HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Men amongst boys

Old
03-28-2012, 09:32 PM
slumpy43

vCash: 500
Men amongst boys

Every year we hear of players in juniors that make it seem too easy, almost out of place compared to their peers. I remember a few years back Kulikov being hyped by his coach as being a men amonst boys. Today, read the same thing about Charlie Coyle. Which other prospects would you fit in that category this year?

slumpy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Jarred Tinordi.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Canuck71

Brandon Saad has been a force in the playoffs this year. Cant give him any space because chances are hes going to make something happen.

Id say Dougie Hamilton also fits this category too. Totally dominant player all year.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:53 PM
PhilaFlyers

Etem?

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:56 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Couturier View Post
Etem?
Pretty good one to be honest. I was thinking of someone to post other than Emerson to eliminate bias. But he really does make the opposition look foolish every night.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:36 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 190
Etem.

Like I've said before. The kid is amazing, but the style he plays won't work against grown men. He'll have to adjust his game and learn to play against bigger, stronger competition before making the NHL.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:50 PM
FrozenJagrt

Aaron Ekblad. Born in 96, he's already 6'3, 210 pounds and has a maturity level way beyond his years. Turned 16 last month, but his awareness and calm demeanour on the ice are astounding. He's a great anchor for the Colts and put up very good stats in his first OHL season. He's drawn comparisons to Chris Pronger, and I don't necessarily disagree though he's not quite as nasty. Make no mistake, he uses his size and he will hit people, but I don't think he has the dirty side that Pronger does.

I think he definitely qualifies as a men amongst boys and will probably be the top defender in the OHL by the time his draft year comes along. If you've been living under a rock and haven't heard about him by now, start keeping an eye on him.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:03 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Etem.

Like I've said before. The kid is amazing, but the style he plays won't work against grown men. He'll have to adjust his game and learn to play against bigger, stronger competition before making the NHL.
I find it so strange in the WHL, he can almost score with ease, but at the WJC he was invisible.

I would definately not call him a man among boys, like this thread would suggest...

that comments belongs more to players like Zack kassian, Kyle Clifford as past examples.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:10 PM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Etem.

Would Baertschi qualify? I've seen him quite a few times (and try to catch Winterhawks games when I can) and it seems quite frequently that when he's on the ice, there is a noticable tilt in the direction of play. He's been mentioned a few times as a man playing in a boy's league by his coach and peers (Pickard)...though this could be more diplomatic showing than anything else. My viewing too is that he is, but I'd like to confirm that.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Wronskian

^ Agreed ^
Bartschi's skill level is just insane, Portland has to be considered as a Memorial Cup favorite with him and Rattie at the top of their games.

Wronskian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Kulemon

Landeskog last year.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

Saad just destroying Juniors. Kid is making the team next season.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:45 PM
umwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Aaron Ekblad. Born in 96, he's already 6'3, 210 pounds and has a maturity level way beyond his years. Turned 16 last month, but his awareness and calm demeanour on the ice are astounding. He's a great anchor for the Colts and put up very good stats in his first OHL season. He's drawn comparisons to Chris Pronger, and I don't necessarily disagree though he's not quite as nasty. Make no mistake, he uses his size and he will hit people, but I don't think he has the dirty side that Pronger does.

I think he definitely qualifies as a men amongst boys and will probably be the top defender in the OHL by the time his draft year comes along. If you've been living under a rock and haven't heard about him by now, start keeping an eye on him.
At 16 years old I don't think anybody has much of a nasty streak. He may develop it just yet.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Would Baertschi qualify? I've seen him quite a few times (and try to catch Winterhawks games when I can) and it seems quite frequently that when he's on the ice, there is a noticable tilt in the direction of play. He's been mentioned a few times as a man playing in a boy's league by his coach and peers (Pickard)...though this could be more diplomatic showing than anything else. My viewing too is that he is, but I'd like to confirm that.
Doesn't have that physical dominance. Would be curious to see him play a full out season in WHL as I think he would have done better then 2 ppg average. Between this year and his showing against NHL level competition it's a real shame that he's in the WHL right now, clearly doesn't belong there.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
At 16 years old I don't think anybody has much of a nasty streak. He may develop it just yet.
Im not sure - I could be wrong but I thought Pronger had that quality long before he was drafted, some players just have that chip on their shoulder and when they step on the ice everyone on the other team is an enemy.

Again, could be wrong, and we have seen it develop, but I think its more likely it doesnt develop than it does.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:05 PM
umwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Im not sure - I could be wrong but I thought Pronger had that quality long before he was drafted, some players just have that chip on their shoulder and when they step on the ice everyone on the other team is an enemy.

Again, could be wrong, and we have seen it develop, but I think its more likely it doesnt develop than it does.
I agree with what you're saying but up until now Ekblad has been playing in leagues where fighting gets you suspended. I don't think he ever will be quite as mean, but even Tyler Myers is starting to get a little chippy. When you play the dominant role it often comes naturally as a part of the job.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:12 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
I agree with what you're saying but up until now Ekblad has been playing in leagues where fighting gets you suspended. I don't think he ever will be quite as mean, but even Tyler Myers is starting to get a little chippy. When you play the dominant role it often comes naturally as a part of the job.
Thats true too... I forget they dont allow it when you are younger.

Well, as you say he has lots of time to develop it, if it is there.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Smallz

Just a quick question, didn't want to start a new thread and I saw someone mentioned Ekblad.

Is he also draft eligible next year in the MacKinnon draft or is he only eligible the following year

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Joe Hallenback

Mark Stone

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:21 PM
umwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
Just a quick question, didn't want to start a new thread and I saw someone mentioned Ekblad.

Is he also draft eligible next year in the MacKinnon draft or is he only eligible the following year
Year after MacKinnon if I remember correctly.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:56 PM
HOCKEYGOON

Physically David Broll is a man amongst boys when you watch him out there.

His skills def. need to improve though.

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:19 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I find it so strange in the WHL, he can almost score with ease, but at the WJC he was invisible.

I would definately not call him a man among boys, like this thread would suggest...

that comments belongs more to players like Zack kassian, Kyle Clifford as past examples.
Seems like your basing that claim on the WJC alone. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but Etem only had a few days to try to get used to different teammates, he's been playing with this group (for the most part) for years and is now comfortable.

WJC is a bad example for lots of players who went on to have great careers.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:12 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpy43 View Post
Every year we hear of players in juniors that make it seem too easy, almost out of place compared to their peers. I remember a few years back Kulikov being hyped by his coach as being a men amonst boys. Today, read the same thing about Charlie Coyle. Which other prospects would you fit in that category this year?
Coyle looks like a man amongst boys because he was used to playing against Men (even if you can argue those men weren't at the highest level).

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:19 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Seems like your basing that claim on the WJC alone. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but Etem only had a few days to try to get used to different teammates, he's been playing with this group (for the most part) for years and is now comfortable.

WJC is a bad example for lots of players who went on to have great careers.
So did everyone else...? That's a horrible excuse.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:33 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Mackinnon.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote