HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Fire Wilson and McLellan?

Old
03-30-2012, 02:35 AM
RAF

vCash: 500
Fire Wilson and McLellan?

I've resisted this urge all year, but point to a few things. With the loss to the Coyotes, I have a few thoughts, I know I'm not recognized here, but humor me...

I like the talent on this team, and don't understand why they're struggling for a playoff birth...they can't seem to buy a bounce, but still...

Wilson wouldn't deal Couture for Nash, but he turned around and traded Couture's best friend for a quarter and a dime for McGinn's dollar...the quarter won't be resigned and the twenty dollar bill that is Logan Couture has been in a funk ever since...If Couture was so important he can't be traded for Rick EFFING Nash why would you trade away his best friend, a guy who he's played with since juniors for a couple of journeymen when he's supposed to be the future of the team?(Especially when that player was one of the few guys on the team playing well at the time of the trade?)

The PK has sucked for two years...If McLellan was a competent coach that should've been fixed, LAST YEAR. His in game adjustments are non existent, the boys play like a bunch of therapists, and they have a losing record against their own division. For weeks the refs have put their whistles away(To the NHL's credit, they did catch that flagrant boarding penalty against notorious goon Patrick Marleau. After the NHL reviews that one I'm sure he'll have a lengthy suspension)and yet the team hasn't adapted...I don't know, maybe I'm wrong...maybe the players just suck, maybe this has just been the bounces from hell year, but I've been watching hockey for a long time, this team breaks my heart every year, and I look at the talent on this team and don't get it.

Last edited by RAF: 03-30-2012 at 02:40 AM.
RAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:43 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Jamie McGinn is replaceable. The trade is over and done. Couture is playing like **** for reasons other than McGinn being traded.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:44 AM
Les Wynan*

Yes, absolutely Couture hasn't scored because mean old Dougie traded away his BFF. Phenomenal analysis.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:56 AM
wtfisthis

If Jamie McGinn being traded is affecting the team this much, then they are in deep ****. But I do agree that McClellan and the two blow up dolls that stand next to him during games need to be fired.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:58 AM
WTFetus

McGinn isn't Couture's best friend. Closest friend on the team, but not best.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:14 AM
RAF

When the Sharks win the cup(And W and G become an integral part of it down to the inevitable 8 seed to SC champion run this team is about to go on, then perhaps you can claim that trading a young 20 goal scorer(who was also a 2nd rd pick, not like he came out of nowhere), was a good trade...But to not trade for Rick Nash, who would only be lauded as the best or second best player on the team for a guy we hope turns out to be as good as Rick Nash is idiotic...especially when Wilson turns around and trades said player's best friend on the team(happy?) My point being, Couture's so important we don't give him up for Rick Nash, that's fine, but don't trade away the Robin to his Batman for a journeyman FA who's gone in three months and a 23 year old enigma who may not even make the team next year...

As an aside, loved the Remenda-Ratto feud on the post game, even a broken clock is right twice a day...

Old
03-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Leidi J

The only thing I really agree with here is that the PK is crap and McLellan and the coaches need to find a way to fix that with the personel that we have instead of trying to bring in guys here and there to fix it. It's the system that's not working not the players.

Other than that, I don't blame the overall losing on the coaching staff. It's the players out there playing the games. Yes, it sucks when they're trying and the bounces don't go their way and they lose. But I remember watching multiple games this year where the effort was just not there at all. If they had tried all year long we wouldn't be in this hole.

The players needed to stop being lazy and entitled months ago, assuming they would get a playoff spot reserved for them. We'll see if it's too late or if the talent shows up to pull them in, but I don't blame the coaches...

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:26 AM
wtfisthis

I dont think a lot of people here really liked the McGinn trade but that is the least of the Sharks' problems right now. Even without the trade, they would still be struggling.

And trading for Nash, the Sharks would have to part with more than just Couture. That is just dumb and you also have to consider Nash's huge contract. They already have a couple big contracts on the team and adding another one while trading away a rising star on a good contract is really not ideal.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:31 AM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAVELSKI View Post
The only thing I really agree with here is that the PK is crap and McLellan and the coaches need to find a way to fix that with the personel that we have instead of trying to bring in guys here and there to fix it. It's the system that's not working not the players.

Other than that, I don't blame the overall losing on the coaching staff. It's the players out there playing the games. Yes, it sucks when they're trying and the bounces don't go their way and they lose. But I remember watching multiple games this year where the effort was just not there at all. If they had tried all year long we wouldn't be in this hole.

The players needed to stop being lazy and entitled months ago, assuming they would get a playoff spot reserved for them. We'll see if it's too late or if the talent shows up to pull them in, but I don't blame the coaches...
Wilson has overhauled the team over the past few years and exhiled those who weren't "winners" re: Michalek, Erhoff(I don't care if I didn't spell them right) and the team still plays like crap. If Joe and Patty can't get it done, then Joe and Patty should be gone right?

So I guess this is more of a fire Wilson? thread, but McLellan can't solve simple problems like fixing the pk(hint, 1-1-2 ain't working, it ain't a stock, it won't work next year either) and regardless of whether or not this team makes the playoffs, this was a championship contender, not a team fighting to make the playoffs. This team should not be in this position. The talent is there. At some point management needs to be held accountable. I know this is California, but the purpose of management is to place people in positions where they will suceed...

Old
03-30-2012, 03:47 AM
Lee Van Cleef*

Both those useless idiots should be gone. Start anew.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:48 AM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisthis View Post
I dont think a lot of people here really liked the McGinn trade but that is the least of the Sharks' problems right now. Even without the trade, they would still be struggling.

And trading for Nash, the Sharks would have to part with more than just Couture. That is just dumb and you also have to consider Nash's huge contract. They already have a couple big contracts on the team and adding another one while trading away a rising star on a good contract is really not ideal.
I totally agree with you...If I was the BJ's GM I would've asked for Couture and Burns hoping to work that down to something like Couture-McGinn or Wingels plus Braun, or failing that Couture-Braun...and if I was Doug Wilson I wouldn't have made that trade. Make no mistake, however, that Nash ain't here because Couture is that good, and we(the fans) love him. I didn't want to lose Couture for Nash...the reason being that Couture despite his lack of speed and size is a huge talent and his hockey sense is through the roof...but to refuse to trade for a player of Nash's caliber because you're so in love with Couture, and then to turn around and trade his hombre for a couple of guys who won't be on the team in two years...well for one it should piss Logan off, for two it should make him question your wisdom, it's just not smart. If you're gonna sell out to win the cup, then trade your future, trade Couture. If not don't make things harder for the guy you expect to rep your franchise for the next ten years...this isn't a difficult concept

Old
03-30-2012, 03:49 AM
Phu

Nash and his $7.8m salary are a nonstarter. Not for logan who is signed at less than half that and putting up more points.

By and large, the team has not played like crap this season and especially not when the losing streak kicked in. Their results are far out of line with what they have done on the ice, but that's hockey. You might only see this once in a generation, but it does happen, we're seeing it with our own eyes.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:15 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF View Post
I totally agree with you...If I was the BJ's GM I would've asked for Couture and Burns hoping to work that down to something like Couture-McGinn or Wingels plus Braun, or failing that Couture-Braun...and if I was Doug Wilson I wouldn't have made that trade. Make no mistake, however, that Nash ain't here because Couture is that good, and we(the fans) love him. I didn't want to lose Couture for Nash...the reason being that Couture despite his lack of speed and size is a huge talent and his hockey sense is through the roof...but to refuse to trade for a player of Nash's caliber because you're so in love with Couture, and then to turn around and trade his hombre for a couple of guys who won't be on the team in two years...well for one it should piss Logan off, for two it should make him question your wisdom, it's just not smart. If you're gonna sell out to win the cup, then trade your future, trade Couture. If not don't make things harder for the guy you expect to rep your franchise for the next ten years...this isn't a difficult concept
Its a business. Jamie McGinn has hit 20 goals once. Logan Couture understands its a business so Im sure he isn't pouting. Couture is no longer a secret, teams are much more physical on him. He needs to dedicate his offseason to getting stronger and keep improving his skating.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:30 AM
RAF

Ughhhhhhh...yeah, I'm sure McGinn getting traded has nothing to do with our most consistent player going into a funk right after the trade. Besides, it's not like Couture was a prolific goal scorer on the road anyway...

Old
03-30-2012, 04:33 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ughhhhhhh...yeah, I'm sure McGinn getting traded has nothing to do with our most consistent player going into a funk right after the trade. Besides, it's not like Couture was a prolific goal scorer on the road anyway...
Why did Couture play well last year when McGinn wasn't playing for us half the season?

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:34 AM
RAF

Love how the majority of replies are defending a trade that will be viewed as a fail unless the Sharks win the cup...

Old
03-30-2012, 04:37 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Then how come Boyle didn't nosedive when his bff Lukowich was waived? This is the NHL not the Ottawa 67's. Logan is becoming a focal point for opposing teams..he better get used to it.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:38 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Love how the majority of replies are defending a trade that will be viewed as a fail unless the Sharks win the cup...
Love how defending the trade and saying that the entire reason the Sharks are playing like terrible are one in the same for you.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:41 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
They traded a 3rd line winger and two prospects for two NHL forwards. The bottom six needed speed and pk ability and some grit. Trading McGinn is not the reason the Sharks are out of the playoffs at this time. They aren't scoring and they keep turning the puck over.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:49 AM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Then how come Boyle didn't nosedive when his bff Lukowich was waived? This is the NHL not the Ottawa 67's. Logan is becoming a focal point for opposing teams..he better get used to it.
Boyle came to the Sharks in his 30's...Couture is 23, I don't know how old you are, needless to say if you don't understand the difference there's nothing I can say to help you understand. If Logan's a franchise player, and you're the head of a franchise that wins championships you make exceptions for players of his caliber, and if that means not trading a third line winger with 12 goals for a third line winger with 4 goals and a 4th line winger whose been benched on a team that isn't on pace to make the playoffs those are the kind of sacrifices you have to make...I can't put it any more frankly without getting banned from these boards...this also applies to the young man with the 13 year old girl as his avatar....sorry, couldn't get hf to quote you both...

Old
03-30-2012, 04:50 AM
Phu

Quote:
They aren't scoring and they keep turning the puck over.
They did not really turn the puck over much. 2 giveaways, 5 takeaways, which was better than Phoenix at 3 giveaways, 5 takeaways.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:56 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Boyle came to the Sharks in his 30's...Couture is 23, I don't know how old you are, needless to say if you don't understand the difference there's nothing I can say to help you understand. If Logan's a franchise player, and you're the head of a franchise that wins championships you make exceptions for players of his caliber, and if that means not trading a third line winger with 12 goals for a third line winger with 4 goals and a 4th line winger whose been benched on a team that isn't on pace to make the playoffs those are the kind of sacrifices you have to make...I can't put it any more frankly without getting banned from these boards...this also applies to the young man with the 13 year old girl as his avatar....sorry, couldn't get hf to quote you both...
So you're saying Couture is a franchise player but in the same sentence saying his offensive production is entirely reliant on a third line winger being on the same team as him. That makes no sense.

Also, it's rather condescending and presumptuous to just refer to me as "young man," as if my age or sex has any weight in this argument.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:08 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Well he made the trade. Wilson doesn't have a crystal ball..how would he know the Sharks would begin such an epic offensive drought. Logan isn't bigger than the Sharks. He's a 23 year old exceptionally talented player who is in a funk. It has nothing to do with his friend being traded. The kind of character he seems to have I fully expect him to come back stronger next year.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:23 AM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
So you're saying Couture is a franchise player but in the same sentence saying his offensive production is entirely reliant on a third line winger being on the same team as him. That makes no sense.

Also, it's rather condescending and presumptuous to just refer to me as "young man," as if my age or sex has any weight in this argument.
I'm saying if Couture isn't a franchise player Wilson should've traded him for Nash, and if Wilson thinks he is a franchise player he shouldn't have traded his bff for spare parts...

As for your my comment towards your avatar that had nothing to do with your knowledge of anything, though I was most certainly being condescending, that was bush league and I'm sorry...my apologies...

Old
03-30-2012, 05:37 AM
RAF

Quote:
Well he made the trade. Wilson doesn't have a crystal ball..how would he know the Sharks would begin such an epic offensive drought. Logan isn't bigger than the Sharks. He's a 23 year old exceptionally talented player who is in a funk. It has nothing to do with his friend being traded. The kind of character he seems to have I fully expect him to come back stronger next year.
By not trading Couture for Nash DW was implying Logan was the future. While vets like Thornton, Marleau and Boyle are doing whatever married guys do on the road young guys new to the game are running around chasing girls(or boys), cause that's what young men(and women) do. When your best friend gets traded to Colorado suddenly this rock, this thing that makes you happy and helps your play is taken away and you devote energy to getting it back that takes away from your job.