HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue and white disease takes toll on Leafs

Old
03-31-2012, 09:49 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

vCash: 500
Just 5 minutes alone with simmons, it aint much to ask

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:51 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Well, there's some journalistic integrity!

Burke takes shots at the media so they roast him! The journalists should not be including their own agenda in their articles. They are there to relay information to us and report information we care about. The fact they don't like Burke is very low on what I give a **** about! But hey! It's the sun and I guess I'm talking about real journalists!

I would also likely fault us for the current media ****storm! We eat up these negative articles! teh reporters could care less about what they right! They know if they attack the team and Burke we'll rad the article every whichway possible and dissect and discuss it for weeks!

You want accountability for this current environment! Look in teh mirror!
You fail to see that this is the environment that Burke has created when he launched personal attacks against the media members.

These media members who you dislike are also stating real issues, you may not like them, but they are true as Burke is the individual who supplies the material need to launch these attacks.

You said that the Media job is to report information that we care about.....I agree and I care that we have a idiot who is running off his mouth as our GM and president.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
You fail to see that this is the environment that Burke has created when he launched personal attacks against the media members.

These media members who you dislike are also stating real issues, you may not like them, but they are true as Burke is the individual who supplies the material need to launch these attacks.

You said that the Media job is to report information that we care about.....I agree and I care that we have a idiot who is running off his mouth as our GM and president.
Quote:
What I find Ironic in all of this Leaf bashing by reports is that what they are reporting is brought on by the Face of the franchise.....Brian Burke.

It is his words that they are ramming down his throat. His captain ( and not the teams) that they are attacking. Burke attacks the media and what does he expect?

The most Ironic part of your post is that anyone (media) who attacks the Leafs are in your own words "self-important, arrogant twerps"......when this describes Burke to a tee!

How can you say they are not transparent? They Hate Burke for the way he has treated them.....that is obvious to me. You reap what you sow and the Leafs are currently a product of the environment that Burke has created. You anger is misplaced as it should be directed at the creator of this environment.

Tough to argue with you. Not because you're correct. But because the basis of your argument is so unspecific and ambiguous that it is nonsensical. You contend that the media only reports on Burke's 'failings'. Could you have concocted a more massive generalization? I call BS. They spin every nugget they can get their hands on to support their agenda, which is to sensationalize for the sake of luring readers. And Phaneuf is the captain of the team, as selected by Wilson. Not Burke. Thats not Burke's job or decision.

You want to try and argue that the media is transparent?? you're on a very small, lonely island there, friend. They are anything but. Especially the Sun. And if reading newspapers is sort of a new thing for you, the problem with Toronto media goes back much further than the Burke era.

Love the Dr. Phil bit at the end there, telling me what to do about 'my anger' and where to direct it.Keep your day gig if you have one, but only if it is not in any way connected to psychiatry.

Theres no anger here. I see the media for what they are, and the only reason you can't is because of your obsessive hate-on for Burke.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:20 AM
the doctor

This situation was very easy to see coming. Burke had some success bullying the media in Vancouver and he thought he could do the same in Toronto. There's no way that was going to happen, the harder Burke pushed them, the higher the Toronto media escalated the fight. Taking on don cherry was the height of Burke's pugnacity.

Burke can't win this battle in Toronto and he shouldn't even be trying when his team is floundering so much.

the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:

laughably inaccurate. Not a surprise. When they published a humiliating photo of Kadri with a soother in his mouth (transparent, huh?) Burke said the paper was good for people who owned a puppy or a parakeet. He's right. That was inflammatory, and unnecessary. He rightfully backed his player.I haven't bought a paper since, not because I care what Burke says, but because Toronto sports fans are entitled to a higher standard of journalism than poor taste hack jobs like this. Despite a number of offensive rants and attacks on his integrity, Burke has maintained the high road with the media. Goofs like Simmons have attempted to bait him publicly and draw him into a pissing match which would derail Burke's intention for holding a press conference. You'll see it again in the next week or so when the season ending press conference is held. This is all simply a smear campaign initiated by a handful of dirtbags carrying the Howard Berger torch (has he found a job yet?) in order to throw gas on a fire that ultimately serves one purpose:perpetuating their own survival.

You don't see Bobby Mac, Strombo, Lansberg, Kypreos et al launching daily tirades at one person; they have credibility and relevance based on their knowledge of the game, and an actual professional history with it. These other fools have nothing but an agenda to sell a crap paper.

Burke undeniably has an ego, and a big personality, which is why he was an ideal candidate for the job in Toronto. He's also got the track record to back it up, and the group that he has assembled is our assurance that his decisions are sound, based on the input of men who are probably his equals in terms of hockey savvy and knowledge. If you look through the history of the franchise, you will undoubtedly concur that this is the first time in decades where this has been the case. This is not a fragmented group with a number of wanna-be's harbouring personal agendas, all battling for supremacy. This is, for the first time in over 40 years, a unified front, comprised of legitimate hockey experts, as opposed to former players 20 years detached from the game, or condo salesman, or grocery store owners, or lawyers, trying to determine and direct the fate of a franchise.

You can pin it all on one guy all day long, but by your own admission, there are likely serious dressing room issues, and that has perhaps done more to derail the club than anything else. And if you think that just because Burke is the voice of the brain trust he has assembled that he acts with absolute autonomy, you're selling yourself a whole lotta snake oil. But, in spite of the evidence to the contrary, you will no doubt continue to believe what you want to. Thats your right.

Show me where this knee jerk reaction that you are prone to, which is to pin it all on one member of the organization, has ever served the Leafs in the past. When Ballard kicked off, we all thought it was the beginning of a bright new day for our Leafs. How did that pan out? We subsequently burned through and disposed of good hockey men like Burns and Quinn, we hung our heroes like Sundin out to dry, we questioned Clark's heart and toughness, and now we want to crucify the first person to engineer a front office which is not completely dysfunctional, or subject to the whims of a non hockey man tinkering like its a Yahoo Fantasy league, and not the most important franchise in the game, from an economic standpoint.

There have been RADICAL changes made to this club in three years, despite the obvious lack of success in putting a full season together. The development program, the prospects pool, and the quality of talent throughout the system has gone way up. We have assets to build with, and assets to move in order to improve the club. Its not a perfect scenario, but its about digging in as a group, and getting through the adversity as a unit, not flipping the killswitch yet again, in haste. You talk as if Burke waltzed in to a perfect scenario, a fully functional organization stocked with picks and prospects, and a stable ownership/front office, then proceeded to engineer its collapse. He inherited the crumbling remains of a brand that was bankrupt in every way but economically, and he set to work in an effort to restore it. He has worked tirelessly, enduring unthinkable personal tragedy and scrutiny that would cause a lesser man to capitulate.

Time will tell how far Burke gets but for all intents and purposes, he has, for the most part, righted this badly damaged ship. Fortunately he has the stones to ignore the rantings of a few media blow hards, and get on with the task at hand.

These are serious growing pains the franchise is going through.

Last edited by Durkin67: 03-31-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old
03-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
This situation was very easy to see coming. Burke had some success bullying the media in Vancouver and he thought he could do the same in Toronto. There's no way that was going to happen, the harder Burke pushed them, the higher the Toronto media escalated the fight. Taking on don cherry was the height of Burke's pugnacity.

Burke can't win this battle in Toronto and he shouldn't even be trying when his team is floundering so much.
The CBC went on record to say that accusations of Burke attempting to get Mclean and Cherry fired, were completely false. And the inaccuracies regarding Burke's 'prejudice' against Ontarians was quickly dispelled, when we learned that his group leads the league in drafting Ontario talent.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:43 AM
FrozenJagrt

Couldn't agree more. Burke talked a big game about players not being entitled, but then he dishes out huge contracts to fringe players and not ONCE has held a single one of his players accountable for their performance. Burke treats every one of his players with kid gloves and throws a tantrum any time his players are questioned. On the one hand, I admire the man for his loyalty and willingness to take the blame every year. But on the other, the atmosphere around the Leafs now makes me long for the so called "Muskoka Five". Say what you will about them, but every one of those guys acted like a professional. And Mats, McCabe and Tucker in particular played their hearts out every single night.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Burke talked a big game about players not being entitled, but then he dishes out huge contracts to fringe players and not ONCE has held a single one of his players accountable for their performance. Burke treats every one of his players with kid gloves and throws a tantrum any time his players are questioned. On the one hand, I admire the man for his loyalty and willingness to take the blame every year. But on the other, the atmosphere around the Leafs now makes me long for the so called "Muskoka Five". Say what you will about them, but every one of those guys acted like a professional. And Mats, McCabe and Tucker in particular played their hearts out every single night.
Which 'fringe' players have been given huge contracts? do you mean Komisarek? there was a pparently somewhat of a bidding war for him at the time of his signing, and considering Kaberle was afraid of his own shadow after the Janssen incident, the signing made perfect sense. Its was simply bad luck that the shoulder surgery was not fully rehabbed and he rushed in to active duty.
Komisarek is a stay at home shutdown player who didn't fit within Wilson's run and gun game any more than Schenn does.He will no doubt thrive under Carlyle's system. If nothing else, he regains his form and with two years to go, he can be moved for cap space and perhaps a pick or prospect.

If you mean Grabovski, you are mistaken. The dollars might seem high, but given the thin FA market and lack of serviceable centremen available, the deal is the right one. At least he doesn't walk at the end of the season for nothing. And as far as term goes, I'd have preferred a four year deal. But it was a sellers market. The player had the leverage. By locking up the player Burke is not forced to over pay in a trade scenario if negotiations for another centre become strained.

Each scenario has its own merit. The player, at some level, must be accountable and live up to the agreement to the best of his abilities. Grabo will have little trouble doing exactly that, if he stays healthy. Komisarek is coming around. What other 'exorbitant' (my word) contracts have there been?

Old
03-31-2012, 01:26 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

I'd guess that by "fringe players with huge contracts" he means Colby Armstrong at $3M (1g 2 a) and Mike Komisarek $4.5M (numerous healthy scratches) and is probably referring as well to taking on Matthew Lombardi's contract at $3.5M (8g 10a). Those guys are pretty much fringe NHL players now.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:30 PM
HookeyPlayer

Its taken its toll, even Jets fans take pleasure in the losing Leafs, and they'll likely not make the playoffs.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1148437

HookeyPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
I'd guess that by "fringe players with huge contracts" he means Colby Armstrong at $3M (1g 2 a) and Mike Komisarek $4.5M (numerous healthy scratches) and is probably referring as well to taking on Matthew Lombardi's contract at $3.5M (8g 10a). Those guys are pretty much fringe NHL players now.
Good points. Army was a key factor in year one. When healthy, our record with him in was a winning one. Lets hope a rebound season is in store. Lupul was also considered a fringe player once. Maybe a full training camp can make the difference for Lombo. If not, he served his purpose, which was to buy time for kids like Kadri to put it all together. I hope the kid is ready (finally) to steal a roster spot from someone, and that the organization is stable enough that graduating him doesn't equate to a backward step.

Im not gonna cry if Lombo works off his contract at Ricoh. If for no other reason than for the sake of clarity, Burke assumed the Lombo contract in exchange for acquiring the rights of a good young former first rounder; a nice asset to add to the team's depth. In theory, a 6'5" right handed shot on the back end with real playoff experience is a hell of a find, esp. for a pylon like Lebda and a minor leaguer (Slaney).