HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tie Domi on leafs futility

Old
03-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 500
Tie Domi on leafs futility

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...h-guy-tie-domi

Pretty well written article. Great read. Nice to see some alumni take notice

Michael Gary Scott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:08 AM
NiL8r87

Not well written at all. He basically let Domi do all of the work.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:20 AM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...h-guy-tie-domi

Pretty well written article. Great read. Nice to see some alumni take notice

It’s been suggested that the Leafs, one of the youngest teams in the league, desperately require the presence of veteran leadership. Dion Phaneuf, the captain, has appeared flummoxed by his club’s epic collapse, 19 losses in the past 24 games. But Carl Gunnarsson, the dependable defenceman, took issue with the suggestion of experienced additions.

“This is the group we’ve got. We can’t ask for anyone else to come in and be Jesus here,” Gunnarsson said. “It’s up to us, I think. We don’t need a saviour. We can do it on our own.”

To that end, Domi shared some thoughts that could certainly be of use to the local NHLers.

On dealing with trade rumours: “Complain about the trade deadline? That’s part of professional sports. That’s why you make so much money. Like, who cares? Don’t listen to it. Don’t even address it. It was driving me crazy seeing guys getting interviews addressing what they were going through.”

On social media: “Twitter anything about our team — you should be fined. My son is on the social media, but he’s 16. It’s different. But up here (in the NHL), you’re getting paid big dollars. Big dollars. Don’t take it for granted, because it doesn’t last forever. It doesn’t last forever in this city. This city’s seen a lot of guys come and go that couldn’t handle the pressure.”

On dealing with the media: “Nazem Kadri can play. But when I saw Kadri’s first few interviews, I was like, ‘Is this for real?’ I couldn’t believe it. (Veteran players have) got to guide a kid. The first time he did it, some older guys should have taken him for lunch and said, ‘Hey, this is how it’s done. . . . You’ve got to talk about the team, not ‘me’ or ‘I.’”

On what needs to happen internally: “Stop saying it’s the GM. Stop saying it’s the coach. Step up, core guys. Figure it out.”

Domi is speaking about the elephant in the room - there is an evident lack of leadership.

He is calling out Dion big time.

And he's right...!

This is why Nash OR another veteran presence minus the self-centred machismo of Dion is required. Dustin Brown... Getzlaf yeah yeah yeah, they all cost...

Just cause he wants to be a leader of men, doesn't mean that he is.

Has his greatest contribution to the room been his taking over as dressing room MC?

Something's got to give here man.

He needs support i.e.) Colby HELLO?

Wanna see Burke questioned re leadership on the ice.

Dion was Ron's captain & Ron is gone so....

HockeyNightInBelfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:28 AM
saint2e

We need a Gary Roberts type player in the locker room.

saint2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:28 AM
TheTotalPackage

I've never really cared for Domi and what he's said, and this '“I played in every one of those playoff games like it was my last,” Domi said, pounding his chest with a big fist for emphasis.' made me laugh, but I think he made some valid points.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Domi: "Nazem Kadri can play"

He sees the light.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:44 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

He's right, the leadership is obviously lacking, and these pansies should've pulled their bra straps tighter around the deadline and ignored the rumours. That IS part of why they get paid big bucks to deal with the pressure of being in the limelight. Anyone that uses that as an excuse is going to be a perennial loser on this team, and that includes Burke. He shouldn't have acknowledge the additional pressure to the media.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Stringer Bell

Quinn teams were stock full of character, from the top to the bottom.

Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:47 AM
trickster

Last time the Leafs made the playoffs they had a 36 yr old Roberts, and 37 year old Nieuwendyk providing frequent contributions... The team was so veteran laden that they did not require leadership, but my point is that guys of that age can contribute...

The only youth they had was a 19yr old Stajan, And a 23 yr old Antropov...

I would not be adverse to the Leafs adding guys like Langenbrunner or Arnott this offseason, even if it takes two spots for rookies...
You can't have such a young team and win... This roster could use aa vet or two...

In three years when the young core of this team matures, this could be a very good team, especially with some key additions...

I'm looking at 2017 as our Cup year. No expectations prior to that.

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

yeah, that's all we need is Dummi and his idiotic penalties.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:06 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
He's right, the leadership is obviously lacking, and these pansies should've pulled their bra straps tighter around the deadline and ignored the rumours. That IS part of why they get paid big bucks to deal with the pressure of being in the limelight. Anyone that uses that as an excuse is going to be a perennial loser on this team, and that includes Burke. He shouldn't have acknowledge the additional pressure to the media.
I'd blame the goaltending a lot more than I would leadership.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:06 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
Dustin Brown has been called out for his ability to lead the Kings, how is he a magical fix over Dion? IMO the Kings are more talented than Toronto, but lack the same accountability and tenacity that plagues the Leafs.

Then we're talking about Nash, how has he been as a leader in Columbus? Is there a good track record to indicate we're be getting a guy that can lead a dressing room?

Getzlaf WOULD cost too much, there likely isn't even a ticket price that the team could pay. That ANY team could pay. Barring Pittsburgh sending Gino and Sid, or any other completely insane trade offer. There was maybe a small window where the Ducks would've considered a moderately insane trade, like Kessel + Kadri + Gardiner + TOR 1st 2012 + TOR 1st 2013. You'd pay that for Getzlaf? It's the Wendel Clark for Sundin deal all over again. Get rid of a KEY guy on the team to get a KEY guy for the team and spend the next few years trying to rebuild assets to REPLACE the guys you gave up...

It's brilliant...

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:33 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Character? Yes. How about skill. Quinn's teams were sick with skill...Mats, Cujo or Eddie, Almo (amazing hockey player), McCabe and Kaberle in their primes, gritty like Roberts and Tucker, Domi and Corson...Man so close to a championship team....just coudn't get over the hump. But comparing those Quinn 100 point teams to these Leafs is a joke. Quinn had all the components in place....leadership, skill, grit, goaltending....solid. The current Leafs have none of the above.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:39 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

and that article is exactly why Tie Domi's son has had a successful career that will most likely carry on in the NHL. Smart man.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

can't wait for the team to come back next year re-charged.

03-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
can't wait for the team to come back next year re-charged.
I don't expect this. At all. Things don't magically fix themselves. Even if they magically come re-charged next season, I don't expect the charge to last full 82 game season. Not with this group of leadership players.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:11 PM
hdtrax

Basically arguing that the Leafs should draft his son next year

in all seriousness though..I would - he could fall within our range if we stick to around 15th overall. The draft is THAT deep.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:02 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
Basically arguing that the Leafs should draft his son next year

in all seriousness though..I would - he could fall within our range if we stick to around 15th overall. The draft is THAT deep.
Lol, can just see it now....

There'd be nae pressure on the kid at all like eh?

Domi Sr should be praying the Leafs don't get him at all lol

It would be the hockey parent from hell scenario & it would play out in the papers fer years to come & be an intolerable distraction.

I'm a Leafs fan, there's a masochistic side that is ingrained in me as a result - would be hilarious to watch such a drama unfold, really it would be ha ha!

HockeyNightInBelfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:09 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

The fanbase would have gone crazy for playoff hockey, however, this plummit might have been the best thing if we draft a star, but the way these boards are now, I really miss the month ago when everything was positive.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Ricky Bobby

Leadership isn't the issue with this team.

It's lack of talent at key positions. Plain and simple.

Leafs have had bad goaltending this year and have among the weakest groups of centers in the league.

Everybody praises St. Louis and Stamkos for their leadership ability. Tampa Bay is a whopping 2 points ahead of us in the standing. Maybe goaltending has something to do with it?

Or how about the Ducks with all that great leadership who're tied with us in the standings. Or how about the Blue Jackets who a few years ago were a playoff team when they Steve Mason decided to show up.

What about Buffalo who were awful leading up to the all-star break. But than Miller decided to show up.

The fact is if you got goaltending you can win. If you don't well than your a lottery team.

Only the truly elite teams with multiple superstars like Detroit or Chicago can manage to get away with just average or below average goaltending.

Phaneuf, Kessel and Lupul carried this team on their backs into the all-star. How is that not leadership? Problem is that the goaltending and lack of other top end talent or even guys that are tough to play against caught up to the team.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Cool Hand Luke

East fix (assuming he wants to sign here): Shane Doan

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Leadership isn't the issue with this team.

It's lack of talent at key positions. Plain and simple.

Leafs have had bad goaltending this year and have among the weakest groups of centers in the league.

Everybody praises St. Louis and Stamkos for their leadership ability. Tampa Bay is a whopping 2 points ahead of us in the standing. Maybe goaltending has something to do with it?

Or how about the Ducks with all that great leadership who're tied with us in the standings. Or how about the Blue Jackets who a few years ago were a playoff team when they Steve Mason decided to show up.

What about Buffalo who were awful leading up to the all-star break. But than Miller decided to show up.

The fact is if you got goaltending you can win. If you don't well than your a lottery team.

Only the truly elite teams with multiple superstars like Detroit or Chicago can manage to get away with just average or below average goaltending.

Phaneuf, Kessel and Lupul carried this team on their backs into the all-star. How is that not leadership? Problem is that the goaltending and lack of other top end talent or even guys that are tough to play against caught up to the team.

Stamkos a leader? maybe in the scoring race...he's still a young guy. The Leadership should come from the likes of Vinny and Marty....dont look to Stammer for answers...

Phaneuf has been invisible, showing ZERO pride or pushback. Im a fan, but I gotta call it how I see it; his effort and headspace is leaving us all wanting more. In the past, Tucker or Roberts, SOMEBODY would have shown up and shown a heart.

Agree re goaltending. Its a major hole in the organization, and its job one to get that fixed.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:48 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Quinn teams were bought in the non-salary cap era, not developed. Any comparison is irrelevant. If we could pay $10M to every single player (Leafs could afford it), I'm sure Burke could assemble the best team in the league.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Stamkos a leader? maybe in the scoring race...he's still a young guy. The Leadership should come from the likes of Vinny and Marty....dont look to Stammer for answers...

Phaneuf has been invisible, showing ZERO pride or pushback. Im a fan, but I gotta call it how I see it; his effort and headspace is leaving us all wanting more. In the past, Tucker or Roberts, SOMEBODY would have shown up and shown a heart.

Agree re goaltending. Its a major hole in the organization, and its job one to get that fixed.
That elite 1st line center in Sundin and close to Vezina calibar goaltending that Cujo and Belfour provided would've showed up as well.

Awful goaltending and lack of top end talent aside from Phaneuf, Kessel and Lupul who carried this team on their backs is the problem. Phaneuf might not be the greatest leader in the NHL but he's still a leader and unfortunately also has one of the weakest groups in the NHL to lead.

I liked both Tucker and Roberts and all the intangibles they brought but without other parts of the team they aren't leading a team anywhere.

How did Messier, regarded as one of the best leaders of all-time in any sport do leading a weak Canaucks team?

Fix the goaltending so it's even average and bring in even a legitimate top 2 center to replace tweeners in Bozak and Connolly to give us even an average calibar roster and suddenly people will rave about the leadership.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Dayjobdave

Isn't Tie the guy who liked to show other players in the locker room his emails from Larry Tannenbaum?

Just what we need, another article from a shadow GM.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote