HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Staal, Zherdev or Horton?

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2004, 01:39 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Staal, Zherdev or Horton?

Who would you rather have in the long run?
I also would like to know your thoughts on Staal. What is his ceiling and was he the best foward available in the draft.

Old
11-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Staal then Zherdev then Horton

Old
11-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17ster
I also would like to know your thoughts on Staal. What is his ceiling and was he the best foward available in the draft.

I think Zherdev has more scoring potential than Mr.Staal, but Staal was probably top 5 in every category in the 2003 draft(i.e. skating, vision, stickhandling, shot) and I personally think he has a much better chance of reaching his full potential than Zherdev. I'd put Zherdev ahead of Horton because of the injury troubles Horton has had. All three are sublime prospects though.

Old
11-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Vatican Roulette
Detroit Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17ster

toss up between Zherdev and Horton. I've never been too high on Staal, just my opinion.

Old
11-22-2004, 02:45 PM
CRAZY_FAN

Staal for me, reminds me of a young Modano...!

Old
11-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Bruins4Ever

Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
Zherdev. He seems to have that Jagr look about him, or Gaborik. The franchise winger, I really like his potential.

Old
11-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Staal without much second thought. Zherdev and Horton are a toss-up to me. Lots of upside for all three, just more risk for the other two compared to Staal IMO.

Old
11-22-2004, 04:22 PM
PigPen

Staal. He's just so good at everything.

Zherdev could become a Kovalev type winger who scores close to or above a point per game.

Horton reminds me of a poor man's Jeff O'neil. Never been too high on any part of his game.

Old
11-22-2004, 04:34 PM
PanthersRule96

1)a Zherdev/Horton
1)b Staal

They're all so close. I prefer Zherdev and Horton to Staal though. I have never been overly high on Staal.

Old
11-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
Staal. He's just so good at everything.

Zherdev could become a Kovalev type winger who scores close to or above a point per game.

Horton reminds me of a poor man's Jeff O'neil. Never been too high on any part of his game.
i think zherdev will end up being better than kovalev, so i would go with him.

Old
11-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Chris

I'll break the trend.

Horton, Zherdev, Staal.

Old
11-22-2004, 05:51 PM
hfboardsuser

While Horton is the kind of guy you can build a team around, Zherdev is a much better choice amusement-wise. His performance at the 2003-04 YoungStars game was like a Cherry compilation every shift. Obviously, he needs to settle it down a bit, but he's guaranteed to excite the fans no matter the score. There's always going to be a nagging hope in the minds of Jackets fans when they watch him that he'll do something absolutely mind-blowing with the puck, and that goes a long way towards filling the seats.

Old
11-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 353
I'd rank them: Zherdev, Staal, Horton. I think Horton will be a very solid core-type player, but the other 2 have star potential. I feel the same way about Bouwmeester and Pitkanen with the latter having star potential.

Old
11-22-2004, 06:06 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I'd rank them: Zherdev, Staal, Horton. I think Horton will be a very solid core-type player, but the other 2 have star potential. I feel the same way about Bouwmeester and Pitkanen with the latter having star potential.
you think pitkanen has star potential, but that bouwmeester will only be a solid core-type player? maybe i'm understanding you wrong, but i feel it's the opposite.

Old
11-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Lionel Hutz

I'd take Stall first, he's so well-rounded. He's going to be an all around star. Zherdev will no doubt be an elite sniper, but it seems he will be a bit one-dimensional.

Old
11-22-2004, 06:08 PM
CanoeRider

zherdev, horton, staal

like everyone else, i dont see staal as a big upgrade between these guyz. maybe he doesn't recieve enough fanfare, but he looks and seems like a quiet guy

Old
11-22-2004, 06:09 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
you think pitkanen has star potential, but that bouwmeester will only be a solid core-type player? maybe i'm understanding you wrong, but i feel it's the opposite.
Pitkanen is much better offensively than Bouwmeester. The key for Pitkanen is staying healthy.

Old
11-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
You're not misunderstanding. We just don't agree. Only time, and the end of this stupid lockout will tell.

Old
11-22-2004, 06:15 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Pitkanen is much better offensively than Bouwmeester. The key for Pitkanen is staying healthy.
I dunno. He was in his rookie year, bt then again, he was on Philly and got offensive chances as opposed to Bouwmeester who had little room to go be offensive with the horrible play the panthers had at the end of the year.

I think Bouwmeester longterm has better offensive potential. I see Pitkanen as a lesser version of Lidstrom. I see Bouwmeester as an about equal version to Paul Coffey, Bouwmeester turning out better in the longrun. IN the World Cup, he was fantastic. He skates the puck up better than Pitkanen by far, but Pitkanen has better puck skills in the offensive zone IMO. It will be close but I think Overall, JBO will be much better than Joni.

Old
11-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
You're not misunderstanding. We just don't agree. Only time, and the end of this stupid lockout will tell.
Put me in the camp that thinks Bouwmeester will be a star. But you are right, his offence is not Pitkanen's.

Old
11-22-2004, 06:41 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule
I dunno. He was in his rookie year, bt then again, he was on Philly and got offensive chances as opposed to Bouwmeester who had little room to go be offensive with the horrible play the panthers had at the end of the year.

I think Bouwmeester longterm has better offensive potential. I see Pitkanen as a lesser version of Lidstrom. I see Bouwmeester as an about equal version to Paul Coffey, Bouwmeester turning out better in the longrun. IN the World Cup, he was fantastic. He skates the puck up better than Pitkanen by far, but Pitkanen has better puck skills in the offensive zone IMO. It will be close but I think Overall, JBO will be much better than Joni.
JBo won't be in Paul Coffey's universe as an offensive player.

JBo is a better skater than Pitkanen, but closer than most would think. Pitkanen has a better shot and most importantly better vision and a better playmaker.

As to better talent surrounding him, yes Pitkanen has better talent, but the previous two seasons the Flyers PP ranked 28th and 21st. With no other additions other than Pitkanen, the Flyers PP ranked #1 all season, before slipping to #2 in the final week.

Also because Bouwmeester played on a weaker team, and doesn't have Ken Hitchcock as his coach he played 23 minutes a night, while Pitkanen played 16.5 minutes a night in Philly.

Old
11-22-2004, 06:43 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz
Put me in the camp that thinks Bouwmeester will be a star. But you are right, his offence is not Pitkanen's.
I wasn't saying that Boumeester won't be a star, I think you'll see the two of them compete for Norris trophies in 5 years or so.

Old
11-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
I wasn't saying that Boumeester won't be a star, I think you'll see the two of them compete for Norris trophies in 5 years or so.
Sorry, that comment was for Buffaloed.

Old
11-22-2004, 07:03 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg
While Horton is the kind of guy you can build a team around, Zherdev is a much better choice amusement-wise. His performance at the 2003-04 YoungStars game was like a Cherry compilation every shift. Obviously, he needs to settle it down a bit, but he's guaranteed to excite the fans no matter the score. There's always going to be a nagging hope in the minds of Jackets fans when they watch him that he'll do something absolutely mind-blowing with the puck, and that goes a long way towards filling the seats.
Excellent observation.

I've always said that right now Rick Nash brings new fans to Nationwide - Zherdev keeps them coming back.

Zherdev, Horton, Staal for me.

Old
11-22-2004, 07:15 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

This is a tough one for me since I'm a Jacket fan, but I have to say Staal. He's the most complete of the bunch. There is a reason why he was the first forward picked and he's done nothing to really change that in my opinion.

That said, I'm ecstatic with Zherdev. The guy is a show-stopper and the Jackets need scoring in the worst way (hopefully the franchise center will come along soon...)

None of this is meant as a knock on Horton either, who I still really like. With three guys this good, you look for excuses to downgrade one. For Horton, it's the injury bug. He's going to be a great one though.

Closed Thread