HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

King and Nolan have effectively filled the void left by Simmonds

Old
03-29-2012, 06:48 PM
triplcrown

vCash: 500
King and Nolan have effectively filled the void left by Simmonds

Earlier this season I felt we were really missing Simmonds and the sparkplug & high-energy
aspects of his contributions.

Now it seems that the 2 newest guys---KING & NOLAN, have replaced that energy, physicality, and most of the
offense (the 2 of them score almost as much as Simmonds did by himself for us), and grit.

Neither guy brings speed, but Carter brings that up front, so it's not been a problem.

I don't sense that "hole" in the line-up I often felt was there before King and Nolan joined the team.

But I now can say sincerely that I no longer miss, or long for, Simmonds being a King, any longer.

King and Nolan have been just the ticket.

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
10/10
Plus a golf clap

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:10 PM
drbob

all academic anyway:

"be the water" and don't worry about "what if's"

cuz Simmonds is gone and that ain't changing anytime soon,

as far as King and Nolan, I like the way they've played in their respective roles,

and Lewis has improved in the past several weeks, making his draft looking not so bad now...

drbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:44 PM
johnjm22

Way too earlier to say that. Simmonds was one of our top even strength producers.

I think Nolan has some significant offensive upside though.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:30 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

I like your optimism, but Simmonds is a ****ing bad ass and is the whole package. Also, Schenn just scored his 10th and 11th goals of the season. 5 more goals and he'll match Mike Richards total for the season.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
They have filled it in a way, but 1 person filling the role > 2

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:55 PM
bobafettish*

would have been nice to get them in the lineup earlier. instead we had so many games of moreau and hunter.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:13 PM
KingNick07

I want Schenn and Simmonds back.

KingNick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:20 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick07 View Post
I want Schenn and Simmonds back.
Eh, I'd only want Simmonds back.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

3 people to do one guys job. Hmm...

03-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Good day to start a thread. Simmonds and Schenn with 4 goals tonight (2 each).

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
It was against a crappy Toronto team whose goalie was making his NHL debut because the starter got hurt in warm ups.
I wouldn't put much Creedence in to it. Down on the Corner maybe...but not Born on the Bayou.

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
It was against a crappy Toronto team whose goalie was making his NHL debut because the starter got hurt in warm ups.
I wouldn't put much Creedence in to it. Down on the Corner maybe...but not Born on the Bayou.
Kings would have been shutout.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:59 PM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

Yes, their 36th combined. Simmonds 25 would lead the Kings and Schenns 11 would be 5th and in only 49 games played. But I'm sure the replies will be pouring in.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:09 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

No they don't, sorry. I like both, both even combined, they aren't SImmonds. Especially after such a short amount of time.

Long term they could be, especially Nolan, but overall they aren't Simmonds yet. Not to mention the fact that they aren't replacing Simmonds, but more like Simmonds plus another player since they are eating up two roster spots.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
Yes, their 36th combined. Simmonds 25 would lead the Kings and Schenns 11 would be 5th and in only 49 games played. But I'm sure the replies will be pouring in.
There is no way they put up those numbers playing in the Kings' system this season.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:57 AM
ean

Philly has Simmonds playing Ryan Smyth in front of the net on the powerplay. He has scored 14 of his points (9 goals) on the PP. At even strength he's not blowing anyone away.

Offensive production aside, of course we miss Simmonds. He was a good player and a good teammate, but it's what we gave up to get Richards.

None of us will know the full affects of trading Schenn for another few years.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:24 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Oh sweet, this argument again!

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:26 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Simmonds was a great two way, physical player. King and Nolan are two good physical players. They have a way to go to meet Simmonds defensively.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:30 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
There is no way they put up those numbers playing in the Kings' system this season.

No one said they would. I know this a shocking idea but maybe they should think about changing the system. Maybe the players you draft would actually produce instead of having to trade them for high priced talent that will also struggle in the system.

Look at the teams at the top of the standings. They are good offensively and defensively. It is possible to do both. I'm not saying it's easy but this team has the talent to be good enough offensively and still keep the goals against low.There is a happy medium between Marc Crawford or Gabby Boudreau and this.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
No one said they would. I know this a shocking idea but maybe they should think about changing the system. Maybe the players you draft would actually produce instead of having to trade them for high priced talent that will also struggle in the system.

Look at the teams at the top of the standings. They are good offensively and defensively. It is possible to do both. I'm not saying it's easy but this team has the talent to be good enough offensively and still keep the goals against low.There is a happy medium between Marc Crawford or Gabby Boudreau and this.
Trust me, you're preaching to the choir here.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:15 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
You mean players like Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, Drew Doughty, Vyacheslav Voynov, Kyle Clifford, Dwight King, Alec Martinez, Trevor Lewis, Jordan Nolan, Jonathan Quick and Jonathan Bernier?

That's over half of our roster most nights now, and Loktionov is knocking at the door. I don't know what you expect for drafted players, but when half your line up is homegrown, you're doing well.

Trading for talent is normal. Boston last year during their cup win had five players they drafted play regularly in the playoffs - six if you count Adam McQuaid who was drafted by Columbus but was traded to Boston before he went pro. The Kings are actually ahead of the curve in terms of building from within. Not all players are core guys- Lewis for example comes to mind- but when over half your line up has been drafted and developed from within directly, there's nothing to complain about.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Perro

I got into a debate last summer at a wedding with a flyers fan about the trade. I said he won, and he said the kings did.
I wonder how he feels now. I feel the same. I really like Richards but I was such a huge Simmonds fan, and I was very excited about the potential of Schenn.
Schenn has produced very well based on the fact he has missed a fair bit fo time to injury has he not?

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Kingurentai

I lol at the short memories here. First, the trade itself. Richards before his concussion was by far the best player on this team early in the season. He's slowly starting to get his stride back. Don't even talk to me about it until you yourself have had a serious concussion.

That alone is reason to give a up a solid player in Simmonds (you have to give to get).

Then, yes, I agree with the OP. We replaced that grit with King and Nolan. Are they as good as Simmonds individually? I don't know but it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is the team ended up with grit and overall skills. And overall roles filled on the team. Doesn't matter who or how many it takes.

Simmer was my favorite player. But players get traded. It was a good trade for both teams. Deal with it.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Simmonds was a great two way, physical player. King and Nolan are two good physical players. They have a way to go to meet Simmonds defensively.
I respectfully disagree.

Never been impressed with Simmonds defensive play. Many times I have seen a player score a goal while Simmonds was in no man's land.

I dont say you think like this but some think a player is a great two-way player just because they backcheck.

I would say...I dont see the offensive upside with both King and Nolan like I saw with Simmonds.

I also have to admit that I'm starting to worry about the Richards trade. You dont pay +$5M for 10 years, just because somebody can play defense. I expect a lot more from him. Yeah he was great in the beginning but that has been a quarter of the season.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote