HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Correcting Skate Alignment(Pronation/Supination/Excess Ankle roll issues)

Old
05-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Correcting Skate Alignment(Pronation/Supination/Excess Ankle roll issues)

For the past few seasons, I have tried to the best way to correct my left skate issues. To no avail, Players Bench has not offered good suggestions, but the video has finally shown me how to fix my problem.

I have used orthotics in the past(with mixed results).

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:18 AM
AIREAYE

Superfeet didn't work for you?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Superfeet didn't work for you?
Nope. My ankle rolls as I stride, and my inside blade edge trails behind too much.

Old
05-27-2012, 04:37 PM
AIREAYE

Let us know how they work for you.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Wooty

do you have problems while waking? Some genetic problem or just bad habits?

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
do you have problems while waking? Some genetic problem or just bad habits?
I believe it's both genetic and physical. I work on hard concrete floors typically. Years of walking around on them have taken a toll, not to mention driving a manual probably also does not help.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I believe it's both genetic and physical. I work on hard concrete floors typically. Years of walking around on them have taken a toll, not to mention driving a manual probably also does not help.
I am not very clear on what this means but if you have developed bad - I guess the word is form - physical therapy maybe able to help you.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Stickmata

Never heard of or seem shimming only one side of the carrier. I have problems with my right foot and my LHS just moved the blade in a bit. Made a big difference. I had to play around with it a little to get it right, but it's better than it was stock. If you go too inside it's harder to get leverage on your inside edge to get power.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
I am not very clear on what this means but if you have developed bad - I guess the word is form - physical therapy maybe able to help you.
No, it won't help. Once your ankle is turned in, I don't think there is any way to fix it, unless you get some kind of surgery.

It is possible to correct your shoes and skates. I even got $400 custom orthotics and they have done well.

Inline skated 11 miles today and wore them with my skate and my feet are thanking me for it.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Never heard of or seem shimming only one side of the carrier. I have problems with my right foot and my LHS just moved the blade in a bit. Made a big difference. I had to play around with it a little to get it right, but it's better than it was stock. If you go too inside it's harder to get leverage on your inside edge to get power.
I was at a well known running/walking/biking trail today here in Dallas and I saw plenty of pronaters/supinators. I think it's more common than people know of.

At the rink I can also see it. Knowing my issues, it's very easy for me to tell in some skaters.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Wooty

never mind

Last edited by Wooty: 05-28-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old
05-28-2012, 06:40 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
So is it fairly easy and common to have the blade offset?

I did speed skating for a while and needed my blade offset just a tad towards the inside of my left skate, otherwise it was impossible to get an outside edge with the way my foot turns in. I did try orthotics (and I have some for my hockey skates), but I still find that it's very difficult to get the outside edge on the left skate. If its possible to move the blade even 1/8 or 1/4 inch towards the inside, it could make a huge difference for me,

TickleMeYandle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
So is it fairly easy and common to have the blade offset?

I did speed skating for a while and needed my blade offset just a tad towards the inside of my left skate, otherwise it was impossible to get an outside edge with the way my foot turns in. I did try orthotics (and I have some for my hockey skates), but I still find that it's very difficult to get the outside edge on the left skate. If its possible to move the blade even 1/8 or 1/4 inch towards the inside, it could make a huge difference for me,
Very easy. They take off the carrier, slot the holes in it with a drill in the direction it needs to move, slide it over and reattach it. However, 1/4" is way too much and will probably give you problems. A little bit goes a long way. Make sure whoever does it has a blade alignment tool they can put over the blade to make sure they don't twist the blade when they reset the carrier.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote