HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Botta

Old
03-28-2012, 10:41 AM
beLIever

vCash: 500
Chris Botta

Just checked my twitter account this AM, and Chris Botta's been snarking again at the team, and retweeted a snarky comment from Peter Botte as well.

I understand that there's lots to be negative about with regard to the Isles, but c'mon, enough ******** out of the NYT columnist.

On edit: It's the snark that's bothersome, not the fact that there are negatives. I guess that's the way Botta's always been though. You take the good with the bad.

Last edited by beLIever: 03-28-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: to clarify
beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanof31 View Post
Just checked my twitter account this AM, and Chris Botta's been snarking again at the team, and retweeted a snarky comment from Peter Botte as well.

I understand that there's lots to be negative about with regard to the Isles, but c'mon, enough ******** out of the NYT columnist.
Don't pick and choose. He says a lot of good things about the Islanders as well. And face it, one way or another he's trying to bring attention to the Isles for the betterment of the fans.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:

I just went and read what he posted and this thread is pointless. He didnt say anything bad, didnt attack anyone and certainly didnt say anything that wasnt true.

Botta lost access to the team for being too harsh in what he said, and I always thought he was way to nice in what he said.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:51 AM
MTK

Quote:

Botta is a joke. He is acting like a little kid and he is doing it to get hits and followers.

I stopped reading IPB a long time before he left.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
TheBoss22

Botta's on Twitter? (yawn)

Did the Isles sign Hainsey?
Did they draft Filatov?
Did the Isles not make an attempt to sign Paul Martin?
Was the referendum a slam dunk in the Isles favor?
Did Garth get the top 4 d-man?
Did the Isles do the right think and not toll Nabby's contract?

I guess I should start following him for *****'s and giggles.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
jmg27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofit View Post

So dont follow him then if you are going to complain about his tweets, lol. If you want the "always sunny in islanders country" tweets or articles go to the blogbox or Isles official twitter.

I find him informative. Not as much lately as when he had IPB and his credentials but I'm sure people follow him whether you like him or dislike him and prob feel the same way.

jmg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:08 PM
beLIever

I'd just like him to take the snark out of it. Be positive, be negative, be whatever, it's just the snarkiness that's bothersome. The thing about the players stepping up to pad their stats, which was a retweet from someone else, really annoyed me...as did the comments last week about Nabokov being now ready to be traded for a third rounder when they're out of it next spring.

Whatever...I don't hate Botta, but the snark can set me off.

Last edited by beLIever: 03-28-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 12:09 PM
beLIever

eh nevermind

Old
03-28-2012, 01:32 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Botta is a joke. He is acting like a little kid and he is doing it to get hits and followers.

I stopped reading IPB a long time before he left.
Maybe you should go back, I enjoyed the reading snce kevin Schultz took over. CB posts interviews every so often but it has gone away from what it used to be.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:24 PM
cjdv16

Quote:

On edit: It's the snark that's bothersome, not the fact that there are negatives. I guess that's the way Botta's always been though. You take the good with the bad.

I WAS the biggest botta supporter. Look back at my posting history.

Boy, was I wrong. Now, I think he's a scum bag.

Maybe a bunch of you read through his crap well before me. If so, shame on me.

Either way, he was not snarky originally. He's now an angry, jaded, bag of hot air sitting on the outside.

I got so sick of his tweets that:

1. I almost created a twitter account simply to tell him what a dueche and embarassment he's become

2. I now don't even read them.

He's Mr. Irrelevant now. In hockey. In New York Hockey.

Unfortunately, I still think what Garth did to him was dirty, but Botta's behavior demonstrated that Snow may have been onto something.

Either way, Botta's disgusting style of comment now shows what an amateur he is. As an Isles fan, I take offense to his style and snark. Same as you obviously do.

Best medicine for the now, Mr. Irrelevant? Ignore him, unfollow him, and don't read his NYR ass kissing in the Times once every 3 months.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:31 PM
cjdv16

The snark (only dating back to March 16th... so snarky posts for just the last 2 weeks):

Brian Rolston: 6-game point streak with Bruins (3-8-11). Must be the building.

Doug Weight rants at refs like Keenan, circa '87. John Tavares draws up plays during timeouts. Who coach da #Isles ?

After failing when it counted, Habs, Leafs, Oilers and Jackets proved the value of pressure-free wins last night. There is none. (Playing Monday morning Quarterback on Snow's off season comments about the Isles taking a 'step'. Pure snark.)

Mets, Jets, Habs, Leafs covered critically and daily by dozens. Isles not by 1. Apples and oranges, friends.

I still think #Isles getting Nabby at fair price so they can trade him for a 3rd next February is the biggest sports story today.

WHL helped Swiss Sven Baertchi: from WHL to 3 goals in 4 GP with Flames. #Isles say Swiss Nino too good. 1 goal all NHL season.

Wang craves media blackouts. So when Brooklyn Arena king Ratner does a staged interview on #Isles bcast, it means diddly.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Knish Of The Crease

He's right, wether he's snarky or not. I feel the same way and talk about the team the same way. If the organization wasn't such a circus side show, these things wouldn't be said. Those jabs since March 16 are sad because it's the absolute truth.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Hip Of Rick

Who cares if he is negative, this organization sucks and has not won a playoff round in almost 20 years. They deserve every piece of negative news they get. If they win it will shut people up. Botta is the only guy who covers the team that will ever right a negative word. I personally do not like him but that goes back to his IPB days.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:30 PM
cjdv16

The reality is that in all of Botta's posts, he doesn't have the balls to substitute the word "Snow" for "Isles".

Without question, Snow is the target of his ire. He just doesn't have the guts to say so. Instead he says "the Isles".

That's a coward.

I'd have a ton of more respect for him if he just said what he meant.

Clearly, he's still bitter and this is his way of throwing jabs at Garth since he can't impact him in any other way. Sad. Pathetic actually.

I guess I'm so pissed because I acutally really liked Botta and his work on IPB. To see this crap just irritates me.

Old
03-28-2012, 07:43 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
He spends more time on the Islanders in one week than anyone else does in three months.

I see no reason to get on him for these really tiny digs. If anything I feel he gives Wang way more leeway and credit than he deserves. If anything, fry him for that.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Beastrt

I dont get the hate for Botta. He posts a negative twitter comment from someone else and you guys complain. No one seems to mention the 50 minute podcast he put up about the islanders. He is the only reason there is any islander blog coverage at all online. Agree with his opinions or not at least he cares about the islanders.

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:58 PM
JKP

Totally agree with A Pointed Stick and Beastrt. At least someone out there with a platform is talking about the team. I like the guy and the effort he puts in.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
He spends more time on the Islanders in one week than anyone else does in three months.

I see no reason to get on him for these really tiny digs. If anything I feel he gives Wang way more leeway and credit than he deserves. If anything, fry him for that.
I'm with you. If anything, I think the guy is way too positive. I'm surprised how much he still backs up Wang even after his press credentials were taken away.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Aucoin3

People here complain about Botta but everytime the Isles sign a minor league player for Bridgeport I have to read the worst joke ever saying.

[INSERT NAME HERE] come get the Stanley Cup!

If there was no Chris Botta you would actually have to go to the game to know anything about the team.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:52 AM
jmg27

It just amazes me that any negative comments about this team gets people upset. Team has been in the bottom 5 for 5 damn years and everyone gets all sensitive about some snarky comments. I think he’s fair and to be honest his comments reflect my views and prob most Isles fans. It’s not like he is Greenberg not including Tavares in the top 25 under 25. He gives it pretty much both ways, negative and positive. He puts more time into this team and his podcasts than anyone else around. He gets well respected people in the business and media to give their opinions on the team and their views. I do not see anyone else doing anything close or spending remotely as much time on the Isles and getting different point of views then he does. And people complain over his comments. I enjoy it.

The fact is that he is the ONLY person who even remotely so called "criticizes" the team and the team is awful. It’s not debatable. I see it as a breath of fresh air to see some negative press b/c it makes me sick the lack of media coverage and more so the lack of NEGATIVE media coverage for this circus of a team which is why they are able to fly so much under the radar. Not many teams or management would be getting away with the way this team has performed and has been managed anywhere else.

Basically I just wish there was more pressure from media and like his to push and make this team succeed. Thats all.

Last edited by jmg27: 03-29-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old
03-29-2012, 10:04 AM
beLIever

If you would actually read the complaints some of us have, it's not about stating negative things about the team but the attitude of having to get a personal dig in along with it (which is IMHO unprofessional). That's my objection.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
The snark (only dating back to March 16th... so snarky posts for just the last 2 weeks):

Brian Rolston: 6-game point streak with Bruins (3-8-11). Must be the building.

Doug Weight rants at refs like Keenan, circa '87. John Tavares draws up plays during timeouts. Who coach da #Isles ?

After failing when it counted, Habs, Leafs, Oilers and Jackets proved the value of pressure-free wins last night. There is none. (Playing Monday morning Quarterback on Snow's off season comments about the Isles taking a 'step'. Pure snark.)

Mets, Jets, Habs, Leafs covered critically and daily by dozens. Isles not by 1. Apples and oranges, friends.

I still think #Isles getting Nabby at fair price so they can trade him for a 3rd next February is the biggest sports story today.

WHL helped Swiss Sven Baertchi: from WHL to 3 goals in 4 GP with Flames. #Isles say Swiss Nino too good. 1 goal all NHL season.

Wang craves media blackouts. So when Brooklyn Arena king Ratner does a staged interview on #Isles bcast, it means diddly.
although some of these might be snarky indeed, please point out which one is not entirely correct? why must some still defend this pitiful franchise? i will be a fan to do the death but to say this team deserves any coddling or TLC is a fool...they deserve every ounce of snark and negative talk they get.....as botta points out in one of these comments, they dont get nearly enough of it

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:54 AM
beLIever

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
although some of these might be snarky indeed, please point out which one is not entirely correct?
Most of them cannot even be evaluated as correct/incorrect:

1. Rolston has a six game point streak. And? So what? He played like crap for the Islanders, which all of us noted. A lack of heart is on him as a player - he was paid the same here as Boston paid him.

2. Is there anything to be evaluated as correct or incorrect about 2? Weight's coaching choice is to rant. Not Capuano's style. Tavares drew up one play as far as we know. Capuano, last I checked, is still the Islanders coach. Cute to say "who coach da Isles" but there's no point there.

3. Is there no value in pressure-free wins? Then why are we all arguing here about whether to tank or finish strong for pride? Again, it's not a correct/incorrect statement Botta's making. It's an opinion.

4. I remember the glory years. So does Botta. Even then the Isles weren't covered daily and critically by anyone other than Newsday. And Staple might want to argue that he doesn't cover the Isles critically. And since Botta was VP of Communications for a decade, maybe he was part of the problem of the Isles not getting coverage?

5. Is pure snark, cannot be evaluated as correct/incorrect and a guess. No one knows what will happen to Nabby next February. He's not getting traded for a 3rd if they're in a playoff push.

6. I'll give him this one, but it's snark.

7. Again, opinion as to what means diddly. Not a statement that can be evaluated as correct/incorrect.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:57 AM
okie21

If you don't like what Botta says on twitter, don't follow him. If you don't like the pieces he writes for the NYT, don't read them. Botta, whether he's still angry at the orginization or not, uses snark or not, is still one of the ONLY people in the media who gives a darn about the franchise. IPB just had an almost hour long wrap up of the isles and only the isles for his SNY podcast. Next time some one else goes out of there way to defend the Isles to the canadien media or devotes an hour of thier life to disect another garbage season and try to add some reason to it, let me know.

The guy have eat sleeped breathed Islanders for a long long time. He's done every thing to put this team in the best light possibile and he writes one piece to call attention to the fact you can't just blame every thing on Scott Gordon and he gets the boot. I'd propbably be still peeved myself. For an orginazition that has been a joke for going on 2 decades, Botta really hasn't been that harsh.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:07 AM
jmg27

Quote:
If you would actually read the complaints some of us have, it's not about stating negative things about the team but the attitude of having to get a personal dig in along with it (which is IMHO unprofessional). That's my objection.
Listen I understand and I can see your point. I just dont mind it as much I guess as you do. Nothing wrong with either side. I guess some things bother people more then others. It is their choice to follow or not.

But in regards to having a discussion though... and about being unprofessional. It is only his personal twitter account and his tweets you speak of. He is not a Isles beat writer, the Isles do not give him a platform, he is not being unprofessional in his NYT articles against the Isles. Now that would be unprofessional. Not comments on his twitter. He covers team more then anyone regardless of having had his credentials removed for criticizing the team, I'm sure and I can agree w/ you guys that have pointed out he has some resentment from that ( and who wouldnt) and takes jabs here and there. My point is attitude or not, "most" of the time he is kinda spot on. But guess thats just personal taste.

Like I said earlier in threat I'm just glad their is an alternate to the "always sunny in Islander country" media that Wang/Snow has created. I miss Jaffe and the credentialed Botta talking fairly about the Isles. You dont get that anymore. You now get Goring,Staple, and the blogbox which is hardly the same.

Last edited by jmg27: 03-29-2012 at 11:13 AM.