HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

EA or ESPN

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
EA or ESPN

Im gonna be getting one of the hockey games soon. I would like to hear some opinions on which one i should get...EA or ESPN?

Old
11-22-2004, 09:10 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Im gonna be getting one of the hockey games soon. I would like to hear some opinions on which one i should get...EA or ESPN?
ESPN for PS2

EA for CPU

Old
11-22-2004, 09:25 PM
NYRangers

Espn

Old
11-22-2004, 11:10 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Espn

Old
11-22-2004, 11:15 PM
JJ68NYR

ESPN for xbox is pretty sick
if u have xbox live then u can download the updated rosters that would have all the guys who have signed on their rightful team and the guys that havent signed in the free agent pool instead of being put back on last yrs team which is how the game first comes.
Also when they put Ovechkin in with the updated rosters from xbox live, his name wont be listed as Ovechkin it'll be like Alexei Okali or something but you'll notice the initials are obviously AO, he is from Russia, and hes 18-20 forgot wat the list him as. You could always edit the name. On top of that when i did put in Ovechkin, Bill Clement and Gary Thorne were announcing his name fine.
Not sure if Malkin is in the updated rosters as someone else.

Also the updated rosters from xbxo live revamp the rangers a bit. They take Bure away and put him in free agency. Add Nylander. Take Mironov, Hlavac, and Lindros away. They take away alot of the other players who arent supposed to be there. I think they add Richard Scott, Gernander they add, Ulmer, Grenier, MacMillan, Strudwick, marshall, betts i think they had, and weekes

Old
11-23-2004, 01:28 AM
FLYLine24*

EA. but if i was you i would rent both. Some people like ESPN more some people like EA more. Both sides will say the other sux and both will say there game is soo much better. But trust me..rent both.

Old
11-23-2004, 01:33 AM
struckmatch

I'm an ESPN fan, but the game freezes about a season into Franchise mode, and basically, you're stuck. It's a joke, considering ESPN did a marvelous job on the features of Franchise mode.

So, if you want a game that works, EA may be the way to go.

Old
11-23-2004, 06:59 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck you
I'm an ESPN fan, but the game freezes about a season into Franchise mode, and basically, you're stuck. It's a joke, considering ESPN did a marvelous job on the features of Franchise mode.

So, if you want a game that works, EA may be the way to go.
Check around the internet. There are ways to get around the "glitch" in franchise mode where it freezes.

But definitely go with ESPN. It's only $20 and it's a sweet game. I'm #6 in the world on X-Box Live with a record of 184-21. The best hockey game I've ever played hands down.

Old
11-23-2004, 07:33 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I haven't encounteredt that glitch

and I'm in my 3rd season

May not happen on all disks

Old
11-23-2004, 08:14 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

for espn on ps2, i created every roster for the entire 1991-92 season(22 teams worth, 2 expantion teams Ottawa and Tampa with real expanstion rosters and the other 6 teams filled with freeagent from the 1991-92 season like Kent Nilsson) I love playing with the kings with gretzky , sandstrom, coffey, granato, Kurri, ect, ect.

espn is 100x better.

Old
11-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
Check around the internet. There are ways to get around the "glitch" in franchise mode where it freezes.

But definitely go with ESPN. It's only $20 and it's a sweet game. I'm #6 in the world on X-Box Live with a record of 184-21. The best hockey game I've ever played hands down.
Sadly, I was 22-0 when I quit playing online. I ran into the #3 ranked player in the world, and saw that he was more concerned with his record than playing a good, fun hockey game. There's a "cheap goal" in this game that works 75% of the time it's attempted, and there really isn't much someone can do to stop it. Players like this ruin the game for me.

Maybe it's just me, but I try to play with the player's tendencies -- you won't see me make Dale Purinton do a spin move behind the net, but you will see Scott Gomez hang onto the puck a little longer in order to make a pass. That's just the way I like to play.

Old
11-23-2004, 04:03 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
I can't believe people are actually still debating. ESPN by far is the better hockey game. EA Hockey has not been good since 98, and 2005 is just downright sad. ESPN 2k5 is one of the best games I have ever played, not just sport game, but game...

Old
11-23-2004, 04:20 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
Sadly, I was 22-0 when I quit playing online. I ran into the #3 ranked player in the world, and saw that he was more concerned with his record than playing a good, fun hockey game. There's a "cheap goal" in this game that works 75% of the time it's attempted, and there really isn't much someone can do to stop it. Players like this ruin the game for me.

Maybe it's just me, but I try to play with the player's tendencies -- you won't see me make Dale Purinton do a spin move behind the net, but you will see Scott Gomez hang onto the puck a little longer in order to make a pass. That's just the way I like to play.

ESPN is a sick game. Im 2-0-1-0 so far. Dominic Moore has 2 goals in 3 games. Before the last game vs the Thrashers I made a trade. I dealt Tom Poti to the Nashville Predators for LW Scott Hartnell, 2ed and 3rd round pick. I tried to get Mark Bell but that did not happen. It happened the first time around, Poti to Hawks for Bell and 4th, but I deleted it cause I was just testing the game when I first got it and I did not have all the prospects. Anyway back to the game. I was losing 2-0 going into the 3rd with Kari Lehtonen in net for the Thrashers and the Rangers had 39 shots at end of 2 periods to the Thrashers 15 shots. On the PP Lundmark scored on a awesome pass from Alexandre Giroux and Hartnell also had an assist, then Prucha scored from Rachunek and Lampman on 5 on 5 action. Then with less than a minute to go boom, Heatley scored shorthanded to make it 3-2, then with 25 seconds left, Wiseman hit the post, then shorthanded on a breakaway Prucha scored to tie it, and in OT, Ortmeyer shorthanded hit both post, then with 10 seconds left, Ronald Petrovicky hit the left post, then the puck hit the goalie but Blackburn made a great save and the game ended in a tie. I also had a few fights in the game. Giroux and Lessard got into it at late 3rd, then Poti and Savard, Savard got 5, and Poti got 0 pim cause he did not even get to throw a punch cause Savard threw 2 punches and Poti was down. Lampman and Aubin also got 5 each for fighting about 10 seconds later. Anyway its a great game, I hope u get the right game.

Last edited by BDubinskyNYR17*: 11-23-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Old
11-23-2004, 04:23 PM
patnyrnyg

ESPN.

My only gripe is the historical teams have the teams opening day rosters. So the 94 Rangers have Amonte but not Noonan or Matteau. I was told you can download the corrected rosters, but I have made modifications to my XBox and would get kicked off XBox live the moment I try to register.

Old
11-23-2004, 07:11 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
EA, with out a doubt.

Old
11-23-2004, 07:14 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
I'm #6 in the world on X-Box Live with a record of 184-21. The best hockey game I've ever played hands down.
Have alot of free time on your hands I would assume?

Old
11-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Edge

ESPN hands down.

At this point, the nostalgia factor has worn off for EA sports.

Old
11-24-2004, 07:04 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
Have alot of free time on your hands I would assume?
No, not really. I work two jobs. I play like 4 games a night before I hit the sack. The XBox is in my room so it's really not that difficult to get a few games in late at night.

The last time the stats were reset was October 1st, that's like 55 days ago. 4 games a night x 55 days = 200+ games, which is where I'm at.

Old
11-24-2004, 07:07 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie

Yea, I certainly have encountered many of these type of people. They just exploit all the money goals in the game and don't care about playing sim hockey, aka the way the games supposed to be played.

I think I play a pretty clean game. I don't use the money goals too often, unless it's like in the flow of the play. I'll do a wrap-around if the situation calls for it, but I don't base my whole game around it like some people do.

Are you on XBox Live? Whats your gamertag? Let's get a few games in. I'll even play unranked if you like, I just enjoy being able to talk hockey with some good guys.

Old
11-24-2004, 06:50 PM
Edge

The wrap around has been the achilles heel of hockey games for over a decade now. Funny that as much as things change, they stay the same.

Old
11-24-2004, 07:02 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
No, not really. I work two jobs. I play like 4 games a night before I hit the sack. The XBox is in my room so it's really not that difficult to get a few games in late at night.

The last time the stats were reset was October 1st, that's like 55 days ago. 4 games a night x 55 days = 200+ games, which is where I'm at.
ok, sounds good

Closed Thread