HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricanes Prospect Discussion & Update (part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Sturgeon's Law

vCash: 500
Is there any update on the Hoffman situation?

"You sensed that you should be following a different path, a more ambitious one, you felt that you were destined for other things but you had no idea how to achieve them and in your misery you began to hate everything around you."
Old
06-07-2014, 03:26 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Nope, wouldn't be surprised if it's for the same reason as last year either. Ritch Winter wants his clients playing basically anywhere else it seems. And if I'm Ronnie and our scouting staff I don't even interview any one of his clients for a while going forward.

Old
06-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
RE: Hofmann it also seems as if he hasn't really taken the step forward that was expected of him this season. He played really well with the NHL players in the first half of last season and that really got everybody's attention, and *really* cooled once they came back to the NHL. It seems like his production took another hit this season. He really only has one incredibly marketable tool and it's his skating for a player his size.

Old
06-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Mike Murphy has left the prospect graveyard in Charlotte once more to head overseas. This time, it's to play for Donbirner EC in the prestigious Austrian league.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13666

Old
06-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Mike Murphy has left the prospect graveyard in Charlotte once more to head overseas. This time, it's to play for Donbirner EC in the prestigious Austrian league.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13666
So who is left to play goalie in Charlotte? Muse? (or is Altshuller eligible next year)?

Old
06-16-2014, 02:45 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Altshuller.

Old
06-16-2014, 02:57 PM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Made Punk View Post
Altshuller.
Ah, so he is eligible for the AHL then. Thanks.

Old
07-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2014...canes.html?m=0

My annual review of the Canes' prospects in the OHL.

Old
07-14-2014, 08:53 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

nice writeup Brock, thanks. You think Pedersen is the type of guy that could switch his game to a more defensive, grinding style to make it to the pros as a 3rd or 4th liner, or is he going to have to break out more offensively to have a shot?

Old
07-15-2014, 03:40 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
nice writeup Brock, thanks. You think Pedersen is the type of guy that could switch his game to a more defensive, grinding style to make it to the pros as a 3rd or 4th liner, or is he going to have to break out more offensively to have a shot?
Tough question. Right now he's a tweener. He has an interesting skill set and I think he could potentially make it either way. But he needs to decide. If he's going to be a goal scoring prospect, he needs to up the intensity and play larger and more confidently with the puck. If he's going to be an energy guy, the forechecking and physicality has to be there all the time.

Old
07-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Brendan Collier was cut from Boston University and will play for Northeastern University next season. I don't think he has to sit out a year since he didn't transfer out of the program. I could be mistaken on that one. Not looking good for the pint sized scorer. It was a head scratcher of a pick when it was made.

Old
07-20-2014, 06:11 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Eh, it was a 7th rounder, good time for a risk-reward pick. Glad we'll have one of our guys on Northeastern now.

Old
07-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Hey guys, LWOS covered the Hurricanes top prospects in a piece today and I thought I'd share it with all of you. Happy reading!

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/07/...nes-prospects/

Old
07-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Hey guys, LWOS covered the Hurricanes top prospects in a piece today and I thought I'd share it with all of you. Happy reading!

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/07/...nes-prospects/
Good read

Old
07-27-2014, 11:49 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Interesting that you're so high on Rask's skating -- that's been the big criticism of his NHL-readiness to this point. Did you see that much improvement in his skating this year?

Old
07-27-2014, 01:06 PM
bleedgreen

Outside of hf, I never really hear negativity about his skating. People here sometimes make it sound like he can't stand up without assistance. The guy isn't even really slow, he just isn't blinding and because he's taller looks gangly while in stride. He's strong and can carry guys to the net on him. I really don't think it's his skating that has kept him out. I don't think anything has kept him out. He's a rookie that could benefit from a year in the minors. I don't think he's even behind schedule. Everything the team has said has been positive. I guess I've never understood we here think it's so bad.

Directing that at the board, not really at you tarheel.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 07-27-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old
07-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Sturgeon's Law

IIRC, he was a lock for being a lottery pick in 2011 a year before the draft, but fell to us in the second round largely due to concerns about his skating, which is where those complaints started.

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems to have been about his "compete level".

Old
07-28-2014, 12:43 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Outside of hf, I never really hear negativity about his skating. People here sometimes make it sound like he can't stand up without assistance. The guy isn't even really slow, he just isn't blinding and because he's taller looks gangly while in stride. He's strong and can carry guys to the net on him. I really don't think it's his skating that has kept him out. I don't think anything has kept him out. He's a rookie that could benefit from a year in the minors. I don't think he's even behind schedule. Everything the team has said has been positive. I guess I've never understood we here think it's so bad.

That's exactly why I asked -- HF can be a bit of an echo chamber when it comes to prospects and guys who don't get a lot of TV coverage. I've only seen Rask in person a handful of times, and he seemed at that time like his skating was his weakest feature, but he also struck me as a guy who was a future NHL'er. For the past year I've had literally nothing but HF to rely on for updates on his development, so it's kind of hard to know whether the skating criticism still has currency.

Old
07-28-2014, 12:46 PM
spockrock

possible dumb question alert...

Anyone have any insight as to why Fleury didn't sign an entry level deal during camp? Karmanos too cheap to pay a signing bonus this early?

I'm sure nothing to worry about since he's probably at least a year away at best, but doesn't he need to be signed in order to play in pre-season games?

Old
07-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

Re: Rask, it's not just an HFBoards view about his skating. Here's an interview with Tony MacDonald.

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/caroli...ony-macdonald/

Cliff notes of what he said about Rask just last February:

Basically said he needs to find another gear. His quickness and speed isn't there yet and he's been working with the Canes powerskating instructor in Charlotte. They think (or maybe are hopeful) he can find that gear. Believe he will be an NHLr if he can improve on speed/quickness.

Old
07-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by spockrock View Post
possible dumb question alert...

Anyone have any insight as to why Fleury didn't sign an entry level deal during camp? Karmanos too cheap to pay a signing bonus this early?

I'm sure nothing to worry about since he's probably at least a year away at best, but doesn't he need to be signed in order to play in pre-season games?
I don't recall them signing any draft picks until training camp in prior years, but I could be wrong.

Old
07-28-2014, 02:03 PM
spockrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I don't recall them signing any draft picks until training camp in prior years, but I could be wrong.
Ah, I, for some reason, was drawing a blank on which camp it was. Also, if memory serves, Lindholm was signed last year during development camp, I think, so that was throwing me off.

I remember way back that JR had to scramble to get E Staal signed after a stellar pre-season and was curious as to why Fleury hasn't signed like a few other top 10 picks so far, since Lindholm was signed so early last year. I certainly don't expect Fleury with the big club next year, but I wouldn't at all be shocked if he sticks around for preseason and maybe gets a game or 2 in for real...

Old
07-28-2014, 09:38 PM
bleedgreen

On the rask skating issue to bba and Tarheel, I recommend going to the ahl site and watching some highlights of charlottes games. The very last game featured has a rask goal where he takes the puck strong right up the gut of the ice. It's our first highlight, right after the other teams first goal. He isn't blowing your hair back, but he hardly looks like a guy who struggles to keep up. Watch the the last month or so, he played center to terry and boychuk on the first line and is in a bunch of highlights, though it's tedious work I admit due to the low quality video. He isn't first step quick yet, and is a bit gangly but it hardly looks like it's holding him back in games, it just ain't pretty. He's in the right place at the right times often enough, and he gets where he needs to be. He has great hands, vision, passing, and has a surprisingly zippy snapper. He's a legit prospect. I don't think the skating matters nearly as much as just getting pro experience. He should be the go to center in Charlotte this year, and get some time with us. I don't think he'll show up and light it up for us. Like the other levels he needs to figure how to be where he wants to be, and I think he'll be pretty solid. Whoever said vasicek earlier wasn't far off. He's a much better skater with much smoother puck skills than joe though. Joe looked like a foal on skates. RIP, bubba.

Old
07-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I remember a lot of draft guides talking about Rask being one of those guys that really lost focus during his draft season and scouts didn't think a lot of his skating back then but the tones were more muted. I think as he added weight it became a little more pronounced. I didn't really like the move to send him back to the WHL for another season after he played the first 10 games for Charlotte. I thought he needed to be in a professional conditioning program. By the time he got to the WJC his skating was just ....brutal. The worst I had seen it. I was *highly* discouraged by that showing. The points and all that didn't matter to me because it felt like he was playing in slow motion. I mentioned at the time that he was smart enough to get to where the play was going but if he was just a step quicker he'd be there early and have more time to sort it out. Really liked his cycle game in that tournament but the foot speed issue really soured my view of him at that point. Granted it was international ice and that's a challenge at times even for the best skaters, but to see him slow down a line for a Junior team was not a good look.

There was some talk that he was going to get a look from the Hurricanes to start the year with us and I thought that was a little premature. It was good to see him over the year really start to gain some comfort level down there. He started the year pretty strong and seemed to have a lapse in the middle and finished strong. That seems like a typical developmental year for an AHL rookie. Skill carries them to start the year, the doldrums, and then the resurgence once they start to learn the level. I thought his skating looked marginally better than it has at any point I had seen it prior to this season in the times I was able to catch him down there.

This year is going to be really telling about his future obviously. He's going to get all the ice he can handle down there and will be looked upon to put up some tangible results. Not that 39 points is bad for an AHL rookie, it's actually quite strong, but it would be nice to see him in the 50-60 point range this season with an increased role. But more importantly we need to see that skating continue to improve. I'm looking forward to getting to see him in camp this year and hopefully stick around a little longer. I think he was in the first group sent back last season. Take him through the preseason this time or at least let him skate in a few meaningful scrimmages.

Old
07-28-2014, 11:20 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post

Agreed its his strength and his balance that are the best parts of his skating, He has the power to fight through checks, and is very tough to knock off the puck.

He's not a speed demon, but he's not slow and overall is not a bad skater. Could he be quicker? Sure his first step and acceleration could use some work, but there are many aspects of skating and his top end speed (once he gets there) is slightly above average, and his power and balance are both pluses.

Closed Thread