HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 unrestricted free agents

Old
03-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Bieber fever

vCash: 500
I'm the only one who will roll the dice with.........................Dustin Penner lol ?

I know he "sucks" in LA ,but it's not a good fit for him and everyone suck offensively in LA.

Carter 9 points in 16 games
Richards 39 points in 69 games
Kopitar 67 points in 77 games

He's value is all time low, we can probably sign him for cheap.This guy scored 32 goals (23 ES) with the worst team in the NHL in 09-10 !! He was THE ONE doing everything on the first line and playing against top opposition. No matter how "lazy " he is , it's very impressive.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 200
off the top of my head the 2 free agents that first come to mind for me are

parise and jackman

parise-plek-gionta would look pretty good

jackman added to our blueline would be perfect

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not about money per se, it's about operating in the NHL salary cap world. If you spend 25% of your cap room on two players and neither is a superstar that's very poor asset mangement.
I consider them both to be "star" players, anyway. If there are only a handful of 100% unavailable "superstar" players, you take the next best thing, if you can.
Quote:
Sure you want those guys on your team but if you have to screw up your roster for the length of time they are here then it's one step ahead and two steps back.
And if you don't see it as screwing up your roster, but rather as dramatically improving your team, then it's all good.
Quote:
Players care about winning, being in a good situation and money, those 3 can be in a lot of different order or percentage of importance. I think you can make agressive offers to those guys and still have a manegeable cap situation.

Parise 7 years and 53 mil(10, 10, 10, 10, 6, 4, 3). 7.6 mil cap hit
Suter 7 years and 48 mil(9, 9, 9, 9, 5, 4, 3). 6.85 mil cap hit.
Yeah, but those are the contracts that those players can get from *any* team out there. If that's all it takes, they'll just be staying where they're already happy, or heading to their dream locations or this year's Stanley Cup winner or whatnot. They don't come to the dreaded 29th-place Circus Sideshow team for those bog-standard contract offers. You have to come up with something dramatic/insane like I proposed to even have some faint hope of catching their eye. (Probably).

But then, when you stop and think that "dramatic/insane" is really only a few million more in cap space (total for both), and a few more years (way off at the end of a long tunnel none of us can remotely see the end of atm), it really shouldn't be that "unmanageable". It's a Kaberle. Or a Bourque. Every team has some expendable plug that represents the difference between most perceptions of "manageable" and "dramatic/insane".

Anyway, not too much point in arguing it. I'm nominally for the fireworks offers, but I don't expect them to happen, nor for the players to take them even if they really were made, so it's kind of moot and not that interesting a subject.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Jaromir Jagr, 1 year deal worth 4.5 million to play on the line with Plekanec

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
I'm the only one who will roll the dice with.........................Dustin Penner lol ?

I know he "sucks" in LA ,but it's not a good fit for him and everyone suck offensively in LA.

Carter 9 points in 16 games
Richards 39 points in 69 games
Kopitar 67 points in 77 games

He's value is all time low, we can probably sign him for cheap.This guy scored 32 goals (23 ES) with the worst team in the NHL in 09-10 !! He was THE ONE doing everything on the first line and playing against top opposition. No matter how "lazy " he is , it's very impressive.
I think he could be worth a gamble. 1 year 2-2.5 mil if you can't get plan A, B or C(Parise Semin etc).

If he is a total flop you waive him, 1 year deal is virtually no risk.

I think Gionta-Pleks-Penner could be a very good 2nd line.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Jaromir Jagr, 1 year deal worth 4.5 million to play on the line with Plekanec
I think he'll end up signing an extension in Phillie unless he flops at playoff time or they decide to keep Carle and Grossman instead.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I think he'll end up signing an extension in Phillie unless he flops at playoff time or they decide to keep Carle and Grossman instead.
Maybe he will stay there, I don't see us landing Parise and Semin I don't want, Jagr would be my guy I would even offer him 5 million but just a 1 year deal

Old
03-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Unless you're talking about his goal scoring touch you're wrong. He always been really good defensivly.
If by always you mean 2 years, then sure, he's always been good defensively.

If a team pays him money to put up 15+ goals, be physical and be steady on the back end they're end up buying him out.

If the habs completely strike out on everyone I'd sign Penner. 1.5 for 1 year. Give him a chance.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Maybe he will stay there, I don't see us landing Parise and Semin I don't want, Jagr would be my guy I would even offer him 5 million but just a 1 year deal
If you're going to offer 1 year and 5 mil to Jagr why not 2-3 years and 6-6.25 to Semin?

Semin is coming off a 50 point year. I don't see him hitting the big jackpot, perfect buy low candidate as long as you don't overdo it by offering a 5-6 year deal.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
If you're going to offer 1 year and 5 mil to Jagr why not 2-3 years and 6-6.25 to Semin?

Semin is coming off a 50 point year. I don't see him hitting the big jackpot, perfect buy low candidate as long as you don't overdo it by offering a 5-6 year deal.
Because Semin isn't a winner and seems to have had attitude problems. Jagr is a proven winner, one of the all time best players to ever play in the NHL and he can be a great leader to our young locker room

Old
03-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 410
Suter-Subban
Markov-Gorges
Emelin-Diaz

Good night Northeast!

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:44 PM
MarkovsKnee

I don't think we're getting Ryan Suter. I think he will either re-sign in Nashville or sign in Detroit. Redwings have $21m in cap space this summer & they really need someone to step in for Lidstrom. I can see them making a serious run at Suter. And, why wouldn't he go there? They are a perennial play-off team & cup contender.

Jackman is actually the guy I want, but I expect Blues to resign him. They have a ton of cap room to sign all their guys.

After them, the 3 guys I like are Grossman, Allen & Stuart.

With Grossman: Grossman - Subban; Markov - Gorges; Emelin - Diaz.
With Stuart: Gorges - Subban; Markov - Stuart; Emelin - Diaz
With Allen: Gorges - Subban; Markov - Emelin; Allen - Diaz.

It would be great if we got 2 of the 3.

Grossman - Subban; Markov - Gorges; Allen - Diaz/Emelin is ideal. It gives us solid NHL depth.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:

I would not wanna touch Semin, he brings a negative attitude and will be a disaster here.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:53 PM
charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
I would not wanna touch Semin, he brings a negative attitude and will be a disaster here.
Maybe they didnt make the best trades but that is what I liked about Gauthier and Gainey........they were both trying to bring in positive attitudes......and draft players with excellent work ethic.
I just hope this trend continues.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:16 PM
kempie

Bryan Allen

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?1783

kempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:18 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempie View Post
Don't see him signing for the Habs... Spacek must had done a "great" sale (and sale in French) job, to convince Allen NOT to consider Montreal.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If by always you mean 2 years, then sure, he's always been good defensively.

If a team pays him money to put up 15+ goals, be physical and be steady on the back end they're end up buying him out.

If the habs completely strike out on everyone I'd sign Penner. 1.5 for 1 year. Give him a chance.
By always I mean since his minor league days.

And why would we give Penner a chance? He blew enough of them already, I don't want that floater anywhere near this team.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:30 PM
kempie

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Don't see him signing for the Habs... Spacek must had done a "great" sale (and sale in French) job, to convince Allen NOT to consider Montreal.
Yeah good point. I never thought of that. He'd be a real nice fit for a few years though.

kempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Ford Prefect

I honestly don't see the Habs pursuing, nevermind signing any notable free agents. With an incoming regime, they are going to want to re-evaluate the roster and would undoubtedly

There are also a series of atrocious contracts that need to be cleared - Gomez, Kaberle, Bourque... Until those are dealt with, the team's hands are kind of tied. Combine this with the completely underwhelming UFA class (especially compared to how 2013 is developing) and the uncertain new CBA, I don't expect anything remarkable. I don't think there is anyone on the market that will drastically change the fortunes of this team and instantly make them better. I say get rid of some of these contracts via attrition, draft well in the next two drafts, be aggressive in '13 UFA market, and you're laughing.

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Beakermania*

The '12 class looked a lot better at this time last year than it looks now.

Counting on waiting for a better UFA class is foolish, the top guys sign extensions regularly

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:44 AM
Habitants

Parenteau, P-A

on off if not trade bourque for upgrade?

need DefD

Grossman, Nicklas
Sarich, Cory
Jackman, Barret
O'Brien, Shane
Garrison, Jason

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:02 AM
whismer

Grossman and Garrisson or plan B Obrien

Subban-Georges
Markov- Garrison
Emelin-Grossman
Diaz

Add Doan and Gaustard up front

Cole-DD-MaxPac
Doan-Pleks-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Gaustad
Staubitz-Leblanc-Blunden-White-Geoffrion- ??

I will prefer to put Leblanc with Dogs since a lot of young guys is coming and I want them to work together as the next generation

Trade Kaberle, Weber, and Bourque

whismer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Because Semin isn't a winner and seems to have had attitude problems. Jagr is a proven winner, one of the all time best players to ever play in the NHL and he can be a great leader to our young locker room
If you listen to the naysayers Jagr is a moody pouty player. I think Semin could be rejuvenated in a new city, especially one with passion like Montreal.

Old
03-31-2012, 09:06 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
If you listen to the naysayers Jagr is a moody pouty player. I think Semin could be rejuvenated in a new city, especially one with passion like Montreal.
I like Semin, but I don't see him signing in Montreal, he'll probably want to sign somewhere where he would finaly got a chance to play with a really good centerman, I'm not saying Plekanec and DD are bad but they aren't exactly high profile players.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
O'Brien-Diaz would be good imo.
lol does Diaz have anything to do with anything?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote