HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Kane purchases a $2.6 million dollar mansion in Hamburg

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2012, 01:02 PM
dire wolf
be cool

vCash: 500
Sorry, but that house is Chee-Z. Can't buy class, Patty.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:41 PM
kevrochucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
From a real estate perspective, it's a terrible buy.
Real estate is funny. I live in Santa Barbara and it isn't uncommon for a place to go for over 10 million, and I remember someones property going for 36 million. 2.6 mil here would get you a pretty decent 4 or 5 bedroom house, or a 2 or 3 bedroom place with a nice view... I wish I had money like that...

Old
03-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Kruschiki

It's certainly not an investment. Must be for the family.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:14 PM
littletonhockeycoach

All I can say is this craps on my plans to move back to Buffalo post retirement.......

People start paying these prices and I'm going to end up having to live in the Fruit Belt

Old
03-30-2012, 03:16 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
It's certainly not an investment. Must be for the family.
Buffalo has one of the best real estate markets in the country.

http://www.inman.com/news/2011/03/11...011?page=0%2C1

Old
03-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Stanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
All I can say is this craps on my plans to move back to Buffalo post retirement.......

People start paying these prices and I'm going to end up having to live in the Fruit Belt
by the time you retire, the Fruit Belt might be pretty nice, actually.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:01 PM
slip

Quote:
From a real estate perspective, it's a terrible buy.
Right? Good luck flipping that property for a profit.

Old
03-31-2012, 07:32 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Right? Good luck flipping that property for a profit.
Well....look at the property values around it. The house sticks out like a sore thumb and the property values of the houses in the area will drag it down.

Old
04-01-2012, 08:02 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I doubt he's really worried about that.

Old
04-01-2012, 10:31 AM
lovemynephews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
It's a nice house in a nice area. I love that area of Hamburg.
I know exactly where this house is, he must have admired it as we all did while driving past it. Buffalo is a great place to live, we always hear what a rotten city it is from the likes of Tom Brady, but they have never lived in Buffalo. They have no clue what a close community we are, and the love we have for our sports teams. I can see why Kane would want to stay home. Maybe some day he will wear the Blue and Gold as Kaleta. At least they know what the fans want from growing up in Buffalo and rooting on the Sabres themselves as youngsters. A lot of great hockey players coming out of the Buffalo area, they have a great system and Buffalo knows and lives for Hockey. I'm proud to be a Sabres fan and proud to come from Buffalo NY.

Old
04-01-2012, 10:42 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

When you're 23 years old, making $19M guaranteed over the next 3 years, and knowing full well that you probably have one more fat contract to sign at 26, the LAST thing on your mind is worrying about appreciation on your sub $3M home.

Old
04-01-2012, 08:30 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I doubt he's really worried about that.
They never are, until the checks stop rolling in and the bills start piling up. Some of these guys act like lotto winners and not professionals earning a generous salary for a finite period of time.

Old
04-01-2012, 08:47 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
When you're 23 years old, making $19M guaranteed over the next 3 years, and knowing full well that you probably have one more fat contract to sign at 26, the LAST thing on your mind is worrying about appreciation on your sub $3M home.
Unfortunately, he probably should be thinking about it.

Old
04-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Flophound

Quote:
Well....look at the property values around it. The house sticks out like a sore thumb and the property values of the houses in the area will drag it down.
Well, obviously, it's the third most expensive home ever sold in the area.

Old
04-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Flophound

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Buying a three million dollar home is hardly the behavior described in that article. They actually state real estate is a wiser investment than those making athletes go broke.

Old
04-01-2012, 08:58 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flophound View Post
Buying a three million dollar home is hardly the behavior described in that article. They actually state real estate is a wiser investment than those making athletes go broke.
Yeah, sorry, the article isn't the best; my intention was to point out the high rate of bankruptcy among former professional athletes. And, like others have mentioned, buying a three million dollar home in that area isn't exactly a wise real estate investment.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:00 PM
ryanbiggame*

Send a message via AIM to ryanbiggame* Send a message via Skype™ to ryanbiggame*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
He'll probably let his parents and cousins use it during the season too.

Kid's from SoBo, he probably has 372 family members living within a 15-minute drive
He worked at Imperial Pizza too when he was in South Buffalo, fyi the greatest pizza in buffalo. He's a good player, but I question his character and other "things" that roam around the grapevine here in Buffalo, kid needs to mature, maybe get a good asskicking too?

Then again... I think thats every buffalo hockey players dream, to skate on FNC's ice with the best of the best.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Flophound

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, the article isn't the best; my intention was to point out the high rate of bankruptcy among former professional athletes. And, like others have mentioned, buying a three million dollar home in that area isn't exactly a wise real estate investment.
True. I'm just happy when big spenders pump money into western new york. It's fairly unbelievable only two other homes have sold for more in the area.

I live in st. Louis right now, which can be somewhat of a **** hole (would love to get back to Buffalo) and there's lots of homes in the city in the 2mil range.

Old
04-02-2012, 02:50 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Maybe the guy just loves Buffalo. I've only lived here for a year and already want to spend the rest on my life here, so I can only imagine the attachment someone who was born here must feel.

Hamburg also seems like a good place to raise a family. I teach in the district and would be very happy if my [eventual] kids could grow up there.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:06 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubinstache View Post
Maybe the guy just loves Buffalo. I've only lived here for a year and already want to spend the rest on my life here, so I can only imagine the attachment someone who was born here must feel.

Hamburg also seems like a good place to raise a family. I teach in the district and would be very happy if my [eventual] kids could grow up there.
That makes me so ****ing happy for some reason, you have no idea. Awesome. And cheers to that, sir.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:25 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
That makes me so ****ing happy for some reason, you have no idea. Awesome. And cheers to that, sir.
Oddly enough, I moved here from the lower Hudson Valley (Mahopac).

Old
04-02-2012, 06:41 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Why? He can take a chunk of his salary, toss it in conservative investments, and make 3%-5% yearly without thinking about it.

His dream home in the area where he grew up isn't a financial move. It's an 'I made it' move.

Plus, we know he's thrifty with his money.....[insert cabbie joke here].

Old
04-02-2012, 07:29 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
What jBuds said. If only I could move back.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:48 AM
static80

Quote:

Indeed the Western New York Region is a well kept secret in so far as the reputation that proceeds it and I am more than happy you have found it to your liking.

There are many attributes to the region which are rarely, if ever, mentioned.
It is good to know others who come in and see the area for what it really is still occurs occasionally. It's a start and is more than over due.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:06 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
They never are, until the checks stop rolling in and the bills start piling up. Some of these guys act like lotto winners and not professionals earning a generous salary for a finite period of time.
I don't see this purchase as an example of that.

I see this as a retirement home that, if he paid cash for it, won't be a huge problem.

Now if he buys two or three other $1M+ homes and mortgages all of them....

The key for a pro hockey player with the skills that Kane has, staying away from "buddies" that come at you with horrible business deals that are money losers is the #1 thing to avoid.

Also, not spending big money on a home in Chicago would be a good move, too. I know of one current NHL captain that lost a fair amount of money when he left his first NHL team as a UFA and sold his house for a loss.

Although, I didn't feel sorry for him when his wife was whining about it during a hockey camp a couple of years ago.

Closed Thread