Notices

Winnipeg Jets at Carolina Hurricanes - 30/03/12

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2012, 04:45 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

vCash: 500
i think we should just loose the rest of the games and try and get a lottery pick, who knows we might get 1st overall, draft Yakupov/Murray/Dumba/Reilly, Yakupov and Burmi would get along very well, or we could trade up for the 1st overall, I kind of experienced a city which had the 1st overall pick and it is awesome.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
i think we should just loose the rest of the games and try and get a lottery pick, who knows we might get 1st overall, draft Yakupov/Murray/Dumba/Reilly, Yakupov and Burmi would get along very well, or we could trade up for the 1st overall, I kind of experienced a city which had the 1st overall pick and it is awesome.
Booooo. Sandbagging is for losers.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Wpgpage

Im hoping for hard fought shootout losses, getting a top 5 pick is just to valuable.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:15 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
Booooo. Sandbagging is for losers.
But think of the children and their future!

Sandbagging in January is for losers. Consider this a sacrifice for the future. Though I'll take a win to start my Friday night please.

GO JETS GO!

Old
03-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Any player or coach that quits is as good as gone, in my book. The players have to come to play every game. If that means winning the remaining 5 games and drafting 14th instead of 5th, so be it. Losing breeds losing. I expect to see players like Ladd, Stuart, Bogosian, the leaders on this team have a very solid 5 games down the stretch. These guys gotta step up and show the never say die attitude that this team will need going forward. Players like Glass, Slater (they were arguably our best players last game so good to see), Wellwood, Mason are playing for contracts. Burmistrov, Machacek, Clitsome should be playing for bigger roles next year. Perennial "losers" like Enstrom, Antropov, Little need to show they care. We'll learn alot about the character of some guys from these last 5 games, IMO.

Now if the GM decides to bring some young guys like Kulda, Postma, Cormier, Klingberg up for a look see, that's different. Might as well take a look at some guys. Heisinger would probably break out in tears though, so I doubt that will happen.

GM's have to think long term, planning the organization's future for multiple years. Coach's can think of the season as a whole and the next game. Players should only think of the next game. That's how I look at it.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

I want to see these guys play for their jobs tonight.. I want to see who is worth keeping next season. Get rid of any ****ing floaters. If they aren't gonna compete and play to win every night, we don't want em. That is all.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Any player or coach that quits is as good as gone, in my book. The players have to come to play every game. If that means winning the remaining 5 games and drafting 14th instead of 5th, so be it. Losing breeds losing. I expect to see players like Ladd, Stuart, Bogosian, the leaders on this team have a very solid 5 games down the stretch. These guys gotta step up and show the never say die attitude that this team will need going forward. Players like Glass, Slater (they were arguably our best players last game so good to see), Wellwood, Mason are playing for contracts. Burmistrov, Machacek, Clitsome should be playing for bigger roles next year. Perennial "losers" like Enstrom, Antropov, Little need to show they care. We'll learn alot about the character of some guys from these last 5 games, IMO.

Now if the GM decides to bring some young guys like Kulda, Postma, Cormier, Klingberg up for a look see, that's different. Might as well take a look at some guys. Heisinger would probably break out in tears though, so I doubt that will happen.

GM's have to think long term, planning the organization's future for multiple years. Coach's can think of the season as a whole and the next game. Players should only think of the next game. That's how I look at it.

Exactly, thank you.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:34 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 665
No it isn't. I'd like to see Filip Forsberg in a Jets jersey, and thats a bottom-5 draft position!

EDIT - ps, i'd like the Jets to win...but maybe a few SO losses would be ok too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBS View Post
I want the Jets to win. I really do. Particularly given their shameful showing lately at home.

But.... we have 78 points, and there are four teams with 77 points.

Is it wrong to look at draft position with a certain sort of optimism?

Old
03-30-2012, 05:37 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

100% agree

Do they have pride in their uniform. If they are coasting now a great draft pick really won't matter because we will need allot more than that.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

I'm not too excited/anxious for this game but it will be interesting to see who shows up and who mails it in.

Also, if the Canes go after Bogo for the " dirtiest hit of the season". LOL!!

The guys should be loose because the pressure is off to make the playoffs so I fully expect to see a different looking team.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Wpgpage

Not suggesting they play like crap or don't try to win just hoping they lose. Getting a player like Gally or Forseberg is worth so much more than winning out these games its not even close. Build a winning attitude next year when you have the top 6 player you desperately need in the fold.

Buff is hurt he should be told to take a seat in the Press Box ice his knee and brows the fitness depot catalog, Antro is coming off an injury tell him to park it for the season. If SJ already has a spot locked up bring up Cormier and Klingberg for a game or 2. Play Machacek up with Kane and Burmi or with G-S not on that waiver line. This team needs to think about the next 2-3 years and as much as you want to see them compete the talent difference between top 5 picks and a 10th pick is so great that no minor mental victory will ever even come close to equaling it. These are pro athletes they don't need to win 5 meaningless games to come in next season ready to improve and make the play offs.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Quote:

Well said, Holden.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
Not suggesting they play like crap or don't try to win just hoping they lose. Getting a player like Gally or Forseberg is worth so much more than winning out these games its not even close. Build a winning attitude next year when you have the top 6 player you desperately need in the fold.

Buff is hurt he should be told to take a seat in the Press Box ice his knee and brows the fitness depot catalog, Antro is coming off an injury tell him to park it for the season. If SJ already has a spot locked up bring up Cormier and Klingberg for a game or 2. Play Machacek up with Kane and Burmi or with G-S not on that waiver line. This team needs to think about the next 2-3 years and as much as you want to see them compete the talent difference between top 5 picks and a 10th pick is so great that no minor mental victory will ever even come close to equaling it. These are pro athletes they don't need to win 5 meaningless games to come in next season ready to improve and make the play offs.
It seems big now, but take a look at some recent examples. 08, 5 is Schenn, 6 is Filatov, 10 is Hodgson, 12 is Myers. 07, 4 is Hickey, 7 is Voracek, 9 is Couture. 06, 6 is Brassard, 9 is Sheppard, 12 is Little. 05, 4 is Pouliout, 6 is Brule, 11 is Kopitar, 12 is M.Staal. 04, 3 is Barker, 5 is Wheeler, 9 is Smid, 13 is Stafford. 03, 4 is Zherdev, 7 is Suter, 11 is Carter, 13 is Brown. Now I've cherry picked just a little, but the point remains that it is impossible to predict and the difference is not as big as people make it out to be.

Again though, I was talking from the player's perspective. They have to treat every game as though it is the most important of the year. They need to come to play. I coach should be doing everything he can as well to win hockey games, that's their job description. Win hockey games.

A GM can take a long view and bring in some young guys for experience, but clearly Heisinger will not let that happen since it will hurt his precious IceCaps. I agree that you don't push players nagging injuries and you can sit down some guys not performing for youngsters, but no team tanks in this league despite what some ignorant people will tell you and the Jets will not be an exception, IMO. You can try some things with new lines, different roles, etc, but in the end at the coaches and players level you put the roster you think will most likely win the game. You have to.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 03-30-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old
03-30-2012, 06:04 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Nice post and nice GDT HC

I am going to go out on a limb and predict our team comes out flying tonight. I believe the first line and Ladd specifically will have big games. if they do then we might have a shot at making the playoffs next year. if we come out flat tonight then I really fear we don't have the character and veteran leadership nessesary to overcome our talent deficit.

I know it seems a bit dramatic but i'm serious games like tonight show exactly how much character and pride you really have

Last edited by ps241: 03-30-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old
03-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:

Again though, I was talking from the player's perspective. They have to treat every game as though it is the most important of the year. They need to come to play. I coach should be doing everything he can as well to win hockey games, that's their job description. Win hockey games.

A GM can take a long view and bring in some young guys for experience, but clearly Heisinger will not let that happen since it will hurt his precious IceCaps. I agree that you don't push players nagging injuries and you can sit down some guys not performing for youngsters, but no team tanks in this league despite what some ignorant people will tell you and the Jets will not be an exception, IMO. You can try some things with new lines, different roles, etc, but in the end at the coaches and players level you put the roster you think will most likely win the game. You have to.
I was speaking more from a GM's perspective of course I don't expect Claude to go in there and tell everyone to mail one in, but things like sitting Buff starting Mason ect should happen to close out the season. Let me reiterate my point as I think I was unclear before;
I do not want the players we have on the ice not giving 100% or not trying to win. I do want the management team, ether by sitting vets to get a look at younger players, or by shutting down guys with nagging injuries to make it easier to lose.

As for the draft every year is different and I think I could easily find examples of drafts where #5 was way better than #10. That being said drafting is an inexact science and there is defiantly a chance that #5 goes no-ware and #10 is a star, but with the #5 pick you have 5 more options on the bored. If Chevy chooses the right player is a question that will take years to answer but the fact is that at #5 you have options that you don't have at #10.

Old
03-30-2012, 06:21 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

Very interesting starting line-up.

Nice to see Antro back, and teamed up with Welly again.
Miettinen's been playing his butt off, and has found his ability to put the puck in the net again. Looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the Burmi line
Machacek getting rewarded by getting a chance on the hard working GST line.

Should be a good game. I would like to see tonight start to set the tone for NEXT season. Some of you can wish for tanking all you want, but if any of these players mail it in for the rest of the season, it won't just be Chevy that takes note - 29 other (sorry, 28, minus Gauthier ) will ALSO take note. It might happen despite their best efforts, but no professional will allow it to happen on purpose.

Go Go!

Old
03-30-2012, 06:24 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
^He's a cover athlete after all, we have to start expecting this from him.

That's some QUALITY work bro! Lovvit.

Old
03-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Nice post and nice GDT HC

I am going to go out on a limb and predict our team comes out flying tonight. I believe the first line and Ladd specificall will have big games. if they do then we might have a shot at making the playoffs next year. if we come out flat tonight then I really fear we don't have the character and veteran leadership nessesary to overcome our talent deficit.

I know it seems a bit dramatic but i'm serious games like tonight show exactly how much character and pride you really have
yup on all accounts. This is a good time for Laddy to show how he can gather the troops. That is how you build a winning culture, not by deliberately loosing games to get higher draft picks. This was a feeler year for the Jets. Next year much more will be expected of everyone.

Old
03-30-2012, 06:48 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:

Of course no team "tanks", but I have been watching hockey for a long time, and trust me... teams get very creative in an effort to look like they are putting thier best effort forward with the hopes of losing for draft picks. This is exactly why the lottery was put in... to stop a practice that was happening.

Under NO circumstances is this version of the Jets going to try and lose hockey games, but if for unknown reasons the hockey gods end up hating us until the end of the season, and as a result we move up in the draft, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Old
03-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Are they conducting this Noel interview by a chopper? What the hell. His nicely coiffed hair is now ruined!

Old
03-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Burmistrov - Miettinen
Glass - Slater - Machacek
Stapleton - Antropov - Wellwood

I like the look of these starting lines. Let's see how they do.

Old
03-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Are they conducting this Noel interview by a chopper? What the hell. His nicely coiffed hair is now ruined!
Noticed that, it was quite magestic.

03-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Of course no team "tanks", but I have been watching hockey for a long time, and trust me... teams get very creative in an effort to look like they are putting thier best effort forward with the hopes of losing for draft picks. This is exactly why the lottery was put in... to stop a practice that was happening.

Under NO circumstances is this version of the Jets going to try and lose hockey games, but if for unknown reasons the hockey gods end up hating us until the end of the season, and as a result we move up in the draft, I'm not losing sleep over it.
Some players aren't really going to want the team to draft someone that could push them out of a roster spot right away. So those players would have an incentive to play for a win, thus reducing the potential of another major competitor for their jobs in the near future.

I really doubt that drafting is so accurate that a couple spots in the draft are likely to matter very much. It would be interesting to compare the completed careers of the last 10 5th picks vs. the last 10 9th picks. I'd bet there'd be little or no difference.

Old
03-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Burmistrov - Miettinen
Glass - Slater - Machacek
Stapleton - Antropov - Wellwood

I like the look of these starting lines. Let's see how they do.
Me too. I'm really hopeful about Miettinen and congratulations to Machacek for moving up!

Old
03-30-2012, 07:02 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
It's one of my good buddies birthday's today so I'll be heading out (hopefully to catch some of the game before hand).

Go Jets Go!

Closed Thread