HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Chris Brown signs as per Dreger

Old
03-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Kaizen

vCash: 500
Chris Brown signs as per Dreger

Darren Dreger ‏ @DarrenDreger

Chris Brown, Mich, "Phoenix agrees to terms with '09 2nd rd pick Chris Brown from U of Mich. Brown will forgo senior year and turn pro."

Kaizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:31 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Darren Dreger ‏ @DarrenDreger

Chris Brown, Mich, "Phoenix agrees to terms with '09 2nd rd pick Chris Brown from U of Mich. Brown will forgo senior year and turn pro."
awesome news. this kid may raise some eyebrows and finally signal the end of Taylor Pyatt on this team.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:36 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
awesome news. this kid may raise some eyebrows and finally signal the end of Taylor Pyatt on this team.
I'm thinking Brown is probably at least a year away still, but it should be a fun camp.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:38 PM
moosemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I'm thinking Brown is probably at least a year away still, but it should be a fun camp.
I is excite

moosemeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

I'm looking forward to centers of Miele, Hanzal, Vermette and Gordon. Perhaps Miele on the wing. Lankow's done, IMO.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:20 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
I'm looking forward to centers of Miele, Hanzal, Vermette and Gordon. Perhaps Miele on the wing. Lankow's done, IMO.
Langkow is done but I'd be shocked if Miele is ready to be an everyday center next season. Maybe a wing with sheltered minutes, but definitely not center. This is the position I expect Maloney to address this offseason, but it's also plausible that he'd just bring back Chipchura and focus on shoring up the wing. Either way, they're going into camp with Miele, Shinnimin, Arnold, and Brown fighting for probably one spot.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:24 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Hopefully he's on his way to Portland now.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:44 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

HUH? IDK about this move, we will see I guess

Last edited by PhoPhan: 03-29-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: fixed youtube embed
TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Kaizen

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2206

$780K over $67.5K with $90K signing annual bonus.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:24 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2206

$780K over $67.5K with $90K signing annual bonus.
Just want to point out capgeek is listing the details as unverified still. Signing bonus can't be more than 10% of the allowable NHL salary, so $780k base with $90k signing bonus has to be incorrect.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Just want to point out capgeek is listing the details as unverified still. Signing bonus can't be more than 10% of the allowable NHL salary, so $780k base with $90k signing bonus has to be incorrect.
The last year of the contract is $900K...is it possible they allow the signing bonus to be 10% of the highest year's salary?

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:29 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Does Rihanna come with?

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

how has this guy been for you guys? I was quite interested in him, any idea on his play would be nice. He put up some stellar numbers for sure.

03-30-2012, 05:57 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
The last year of the contract is $900K...is it possible they allow the signing bonus to be 10% of the highest year's salary?
Nah, the 10% limit is enforced on a year to year basis.

Old
03-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
I was gonna quiz you on that but you beat me to it. The bonus is probably 10% of the annual NHL stipend.

Old
03-31-2012, 02:02 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
I was gonna quiz you on that but you beat me to it. The bonus is probably 10% of the annual NHL stipend.
I'm sure capgeek will get it updated with the certified figures soon and I guess we'll find out then. They usually have the actual/certified figures within a couple days of signing from my past experience.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Nah, the 10% limit is enforced on a year to year basis.
Looks like signing bonus can be max of 10% of salary and potential performance bonus.

The "to be verified" caveat appears to have been removed.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Looks like signing bonus can be max of 10% of salary and potential performance bonus.

The "to be verified" caveat appears to have been removed.
It's a max of 10% of salary with one specific class of performance bonus that is included in salary--games played bonus. All other bonuses like Class A bonuses for goals, points, TOI, etc and Class B bonuses for league-wide trophies can't be included when calculating the 10%.

For example Roman Cervenka who just signed with Calgary has a $92.5k performance bonus equal to 10% of his overall $925k NHL salary, even though he has another $2.85m in potential bonus clauses and a $3.775m cap hit.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2245

My guess is either Chris Brown's listed performance bonuses are indeed for Games Played, which would allow the $90k signing bonus, or the signing bonus amount is in error. I sent an email off to the Capgeek guy asking if he could check/confirm if that's accurate.

Old
05-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Kaizen

I didn't think GP bonuses were allowed in ELC's.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:23 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
I didn't think GP bonuses were allowed in ELC's.
They're allowed, but they're counted towards the max base salary limit. So Brown was eligible for a max base salary including GP and signing bonuses of $900k. All the other permitted bonuses let contracts exceed the base salary of $900k in Brown's case.

So a games played bonus is actually a negative for a rookie player. They'd rather have the money in their base NHL salary they're guanteed to get on the NHL roster rather than a GP bonus they might fail to reach even if they stay on the NHL roster most of he season.

On my phone right now, I'll post up the CBA excerpts on it later tonight.

Old
05-05-2012, 08:21 AM
DangleAngle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
I agree with you that Langkow is done. He is the weak link on this team. The Don has upgraded this team each and every years (e.g., Gordon over Belanger, etc.). I think he will do the same this upcoming year with Langkow being the odd man out.

DangleAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:11 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Does Rihanna come with?

I don't follow them on twitter but I expect not lol

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:50 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Here's the info on signing, games played and other bonuses on a entry level contract.

Quote:
CBA 9.3 Entry Level Compensation Limits.
(a) The maximum annual aggregate Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, Signing Bonuses and games played bonuses permitted to be paid to a Group 1 Player shall be as follows:
Draft Year NHL Compensation
2005 US$ 850,000
2006 US$ 850,000
2007 US$ 875,000
2008 US$ 875,000
2009 US$ 900,000
2010 US$ 900,000
2011 US$ 925,000

If the NHLPA exercises its right to extend this Agreement until 2012, the maximum annual aggregate Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, Signing Bonuses and games played bonuses permitted to be paid to a Group 1 Player shall be U.S. $925,000. All amounts are the maximum annual aggregate amounts for each League Year of the Player's first SPC. For example, an 18 year old Player drafted in 2005 and signing an SPC at the age of 19 must sign a three-year SPC, with a maximum compensation of U.S. $850,000 per League Year.
Games played bonuses are allowed, but they are counted against the maximum allowed compensation amount, which for Brown being drafted in 2009 is $900k.

Quote:
(b) The aggregate of all Signing Bonuses attributable to any League Year to be paid to a Group 1 Player may not exceed 10% of the Player's compensation for such League Year. Games played bonuses attributable to a League Year shall be included in compensation for that League Year at their full potential value (i.e., assuming all such bonuses are earned) and shall be treated as Paragraph 1 NHL Salary. A Group 1 Player may not contract for or receive any bonuses whatsoever other than a Signing Bonus, a games played bonus and Exhibit 5 Bonuses.
So out of the three allowed types of bonuses:

a) Signing bonuses - count towards the max NHL Compensation, and cannot be more than 10% of the total amount of actual compensation the player receives under that bucket.

b) Games played bonuses - count towards the max NHL compensation. The CBA does not list a restriction on maximum % of NHL Compensation they could be.

c) Exhibit 5 Performance bonuses are a separate category of bonuses that do not fall under the max NHL Compensation limit, having their own separate limits defined in Exhibit 5. "A" class bonuses can have a total aggregate amount of $850k/year and include performance categories with minimum thresholds for TOI, goals, assists, points, PPG, +/-, All-Rookie team, All-Star game selection, All-Star Game MVP, and blocked shots [dmen]. Goalies have their own categories of minutes played, GAA, save %, wins, shutouts. The "B" class bonuses can have an aggregate amount of $2m/year and include top 5 finishes for the Hart, Richard, Vezina, Norris and Selke trophies or winning the Conn Smythe.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:37 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
My guess is either Chris Brown's listed performance bonuses are indeed for Games Played, which would allow the $90k signing bonus, or the signing bonus amount is in error. I sent an email off to the Capgeek guy asking if he could check/confirm if that's accurate.
Got a reply that the signing bonuses is accurate, and while he didn't have the specific details of Brown's bonus clauses, most to all of them are for games played.