HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus wants Gardiner, Kadri, and 2012 1st round pick in exchange for Rick Nash

Old
03-29-2012, 02:38 PM
MarryMarner

vCash: 500
I'll do Luke Schenn, Nazem Kadri, 2012 1st and whatever (choice of Ross, Percey, Biggs). Not willing to give away Gardiner and a potential top 3 together. That could turn out worse then the Kessel trade.

MarryMarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
It's hilarious how you're totally wrong on every point except for the last one.
Lupul and kessel are better than Nash this season. Maybe the trend continues.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
I would do Connolly + TOR 1st 2012 (if 5th overall or better) + Gunnarsson
for Rick Nash.

Howson is losing bargaining power by the day, and the top 5 pick, potential 1st overall if the Leafs won the lottery, would mean a big-time payoff for the rebuilding Jackets.

Even if it's just the 5th, that's a Dumba/Forsberg/Galchenyuk to go with Yakupov/Grigorenko.

The Jackets have to acknowledge that a) Nash wants out, and b) Howson burned his own ass selling out Nash to the media. He's got to stop the bleeding somehow.

Gunnarsson has been a good blueliner, is young and can grow with the defensive corps, Connolly is a plug, salary fill-in, but he's not useless, can help the team for next year AND his salary falls off after the 2012-13 season, which could be good for Columbus in the short-term.

It's not what Howson wants to see, but this is a realistic offer by Burke for an asset that Howson really doesn't have the leverage to sell for much higher, barring a crazy offer from a GM, but those usually happen in the trade deadline.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PhiladelphiaKessel
DontCrossthe****Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post
So Gardiner + Kadri + Galchenyuk for Nash?

LOL, no. I wouldn't even trade 2 of those guys for overrated and overpaid Nash.
Ya when you look at it that way it becomes even worse.... Our 3 best prospects for Nash? Its the Kessel deal all over again, except even worse considering nash's cap hit/age/production

PhiladelphiaKessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleafsfan91 View Post
I'll do Luke Schenn, Nazem Kadri, 2012 1st and whatever (choice of Ross, Percey, Biggs). Not willing to give away Gardiner and a potential top 3 together. That could turn out worse then the Kessel trade.
I have to say, I am glad you are not our GM.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Iarts and phion

Who do you think Kadri is? A franchise player? And Gardiner? Is he a number 1 D or does he look like he has the potential. Do you see how soft he is in his own end? You think he's going to amount to superstardom?
Kadri's absolute ceiling is a #1 C/Winger; realistically he will be a good 3rd/2nd liner who can put up 50ish points a season

Gardiner has already been one of our best dmen this year; and the sky is the limit for him

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
I would do Connolly + TOR 1st 2012 (if 5th overall or better) + Gunnarsson
for Rick Nash.

Howson is losing bargaining power by the day, and the top 5 pick, potential 1st overall if the Leafs won the lottery, would mean a big-time payoff for the rebuilding Jackets.

Even if it's just the 5th, that's a Dumba/Forsberg/Galchenyuk to go with Yakupov/Grigorenko.

The Jackets have to acknowledge that a) Nash wants out, and b) Howson burned his own ass selling out Nash to the media. He's got to stop the bleeding somehow.

Gunnarsson has been a good blueliner, is young and can grow with the defensive corps, Connolly is a plug, salary fill-in, but he's not useless, can help the team for next year AND his salary falls off after the 2012-13 season, which could be good for Columbus in the short-term.

It's not what Howson wants to see, but this is a realistic offer by Burke for an asset that Howson really doesn't have the leverage to sell for much higher, barring a crazy offer from a GM, but those usually happen in the trade deadline.
I would think Columbus is on Connolly's No trade Clause list of teams he will not go to.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:43 PM
francis246

no, we need our first round draft pick. I would do that to get their first round draft pick though.

francis246 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Hahaha.

**** no.

Keep your 28 year old, $7.8M, forward who averages 66 points a season.

For me, any deal including Kadri or Gardiner is a no go. Combine them both, and add a top 5 pick? No freaking way.
This and on top of all that Nash is a floater, and his so called intangibles are almost non-existent in the games I have seen him play.

Old
03-29-2012, 02:49 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Rick Nash is talented and would be the best PF in the game if he was consistent. That's the problem though, he's inconsistent.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:50 PM
buntek

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
Nash isn't exactly what the Leafs need since they have Kessel on the top line.

Perhaps a KESSEL for Nash trade is closer to what the Leafs need.

A top centre is the priority... Not another winger who would underperform due to the lack of a top pivot.
I would do Kessel for Nash in a heartbeat. Nash and Lupul on the top line, would be a great pair imo. Nash is a beast, a change of scenery would do him good. And Kessel, well you can't deny his talent, but he doesn't seem like he's got that fire in his belly to compete hard.

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:53 PM
mohare

Why would we give up 3 important pieces. We can just match the Rangers offer.

From NY

Dubinsky
21-year-old defenseman Tim Erixon
2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller
2010 second-rounder Christian Thomas
first-round selection in this June’s Entry Draft.

Or from Toronto

Kulemin
Blacker
Biggs
D'Amigo
Conditional 1st round pick (CBJ receives Toronto's pick the first year Toronto makes the playoffs)

mohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:53 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntek View Post
I would do Kessel for Nash in a heartbeat. Nash and Lupul on the top line, would be a great pair imo. Nash is a beast, a change of scenery would do him good. And Kessel, well you can't deny his talent, but he doesn't seem like he's got that fire in his belly to compete hard.
Nash is essentially a souped up version of Lupul. Better hands, faster, but thats about it. Not sure thats the best fit

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Ricky Bobby

So Toronto gives up a potential top pairing dman with 2 years left on his ELC, a top prospect who even if he becomes a 60 point player next season should get no more than 3 or 4 million on his 2nd contract and a very high first rounder for a 7.8 million player who is at the position we need the least amount of help at who might just help us get into the playoff but probably not cause our goaltending still sucks and are centers among the very weakest in the NHL.

If Burke is selling the farm for a player (which this summer isn't the right time to do) it needs to be for a center with multiple years left on his contract or a franchise goalie like a Price or King Henry.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:10 PM
K19*

What a godawful deal! I hope Burke is not stupid enough to consider something like this.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
T M L

NO way!

T M L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:19 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

No thanks.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:21 PM
bobbyflex

Nash is the biggest floater. People think Carlyle will like him? LOL.

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:21 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Iarts and phion

Who do you think Kadri is? A franchise player? And Gardiner? Is he a number 1 D or does he look like he has the potential. Do you see how soft he is in his own end? You think he's going to amount to superstardom?
Kadri doesn't have to be a franchise player in order to make it silly to include him in such a deal.

The kid has shown flashes of what he can become, he just needs to finally get the chance to strut his stuff. Under Wilson, he really didn't get a proper opportunity. It's not unreasonable to suggest he could be a 60+ point forward. Nash isn't a whole lot better than that.

As far as Gardiner goes, he looks like he could definitely be a top pairing defenseman. He's on pace (82 games) for a 30 point season as a rookie, and that's a great sign of things to come. He looks incredibly poised for such a young defenseman on a team that has struggled in that department.

03-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

i'd do it if our pick is outside the top 4 and replace Gardiner with Schenn in the deal!

Kadri + Schenn + 1st

For

Nash

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
According to reports, the Leafs refused to move Gardiner. They were willing to trade Kadri and the 1st rounder (which was projected to be a 12-15th rounder at the time and presumably higher had we attained Nash).

Let's say Columbus still won't make a trade unless it includes Gardiner, and we can massage the deal into:

Gardiner, Frattin or Colbourne, 2013 1st round pick.

I know people freak out at the thought of Gardiner being moved, but I really don't see him being a #1 defenceman. Obviously I could be wrong and all that but I've seen plenty of defensemen and rookies in general look great at first but then level off in their play.

I just have this feeling that next year we'll be saying "why the hell didn't we trade Gardiner for Nash?".

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

I'd move:

Schenn
Colborne
Ross or McKegg

Columbus would most likely scoff at that, but I really don't care for Nash much at all.

MoreMogilny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Duffman955

Nash is a slight upgrade on Lupul, but costs 3.3M more. We are already deep on the wing. Unless the asking price is super low, Burke should stay far away from Nash.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

If the leafs were willing to move Gardiner for Nash, I think we'd have seen the deal completed already.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
daner

Screw that! Nash is a good player but this team is still roughly in the same position (standings wise) with him here I'd bet. That is wayyyyyyyy too much.

We shouldnt even be talking about getting Nash. We suck, so we might as well run with what we have and suck some more. If Burke trades any of our prospects for him he is just jumping the gun again. Make this trade (or similar) in 2 to 3 years when our young guns are here/developed.

If we trade for Rick Nash I truely will be dissappointed.

daner is offline   Reply With Quote