HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 unrestricted free agents

Old
03-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Hamrlik really did that bad with Washington? If thats the case, scratch my idea. I apparently held the curious notion he did very well over there.

I was just looking for a way to kill two birds with one stone.
He's played more lately...but I would prefer a 2-3 year solution until Tinordi/Pateryn/Ellis are ready for top 4 minutes.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He's played more lately...but I would prefer a 2-3 year solution until Tinordi/Pateryn/Ellis are ready for top 4 minutes.
I really got the impression he was having a great year when we played Washington in November.

Oh well, in that case I agree with you. Better a relatively solid fixture for middle-term

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Go Habs Go

Please no Semin!

One of the most heartless, disinterested, laziest player in the league. The guy plays with Backstrom and Ovi, is one of the most talented hockey player in the world yet underachieves almost every year. Remember the year we beat Washington in the playoffs? Semin was completely invisible for the whole series. I'd rather throw that money to a Shane Doan type, at the very least he brings a physical game, leadership and a lot of character. At least he cares..

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Seeing how good he was before he got paired with Weber and how Weber looked without him or Hamhuis I think you couldn't be more wrong.
We'll see next year.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
habitue*

The UFA list is quite thin this year in terms of talent.

Ryan Suter would be my top priority...

But if we could end up with a guy like Garrisson or even O'Brien, I would be satisfied.

We can get some quality wingers via trades.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

O'Brien. Shane mother ****ing O'Brien.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:45 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
O'Brien. Shane mother ****ing O'Brien.
He looks good with the Avs this season. As a #6 big D-man,playing 15-16 min. why not ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
He looks good with the Avs this season. As a #6 big D-man,playing 15-16 min. why not ?
Depends on your definition of good. If you think that a #6 guy who doesn't know his limits is a good thing you're mistaken.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:53 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

O'Brien-Diaz would be good imo.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:57 AM
donghabs98

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Please no Semin!

One of the most heartless, disinterested, laziest player in the league. The guy plays with Backstrom and Ovi, is one of the most talented hockey player in the world yet underachieves almost every year. Remember the year we beat Washington in the playoffs? Semin was completely invisible for the whole series. I'd rather throw that money to a Shane Doan type, at the very least he brings a physical game, leadership and a lot of character. At least he cares..
i fully agree

i want semin no where near this team. I rather have AK back then semin

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Depends on your definition of good. If you think that a #6 guy who doesn't know his limits is a good thing you're mistaken.
Yeah, I don't think he's "good". But that's why you play him 15 minutes, and maybe not even every night (just don't tell him that's the plan when you offer him the contract ). But he's tough, and "adequate" many nights, and has a good reputation as a teammate. I mean, we're rolling 2-4 defensemen every night this season who aren't "good", and nobody lines up a roster with 8 "good" defensemen, so I'm still ok with signing him for the specialized elements he does bring. So long as you get the rest of it all sorted out and have all the other bases more than amply covered first. He's by no means a top priority or a player that one should overrate in the grand scheme.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Please no Semin!

I doubt he scored 195 goals in 465 games being lazy, hearless and disinterested.

I wouldn't say Semin was invisible, he got a ton of chances that series but couldn't bury them, he had 44 shots in 7 games...yes FOURTY FOUR.

Other than that series he has 30 GP and 12-16-28 in the playoffs. I'm sure that beats most big hearted, hard working, interested players.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
O'Brien-Diaz would be good imo.
What do you do with Emelin?

If you use Emelin-Markov as your #2 pair that's a big risk. Emelin needs to show he can take the next step from #5-6 to #3-4 and Markov needs to show he can stay healthy.

To me Emelin is young tough #5-6 d-man and you get another stay at home for the #3-4 spot.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Parise is a very good player, but at 10 mil per year you'd be seriously handicappy your ability to build a winner. Maybe if it's 5 years at 10 mil then a couple low years at thend to bring the cap hit to Gomez level(7-7.5) I could live with that. If you have to pay him 50 mil over 5 years you are just shooting yourself in the foot Gomez/Cammalleri style.

Suter same situation. He is an excellent d-man but 8 mil/year is a lot unless you can add a few years to reduce the acp hit to about 6.5.
I think Parise is *significantly* better than Gomez/Cammalleri. But who knows. Gainey thought Gomez and Cammalleri were significantly better than Gomez/Cammalleri too, and look how that turned out. I'm ok with taking the risk on these specific players at this specific juncture in time. $100M/10yrs to Parise and $80M/10yrs to Suter. I don't need the frontloads. It's not my money. I happen to believe in those players. For sure those are risky and scary contracts in terms of cap hit *and* term, and we've never seen those hereabouts before. But at $5M per season cap inflation, we'd be at a $100M cap ~mid-way through those contracts. I don't believe those players will want to sign with us even with those outlandish offers, however (based only on cynicism, I don't know them personally of course). But I figure if we're even going to pretend to be players in the chase, we have to crank out the most ridiculously overblown offers out there. Hence my ridiculously overblown offers. If you're going to bother playing, play to win.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Yeah, I don't think he's "good". But that's why you play him 15 minutes, and maybe not even every night (just don't tell him that's the plan when you offer him the contract ). But he's tough, and "adequate" many nights, and has a good reputation as a teammate. I mean, we're rolling 2-4 defensemen every night this season who aren't "good", and nobody lines up a roster with 8 "good" defensemen, so I'm still ok with signing him for the specialized elements he does bring. So long as you get the rest of it all sorted out and have all the other bases more than amply covered first. He's by no means a top priority or a player that one should overrate in the grand scheme.
Don't get me wrong, he seems like a great guy and he's a locker room favourite in Denver, but his play took a toll on my nerves. When EJ plays with him he looks like he's wondering ''oh my God what the hell is he going to do the next time'', watching him play is like a roller coster, you love him when he's pushing people around, but you're absolutely terrified when he has the puck on his stick.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
WestIslander

Semin, Prust and Suter for me

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Semin - Plekanec - Gionta
Bourque - Eller - Leblanc
White - Prust - Moen
Palushaj

Markov - Gorges
Suter - Subban
Kaberle - Emelin
St-Denis

Price
Budaj

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
What do you do with Emelin?

If you use Emelin-Markov as your #2 pair that's a big risk. Emelin needs to show he can take the next step from #5-6 to #3-4 and Markov needs to show he can stay healthy.

To me Emelin is young tough #5-6 d-man and you get another stay at home for the #3-4 spot.
I think one has to stop worrying about "what do you do with X" when you are building a modern NHL defense. Sign 8 guys who you feel could/should play every night (if you can $$$-wise). They'll sort it out from there. And before you know it, you'll only have 5 or 6 of them healthy anyway.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
i fully agree

i want semin no where near this team. I rather have AK back then semin
If they intend to throw a boat load of money to a forward, I would target Parise instead of Semin. Semin is a world class talent but he is somewhat injury prone and there is a relentless aura of "attitude problems" surrounding the Capitals.

My #1 priority is still a gritty D but... my GAWD... Parise would sure be a great addition!

Parise – Plekanec – Cole
Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gionta
Bourque – Eller – Moen
xyz – abc - White

42M$ - 5 years – done deal.
Welcome Parise.
Easy job!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Aurel Joliat

- PA Parenteau
- David Jones
- Shane O'Brien
- Travis Moen
- Brad Staubitz

And some depth players like Guillaume Desbiens and PC Labrie

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:29 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Jackman or Grossman + S.O.B. overhaul the d-corps

Sign prust.

If there's room: Shane Doan on the third line with Eller.

And while I've liked what I've seen from Labrie, he's not a free agent.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think Parise is *significantly* better than Gomez/Cammalleri. But who knows. Gainey thought Gomez and Cammalleri were significantly better than Gomez/Cammalleri too, and look how that turned out. I'm ok with taking the risk on these specific players at this specific juncture in time. $100M/10yrs to Parise and $80M/10yrs to Suter. I don't need the frontloads. It's not my money. I happen to believe in those players. For sure those are risky and scary contracts in terms of cap hit *and* term, and we've never seen those hereabouts before. But at $5M per season cap inflation, we'd be at a $100M cap ~mid-way through those contracts. I don't believe those players will want to sign with us even with those outlandish offers, however (based only on cynicism, I don't know them personally of course). But I figure if we're even going to pretend to be players in the chase, we have to crank out the most ridiculously overblown offers out there. Hence my ridiculously overblown offers. If you're going to bother playing, play to win.
It's not about money per se, it's about operating in the NHL salary cap world. If you spend 25% of your cap room on two players and neither is a superstar that's very poor asset mangement.

Sure you want those guys on your team but if you have to screw up your roster for the length of time they are here then it's one step ahead and two steps back.

Players care about winning, being in a good situation and money, those 3 can be in a lot of different order or percentage of importance. I think you can make agressive offers to those guys and still have a manegeable cap situation.

Parise 7 years and 53 mil(10, 10, 10, 10, 6, 4, 3). 7.6 mil cap hit
Suter 7 years and 48 mil(9, 9, 9, 9, 5, 4, 3). 6.85 mil cap hit.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
What do you do with Emelin? If you use Emelin-Markov as your #2 pair that's a big risk. Emelin needs to show he can take the next step from #5-6 to #3-4 and Markov needs to show he can stay healthy. To me Emelin is young tough #5-6 d-man and you get another stay at home for the #3-4 spot.
Wow, you're tough! Emelin was a rookie and had no experience playing with Markov in top form. I think he spent most of his time playing with Weber, Diaz, or Campoli (I'm sure you're check it out). That's a sad introduction to the NHL for anyone.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 03-30-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: adding words
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:53 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
I wouldn't say Semin was invisible, he got a ton of chances that series but couldn't bury them, he had 44 shots in 7 games...yes FOURTY FOUR.
Yhea.. I'm not sure we can take whatever stats from this peticular serie as cash. We played an effective collapsible defensive system that allowed easy peripheral zone entry and possession, which gave lots of shots opportunity, but little room to take dangerous shots.

Plus, we were on Ovechkin's back all serie long. Literally.

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Aeneas

how much is garrison or grossman worth?

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I doubt he scored 195 goals in 465 games being lazy, hearless and disinterested.

Other than that series he has 30 GP and 12-16-28 in the playoffs. I'm sure that beats most big hearted, hard working, interested players.
You're arguing with stats, did you not watch him play that year? And at the end of the day, THEY LOST. We had no business beating them that year but perhaps had he helped ovi and Backstrom a little that series, we might've been eliminated in 4 games.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote