HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CTV Interview Revisited

Old
03-30-2012, 02:25 AM
Schennanigans

vCash: 500
Someone should ask Kessel what he thinks of not seeing playoff hockey for the duration of his contract. This is what makes the trade so bad more than anything to me. He could very well see no playoff hockey here.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:25 AM
raikk

Send a message via MSN to raikk
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
No no no no no.

Disgusting journalism.

This is Jerry Springer-esque.

I'm disgusted by that low life piece of crap... Totally unprofessional.
I agree actually, honestly if I was the players I would say something along the lines of your ctv what do you know?

raikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:26 AM
trickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Again, this is not a PGT topic, it came before tonight's loss and shows how toxic the atmosphere is in Toronto against the Leafs right now. With the sarcasm and anger shown at the games, you can sense a real change in the attitude towards this franchise. The way even the generic media is turning on the team, it deserves its own discussion.
Who is this guy? What is his name?

Saying "crap" on a broadcast shows he is trying too hard to get noticed... Trying to make a name for himself..l

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:28 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Schenn is a kid , gus should played in the ahl not in the nhl . Phaneuf came off badly and kessel was a flake.

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:31 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

"Well you have 5 wins in your last 24 games, Dion. I don't know.."

Obviously the Leafs' record is totally related to Dion Phaneuf being captain. God, spare me. What a joke this guy is.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
"Well you have 5 wins in your last 24 games, Dion. I don't know.."

Obviously the Leafs' record is totally related to Dion Phaneuf being captain. God, spare me. What a joke this guy is.
You've got a point.

It's a tough question. But concerns about leadership are justified.

But would it have been so bad if Dion just came out and said "I've not been good enough, full stop"?

What happens if he says that?

He gets the attention, he gets the headlines, he gets some respect from his teammates who now get a bit more leeway from the media who are no longer interested in them, and he gets a bit of respect from the fans as well.

As it is, he's just buried that question into the ground. Buried questions lead to more questions, like "is Dion the right captain for this team"?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:36 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
You've got a point.

But would it have been so bad if Dion just came out and said "I've not been good enough, full stop"?

He gets the attention, he gets the headlines, he gets some respect from his teammates who now get a bit more leeway from the media who are no longer interested in them, and he gets a bit of respect from the fans as well.

As it is, he's just buried that question into the ground. Buried questions lead to more questions, like "is Dion the right captain for this team"?
Fantastic. What does that do on the ice? Because, ultimately, that's all I'm concerned about.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:44 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
You've got a point.

If he was capable of elevating his game, I think he could take the blame and then just bear down and get to work. I don't think he has it in him to do that, so if he just accepted the blame, and continued sucking, that looks even worse on him...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:46 AM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

If I screw up at my job I hear it, and I hear it good. And if I consistently screw up, I get fired. These guys don't really have to worry about that, per say.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:50 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
If I screw up at my job I hear it, and I hear it good. And if I consistently screw up, I get fired. These guys don't really have to worry about that, per say.
The fun part about this analogy is that it's a false equivocation.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:54 AM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
The fun part about this analogy is that it's a false equivocation.
I'm an idiot, I can't believe I had to google equivocation.

And yes, I can see how it is.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:57 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
I'm an idiot, I can't believe I had to google equivocation.

And yes, I can see how it is.
It's also spelled "per se", just to let you know for future reference.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:59 AM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
It's also spelled "per se", just to let you know for future reference.
I caught that one

Old
03-30-2012, 03:04 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
I caught that one
I wasn't trying to be rude, so hopefully it didn't come off as such.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:33 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

I liked parts of the interview but I don't like how he went after Schenn, Gardiner and Kessel.

Schenn is a hard-working guy who is pure class, he has been playing bad but he at least tries every game and is one of the few players who actually stands up for his teammates. He has taken accountability before and has said before that he is sorry for the fans. He's a young player, why is he being brought into the fire to answer these questions?

Jake Gardiner, he has played great and has been one of the only players who has actually looked somewhat good in the Leafs terrible 20+ stretch of games. He has exceeded all expectations this year and is just a rookie. Why the HELL is he being asked those questions?

Kessel? He's not a spotlight/camera guy and he's been the team's best player all year. He set new career highs and played the best hockey of his career. It is far from his fault, sure he shares some of the blame for not scoring much in these recent struggles but he is still the team's MVP by a mile.

Phaneuf I can understand because he is the captain and plays lazy sometimes.

Even Gustavsson, that question was pretty retarded.

Players like Connolly, Armstrong, MacArthur need to be questioned. The so called veterans and leaders on this team. These are the guys that should be put in the hot seat to answer these questions.

It's refreshing to see this approach, but the players who don't contribute much and show no passion are the ones who should be questioned. Management should be questioned. Not young guys like Schenn and Gardiner and the team's MVP.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:44 AM
ocrighton

I really have a hard time feeling bad for the players (aside from Gus, that was just mean) with the way they have been letting me down lately. They were tough questions, but for the most part are questions I would like to ask the players myself. The only ones I would lay off are Gardiner and Kessel, maybe Schenn.

ocrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:03 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
Who is this guy? What is his name?

Saying "crap" on a broadcast shows he is trying too hard to get noticed... Trying to make a name for himself..l
A quick Google search shows that he's been a sports anchor on CTV since 1985. I highly doubt he just woke up one day, after 27 years on the job, and said "I'm going to make a name for myself today."

What I see is a frustrated fan with a media pass, asking the very questions many would be asking.

I do agree, however, that he went at the wrong players. Perhaps they were the only ones made available, but LACK should be the ones who face this criticism, not Jake Gardiner.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:14 AM
30Rinks
Go To A Leafs Game @

This is complete crap - Those were answers MEANT to get no responses. He walked in there knowing exactly what they would say - He was arguing with Schenn to apologize and he wouldn't do it.

These are young kids - almost all of them 25 and under put under the most intense media possible - they ARE embarrassed to be out there, you can see it. This team fell apart - injuries, inexperience, what ever. Should they be held accountable? Yes. Should they be embarrassed with a camera in their face and forced to take this? hell no.

This is just complete bush league.

I know we all say it about star free agents and all that crap, but would ANYONE want to put themselves into this? Not a chance. Kiss Schultz goodbye when he sees this. Kiss Parise goodbye. If I was an agent my player wouldn't even answer toronto's call.

This riles me up as much as them sucking does. The media plays innocent "oh we don't change the game, we don't lose games" - When half our team hangs themselves from the depressive state these questions put them in, and the other half retires to get the hell out of this mess, maybe the media can lace them up.

I encourage everyone to write WELL THOUGHT OUT, RESPECTFUL comments to the CTV newsroom email - news@ctv.ca & lance.brown@ctv.ca - Don't call anyone names or use profanity, but make your voice heard that this type of reporting is not acceptable.

Last edited by 30Rinks: 03-30-2012 at 04:23 AM.
30Rinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:52 AM
YogiCanucks

Call out the coach fair (even though he hasn't been here long), Call out the captain. Fine.

but calling out Gardner, a Rookie.. and even Schenn. Crosses the line IMO. Burke probably doesn't let him anywhere near the team anytime soon.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:04 AM
RyanMac

Send a message via AIM to RyanMac Send a message via MSN to RyanMac
Personally I don't think "hard" journalism belongs in sports. It's just a game. There's nothing achieved trying to embarrass players. That was a "newsy" approach, asking questions as if it were a politician standing there (someone who actually needs to be accountable to the public).

Yes we are all pissed off and yes many of us spend money on the product, but the "hardball" questions just don't belong. These guys play a game -- nothing will be gained by being a dick with a mic.

And the whole pitchfork and mob-like mentality exhibited by a segment of the fan base is just silly. You're ready to lynch a bunch of guys that play a game.

Let management ask players the hard questions behind closed doors -- and you can be damn sure it's happening. I will repeat it again -- embarrassing guys in a news piece is not beneficial to the team, the fans or the city.

03-30-2012, 05:15 AM
30Rinks
Go To A Leafs Game @

You may feel this is over reacting, but here's the "open" letter I wrote to Lance Brown / CTV News. Of course you're entitled to your own opinion, but mine is that this crossed the line.

Quote:
I want to start off by saying that Lance Brown is someone who I've typically enjoyed watching - and CTV has been my "go to" for Toronto news as long as I remember.

I'm what you would call a "die-hard" leafs fan - in fact my girlfriend & I have set out on a journey to see them play in every NHL arena (30rinks.ca - we visited 9 this year, and went 1-8). I've committed thousands and thousands of dollars to this team, & dedicated every vacation for the foreseeable future - so of course, the losing upsets me.

This being said, what Mr. Brown did with his questions to the players was completely inappropriate in my opinion. He didn't seek answers for questions, he worded questions to get the answers he wanted. He completely humiliated these players in front of the entire sports world.

The report was fine (even interesting) until the locker room portion. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way (gauging from responses on Twitter and on message boards).

I personally feel that the questions asked to Dion Phaneuf, Phil Kessel, Jonas Gustavsson, Jake Gardiner and Luke Schenn were out of line. Mr. Brown is asking questions that have no answers - "why did the season fall apart? why?" "What explanation do you give to the fans who paid $450", etc. It's clear that he is looking for the headline quote "Leafs apologize for terrible season". This isn't one players fault - this isn't Dion Phaneuf's fault. This is a group of players who failed down the stretch - they fell apart as a team - wether it be injuries, lack of production, lack of experience, etc, as Dion said, they lost as a team.

The problem is there isn't an answer to these questions. Dion Phaneuf shouldn't be asked to come out and say "I'm terrible, I suck, I shouldn't be the captain". I don't want him to just say he is sorry, and I don't want the media constantly sensationalizing a story. There is accountability, and then there's badgering, and I feel this crosses the line. To make matters worse, you asked Phil Kessel and Jake Gardiner - by far the two best players in the room this year - to explain why the team failed. What is Jake Gardiner supposed to say to that? I'm sorry I didn't lead this team to the stanley cup in my rookie year, while I'm playing top line minutes and learning the game right out of College hockey? Kessel had a career year, top 5 in goals, and made everyone he played with better.

I'm surprised there wasn't a quote from Lupul while he was getting his morning coffee asking him to apologize for getting injured.

These are real people - yes, they're professional hockey players and they should be accountable as a team - they should work hard and fight for every game down to the very last minute. They shouldn't have to be paraded in front of a group of reporters and attacked over and over and over. The media wonders why Phil Kessel doesn't want to talk to them - It's quite obviously because of questions like this.

I live for Leafs news, and yet I'd have zero problem with the team completely shutting the media out right now. I actually hope it happens. There is very little leaf information that I don't hear, read, or see, and I've yet to find a locker room quote that was anything more interesting than a politician on election day.

I think overall I'm just frustrated with the media around this team. From calling Reimer's Mom (not Bell Globe Media, I'm aware) to this, it's too much for me to even watch. I can't imagine what a player would feel like to have to literally sit there and take this badgering on a daily basis.

I'm sorry for ranting on this, I just wish that the media as a whole would consider that the public doesn't want a forced out, humiliated answer to this, we want a team that's hungry and strives to get better. Brian Burke says the media hurts this team, and I have to agree completely - there is no way in hell that I'd come here and play if I was a star NHL player. Criticism is fine, but these just seem too close to personal attacks.

Mat

30Rinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:47 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Very well-written, 30Rinks. You echoed a lot of my comments in the PGT: it seems we're on the same wavelength on this one!

This sort of gotcha journalism has no place in the Leafs room. I understand fans are impatient and frustrated, but turning into a lynch mob and advocating the harassment and embarrassment of the Leafs players is completely unnecessary. (It reminds me of Montreal fans and media, actually. And people wonder why we can never attract the big fish free agents.)

I spoke of fans feeling a lot of entitlement in terms of players being accountable to us. That's obviously borne from this losing skid, but let's not let our emotions cloud our judgment when it comes to properly treating fellow human beings. The players are accountable to each other, the coaching staff and management. Demanding an apology is dehumanizing and really accomplishes nothing. Trust me, the player's are kicking themselves hard over this. So why pile on? Nobody wants an explanation for this more than they do. There simply is no single answer. It's going to take a lot of reflection and soul-searching, but they'll come away from it next year stronger than ever.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:19 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

That was pure garbage.

I know what I say to the fans who paid $450 a ticket to watch them lose. If you don't like it, spend your money elsewhere. The fans have a choice. They can stay home. I have no sympathy that they paid to watch them lose. It's sports. There are no guarantees.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Yosho
Logic

How can people still say that the media "isn't that bad" after watching that garbage?

CTV? Really? Do they even cover sports? Leave this kind of botched journalism to the real morons like Cox and Simmons.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:18 AM
GalacticaActual

30rinks: atta ****ing boy.

The players were asked dumb questions seeking headline-grabbing responses and they didn't bite. Not that the players don't deserve criticism, but you should have a little more tact when confronting a player directly.

GalacticaActual is offline   Reply With Quote