HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-13 Albany Devils & ECHL affiliates Thread Part 1

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2012, 10:06 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

vCash: 500
Frazee sucks and Wedgewood is good.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Jack Griffin

Updates on the injured players:

@TGfireandice
Albany C Kelly Zajac had minor procedure to follow up on abdominal surgery he had this summer. Will be out 4-6 weeks.

@TGfireandice
Albany GM Chris Lamoriello said Gelinas had a fracture to his jaw and underwent a "minor procedure" to align and brace his teeth.

@TGfireandice
Gelinas did not lose any teeth -yet. Jaw alignment was fine. But it will be at least 2 weeks before he practices.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:47 PM
CerebralGenesis

whew. 2 weeks isn't too bad.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Ari Ahonen probably could have been an NHL goalie on any other team. He never got his chance with the Devils, but he's been playing well in Europe since he left Albany. He went 13-4-0 with .934% and 1.94 GAA with Mettalurg Magnitogorsk last year.

Old
10-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Ari Ahonen probably could have been an NHL goalie on any other team. He never got his chance with the Devils, but he's been playing well in Europe since he left Albany. He went 13-4-0 with .934% and 1.94 GAA with Mettalurg Magnitogorsk last year.
Yeah that's probably it. He could have been an NHL goalie somewhere else, and I feel bad for him cause we probably could have traded him after locking up Marty in 06. It would have given him a chance to play elsewhere. I think the only time he saw NHL ice was dressed on the bench as Clemmy's backup when Marty was injured briefly early in the 05/06 season.

We probably drafted him in the first round in case Marty left early last decade. He was the backup plan if we couldn't keep Marty, and we signed Marty to extensions in like 02, and the one right after the last lockout.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWomp View Post
Is Wedgewood a good prospect? Yeah, but I don't know why so many Devils fans are treating him like the second-coming. He has yet to play a professional game, and he had a major meltdown in the biggest game of his career (allowing 4 goals on 13 shots and being pulled against Russia in the World Juniors).
What goal should Wedgewood of had? One of the 3 that Murray deflected into his own net? Or the breakaway goal? This is some great analysis.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
What goal should Wedgewood of had? One of the 3 that Murray deflected into his own net? Or the breakaway goal? This is some great analysis.
Dead on. If it wasn`t for you, I wouldn`t even notice that post. Holy christ.

That`s like blaming Brodeur for the loss against the US at the Olympics and calling it a meltdown.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
So what makes Wedgewood better than Frazee? Simply the fact he won't be "stuck" behind Marty? I don't buy it. Frazee was a second-round pick, Wedgewood was a third-round pick. They're comparable players. Just because Frazee is 25 and Wedgewood is 20 doesn't make Wedgewood the better goalie. It gives Wedgewood more of an opportunity because he won't be waiting on Brodeur to retire for as long as Frazee...but for all we know, Wedgewood could put up terrible numbers as a pro.

I mean, Hedberg didn't get his break in the NHL until he was almost 30. It's too early to write off Frazee. I'm not saying he's going to be our future NHL goalie, but it's not entirely out of the question.
Where goalies are picked doesn't make much of a difference when teams these days routinely develop starters that were late round picks. By extension, this also means that two goalies picked around the same place in the draft may not actually have similar levels of skill.

Frazee has been languishing in the minors for three years now, and still has given no sign of blowing the doors off in the AHL and forcing management to give him a shot at the NHL, like goalies have done elsewhere. He might still develop into a capable starter, but I think the chances of that are dwindling for him.

By contrast, Wedgewood has a lot more time in front of him, and management might be willing to give him a fair shake and see if he can impress in a way that Frazee never has. It's time to make room for another promising kid to get an opportunity. If Wedge sucks, then simply move Frazee right back up.

Old
10-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I wonder if we still own his rights.

Old
10-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
No way, he was drafted in like 01.

Old
10-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
TG once said we don`t iirc. I think earlier this summer.

It makes sense since he`s already 31 and years removed from our roster.

Old
10-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Frazee is a few bad starts away from having Kinkaid be the #1 anyway. I like Jeff but if he had a future here that time has passed. Time to see what Kinkaid and Wedgewood can become.

Old
10-10-2012, 05:34 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Frazee is a few bad starts away from having Kinkaid be the #1 anyway. I like Jeff but if he had a future here that time has passed. Time to see what Kinkaid and Wedgewood can become.
he can join (soon enough) corrente elsewhere. sorry frazee, but tick tock....time's a tickin.

no?

Old
10-10-2012, 05:43 PM
JWomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Dead on. If it wasn`t for you, I wouldn`t even notice that post. Holy christ.

That`s like blaming Brodeur for the loss against the US at the Olympics and calling it a meltdown.
Were they the easiest shots to stop? No, but the point is, he didn't stop them. It was not his best game.

"The job of the goalie is to stop the puck,” said Wedgewood. “Unfortunately, I didn’t stop enough.” (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...da-russia.html)

Old
10-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils1982 View Post
he can join (soon enough) corrente elsewhere. sorry frazee, but tick tock....time's a tickin.

no?
And Tallackson, and Hale too!

Hey Tallackson scored like 20+ goals last year overseas!

Or Rod Pelley. He's a UFA. Perhaps Frazee is buddies with him?

Old
10-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Were they the easiest shots to stop? No, but the point is, he didn't stop them. It was not his best game.

"The job of the goalie is to stop the puck,” said Wedgewood. “Unfortunately, I didn’t stop enough.” (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...da-russia.html)
Oh man, do you really want to use this? What did you expect him to say?

And yes, if we look strictly at the result w/o taking the consequences into account, you`re right, but that`s that. It would make us look ignorant.

Old
10-10-2012, 05:54 PM
JWomp

Quote:
Oh man, do you really want to use this? What did you expect him to say?

And yes, if we look strictly at the result w/o taking the consequences into account, you`re right, but that`s that. It would make us look ignorant.
Whatever, I'm not going to argue about it. All I was trying to say is that I believe Wedgewood is way over-hyped among Devils fans.

Only time will tell.

Old
10-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I kinda feel bad ripping Tallackson. I think he had some heart issues or something that might have screwed his development up in the NHL. He sure was someone people had high hopes for. Not quite as hyped as Bergfors, but pretty hyped.

I believe David Hale was the same. Personal medical problems or something non hockey related. Wasn't he the next Scott Stevens or something?

Old
10-10-2012, 06:18 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I kinda feel bad ripping Tallackson. I think he had some heart issues or something that might have screwed his development up in the NHL. He sure was someone people had high hopes for. Not quite as hyped as Bergfors, but pretty hyped.

I believe David Hale was the same. Personal medical problems or something non hockey related. Wasn't he the next Scott Stevens or something?
i think it was a case of 'acute jannsens syndrome' ....one goal every 5 years is the affliction.

hale first rounder....wow.

Old
10-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I'm glad Hale, and Tallackson are gone. Posts on here, and the TG blog about bringing up Hale, and Tallackson playing with Elias were absurd!

Old
10-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
No way, he was drafted in like 01.
Quote:
TG once said we don`t iirc. I think earlier this summer.

It makes sense since he`s already 31 and years removed from our roster.
Has nothing to do with age or when he was drafted.

The distinguishing factor there is if we gave him a qualifying offer before he jetted. If that's the case, and Ahonen just decided to ship out to Europe, we would own his NHL rights for perpetuity. Kind of like how we still hold Alexander Korlyuk's rights.

But it wouldn't surprise me if Lou decided to release his rights when Ahonen showed the intention of going overseas.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Zippy316

Quote:

The distinguishing factor there is if we gave him a qualifying offer before he jetted. If that's the case, and Ahonen just decided to ship out to Europe, we would own his NHL rights for perpetuity. Kind of like how we still hold Alexander Korlyuk's rights.

But it wouldn't surprise me if Lou decided to release his rights when Ahonen showed the intention of going overseas.
I thought once they become older than 27, then we lose his rights. Kind of like the RFA/UFA age.

Korolyuk was one of the victims of the Yaroslav crash, I think. Can't find anything on him on google. Never mind, he played with Lokomotiv the year prior but changed teams, wow, pretty crazy when you think about it.

Last edited by Zippy316: 10-10-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old
10-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Whatever, I'm not going to argue about it. All I was trying to say is that I believe Wedgewood is way over-hyped among Devils fans.

Only time will tell.
Can`t argue with that, really. We`ll see how he develops. As for the fans, I don`t know that many of them, so I can`t and wouldn`t even want to judge them as a group. That said, who cares what they think. From what I know I don`t think he`s overhyped among knowledgeable die-hards and that`s all that matters to me.

Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up. Well, whatevs, the most important thing is the answer to your question and that`s a no.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Zippy316

On second note,

Devils should try to bring Korolyuk overseas, especially if they still hold his rights. Apparently, from what I read was he looked like he was going to be a great player but he butted heads with Darryl Sutter.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Sutter and Europeans part deux.

Closed Thread