HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/29/12 - 7PM ET -1998 Eastern Conference Champions vs 2011 Stanley Cup Champions

Old
03-30-2012, 01:11 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Could someone please tell Ovy that the shootout move where he lazily skates to the left boards, then lazily skates back to the middle, and then lazily tries lift a forehand glove side . . . that move SUCKS and never, ever works.

9 year old goalies know that as soon as he commits to the left boards, the only possible shot he can take as he comes back to the middle is a forehand. And shooting it glove side means he's shooting it in the direction the goalie is moving as he tracks Ovy's lateral move back from the left boards, so he can't make it any easier for the net-minder.
Not true.

Time before last, he made same move and did score, and did it with a backhand. I think it was against Isles and Nabokov.

And last night he opened up plenty of net, he just didnt finish. I would argue he opened up more net than Semin did on his successful attempt right afterward, it's just that Semin made the shot.

That said, i agree with your conclusion. I too would like him see him come straight-on with speed and either a modified Hendy, or the old kick fake from his first couple years. When in doubt, i want the shooter to come with speed. And - my other pet peeve - put the shot on net. Make the keeper stop you. (Coiner, Orlov ... you guys listening?)

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:38 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I took my first complete look at the standings today. What stood out, a lack of goals from the top teams.

It seems like the league is becoming more defensive minded. The powers can try and make ballerina's out of mules but in the end it fails. Expect 5 goals a game 3-2 over and over.

Shootout aces dialed in gives coaches yet another reason to be conservative. Its too easy to rack up points playing boring hockey.

About shootout moves, move the puck left and right before shooting. Dress it up doing the head fakes ass shakes and wake and bakes. Ovi used to skate straight in at full speed and didnt even have time to stick handle deke etc. Now he goes wide, he needs a new move.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:11 PM
romao

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Could someone please tell Ovy that the shootout move where he lazily skates to the left boards, then lazily skates back to the middle, and then lazily tries lift a forehand glove side . . . that move SUCKS and never, ever works.

9 year old goalies know that as soon as he commits to the left boards, the only possible shot he can take as he comes back to the middle is a forehand. And shooting it glove side means he's shooting it in the direction the goalie is moving as he tracks Ovy's lateral move back from the left boards, so he can't make it any easier for the net-minder.

It's beyond me why he tries that move. In his 1st and 2nd years, he used to come straight down the middle with speed (a pretty intimidating sight) and go backhand, or do the Hendy leg kick and freeze the goalie -- and both those moves were money.

There's a decent chance we have another shootout this year and that the point at stake could mean making the playoffs or not. It would be good if Ovie attempted a move that at least had a chance of being successful.

Rant complete. Other than that, Ovy seemed to have a pretty strong game.

Semin's SO goall was stone cold killer stuff, in the face of a ton of pressure.
You mean this lazy move never works?

romao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:12 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, I don't get the complaints about that move. It's been his most effective since the leg-lift one his rookie year.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:16 PM
romao

And here's another one. To me it seems that move is OK.

romao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:29 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by romao View Post
You mean this lazy move never works?
Yep, that one. Got me.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:18 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Is this defensive posture the Caps are playing the same style as what Hunter promotes in London?

Reminds me so much of the Canadiens a couple of years ago but there are a few differences. Montreal was playing the same system under Carbonneau and then transitioned to more of a trap with Martin.

They had very good shot blockers. They also lost players to injury because of it but those injuries seemed to lessen with the use of skate guards. Don't know if all of the Caps wear them or not.

Obviously Halak and his heroics were a big part of the success. But I do remember hearing the same type of comment from different commentators that year as heard last night from Edwards and Brickley.

Would the defensive "turtling" lessen with Backstrom back? The Canadiens didn't have the offensive weapons that the Caps have. Essentially it was Cammalleri.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote