HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates that don't break down, moisture resistent

Old
03-24-2012, 02:10 PM
RoninNYR

vCash: 500
Skates that don't break down, moisture resistent

It has been very warm lately and I skated a week ago and hung up my skates to dry. Took them out of the bag to play one week later and they were soaked.

I got these Bauer x4.0's about a year ago and they feel like they are already broken down. I am a very good skater that puts a lot of power down and gets very low pulling some serious g's in turns.

I realize the 4.0 might have been too low quality for me.

What is a good high end skate that is:

1. Moisture resistent, I sweat a lot and I cant be re-lacing my skates all the time. It feels like the boot got soft on me.

2. Will last me more than one year. I play up to 3 times in one week and need something that will last for a couple of years with my skating style and sweating lol.

Bauer's fit my feet the best when I was trying them on, will the higher end X.0 series work for me? I was also considering Graf's, but i would like to stay away from reebok; had a pair 3-4 years ago and absolutely DESTROYED the boot. Easton; they just seem crappy..

Is custom an option? I have no problem spending good$ as long as it will be worth it

RoninNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:20 PM
bp spec

Try on some Grafs. Try as many as you can, because they're all for different foot types. But if you go with Graf, the low end stuff isn't worth buying. With good quality skates shouldn't go soft. Maybe the x6.0 or x7.0 too, they are stiffer than the x4.0 and you said Bauers fit you well.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:45 PM
r3cc0s

Graf g or 700 series
I've had next to no durability with my rbks and my old bauer xxx

I think old school woven boots that were used for the old bauer 3000/5000 customs, tacks 852+, were also as durable as the graf 700s

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:53 AM
AIREAYE

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1099867

I hope you've read my skate guide

Anyhow, while moisture buildup will contribute to the breakdown of a boot, it really shouldn't be your primary concern. Is your foot sweating a lot? Maybe consider a thinner hockey sock?

That being said, everything else you have described sounds like you could definitely benefit from a skate upgrade.

If you realize that fit is #1 when considering new skates and assuming that you fit well into the Vapors, I see no reason to force yourself into other brands who fit differently. Again, assuming you fit well into Vapor, you might as well continue with that line. The quarter package material on the 4.0s are a lower quality nylon weave with a larger thread pattern, allowing for more moisture absorption. Going to something like a 6.0 will feature a tighter tech-mesh nylon and a better hydrophobic liner to wick away moisture.

If you want to spring for custom, understand that the sooner one places an order the better. As summer rolls in, the manufacturers get bogged down with higher-priority pro-level orders and you will likely have to wait a bit to get them in. That being said, you have options to switch the inner liner material in custom boots, as well as add perforations in the outsoles to allow moisture to escape. Obviously you will only be able to customize the top-end guys with an upcharge on regular retail, but a good pair should last you quite a while.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:55 AM
hyster110

put your gear in a closed room with a de-humidifier , works wonders for my gear

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I have a fan blowing at my gear all the time. It's been working great so far in keeping them dry.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:00 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Shock Doctor has the Power Dry which blows heated or non heated ozonated air.

Thinks its about $100 on hockey monkey.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:36 PM
RoninNYR

I do not wear socks, could this be part of the problem? And yes I do sweat a lot.

I air my stuff out with a huge de-humidifier sitting 1/2 a foot away.

I just want a boot that will last A lot of years.. I have to compensate by cutting off circulation by tying them super tight.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Wearing socks is highly recommended when you're wearing skates.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:35 PM
bp spec

Wearing skates without socks is all about personal preference. If you are comfortable (except for the sweating) I don't see a problem with it. You could try a thin pair of hockey socks and see if there's any difference.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd defer to AIR on these matters, but I don't think the strength of the boot depends much on moisture as it's usually a composite material. It sounds like you're either a bigger skater or skate very frequently. My understanding is that a boot is made of materials that flex slightly with use, and like all kinds of plastic, once you flex it enough times it starts to break down and eventually loses strength.

In that case, you'd benefit from going to a higher end skate, which has stiffer materials to resist flexing and breakdown. All skates will eventually wear and become soft, but the higher end skates will last longer.

My shot in the dark about Graf is that they use thicker materials than most other skate manufacturers to achieve stiffness, which causes them to retain that stiffness better but at the expense of added weight. Just a guess, could be wrong, but I typically see Graf skates lasting longer than more modern skates while being heavier.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninNYR View Post
It has been very warm lately and I skated a week ago and hung up my skates to dry. Took them out of the bag to play one week later and they were soaked.
I got these Bauer x4.0's about a year ago and they feel like they are already broken down. I am a very good skater that puts a lot of power down and gets very low pulling some serious g's in turns.

I realize the 4.0 might have been too low quality for me.

What is a good high end skate that is:

1. Moisture resistent, I sweat a lot and I cant be re-lacing my skates all the time. It feels like the boot got soft on me.

2. Will last me more than one year. I play up to 3 times in one week and need something that will last for a couple of years with my skating style and sweating lol.

Bauer's fit my feet the best when I was trying them on, will the higher end X.0 series work for me? I was also considering Graf's, but i would like to stay away from reebok; had a pair 3-4 years ago and absolutely DESTROYED the boot. Easton; they just seem crappy..

Is custom an option? I have no problem spending good$ as long as it will be worth it
Try hanging them up...without the bag...

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:30 PM
RoninNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Try hanging them up...without the bag...

They hang 5 ft in the air directly above a dehumidifier..

Old
03-25-2012, 08:33 PM
ArrogantOwl

Very hard to dehumidify a closed container.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Danglous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Wearing socks is highly recommended when you're wearing skates.
Why?

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:34 PM
AIREAYE

Eh, socks are personal preference for comfort mainly. Some liners don't work well with skin

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
Why?
I've tried both and not wearing socks pretty much froze the front bit of my feet after 30 minutes of skating. It also feels really sticky and nasty after a while.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Danglous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I've tried both and not wearing socks pretty much froze the front bit of my feet after 30 minutes of skating. It also feels really sticky and nasty after a while.
I can vouch for bare feet being better. Your foot sits more snugly in the boot and I think you get a better feel for the ice. My feet never get cold. I dont mind wearing socks though. Its all preference really.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:47 PM
hockeymass

Socks are personal preference, except maybe you should wear them if you sweat so profusely that your skates are still wet a week later...

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
I can vouch for bare feet being better. Your foot sits more snugly in the boot and I think you get a better feel for the ice. My feet never get cold. I dont mind wearing socks though. Its all preference really.
Maybe I should get new feet.

Old
03-26-2012, 07:38 PM
beth

So wait, you hung them up to dry in the bag? You gotta take everything out of the bag so you're not incubating stuff in there and it will actually dry.

I went without socks one time and it was like foot soup in my skates. I felt closer to the ice for about 5 minutes and then I was sliding around in there because of the sweat. Your feet/skates will stay so much drier if you put on the proper socks. I've even convinced my hockey coach of this fact when I bought him some Easton socks to try. He went out and bought a few more pairs after that.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:28 PM
ponder

Yeah, for the moisture part, I don't get it. You say you hung them up, but then "took them out of the bag to play one week later and they were soaked"? Right when you get home you should take all of your gear out of your bag, and hang it all to dry (on a standard clothes drying rack, or on one of those special "hockey trees"), ideally with a fan on it (though the fan is often not necessary). You can't just open your bag but leave the gear in there, it won't dry properly and your gear will get super nasty. If you want to get technical, evaporation requires a flow of air across the wet surface, when your gear is in your bag there will be virtually no air flow and thus virtually no evaporation, even with a dehumidifier nearby.

As for socks/no socks, I'd personally suggest a nice thin pair of skate socks (you should be able to buy them at any hockey shop). Your feet will IMO sweat a lot more without socks, you don't want your feet right up against those liners, it's nice to have a breathable sock around them, I think of it as sitting in a hot car with a nice cotton t-shirt on, vs. sitting in a hot car with no shirt on, your back is gonna get way more sweaty/sticky against the seat without the shirt on. Skates are also known to get WAY more smelly with sock-less skaters. Some people prefer the feel of bare feet in skates, but if sweat is an issue, you're definitely going to be sweatier with bare feet, especially with the sort of stiff felt liner in the X4.0s (or at least I assume that's the liner they have, I'm in X40s and I think they're very similar). You might be able to get away with bare feet a little more with the more breathable liners, but I'd at least give skate socks a try in your current skates.

Simply in terms of stiffness/durability, yes, higher end skates will tend to be stiffer, and to hold up better to punishment over time. If Bauer Vapor skates fit you best, and you can afford them, something like the X7.0 skates (more or less rebranded X60s) would probably be a good choice for you, a very stiff and durable skate.

Last edited by ponder: 03-26-2012 at 08:34 PM.
ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninNYR View Post
I do not wear socks, could this be part of the problem? And yes I do sweat a lot.

I air my stuff out with a huge de-humidifier sitting 1/2 a foot away.

I just want a boot that will last A lot of years.. I have to compensate by cutting off circulation by tying them super tight.
I dont wear socks either and play 2-3 times a week. Like someone else suggested, I use the Shock Doctor power dryer after every skate and I also take out the footbeds. I have had the one100s for a year and a half and they are still in pretty good shape.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:47 PM
RoninNYR

Yes i hung them up, then at the rink i took them out of the bag to put them on.

I assumed no one would think i would hang up a closed bag

I am using a ski boot drier now, but i can already feel the flex in the boot with under one year of use so it's probably too late but i will try some socks, thanks

Old
03-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Skraut

When I bought my Graf skates, the LHS (well, Far Away Hockey Shop) tossed in a spray can of Kiwi shoe waterproofer, and told me to spray the inside and outside of the skates once a month with it.

They said it was something Graf recommended. I don't know if that would work for all skates, just tossing it out in case it helps.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote