HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things MSG Network and TV (FiOS, Dish, HD, etc.)

Old
09-22-2010, 02:54 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

vCash: 500
All Things MSG Network and TV (FiOS, Dish, HD, etc.)

Any new news on this front? Will I and thousands of others have to make due with another 65 games in standard def?

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:31 AM
TrueBlueJoe89

Nope there is zero incentive for cablevision to give MSG HD to fios. This is why I will not make the switch.

TrueBlueJoe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJoe89 View Post
Nope there is zero incentive for cablevision to give MSG HD to fios. This is why I will not make the switch.
Other than the court decision saying they can't restrict their HD feeds, that is

Then again it's anyone's guess how long Cablevision will draw it out

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:25 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Could be both parties are at fault.

Maybe Verizon doesnt want to pay the premium becasue the Dolans want $1.36 more per household then other HD feeds.

Or...Could be the Doland figure, the FCC said they had to provide the feed but didnt say they had to charge a reasonable fee and are telling Verizon they want a price that is greatly unreasonable.

Who knows, I have emailed and facebook messaged Verizon many times with NO response. Not even an acknowledgment of the question.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:34 AM
TrueBlueJoe89

Honestly, I must say I am happy with Cablevision's service as well as how they treat customers. I called up and said I was contemplating a switch to Direct TV. They went ahead an upgraded me to the Gold Cable Package and gave me $20 off my bill for the next two years so I would stay with them. That was more then fair on their part and I will continue my service with them.

Also last year, they provided me with NHL Center Ice for free after I had major issues with my cable feed coming into my house. I have found if you are reasonable and friendly with the Cablevision reps they will go above and beyond to satisfy their customers.

TrueBlueJoe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:08 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Jonathan said someone at Verizon told him a February time frame but I'd love to see something published on the subject matter... I just got Verizon a few months ago but not by my own choice...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:15 AM
pwoz

FIOS is 10000000000x better than cablevision or comcast, but Dolan is getting a typical greedy pig an lawyering up to prevent FIOS from getting MSG HD. It's outright CRIMINAL.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:26 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Agreed. Dolan is a total piece of garbage and the only one to blame for this. I wish the FCC would fine him $1 mill/day until he honored the ruling. He has a monopoly and acts like it. The arrogance is astounding.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:46 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Jonathan said someone at Verizon told him a February time frame but I'd love to see something published on the subject matter... I just got Verizon a few months ago but not by my own choice...
I've heard that twice now and twice people have said they have no idea. I call up every so often to see if it's been updated. Frankly, I think everyone should. That way they know we want it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
FIOS is 10000000000x better than cablevision or comcast, but Dolan is getting a typical greedy pig an lawyering up to prevent FIOS from getting MSG HD. It's outright CRIMINAL.
Well, as of now, it IS criminal due to the FCC saying it is, haha.

Quote:
Honestly, I must say I am happy with Cablevision's service as well as how they treat customers. I called up and said I was contemplating a switch to Direct TV. They went ahead an upgraded me to the Gold Cable Package and gave me $20 off my bill for the next two years so I would stay with them. That was more then fair on their part and I will continue my service with them.

Also last year, they provided me with NHL Center Ice for free after I had major issues with my cable feed coming into my house. I have found if you are reasonable and friendly with the Cablevision reps they will go above and beyond to satisfy their customers.
Verizon treats their customers just as good. We have free HBO, Showtime and Cinemax because we threatened to switch to Cablevision and they knocked off $10 from the bill as well.

Verizon has less incentive to offer free **** since they know everyone is switching to them (Cablevision is losing customers by the second).

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:47 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
Could be both parties are at fault.
Nope just Dolan being a ******. We suffer with NHL CenterICE too. Never get Ranger broadcasts in HD. I have to watch the "Other" team's broadcast to get that, which I often do. I HATE DOLAN!!!! The only owner who makes his fans watch their games in standard def. I live outside of MSG market and have no choice but to subscribe to NHL CenterICE to watch Ranger games. Lucky sperm greedy SOB.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Nope just Dolan being a ******. We suffer with NHL CenterICE too. Never get Ranger broadcasts in HD. I have to watch the "Other" team's broadcast to get that, which I often do. I HATE DOLAN!!!! The only owner who makes his fans watch their games in standard def. I live outside of MSG market and have no choice but to subscribe to NHL CenterICE to watch Ranger games. Lucky sperm greedy SOB.
MSG is in HD on Center Ice these days. They worked out an agreement late last season

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:53 AM
SRTtoZ

Quote:

Cablevision does treat their customers good, BUT that doesnt mean their feed doesnt SUCK, its horrible when you see DTV or Fios in HD, its so compressed its not even funny. Plus the fact that their Digital cable boxes stink, you need to reboot them all the time, on demand has its issues and all of that. THAT SAID, I am waiting until Fios gets MSG in HD to make the switch. That is single handedly holding me back...I just dont do SD anymore, espeically since MSG HD is good quality.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
A-hole is the reason I have to watch my team in SD...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:15 PM
heeheemonkee

The SD feed seems worse than standard def to me. It always reminds me of the quality that those old TVs. The ones with only 13 channels on a rotary dial.

heeheemonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:20 PM
CDeck93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
MSG is in HD on Center Ice these days. They worked out an agreement late last season
I actually just ordered NHL Center Ice through Verizon FIOS to watch Ranger games since I have recently moved out of the MSG market.

Does anyone know how many games FIOS offers in HD for Center Ice? My current guide says there were only be two HD broadcasts a night.

CDeck93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:48 PM
hockeygoon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeck93 View Post
I actually just ordered NHL Center Ice through Verizon FIOS to watch Ranger games since I have recently moved out of the MSG market.

Does anyone know how many games FIOS offers in HD for Center Ice? My current guide says there were only be two HD broadcasts a night.
NHL CI shares channels with MLB Extra Innings. They currently have 1474 as their HD channel and 1475 through 1489(?) as the SD feeds. If all stays the same, you'll get one HD CI channel that can broadcast a game at 7 and 10.

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:57 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Standard Definition Rangers from a company looking to control the internet makes it 100000000x better?

yeah no

and for you geniuses that can't understand why Dolan won't put MSGHD on Fios, imagine you had a company, would you want to make your main competition MORE desirable? Probably not....

They already have the revenue for SD MSG, so to give them MSGHD is purely a luxury.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:01 PM
pwoz

But doesn't the law state that if you offer a channel in SD to Company ABC, you have to offer in HD as well? All other channels do that on FIOS.

Also, I live in central NJ, and Comcast blows. FIOS is 1000000000000x better.

Old
09-22-2010, 02:51 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Is there a way to stream the HD feed?

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
But doesn't the law state that if you offer a channel in SD to Company ABC, you have to offer in HD as well? All other channels do that on FIOS.

Also, I live in central NJ, and Comcast blows. FIOS is 1000000000000x better.
Yeah Comcast is the suck....

I've love to call Verizon and complain about the MSG feed not being HD but I don't feel it does any good to complain to entry level Customer Service people... If we could voice our opinions to a Senior Manager/Director/ or VP, that would be different...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:54 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
I really hate posting in these threads for a number of reasons that I can't get into, but I see everyone getting worked up as well as putting out incorrect information so I just want to chime in briefly.

1) The chance of Verizon carrying MSGHD anytime soon is very slim.

2) For everyone stating that cablevision is breaking the law, you are wrong.
The FCC ruling merely closed a loophole allowing terrestrial based content providers complete control of programming sales. This was later upheld by a federal court. This is not the last of the litigation process though. Cablevision was not ordered to do anything directly.

3) The ruling allows for providers like verizon to file a complaint based on competitive advantage if a local provider like cablevision will not provide a specific service, such as MSG HD. Once that complaint is filed, I'd expect a litigation process in which cablevision is going to demand verizon prove they are at a competitive disadvantage due to the lack of MSG HD, not as easy as it sounds.

4) Cablevision may be fighting this battle through to the end in order to turn around and claim competitive disadvantage against Direct TV, the sole provider of NFL sunday ticket, and probably the biggest sports prize out there.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
I really hate posting in these threads for a number of reasons that I can't get into, but I see everyone getting worked up as well as putting out incorrect information so I just want to chime in briefly.

4) Cablevision may be fighting this battle through to the end in order to turn around and claim competitive disadvantage against Direct TV, the sole provider of NFL sunday ticket, and probably the biggest sports prize out there.
This is the biggest 'incorrect information' of them all. Dolan implies that DirecTV is withholding NFL Sunday Ticket from Cablevision, when it is the NFL who decides who will carry their product.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 05:05 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Standard Definition Rangers from a company looking to control the internet makes it 100000000x better?

yeah no

and for you geniuses that can't understand why Dolan won't put MSGHD on Fios, imagine you had a company, would you want to make your main competition MORE desirable? Probably not....

They already have the revenue for SD MSG, so to give them MSGHD is purely a luxury.
Hey genius. I dont have Cablevision in my area. I have Time Warner, and they suck. They are a Cablevision competitor too, sort of, since the cable companies callude to not intrude on each others turf.

So yeah, he's a greedy sumbucket, and besides you view of the situation, THE FCC RULED IN VERIZONS FAVOR, HE IS SUPPOSED TO PROVIDE THE FEED.

So your point is?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 06:01 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
don't blame dolan for not giving it up. the second he does me and thousands of others will be switching to fios once and for all.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 06:19 PM
pwoz

F Dolan. Ticket prices were half of what they are today before the lockout, and the damn payroll was $80m or so.