HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Enough in Montreal Gauthier fired.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Tarmore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
HIRE HIM! I'm serious. He knows how to deal with pressure, burkie does not.
I have read some goofy things you have posted but I don't know if I should laugh or facepalm over this one...

Tarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebeid View Post
Doesn't sound like Roy wants the BS. I heard a quote from him that he was happy as the judge, jury and executioner for the Ramparts.
Didn't realize that, guess he's smarter than he sounds.

Pete McGuire will be an interesting option.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Damn, I was hoping he would stay in Montreal forever
lol I wanted the same damn it

03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

In all seriousness, sorry to hear about Gauthier losing his job but good for the habs to cut the ties, the guy was really screwing things around. Trades weren't doing well, prospect movement was so so as well

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Glen Healy to replace him? Montreal is a good consolation prize from the Leafs
Please happen. I'm serious. I am sick and tired of hearing his voice between the benches on HNIC.

This move was expected. It sucks for Randy Cunneyworth too because that he is all but done just because english is his first language.

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:55 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

He thinks Montreal is the best hockey market.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:57 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
In all seriousness, sorry to hear about Gauthier losing his job but good for the habs to cut the ties, the guy was really screwing things around. Trades weren't doing well, prospect movement was so so as well
Sounds like the Leafs.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:57 AM
punchdrunk88

Quote:
HIRE HIM! I'm serious. He knows how to deal with pressure, burkie does not.
Its hard to even tell anyone who is serious anymore considering some of the ideas people have on this board.

punchdrunk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:01 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Sounds like the Leafs.
Its hard to bask in the glory of the Habs demise when the Leafs are just as bad or maybe even worse. At least the Habs have Carey Price. Sad day in hockey when the two oldest and most storied franchises are the laughing stocks of the NHL with a couple of "who cares markets" like Columbus and the NYI.

hockeyfanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Geoff Molson says he does listen to fans. What a fool, right?

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
biggest fool ever.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
the guy runs one of the most successful breweries in Canada. He is not an idiot. Only an idiot would diss his own customers.

hockeyfanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Hockey is a results oriented business and the GM is judged on his performance on where team does in the standings.

A bottom 5 finish doesn't leave a GM a lot of room to hide, when expectations for playoffs exist and a storied proud organization doesn't accept failure as an option. This demonstrates a desire for Montreal ownership that they hope to be in playoffs next year again, so they want to give the new GM enough time to mold his team into one over the summer.

Gauthier is just the first to go, while other GMs are likely to be fired over the summer as well, for their teams poor performance not meeting expectations.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
They'll give the Team to Patrick Roy and the whole thing will be a giant cluster ____.
doesn't matter who they give it too really, the GM is and will be Geoff Molson

think of him as Ballard lite

The meglomaniac that is the Great Paddy Roy would be fantastic entertainment though, they'd have to have a pool as to how soon the public meltdown between the two of them would happen.

"I'm not telling you again Patrick do it now or you're fired!"

"I can't 'ere you muadite Beerman I av my Stanley cup rings in my ears"

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Sounds like the Leafs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Its hard to bask in the glory of the Habs demise when the Leafs are just as bad or maybe even worse. At least the Habs have Carey Price. Sad day in hockey when the two oldest and most storied franchises are the laughing stocks of the NHL with a couple of "who cares markets" like Columbus and the NYI.
Oh please, if you look at the work gauthier did and what burke did there are a lot of difference.

The only victories that guathier so far has is the cole signing and possibly picking up Nathan Beaulieu who seems to be a good prospect.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:18 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
doesn't matter who they give it too really, the GM is and will be Geoff Molson
think of him as Ballard lite

The meglomaniac that is the Great Paddy Roy would be fantastic entertainment though, they'd have to have a pool as to how soon the public meltdown between the two of them would happen.

"I'm not telling you again Patrick do it now or you're fired!"

"I can't 'ere you muadite Beerman I av my Stanley cup rings in my ears"
Sounds like the type of Owner some Leaf fans wish for.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Hurt

Quote:
It was early in the morning!

03-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Oh please, if you look at the work gauthier did and what burke did there are a lot of difference.

The only victories that guathier so far has is the cole signing and possibly picking up Nathan Beaulieu who seems to be a good prospect.
in Burke's 4 year reign the leafs have been on par with Columbus, NYI and EDM for least points accumulated in NHL. i despised gauthier, at least habs have been in playoffs last 4 years and won a few rounds

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

How many points did the Leafs finish with in Burke's first season? How many points can they finish with this season?

Yeah, he hasn't improved the Leafs a single bit. No goaltender for the present nor the future, porous defense on ice and built a team based on speed just to scrap everything and try to force a new style by a new coach. That 5 year re-tool will soon turn into a 8 year re-tool etc.

It only took Gauthier one season of finishing in the bottom (and not making the playoffs) to get the axe. Burke has enjoyed a looooong honeymoon period.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
How many points did the Leafs finish with in Burke's first season? How many points can they finish with this season?

Yeah, he hasn't improved the Leafs a single bit. No goaltender for the present nor the future, porous defense on ice and built a team based on speed just to scrap everything and try to force a new style by a new coach. That 5 year re-tool will soon turn into a 8 year re-tool etc.

It only took Gauthier one season of finishing in the bottom (and not making the playoffs) to get the axe. Burke has enjoyed a looooong honeymoon period.
So Gauthier took a team that went to the conference finals, and made the playoffs both years before he got there and turned them into a lottery team. And you are comparing it to a team that is basically in the same position when Burke started in terms of standing? Sounds legit...

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
1 missed season as GM is all it took for change in Montreal.

Quote:
Gauthier was promoted to the role of executive vice president and GM in February 2010 after Gainey stepped down.

In his first full season as GM, Gauthier's Canadiens finished sixth in the East and made the playoffs but were eliminated in seven games by the eventual Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins in the first round.
The owner speaks out as to why he fired the GM.

Quote:
"We need to remember that our fans want us to win, period," Geoff Molson told reporters at the team's practice facility in Brossard.

"Our organizational culture is to support and adopt this passion for victory. Nothing else matters."

"Everyone in this organization, including our players, expected better," Molson said.
Some organizations set pretty high standards for themselves where failure and sense of entitlement is simply not acceptable.

Last edited by Mess: 03-29-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:55 PM
mooseOAK*

Wow, Montreal's new GM is a success already and we don't even know who he is.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:06 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
1 missed season as GM is all it took for change in Montreal.

Do you expect every Team that missed the Playoffs to fire their GM?

Old
03-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

I've not liked everything Burke has done upto this point but you can't compare him with Gauthier. He's much better than Gauthier. He won a Cup in Anaheim before he came on board, he had proven credentials.

Gauthier inherited the good and bad moves of Bob Gainey. Sure the Habs made the playoffs but they played in a defensive system that ensured they made the playoffs but not much else after.

Look at the Habs this year, 2 30 goal scorers, could that have ever happened if JM was coach? Nope.

The Leafs system of speed is all but scrapped after this season, and that's why Ron Wilson was FINALLY fired after many seasons of failure.

I really wish the Leafs were more like the Habs in those type of decisions. The firing of JM was swift and one that needed to be done, but the hiring of Randy Cunneyworth was a dumb decision. The Leafs didn't fire Wilson despite his failures and that is Burke's fault.

The firing of Gauthier was swift because he pretty much backstabbed Randy Cunneyworth by "apologizing to the fans" for not hiring a French coach, panicking and trading for Kaberle (you guys will regret this) and signing Markov to an extension of 3 YEARS?

You can blame Burke all you want and it will be warranted but he has never panicked and picked up an over the hill veteran player. He doesn't give a damn what the media will say after the Leafs will miss the playoffs. He didn't make a stupid move at the deadline just to ensure that the crashing Leafs make the 8th spot.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Some organizations set pretty high standards for themselves where failure and sense of entitlement is simply not acceptable.
So should Yzerman get fired? Rutherford? McPhee?

Gauthier got fired because he's a crappy GM, not because he missed the playoffs.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote