HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Shaone Morrisonn/reentry waivers/playoffs?

Old
03-28-2012, 10:20 AM
DixonWard15

vCash: 500
Shaone Morrisonn/reentry waivers/playoffs?

Last night seemed like a flashback to 2006, I really thought Doug Janik and Jeff Jillson were going to jump over the boards for a shift.

It is my understanding that there isn't a waiver wire or salary cap for the playoffs, could Morrisonn be an emergency call up if we needed him for the playoffs? While McNabb and Brennan look like bright prospects I would want Morrisonn before either one in the playoffs.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

I wouldn't mind seeing Shaone up here, he would add some grit on the backend which is a necessity in the playoffs... We can't let anyone take liberties with Miller.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I'd want to get our Rochester friends input first... but based on what Weber's put on tape this year, I'd say it should definitely be an option.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Players on injury/emergency recall do not have to pass through waivers.

03-28-2012, 11:43 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Very glad to have him there as an option if the team makes the playoffs and needs him.

We have 9D I'm ok with (some with limited minutes of course), then Brennan which might be ok with limited minutes as well..

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:50 AM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Players on injury/emergency recall do not have to pass through waivers.

he is an expensive insurance policy but it could be money well spent

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:00 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Very glad to have him there as an option if the team makes the playoffs and needs him.

We have 9D I'm ok with (some with limited minutes of course), then Brennan which might be ok with limited minutes as well..

G G A P +/- PIM PP 57 4 11 15 5 40 2

sog >76 sh% 5.3

pretty much he has 57 games 4 goals 11 assists 15 points +/-5 pim 40 ppg 2 sog 76 sh%5.3

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I liked Shaone when he was up here. He sucked but you could tell he cared. Has anyone been watching him in Rochester? How has he been playing? He can't be much worse than Weber when he's bad.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Reddawg

I give the guy a ton of credit for taking his NHL salary and burying his pride to do good work in the minors. That said, I don't see him as an option unless we really do run into an 05-06 situation where we're down to the 5th or 6th reserve...

NHLers
Ehrhoff
Myers
Sekera
Regehr
Leopold
Sulzer
Weber

First callups (in order)
McNabb
Brennan
Finley

No choice callups
This is the area where I'd start exhausting any option to get a body into the lineup, and that's the only place I'd start looking at Morissonn, Persson, Biega...guys who just shouldn't be in a playoff lineup unless there is truly no other choice.

Reddawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:11 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

In the playoffs actually Morrisonn becomes more of an option because they don't have to worry about his cap hit. If they called him up in the regular season and he got hurt, the cap situation would be screwed. In the playoffs, there's no such worry.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
Last night seemed like a flashback to 2006, I really thought Doug Janik and Jeff Jillson were going to jump over the boards for a shift.

It is my understanding that there isn't a waiver wire or salary cap for the playoffs, could Morrisonn be an emergency call up if we needed him for the playoffs? While McNabb and Brennan look like bright prospects I would want Morrisonn before either one in the playoffs.

Great, now I can't sleep tonight.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:45 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
I give the guy a ton of credit for taking his NHL salary and burying his pride to do good work in the minors. That said, I don't see him as an option unless we really do run into an 05-06 situation where we're down to the 5th or 6th reserve...

NHLers
Ehrhoff
Myers
Sekera
Regehr
Leopold
Sulzer
Weber

First callups (in order)
McNabb
Brennan
Finley

No choice callups
This is the area where I'd start exhausting any option to get a body into the lineup, and that's the only place I'd start looking at Morissonn, Persson, Biega...guys who just shouldn't be in a playoff lineup unless there is truly no other choice.
If the call ups go by who is playing the best at the time it will be:

Brennan
Crawford
McNabb

They did it this way with the forwards when Turnball received the call so it should continue as the MO for the D.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
If the call ups go by who is playing the best at the time it will be:

Brennan
Crawford
McNabb

They did it this way with the forwards when Turnball received the call so it should continue as the MO for the D.
I left Crawford off because I can't see Lindy putting a rookie into the playoffs for his first NHL game unless he has no other choice in the matter. Same argument against Biega.

It's like Nathan Paetsch back in 05-06...he was certainly a better option than Jillson and probably better than Janik but that lack of NHL or playoff experience meant he didn't get the call in the playoffs until McKee went down for Game 7 against Carolina and there was literally no other choice but to put him out there.

Paetsch had 50 points in 72 games for the Amerks that year. 4th leading scorer on the team. He did pretty well in Game 7...12 minutes played, even +/- and 3 shots on goal. The regulars were the goats in that one, I remember Fitzpatrick having a horrible game specifically.

Reddawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I'd honestly love to see Shamoo back up with us. He's been very good in Rochester, and a leader for them, when he easily could have quit and pouted. He deserves another shot in the NHL, and I really hope he gets it, just not at the expense of Hoff.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Morrision would likely be 1st or 2nd call up, he is a proven NHL would would be a bottom pair guy on 25 other teams

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
Morrision would likely be 1st or 2nd call up, he is a proven NHL would would be a bottom pair guy on 25 other teams
Agreed. For the playoffs, I think they would bring up Morrison and Brennen before McNabb, based solely on their experience at the pro (even if its just AHL in Bren's case) level. Well, let's hope it doesn't come to that. I do take some comfort in knowing we have a few guys who could fill in if necessary, though. They'd have to be better than the dreaded Janik, Fitzpatrick, and Jillson trio. Ouch.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:21 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
G G A P +/- PIM PP 57 4 11 15 5 40 2

sog >76 sh% 5.3

pretty much he has 57 games 4 goals 11 assists 15 points +/-5 pim 40 ppg 2 sog 76 sh%5.3
What does this mean? Shots on goal greater than 76? And while I appreciate you peeling the stats, it really doesn't give us deep insight as to how he has looked down there all year, which is what I'm most curious about

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:49 PM
Luceni

I've got some trust in McNabb and Finley. They both can handle limited minutes in the nhl playoffs.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:03 AM
McTank

Would maybe rather have Mcnabb up but Morrison would definately be my number 2 call up

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:17 PM
hockey18

He has been ok in rochester. You don't see him busting his butt all the time. As big as he is, and supposed to be a great d guy, he could offer more. Brennan has played the best and his shot should be a weapon to use. Mcnabb can fill in also.

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote