HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 unrestricted free agents

Old
03-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Habsoil

vCash: 500
I could handle penner on the cheap! Semin, ahhh, not a flippin chance. Unless we can sign him for 2.5 mil or less. Heartless piece o crap

Habsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:27 AM
Habsoil

Semin would be another story of " he done real good til he came to mtl" jeez do we need another one of those?

Old
03-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Cole-DD-MaxPac
Radulov-Pleks-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Yakupov
Artyukhin LL Staubitz

Last edited by Habaneros: 03-31-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Penner, Semin, geez people over here like winners, I see.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Habsoil

You wouldnt take penner for 2 mil or less? Moens goin to get that.

Old
03-31-2012, 08:44 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
You wouldnt take penner for 2 mil or less? Moens goin to get that.
Moen>>>Penner

Penner is a heartless, fat piece of garbage. Moen has a role and plays it very well which is why he was so coveted at the deadline.

The cat is out of the bag with Penner.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Semin would be another story of " he done real good til he came to mtl" jeez do we need another one of those?
ummmmm.....he is despised by teammates and fans for his absolutely pathetic work ethic.

He wouldn't have far to fall.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Miller Time

Suter/Parise @ 5-7years in the 7-8M$ range
* this would demand that we extend both Price/Subban on ~5year deals @ ~6M for Price/~5M$ Subban (otherwise, if we get them shorter term for less, we won't be able to keep them when their next deal comes up).

Parise - Pleks - Bourque
MaxPac - DD - Cole
Leblanc - Eller - Gionta
Moen - White - Blunden/Geoffrion

Subban - Suter
Markov - Gorges
Diaz - Emelin
Weber

short of that fantasy...

Jagr or Whitney 1 yr @ 4-4.5M$
Gaustad, 3yrs @ 2.5M$

Stuart or Jackman, 2-4 yrs @ <4.25M$
or
Allen/Grossman, 2-4yrs @ <3.75M$

Jagr/Whitney - Pleks - Bourque
MaxPac - DD - Cole
Leblanc - Eller - Gionta
Moen - Gaustad - White
Blunden/Geoffrion

Subban - Stuart/Jackman (Grossman/Allen)
Markov- Gorges
Diaz - Emelin
Weber

& if those aren't possible... reclamation projects:

Penner/Boyes/Huselius, 1yr @ ~2M$

O'Brien/Souray/Zanon/Saarich, 1-3 yrs @ <2.5M$
or White/Hannan/Other veteran physical depth dman, 1-2yrs <1.25M$

Penner/Boyes/Huselius - Pleks - Bourque
MaxPac - DD - Cole
Leblanc - Eller - Gionta
Moen - White - Blunden/Geoffrion

Subban - Gorges
Markov- Emelin (O'brien/Souray/Zanon/Saarich)
Diaz - Emelin (White/Hannan)
Weber

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:52 AM
LeMAD

We need two solid veteran dmen or we miss the playoffs again. Weber/Emelin/St-Denis are not the solution.

But of course no one wants to sign with a last place team, so we will miss the playoffs again...

Edit: Oh and can we stop including guys like Penner and Semin? Thanks.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:59 AM
smon

If Roy is hired then there is a very good chance of getting Radulov. Nashville is presumably more focused with signing Weber and Suter.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

We should stay far away from the UFA market, and build the team patiently with the right moves. A piece via trade here, a piece via the draft here, and maybe later someone actually worth it wants to sign with a Montreal team on the upswing. Anyone who signs with us right now is likely gonna be a mercenary going after the most cash. We'll finish at the bottom of the league this season and won't attract winners this summer, only mercenaries and losers.

Building a cup contending team can't be done in one summer. We have some decent pieces but are missing quite a bit to actually become a top team. We simply do not have the game breaking talent up front we need to be a top team.

Plus you can't expect the new management to come in and understand exactly what needs to be done right away 1-2 months after arriving. I really hope we stay quiet on the UFA front this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
If Roy is hired then there is a very good chance of getting Radulov. Nashville is presumably more focused with signing Weber and Suter.
That would be a potential exception.

If Roy thought he could make Radulov become the star he was meant to be in Montreal and we wanted to target him this summer, I'd have no problem with that. Plus I'd like it if we could stick it to the preds after Trotz's comments.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
We should stay far away from the UFA market, and build the team patiently with the right moves. A piece via trade here, a piece via the draft here, and maybe later someone actually worth it wants to sign with a Montreal team on the upswing. Anyone who signs with us right now is likely gonna be a mercenary going after the most cash. We'll finish at the bottom of the league this season and won't attract winners this summer, only mercenaries and losers.

Building a cup contending team can't be done in one summer. We have some decent pieces but are missing quite a bit to actually become a top team. We simply do not have the game breaking talent up front we need to be a top team.

Plus you can't expect the new management to come in and understand exactly what needs to be done right away 1-2 months after arriving. I really hope we stay quiet on the UFA front this summer.

If Roy thought he could make Radulov become the star he was meant to be in Montreal and we wanted to target him this summer, I'd have no problem with that. Plus I'd like it if we could stick it to the preds after Trotz's comments.

No. Scott Gomez contract needs to be buried and that cap hit has to be given to ryan suter. Simple as that.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
RFA, so we'd be giving draft picks?

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
No. Scott Gomez contract needs to be buried and that cap hit has to be given to ryan suter. Simple as that.
Why does Suter chose Montreal over the 10 other teams who will offer him contracts? Including maybe Detroit

Old
03-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Guilliam

Yeah, I don't want us to go to crazy on the UFA market either. Parise is the only one I'd break the bank for because he is an elite talent.

I wouldn't sign a UFA D to a long multimillion deal. I'd try to trade Kaberle and/or Werber/Diaz for a stay at home D with one or 2 years left on his contract as a stop-gap before Tinordi, Beaulieu and Ellis are ready.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Adrenaline28

Quote:

Which comments are you speaking of?

Adrenaline28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline28 View Post
Which comments are you speaking of?
When he said something along the lines of "the habs gave them another top 6 player for free".

Old
03-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Because Semin isn't a winner and seems to have had attitude problems. Jagr is a proven winner, one of the all time best players to ever play in the NHL and he can be a great leader to our young locker room
Quote:
I could handle penner on the cheap! Semin, ahhh, not a flippin chance. Unless we can sign him for 2.5 mil or less. Heartless piece o crap
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
ummmmm.....he is despised by teammates and fans for his absolutely pathetic work ethic.

He wouldn't have far to fall.
By all accounts Gomez is well liked in the room, has a great attitude.

Semin can flat out play the game.

As far as the "not a winner" argument - by the same token, would you not take Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson or Alzner on the Habs? I remember Laich being a popular UFA target on these boards last summer...

BTW, Semin's ppg during the regular season: .87 - during the playoffs: .81. Doesn't seem to me like he has a history of packing it in.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Andy

Quote:
When he said something along the lines of "the habs gave them another top 6 player for free".
Interesting comments from him since Nashville has been giving away players for pretty much nothing for quite some time now. Hamhuis, Hartnell, Timonen, Rich Peverely, Upshall, Zanon (though the 1st round pick for Timonen and Hartnell did turn into Blum).

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:54 PM
NLHabsFan

I think it depends on what Molson wants the new GM to do. If he wants to rebuild with youth and through the draft than the UFA period will be a quiet one. If he tells the new GM to go for it and they are willing to spend: ie. front loading contracts and burying salary into the minors, than it will be a busy offseason. If he wants to go for for it and the big names are what he targets than I think it starts at the draft. If Parise and Suter are not signed by than you trade for their rights and offer them long term front loaded deals. 9-10 mil in salary up front with a cap hit in the 6 - 7 mil range. Parise is a game breaking talent that Montreal hasn't had in a long time and Suter is a #1 dman. Both will change the talent level on the team exponentially. Of course this would mean Gomez and Kabrele being gone somehow. I wouldn't bother buying out either. You either find a team that is willing to trade for them at an extremely low cost, or tell both their agents that they will not be on the team next season, a buy out is not an option and that they are allowed to speak to other teams about a potential trade or picking them up on waivers (not re-entry) and if nothing available they will be playing in the A.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Plekanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I see what you did thare!
Semin would be another Andrei Krostetines here.

Plekanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:24 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanov View Post
I see what you did thare!
Semin would be another Andrei Krostetines here.
Semin is already another Kostitsyn in Washington...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
We just finished in the basement of the league. What kind of loser would want to sign with us ? Suter will get equal money elsewhere if not more since he'd pay more taxes here so why would he pick us ? Signing players isn't done unilaterally.

Plus you have to realize that while Suter is the best UFA available on the market this summer, there will be better ones in the future. Do we want to have already committed to other players if/when they become available ? Crosby is a huge fan of the habs and he'll be an UFA in not too long. Maybe he'll hit the market, who knows. I'd certainly want to be part of the teams vying for his services should he become available. And if it's not Crosby, it could be Shea Weber, or other players better than Suter.

It's just such a bad time to make huge commitments to players like Suter, not that I see any reason for him to want to come here anyway.

Old
03-31-2012, 02:20 PM
The Right Price

I would really try to steal Carle or Grossmann from the Flyers.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:36 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
I would really try to steal Carle or Grossmann from the Flyers.
Carle is a good player but is rumored to be looking for Wisniewski money. I dont think he's worth that. If he comes cheaper, maybe. I also want more of a physical guy than him.

Grossmann? my #2 choice behind Jackman. I like Grossmann a lot