HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#78 | SABRES vs PENGUINS | FRI MAR 30 | 7:30PM ET

Old
03-30-2012, 06:38 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
#78 | SABRES vs PENGUINS | FRI MAR 30 | 7:30PM ET

GDT#78: SABRES (38-29-10) vs PENGUINS (47-24-6) – FRI MAR 30 – 7:30PM ET – MSG-B, ROOT (Full Story)

(AP) – The Buffalo Sabres' longest winning streak in over two years has them charging into a playoff spot, but a key
injury creates another obstacle.

The Pittsburgh Penguins' run at first place in the Eastern Conference has stalled.

The Sabres will need to withstand the absence of defenseman Christian Ehrhoff if they're going to regain sole
possession of eighth place in the East when they host the Penguins on Friday night.

A 6-2 home victory over Pittsburgh on Feb. 19 started a 14-2-3 run for Buffalo (38-29-10), which has won five straight
to move into a tie with Washington for the conference's final playoff spot.

The Sabres have a game in hand on the Capitals, and beat them 5-1 on Tuesday for their longest winning streak since
a six-game run from Dec. 27, 2009-Jan. 8, 2010.

"It's a great thing because of the way we're playing," right wing Drew Stafford said. "We can control our fate now. We
know every game from now on is just like it's been the past month or so - it's must-win."

That job will likely be made more difficult with Ehrhoff out indefinitely after hurting his left knee when he knocked knees
with the Capitals' Troy Brouwer in the first period.

The defenseman's importance was evident earlier this season when he missed 11 games with a rib injury and Buffalo
went 2-7-2.

"I think dealing with one injury is maybe better than what we had to deal with in the past," said coach Lindy Ruff, who
at one point was missing as many as nine regulars. "We have to deal with it. We have to face a little adversity, and we
need players to step up."

The Penguins were getting plenty of that during a 14-1-1 run that moved them within a point of the conference-
leading New York Rangers. They've cooled significantly since, getting swept in a home-and-home set with the last-
place New York Islanders following Thursday's 5-3 loss.
STREAKING SABRES, PENGUINS COLLIDE (Full Story)

(Buffalo News) – Mike Weber, a Pittsburgh native, called his dad recently for a chat. Rick Weber said the locals have
been going crazy for the Penguins, especially now that Sidney Crosby is back.

"There's always excitement in that city when you've got as a good of a team as they do," Mike Weber said Thursday.

The Buffalo defenseman and his teammates get a chance tonight to see how good the Penguins are playing. On the
flip side of the puck, the Sabres get to show the Pens how good they are, too.

Two of the hottest teams in the NHL collide in First Niagara Center with plenty on the line. The Sabres are trying to
regain the Eastern Conference playoff spot they earned this week. The Pens are angling to claim the No. 1 spot in the
conference.

"It's going to be an extremely fun game," said Weber, who will return to the lineup in place of injured defenseman
Christian Ehrhoff. "It's really playoff hockey right now. Teams are ramped up and playing extremely solid. We've just
got to keep playing the way we've been playing."

The Sabres are on a run that borders on ridiculous. They have won five straight and are 7-0-2 in the last nine. That is
part of a 14-2-4 rally that dates to Feb. 17 and a 19-5-5 surge going back to Jan. 24.

Pittsburgh is one of the few teams that can go back even further for its streak. After losing Thursday at the New York
Islanders, it is 26-7-2 since Jan. 13.
FAN APPRECIATION NIGHT PRECEDES GAME AGAINST PENGUINS (Full Story)

(Buffalo News) – Fans who head to First Niagara Center tonight will get the chance to see two of the hottest teams in
hockey -- and get a chance to walk away with coach Lindy Ruff's tie.

The meeting between the Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins coincides with Fan Appreciation Night. The event will begin
at 5 p.m. with a free Party in the Plaza featuring local band Strictly Hip. Fans without tickets can stay in the plaza to
watch the game on two large video screens.

The Sabres Store will have fan-appreciation prices in effect throughout the night. Ticket-holders can take advantage
of family friendly food prices inside the arena from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.

The 50-50 raffle to benefit the Sabres' alumni and team foundations will have a guaranteed prize of at least $25,000.
Following the game, the players will give away the jersey off their back to winning fans in an on-ice ceremony. One fan
will receive a game-worn tie from Ruff. On-ice festivities before the game will include player awards voted on by the
team.

Perry Street will be closed between Main and Illinois streets during the plaza party. The Illinois Street entrances to the
First Niagara Center parking ramp will remain accessible via South Park Avenue and Perry Street.

The Sabres have signed one of the top collegiate scorers in the nation, agreeing to a one-year, entry-level deal with
Brian Flynn worth $925,000. The center was captain of the University of Maine.
PENGUINS NOTEBOOK: STARTING GOALIE VS. SABRES UNCLEAR (Full Story)

(Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) – Coach Dan Bylsma hasn't announced who will be in goal tonight for the Penguins when
they play the Buffalo Sabres at First Niagara Center.

He even said Thursday that he "will consider" calling on Marc-Andre Fleury, who faced the New York Islanders
Thursday at Nassau Coliseum, three times in less than four days, as the Penguins follow up the games against the
Islanders and Sabres with one at home at 12:30 p.m. Sunday against the Philadelphia Flyers.

Still, the front-runner to start at the First Niagara Center appears to be veteran Brent Johnson, who missed 17 games
with an undisclosed injury before backing up Fleury Thursday night.

Johnson, who has not played since Feb. 19 in Buffalo, took part in the game-day skate at Nassau Coliseum, then
stayed on the ice for some additional work.

If the idea was to determine whether his sweat glands still function, he passed the test, because the perspiration was
pouring off him when he returned to the locker room.

"I got a good [workout Wednesday] and a really good one [Thursday]," he said. "If I get a chance to play [in Buffalo],
I'm going to take it.

"It's just a game where I have to step in there, if I do get a chance to play, and help the guys get a [victory. The
Sabres] are playing really well, so I think it would be a really good challenge for myself."

BUFFALO SABRES

Lineup News & Notes (News)

Above, LW1 is #82 Marcus Foligno. Matt Ellis (knee), Nathan Gerbe (upper body) and Mike Weber were scratched in
Buffalo's last game, a 5-1 win over Washington on Tuesday. Jochen Hecht (concussion) also missed Tuesday's game
and remains out indefinitely along with Ellis and Gerbe. Christian Ehrhoff (knee) will also miss tonight's game after
knocking knees with a Washington forward in Tuesday's game. The Sabres are expected to start Ryan Miller in goal
tonight against the Penguins.

Weekly Transactions

Buffalo returned Travis Turnbull to AHL/Rochester on Tuesday. Buffalo announced the signing of Brian Flynn to a one-
year ELC on Thursday

According to the Stats

Buffalo are: 31-3-2 when allowing two or fewer goals; 29-4-4 when scoring three or more; 21-4-6 when Derek Roy
records a point; 20-4-1 when Christian Ehrhoff records a point; 14-1-5 when Tyler Ennis records a point; and 7-1-2 in
their last ten games.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Lineup News & Notes (News)

Dustin Jeffrey, Kris Letang (lower body), Ben Lovejoy (knee), Matt Niskanen (upper body), Richard Park and Joe Vitale
(upper body) were scratched in Pittsburgh's last game, a 5-3 loss to the Islanders on Thursday. Letang will not play
tonight, as he did not make the road trip to Long Island or Buffalo. The Penguins are expected to start backup Brent
Johnson in goal tonight versus the Sabres.

Weekly Transactions

Pittsburgh returned Brad Thiessen to AHL/Wilkes-Barres/Scranton on Thursday.

According to the Stats

Pittsburgh are: 6-3-1 in their last ten games.

BUFFALO SABRES

1. Can this team ACTUALLY do it? (ALL PLAYOFF CHASE DISCUSSION HERE) <26000 views>

2. #1C no longer a top priority? <3250 views>

3. Brian Flynn has signed with Sabres <2000 views>

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS (Forum)

1. Art Ross Race Thread <7000 views>

2. I uh... Wouldn't be heartbroken if we dropped our game on Friday vs. Buffalo <2500 views>

3. This Team Caters to Crosby Way Too Much <2250 views>

A/V CLUB

03/29: Ted Black joins the Howard Simon Show. <22:15>

03/29: Marcus Foligno talks to the media following Buffalo's practice at First Niagara Center. <3:47>

03/29: Derek Roy talks to the media following Buffalo's practice at First Niagara Center. <2:27>

03/29: Lindy Ruff talks to the media following Buffalo's practice at First Niagara Center. <4:08>

03/29: Darcy Regier talks to Gary Bettman on NHL Hour. <15:10>

03/29: Michelle Crechiolo of PensTV previews tomorrow's game in Buffalo. <1:32>

03/30: Tyler Ennis talks to the media before Buffalo's game against Pittsburgh. <3:01>

03/30: Jordan Leopold talks to the media before Buffalo's game against Pittsburgh. <2:50>

03/30: Derek Roy talks to the media before Buffalo's game against Pittsburgh. <1:37>

03/30: Mike Weber talks to the media before Buffalo's game against Pittsburgh. <1:47>

03/30: Lindy Ruff talks to the media before Buffalo's game against Pittsburgh. <4:23>

03/30: Kevin Sylvester previews tonight's game from First Niagara Center. <1:43>

03/30: Steve Mears previews tonight's game from PensTV studios. <2:03>

GAMEDAY CHAT

IRC Server: irc.esper.net ... Channel: #sabres ... If you have questions: FYI - Sabres Chat

GAMEDAY STREAMS

GameCenter Live (subscription required); FirstRowSports and Wiziwig

Last edited by Woodhouse: 03-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Danny Gare, Tom Draper, Scott Pearson, Derek Plante and Andrew Peters will be inside the Tailgate Tent // Party in the Plaza. Giveaways at tonight's game include the following:

And a balloon drop of 700 prizes:

Old
03-30-2012, 06:52 AM
rbochan

vCash: 500
Get 2 points.

rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:54 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

How can we possibly lose when DEREK F'ING PLANTE is in the house?!?!?!

Channel the ghost of Tugnutt tonight. Get the 2 points. Break Washington's spirit.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Just win.

03-30-2012, 07:04 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Bust a cap in the Caps!!!

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:07 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

These GDT's are the bees knees.

2pts needed. My neighbor talked me into trading last weeks Wild game for this one. Thus, I predict a victory that will be filed somewhere between E for epic and F for fantabulous.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
A win here is just absolutely huge. Winning against a team of this caliber and keeping pace above Washington would go a looooong way to keeping this push in their own pocket. Pittsburgh's had a bit of a rough stretch these past 4 games and I think they're gonna come out hungry, luckily they played last night and two out of the past 3 days.

This is the first match-up in quite a long while that actually worries me, but I still believe they'll win. If the Ennis line can be productive they'll have a great chance, with the help of some other guys chipping in, to take this one.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:18 AM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

damn Woodhouse, you scared me! I thought someone was going to bust out a minimalistic GDT or something...

win this. keep on rolling, boys!!!

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:54 AM
CrankyJay

Sabres can show their appreciation of the fans with a win tonight. Plain and simple.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Pittsburgh native Mike Weber getting the start tonight and I expect him to be jacked. He's put a heavy hit on Crosby once before, I'm hoping he can do it again and make him groggy.

Pens should be tired on back-to-backs, 3 games in 4 nights, and Fluery started last night so Thiessen should start. Boston laid down for the Caps last night so it's only fitting that Pitt comes in worn out and ripe for a beat down.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:09 AM
notHiro

If we lose in regulation, this game is as big as the Washington win.

notHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:15 AM
sabresfan129103

gotta keep pace with the Caps. Pittsburgh played last night, so they have to take advantage of that.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Just get a point please.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Endless

MUST get points out of this one

Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Hopefully there isn't some extended ceremony before puck drop... home team almost always loses.

Crosby scores to spark obligatory Olympic reference... but the B&G take this one 5-1.

MaFo x2
CoHo
TV
Weber

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:10 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Forget the post-St.Louis Blues-game-locker-room-Pommers-talk, etc.,

WHAT'S the Sabres record since Woodhouse started the GDT's???

Someone get this man a bodyguard, multi-vitamins, flak jacket, biological contamination suit, ninja pajamas, swiss army knife, and herbal supplements.

edit: One more Woodhouse - I think it's 17-5-4

Last edited by brian_griffin: 03-30-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Woodhouse is da-man!!
brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Forget the post-St.Louis Blues-game-locker-room-Pommers-talk, etc.,

WHAT'S the Sabres record since Woodhouse started the GDT's???

Someone get this man a bodyguard, multi-vitamins, flak jacket, biological contamination suit, ninja pajamas, swiss army knife, and herbal supplements.
I believe it's 16-5-4 (.720) in the ones I've created.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

FYI, any of you that can make it downtown to the Sabres store today, there'll be discounted merchandise today ... 40% off all 40th anniversary apparel ... 25% off primary logo jerseys or headwear.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:27 AM
TheBeesKnees

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
These GDT's are the bees knees.

2pts needed. My neighbor talked me into trading last weeks Wild game for this one. Thus, I predict a victory that will be filed somewhere between E for epic and F for fantabulous.
You rang?

TheBeesKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:30 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300

They scoring hard because that's what they need to maintain

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeesKnees View Post
You rang?
You registered over a month ago and waited to make your first post this? I'm now trying to imagine how long you might have had to wait for this setup.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
TheBeesKnees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
You registered over a month ago and waited to make your first post this? I'm now trying to imagine how long you might have had to wait for this setup.
lol, I've been lurking for a couple years now, just decided to register in case I ever wanted to post...seemed like a good time

TheBeesKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:42 AM
fing0rz

Biggest game of the year.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote