HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Future of Plekanec...

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
The Future of Plekanec...

Plekanec is probably the best Bulldogs player right now and he's the team leader in term of scoring. In Montreal, we have Koivu, Ribeiro and Bonk as our top 3 center. They are all decent center who can produce offensively so what the management will do with Tomas? Should they trade him for a pick? Should they trade Ribeiro and replace him by Plekanec? One thing is sure right now, Plekanec have to make the big jump as soon as the NHL season start so Bob Gainey will have a BIG decision to make...

If you qere the GM of the Habs, what would you do?

Old
11-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Plekanec is probably the best Bulldogs player right now and he's the team leader in term of scoring. In Montreal, we have Koivu, Ribeiro and Bonk as our top 3 center. They are all decent center who can produce offensively so what the management will do with Tomas? Should they trade him for a pick? Should they trade Ribeiro and replace him by Plekanec? One thing is sure right now, Plekanec have to make the big jump as soon as the NHL season start so Bob Gainey will have a BIG decision to make...

I would call CJ and suggest him to put Pleks on a line with Ribs and Ryder...

Old
11-22-2004, 02:01 PM
x-bob

Quote:

There are so many options. Bonk, Pleks and Ribs could all be moved to the wing if it really needs to done.

Old
11-22-2004, 02:40 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
There are so many options. Bonk, Pleks and Ribs could all be moved to the wing if it really needs to done.
I don't think you'd want to move Ribs onto the wing.

Old
11-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Ryan_Habs_16

Its probably best to wait things out, its always tricky when you have a lot of decent players at one position. I am sure Gainey will be a little patient once the season resumes. Who knows, maybe Ribeiro won't have a great season, and Plekanec will take over. All I know is, room should be made some how for Plekanec, he has learned practically all he can in the AHL. As for trading, that win't happen unless Pleks has proved he is capable (I am sure he is) but he still needs to show up.

Old
11-22-2004, 03:25 PM
tinyzombies

I would like to see a trade for some skilled players with size. That would break the logjam nicely.

Or, sign Kovalev (and dump Brisebois), and then trade for defense.

Old
11-22-2004, 03:49 PM
mcphee

I picture him on the wing with Bonk and Bullis for some reason. He'd give a bit of quickness and finish to the line .

Old
11-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Fan

[QUOTE=raketheleaves]I would like to see a trade for some skilled players with size. That would break the logjam nicely.

Exactly,why add another small forward to an already small lineup.
Makes no sense what so ever.
Trade Plecanic to the Rangers for a couple of their bigger prospects.
Plecanic if and if he ever makes the NHL will be another small soft forward that the Habs DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES NEED MORE OF.

(and dump Brisebois)

Old
11-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I picture him on the wing with Bonk and Bullis for some reason. He'd give a bit of quickness and finish to the line .
That's where I see Higgins playing I would think that they would take the two open wing spots on the second and third lines, and so far Pleks looks like the better offensive player (don't think it'll stay that way, personally) so he'd go on the second.

Although Dags would have a shot at that spot too of course.

Old
11-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

[QUOTE=Fan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Plecanic if and if he ever makes the NHL will be another small soft forward that the Habs DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES NEED MORE OF.
Small Foward? Yeah but he play like if he was 6-2.
Soft Foward? NO! He's not soft at all.

He's just like Koivu but with less skills...the Habs could use that!

Old
11-22-2004, 09:39 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:

Personally I'd love to see them deal Ribs for some size and then move Pleks to his spot... but that's just me, I've made it clear in the past that I think Ribs is a very tradeable asset, and I'd rathe see Pleks in his spot. At any rate, it's a nice dilemma to have, ain't it?

Old
11-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:

Yeah, and he's built like a ******* blitzkrieg!

Old
11-22-2004, 10:13 PM
NewHabsEra*

Plekanec is made stronger than Koivu and has very good skillset as well... Both play a smart and gritty 2-way game giving their 100% every shifts...

It will be very interesting to watch them play when the NHL resume... To me Pleky will take Ribs' spot almost as easily as Ribs did last year on Perreault.

Old
11-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

The good thing with Plekanec is that I can see him being versatile enough that you can keep him around a team all year and not worry about screwing him up. He can play spot duty on the 4th line at first, more effectively than other young talents like Bure and Ribeiro did when they broke in. Then when an injury opens up a spot anywhere else in the lineup, he could step up.

Old
11-23-2004, 07:00 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:

I see him centering the fourth line untill he takes Ribeiro's spot.

Old
11-24-2004, 08:12 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Sounds good, but hasent he been playing centre the last few years in Hamilton (im quite positive he has)? If so, im not so sure changing his position that quickly at a higher level would be such a great idea. Having just said that though, Pleks is a pretty versatile player.........

I guess with his type, it cant hurt to try.

Old
11-24-2004, 08:38 AM
saskhab

Some assumptions are being made here...

1. That Koivu will still be a Hab after his current contract expires. All indications are that the UFA age will be lowered from 31, and even if that isn't the case, if we lose a season Koivu's contract will end when he's 31. He may go to a different team, or back to Europe, or re-sign with the Habs. No one knows what will happen until it does.

2. That Pleks can provide the offense that Ribs can. That's quite debateable.

3. That Bonk will be our #3 centre. We did trade for a C with size, but he may end up being put on the wing of one of our top 2 lines if we need some more offence.

4. That Steve Bégin will play wing. He really is our 4th line centre, though when Dowd joined the team he was exclusively a winger. Our #4 line for the majority of last year was Langdon-Bégin-Ward.

5. That Michael Ryder's contract situation won't drag on well into a new CBA, leaving a top 6 winger position open.

Plekanec can play any forward position... He came from the Czech leagues listed as a winger. With the spots available at forward, Plekanec will likely be on the team and play a minor role as a rookie. Eventually, he's a guy to look to be promoted, or else used as a trade asset for a Cup run.

Old
11-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11
Personally I'd love to see them deal Ribs for some size and then move Pleks to his spot... but that's just me, I've made it clear in the past that I think Ribs is a very tradeable asset, and I'd rathe see Pleks in his spot. At any rate, it's a nice dilemma to have, ain't it?

Yes, its a great dilemma to have. I think this question is going to come up many more times in the future.

I just hope it doesn't turn into a 24 hour ritual like here in BC. You wouldn't believe the amount of talk there was the whole year over who should be the #1 QB. Dickenson or Printers. Even after the grey cup, they are still talking about this.... its getting really sick.

Old
11-24-2004, 10:58 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab
Some assumptions are being made here...

1. That Koivu will still be a Hab after his current contract expires. All indications are that the UFA age will be lowered from 31, and even if that isn't the case, if we lose a season Koivu's contract will end when he's 31. He may go to a different team, or back to Europe, or re-sign with the Habs. No one knows what will happen until it does.

2. That Pleks can provide the offense that Ribs can. That's quite debateable.

3. That Bonk will be our #3 centre. We did trade for a C with size, but he may end up being put on the wing of one of our top 2 lines if we need some more offence.

4. That Steve Bégin will play wing. He really is our 4th line centre, though when Dowd joined the team he was exclusively a winger. Our #4 line for the majority of last year was Langdon-Bégin-Ward.

5. That Michael Ryder's contract situation won't drag on well into a new CBA, leaving a top 6 winger position open.

Plekanec can play any forward position... He came from the Czech leagues listed as a winger. With the spots available at forward, Plekanec will likely be on the team and play a minor role as a rookie. Eventually, he's a guy to look to be promoted, or else used as a trade asset for a Cup run.

Yes, the options are really endless. And its not like the habs are going to go through the whole year without injuries. So players will be flip flopping all over the place. Julien isn't afraid to shake things up when thing are not going well.

Old
11-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Bugsy

1) Koivu is the heart of the team. Theodore may be the backbone, but Koivu is the leader. If his contract is up, Gainey will do anything to keep him in Montreal because if they lose him, it sets back the rebuilding process.
2) Sure is debatable, but before last year, everyone except the die hard Ribeiro fans thought he was a complete bust! Plecanec may or may not succeed, who knows.
3) Bonk won't be a good winger. The Sens tried to get him to play wing to make room for Spezza but it failed. Ribeiro won't play wing because as he said last season, he "prefers" center.
4) Steve Begin is the Habs 4th line energy guy! According to him, it really doesn't matter where he plays as long as he gets to play!! Love the guy's attitude and team spirit!! A fourth line of Begin-Plecanec-Ward would be a good one!

I vote for trading Ribeiro for a top line winger like Jeff O'Neill. O'Neill has had a rough time in Carolina and a change of scenery is just what the doctor ordered!

Old
11-25-2004, 01:45 AM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy
I vote for trading Ribeiro for a top line winger like Jeff O'Neill. O'Neill has had a rough time in Carolina and a change of scenery is just what the doctor ordered!
The problem is that in this league, they don't trade powerforwards for 170 pounders.

Old
11-25-2004, 01:45 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
1) Koivu is the heart of the team. Theodore may be the backbone, but Koivu is the leader. If his contract is up, Gainey will do anything to keep him in Montreal because if they lose him, it sets back the rebuilding process.
2) Sure is debatable, but before last year, everyone except the die hard Ribeiro fans thought he was a complete bust! Plecanec may or may not succeed, who knows.
3) Bonk won't be a good winger. The Sens tried to get him to play wing to make room for Spezza but it failed. Ribeiro won't play wing because as he said last season, he "prefers" center.
4) Steve Begin is the Habs 4th line energy guy! According to him, it really doesn't matter where he plays as long as he gets to play!! Love the guy's attitude and team spirit!! A fourth line of Begin-Plecanec-Ward would be a good one!

If we do trade Ribs, I hope it isn't for O'Neill. We've got plenty of wingers in the system (if you count prospects we're counting on to develop) but I don't know if we've got any centers who are as good as Ribs on a scoring line (Koivu aside.) I like Pleks, but I'm not convinced he'll ever top 60 points in the NHL.

To me, a trade of that sort runs a serious risk of a) fixing something that isn't broken and b) breaking something that isn't broken. Now if you were to say the same thing, but replace O'Neill with a top-4 stay-at-home Defenseman I'm all ears, because we need one of those.

Old
11-25-2004, 07:47 AM
mcphee

I don't think Ribs would get you O'Neill. Something about O'Neill makes my radar go up and tells me to stay away. He's been sold lately as a small p power forward but I think he's become overrated in his value, merely by the rumours surrounding him. I don't know what it is, but I'd look elsewhere, I think he's a guy that something will turn sour with and I don't know that I have facts to back it up, just a feeling or suspicion about attitude.

Old
11-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:
I don't think Ribs would get you O'Neill. Something about O'Neill makes my radar go up and tells me to stay away. He's been sold lately as a small p power forward but I think he's become overrated in his value, merely by the rumours surrounding him. I don't know what it is, but I'd look elsewhere, I think he's a guy that something will turn sour with and I don't know that I have facts to back it up, just a feeling or suspicion about attitude.
Your avatar is very becoming!!

Old
11-25-2004, 09:42 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

Begin is most effective on the wing where he can maximize his grit, hustle and physical play. I could see very well Pleks starting the next season centering the fourth line

Begin Plekanec Ward... This fourth line could provide us some offense, would be very energic, could be used with regularity and be very reliable defensively...

Pleks could be promuted on the second line at some point in the season if ever Ribeiro does'nt perform as expected.

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 11-25-2004 at 10:00 AM.
Closed Thread