here.

Fred Flintstone is gone

Okposo is gone

Nassau gets it stuck to

I will get them on radio

Wang will be a memory

FA's will line up to play here

The Cup gets a parade up Broadway or down Queens Blvd - haven't decided yet

I buy HF and everyone who disagrees is banned as I'm the only mod and promote NYI only remembering the greatest team to ever play the game even though they never got the recognition they deserved.

Oh to dream..............

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Sideshow Bob

I would bring in guys like Jon Sim and Brian Rolston.

Oh wait...

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:25 PM
boredmale

I hate to break it to you but if you win megamillions, by time you take the one sum payout(instead of getting it over a certain amount of time) and get it taxed, you're left with a measly 100M which isn't enough to buy an NHL franchise

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Bauer Warrior*

The chances of the BOG allowing a lottery winner to buy an NHL team... yeah, not good.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:44 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I hate to break it to you but if you win megamillions, by time you take the one sum payout(instead of getting it over a certain amount of time) and get it taxed, you're left with a measly 100M which isn't enough to buy an NHL franchise
The lump sum is projected at about $320M, chop off about a hundred for taxes, and you're left with at least $200M. The Isles are valued at around $180M. Obviously, you're screwed afterwards but you could technically make the purchase.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:48 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
The lump sum is projected at about $320M, chop off about a hundred for taxes, and you're left with at least $200M. The Isles are valued at around $180M. Obviously, you're screwed afterwards but you could technically make the purchase.
That's a little better. I wasn't sure how much the lump sum was(I assumed less). All that being said as BW pointed out, good luck getting the BOG approving it.

Old
03-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Party pooper

Who let you in?

Old
03-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I thought I saw the lump sum being 389 million, before it went up again. Taxes kill any dream scenario when thinking about what to get

Anyway, If I won, which I legally couldn't but just for fun, Islanders would not be on my list

Actually, being even more honest I would be interested in getting a group of investors together.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:00 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I thought I saw the lump sum being 389 million, before it went up again. Taxes kill any dream scenario when thinking about what to get
Just saw something on the News that if you win, you actually clear ~300M after you take the lump sum(about 460M) and get taxed.

Old
03-30-2012, 08:04 PM
cjdv16

I would buy the Islanders for double the ask on the condition that Chuckles dress up with his fat son as Ice Girls and sweep the ice for the entire season.

Second order of business would be to put Garth Snow in the Sparky the Dragon costume and let him plummit to center ice from the rafters as part of a pre-game intro.

Third order of business would be to hire Chris Botta to replace Snow.

Fourth order of business would be to bring in Zach Parise with a blank check to ride shotgun for JT.

Fifth and final order of business would be to hire Don Maloney and Mike Milbury back to clean the **** off the walls in the NVMC bathrooms.

Then I'd begin day 2 of my tenure as new Islanders owner with a smile on my face.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
I would buy the Islanders for double the ask on the condition that Chuckles dress up with his fat son as Ice Girls and sweep the ice for the entire season.

Second order of business would be to put Garth Snow in the Sparky the Dragon costume and let him plummit to center ice from the rafters as part of a pre-game intro.

Third order of business would be to hire Chris Botta to replace Snow.

Fourth order of business would be to bring in Zach Parise with a blank check to ride shotgun for JT.

Fifth and final order of business would be to hire Don Maloney and Mike Milbury back to clean the **** off the walls in the NVMC bathrooms.

Then I'd begin day 2 of my tenure as new Islanders owner with a smile on my face.
Now that's funny

Old
03-30-2012, 08:22 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Just saw something on the News that if you win, you actually clear ~300M after you take the lump sum(about 460M) and get taxed.
Was just about to post this. Once it was at $500M I read that the lump sum would be just under $360M. Now the jackpot is around $700M, so I would assume the lump sum is close to 1/2 of a BILLION dollars. After tax you should end up with over $300M.

That said, just how much would it take to buy this franchise? You'd have to imagine Wang would be open to selling if the right deal came around, considering how much he's losing every year.

Now whether or not buying them would be smart move is a completely different topic. IF you could afford it, it would probably be the riskiest move a human being could ever take. There would be a good possibility of you going from a $300+millionaire to completely broke. That would be pretty damn heartbreaking and most likely suicide worthy(sorry if I offended anyone with this, but it's true).

I'll tell you this though, IF somebody did it I would give them uber props. That's a true fan my friend.

Last edited by blinkman360: 03-30-2012 at 08:29 PM.
blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:25 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
That said, just how much would it take to buy this franchise? You'd have to imagine Wang would be open to selling if the right deal came around, considering how much he's losing every year.
From my understanding the Franchise is worth 180M dollars. All that being said I heard that the team is actually divided into the team and the cable deal(one thing when Wang cries how much money he is losing they don't mention how the cable deal is a separate entity)