HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Albany Devils & ECHL affiliates Thread Part 1

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-09-2012, 12:04 PM
  #651
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I seriously doubt Frazee won't have one of the spots, as much as that would also be my preference.
Yeah this is exactly what I'm thinking. Not something I back, but just something I feel will happen. I kinda want Frazee to GTFO to be honest. He's an RFA next year. He won't be eligible to be UFA for 2 years. I think he might hold back Wedgewood.

At this point I wouldn't tend him a qualifying offer(We know that's not gonna happen) next year. Or trade him away in a package with a bunch of crap like we did with Fraser, and Pelley. It might even be better for him.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:26 PM
  #652
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays
 
njdevilsjds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yeah this is exactly what I'm thinking. Not something I back, but just something I feel will happen. I kinda want Frazee to GTFO to be honest. He's an RFA next year. He won't be eligible to be UFA for 2 years. I think he might hold back Wedgewood.

At this point I wouldn't tend him a qualifying offer(We know that's not gonna happen) next year. Or trade him away in a package with a bunch of crap like we did with Fraser, and Pelley. It might even be better for him.
I want Frazee out of here, idc how just do it. At this point Wedgewood and Kinkaid are the best goalies in Albany.

njdevilsjds is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:34 PM
  #653
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsjds View Post
I want Frazee out of here, idc how just do it. At this point Wedgewood and Kinkaid are the best goalies in Albany.
Fat chance though. Lou almost never refuses to qualify an RFA, especially one who's been in the organization since drafted.

I think hoping for a trade is the best thing to take him out of the equation up there. Frazee has absolutely no chance of being the goaltender of the future here. Even if he has a Clemmensen type run like he had when Marty was injured, the guy will be late 20s when Marty is gone. Frazee in Albany for 2 more years holds Wedge down.

Just see if maybe we can package him in a Tarasenko deal! We have no more spare crap deadwood since Fraser, and Pelley were dealt. If Wedge has to wait for Frazee to hit UFA then we're for sure talking about a stop gap goalie for a few years before Wedgewood gets a chance.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:38 PM
  #654
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays
 
njdevilsjds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Fat chance though. Lou almost never refuses to qualify an RFA, especially one who's been in the organization since drafted.

I think hoping for a trade is the best thing to take him out of the equation up there. Frazee has absolutely no chance of being the goaltender of the future here. Even if he has a Clemmensen type run like he had when Marty was injured, the guy will be late 20s when Marty is gone. Frazee in Albany for 2 more years holds Wedge down.

Just see if maybe we can package him in a Tarasenko deal! We have no more spare crap deadwood since Fraser, and Pelley were dealt. If Wedge has to wait for Frazee to hit UFA then we're for sure talking about a stop gap goalie for a few years before Wedgewood gets a chance.
Maybe they would take Frazee i mean they did sign McKenna haha.

njdevilsjds is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:43 PM
  #655
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,558
vCash: 500
Just to play advocate, how do we know Wedgewood is going to lockdown the future and Frazee is definitely not? Their pro records or HF public opinion?

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:45 PM
  #656
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Just to play advocate, how do we know Wedgewood is going to lockdown the future and Frazee is definitely not? Their pro records or HF public opinion?
We don't know Wedgewood definitely will, but you seriously think Frazee will? Frazee isn't even good enough to be an NHL backup right now, and he's 25 years old, and played in our organization for 4 years.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:54 PM
  #657
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,532
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
We don't know Wedgewood definitely will, but you seriously think Frazee will? Frazee isn't even good enough to be an NHL backup right now, and he's 25 years old, and played in our organization for 4 years.
Goalies are pretty random and progress at different paces. Granted, the prospects for Frazee don't look great.

There's nothing wrong with Wedgewood getting starts in the ECHL. Plenty of goalies have used this career path and succeeded. If he's the real deal, he'll play well and eventually supplant Frazee.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:55 PM
  #658
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 6,067
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
We don't know Wedgewood definitely will, but you seriously think Frazee will? Frazee isn't even good enough to be an NHL backup right now, and he's 25 years old, and played in our organization for 4 years.
Kinkaid didn't manage to outplay Frazee last year, and Wedgewood has yet to play a professional game. No one should be certain of anything regarding our goalies right now.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 01:07 PM
  #659
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Kinkaid didn't manage to outplay Frazee last year, and Wedgewood has yet to play a professional game. No one should be certain of anything regarding our goalies right now.
You're right Wedgewood hasn't played a professional game yet, and that's why I won't say he's a lock for future goalie by any means. I really don't think Frazee is though.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 01:07 PM
  #660
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Goalies are pretty random and progress at different paces. Granted, the prospects for Frazee don't look great.

There's nothing wrong with Wedgewood getting starts in the ECHL. Plenty of goalies have used this career path and succeeded. If he's the real deal, he'll play well and eventually supplant Frazee.
Jonathan Quick included.

And agreed, if he`s good enough, he`ll outplay him for the spot.

Getzo5 is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 01:46 PM
  #661
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,309
vCash: 500
I just can't see Frazee being demoted to the ECHL. I think Kinkaid is safe too.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 06:24 PM
  #662
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Lou did say the decisions on who gets which goalie spots would be entirely merit based, not based on previous standing. But who knows how true that is.

Saugus is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 07:01 PM
  #663
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Lou did say the decisions on who gets which goalie spots would be entirely merit based, not based on previous standing. But who knows how true that is.
We all know that is one big load of ********.

The loyalty that Lou has can sometimes bite him in the ass.

Zippy316 is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 09:09 PM
  #664
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
We all know that is one big load of ********.

The loyalty that Lou has can sometimes bite him in the ass.
Why would he have any loyalty to Frazee? Frazee isn't a Cup winning Devil, in fact he hasn't even played in an NHL game. There is quite a huge difference between keeping guys like Pandolfo and White around for an extra couple years past what he should have, and gifting an AHL spot to a goalie who might not deserve it.

I don't think Lou is being deceptive here, seniority really doesn't matter in the decision.

Saugus is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 11:39 PM
  #665
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,309
vCash: 500
I don't think he's particularly high on Frazee. Marty started 77 games in 09/10. Frazee could have backed up Marty that year instead of Danis, but I guess they wanted him to get quality time starting up there in Lowell. Lou obviously didn't feel he was ready or we wouldn't have signed Hedberg for 2 more years. Unless he had the same worry I did which could be true. Marty has went down with injuries the last 2 years, and if he's gonna be out we need a proven goaltender to step in. Hedberg was the best backup last year in the league besides Brian Elliott, and Cory Schneider.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 11:45 PM
  #666
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 6,067
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Graham Black with a goal and +2 today.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 07:06 AM
  #667
Jack Griffin
Registered User
 
Jack Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 826
vCash: 500
Gelinas and Kelly Zajac out indefinitely. Kind of figured Zajac was injured considering he didn't play in any preseason games.

Jack Griffin is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 07:44 AM
  #668
JWomp
Registered User
 
JWomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
There is no way that Wedgewood is going to start the year in the AHL. He'll probably get some AHL games this year (injuries or late season call-up), but Kinkaid and Frazee will be Albany's goalies this year.

Is Wedgewood a good prospect? Yeah, but I don't know why so many Devils fans are treating him like the second-coming. He has yet to play a professional game, and he had a major meltdown in the biggest game of his career (allowing 4 goals on 13 shots and being pulled against Russia in the World Juniors).

Remember Ari Ahonen? First round pick, and look how well that worked out. For all we know, Wedgewood could be the next Ahonen.

On the under hand, Frazee is a solid (not great, but good enough) goaltender with a number of professional seasons under his belt to prove it, and people still give him crap that he doesn't deserve. He outplayed Kinkaid last year in Albany...there's no way he will be in the ECHL this year. True, he's getting a bit "old" in terms of being an up-and-coming prospect, but it's not his fault that Brodeur has had the NJ locked down for so long.

JWomp is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 08:13 AM
  #669
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,558
vCash: 500
Easily explained and it happens all over board, it's called hockey futures.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 08:38 AM
  #670
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWomp View Post
Is Wedgewood a good prospect? Yeah, but I don't know why so many Devils fans are treating him like the second-coming. He has yet to play a professional game, and he had a major meltdown in the biggest game of his career (allowing 4 goals on 13 shots and being pulled against Russia in the World Juniors).

Remember Ari Ahonen? First round pick, and look how well that worked out. For all we know, Wedgewood could be the next Ahonen.
I watched that game. Three of those goals were tipped past him by his own defencemen, Ryan Murray in particular had an awful game with multiple own goals. He also got plowed into by a defenceman who was trying to clear the crease. It wasn't a good showing, but the stats don't tell the story there.

Ahonen busted primarily because he was stuck behind Marty and couldn't get a chance to win the NHL starting job. Frazee has been in the same situation his entire professional career. Wedgewood isn't going to have the same problem, because Marty will likely be retired by the time he's ready to take over.

Saugus is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 09:10 AM
  #671
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk
 
Darius Dangleaitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 20,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Just to play advocate, how do we know Wedgewood is going to lockdown the future and Frazee is definitely not? Their pro records or HF public opinion?
That's the point: they need to see what Wedgewood can do in order to know if he can be the team's future in net. Frankly, I'd rather have him facing AHL competition than Frazee, who's done little to show he's more than average at this level (aside from one good year three seasons ago).

This isn't even about AHL vs. ECHL. The Stanley Cup-winning goalie this year played in the ECHL. But I don't think it's justifiable to have, essentially, a minor league stop gap in front of the organization's best goaltending prospect. There's a reason we're talking about sending Frazee down and not Kinkaid. Lou has pointed out that it would be easy to put together a Calder Cup-winning team every season, but the Devils consider the ultimate goal of their AHL affiliate to develop young players.

But when it boils down, the team will do what they feel is best for Wedgewood.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 09:27 AM
  #672
JWomp
Registered User
 
JWomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Ahonen busted primarily because he was stuck behind Marty and couldn't get a chance to win the NHL starting job. Frazee has been in the same situation his entire professional career. Wedgewood isn't going to have the same problem, because Marty will likely be retired by the time he's ready to take over.
So what makes Wedgewood better than Frazee? Simply the fact he won't be "stuck" behind Marty? I don't buy it. Frazee was a second-round pick, Wedgewood was a third-round pick. They're comparable players. Just because Frazee is 25 and Wedgewood is 20 doesn't make Wedgewood the better goalie. It gives Wedgewood more of an opportunity because he won't be waiting on Brodeur to retire for as long as Frazee...but for all we know, Wedgewood could put up terrible numbers as a pro.

I mean, Hedberg didn't get his break in the NHL until he was almost 30. It's too early to write off Frazee. I'm not saying he's going to be our future NHL goalie, but it's not entirely out of the question.

JWomp is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 09:35 AM
  #673
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conte's Critic
Country: United States
Posts: 17,350
vCash: 500
What's wrong with Gelinas?

Devils Dominion is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 09:49 AM
  #674
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk
 
Darius Dangleaitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 20,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWomp View Post
So what makes Wedgewood better than Frazee? Simply the fact he won't be "stuck" behind Marty? I don't buy it. Frazee was a second-round pick, Wedgewood was a third-round pick. They're comparable players. Just because Frazee is 25 and Wedgewood is 20 doesn't make Wedgewood the better goalie. It gives Wedgewood more of an opportunity because he won't be waiting on Brodeur to retire for as long as Frazee...but for all we know, Wedgewood could put up terrible numbers as a pro.

I mean, Hedberg didn't get his break in the NHL until he was almost 30. It's too early to write off Frazee. I'm not saying he's going to be our future NHL goalie, but it's not entirely out of the question.
You're right. But having said that, I'd rather see what Wedgewood's got than see more of Frazee.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 09:50 AM
  #675
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk
 
Darius Dangleaitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 20,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
What's wrong with Gelinas?
Took a puck to the mouth in Saturday's game.

Doesn't sound like the type of injury that leaves you "out indefinitely", but who knows.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.