HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 1)

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Libbs

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 1)

The season ended last night in a brutal 8-3 loss to the Knights and a sweep of the series.

Next up is a very important OHL Priority draft. The 5th overall pick should produce a franchise style player. Many believe Ho Sang is our guy. Rumor has it, that Ho Snag's Twitter picture was the WFCU center... but it has since changed back. Rumors are flying about a possible coo with the Schmaltz brothers.

Then there is the question of the Import Draft. Spits select 15th overall, except there's one problem; Spits already has 2 quality Imports in Khokhlachev and Pavelka. With the need of more scoring, my money is on Pavelka being moved. Could he even be packaged with our Import selection and dealt to Kingston for their Import selection (6th Overall)?

Leaving us for sure are MacQueen (and his stupid penalties), Cullen, and Holden.

Possible OA's include: Posa, Braithwaite, Czinder. Rumor has it that we get a choice of SSM's OA's so I can bet Czinder and his hair will not be back with us.

List of non OA returnees:

Defense- Ebert, Devlin, Bateman, Bowen, McNaughten

Forward- Khokhlachev, Rychel, Vail, Marchese, Johnson, Clarke, Alonge, Maletta, McCann, Bilcke, Smith, Studnika

Goalies- Pavelka, Dekort

Not sure what the roster turnover will be like but McCann has to be gone. He brought very little to the table outside of being Kerby's buddy. We can't afford to waste a forward spot on a guy that has 0 goals and no other intangibles.

This season is going to be huge. The events this summer need to unfold and we need a big year from the players on the ice if we want to secure the hosting gig for the 2014 Memorial Cup.

Last edited by Libbs: 03-30-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old
03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
RayzorIsDull

Nice thread Libbs, the offseason will be very interesting but far too long if you get my drift.

I forgot about McNaughton not sure he can really be in the plans though. The defense as it is has a lot of returnees to make room for McNaughton one would have to go which might be a guy like Bowen but that's not a big issue. If the Schmaltz thing ever came to fruition I doubt you would see McNaughton at all. McNaughton may end up being a 7th D that ends up being phased out of the plans.

McCann has to go 53 games this year 0 goals. Thought to be a PK guy but the PK wasn't very good this year. He's not to blame for that but when your value is thought to be on the PK and the unit isn't very good and you don't add much value elsewhere it's time to move on.

Bilcke, Smith and Alonge I think 2 can stay but 1 has to go. Have a battle royale at camp the 2 best left standing get to stick the other has to go.

Nick Czinder you made improvements in your game but not enough to warrant an overage spot next year. For a 6'5 241 pound guy you play very soft at times.

Brandon Devlin you have been advertised as the future shutdown D guy for Windsor. Well next year it's time to start carving out that niche. At times you were okay but you were a healthy scratch in the playoffs, you tried to play fancy and you got outworked by a 16 year old in Bo Horvat for a goal. Lots of work to be done in your game.

There will be more thoughts as this offseason has just begun.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Ottomatic

While Ho-Sang would be a great addition, I'm actually more excited about the possible coup of landing the Schmaltz boys. Jordan is mocked to go in the late first round of the NHL draft and would be the #1 defenceman and PP quarterback this team desperately needs. Now Jordan would expect to be a one-and-done here and sign an AHL contract with his pro team, but his pro team might disagree with his time table and Jordan might find playing here isn't so bad.

Nick would be a top ten pick for the OHL draft if he committed to playing in the league and for any team.

It all sounds too good to be true really. Ho-Sang, Jordan Schmaltz and Nick Schmaltz. WR should look to trade up in the second just to really lock this possibility down if it is legit - I wouldn't want to risk a team pissed off at the deal making to draft Nick just to block this from happening.

Trade one of our 3rds and our late second from Niagara to move up as high as possible into the second to get Nick.

I don't know what we do with our import situation - I think it's terrible to jerk around Pavelka, but we need to move him to bring in a 17 yr old forward. Pav is good enough to start in this league on a bad team, but we're handcuffed by the import limit.

Does Czinder have any trade value? Do we bring back Czinder, Posa, Braitwaite and Findlay and let them battle it out for the three spots during camp?

I still think Clarke will be moved this off-season to get a two year goalie.

Rychel|Khokhlachev|Import
Johnson|Vail|Maletta
Marchese|Finlay*|Ho-Sang
Alonge|Studnicka|Schmaltz
Bilcke|Smith

Schmaltz-Ebert
Posa-Bateman
Braithwaite-Devlin
Bowen-McNaughton

New #1 (Clarke trade)*
DeKort
Kuchemy

*I'd rather not bring Finlay over, keep the pick and plug Clarke in here. We'd open up an OA spot for a goalie acquisition.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:30 AM
hockeylegend11

LAYERNo doubt Pavelka will be moved Spits will either take a forward or a Dman in the Euro draft,Tolchinsky or Haag would be the 2 I look at
Haag to me would be our Ollie Mataa,whereas Tolchinsky brings flair and skill up front
From what i have been hearing its going to be quite an offseason particularly the drafts- entry/euro
possible trades,draft manipulations,overage implications,american signings{maybe} ,free agent signings,if u can get a guy like Ben Johnson again do it
Actually I was impressed with the free agent signings,with Johnson,Alonge and Kuchmey added to the folded and not costing a thing
I do think players such as McCann and Smith will have a tough time cracking the squad
To me Smith needs further seasoning,I know a summer of power skating is in store for him,should only make him better
I was more impressed with Sam Studnicka,needs to strengthen up but I like his spunk and he did show improvement
The same can be said for D-man John Bowen,some improvement was shown by the end of the season,I like his toughness,and his physicality,I know he will be here this summer to keep his improvement on track
I expect every single player returning to improve,hopefully all will return stronger,bigger and faster
This years 16 year olds Maletta,Bateman Studnicka and Smith need to get stronger
Considerable improvement by Vail,Rychel,Clarke was evident,that trio scored 10 goals last yr,though only played 8 games,this past season they scored 78 goals
Ben Johnson started slowly goal/pt wise but finished strong with 18 goals,and i expect his production will climb
Chris Marchese has the talent,once he puts the desire into place,his contributions will increase
D-man Nick Ebert has to come into camp in top shape,hopefully he can play like the last third of the season,where he showed finally why he was rated highly early in the season,
Brandon Devlin falls in the same category as Marchese,he has to bring it every night,consistentcy is his problem,not ability and he needs to work on it to be considered a top 4 d-man
Adam Bateman once he gains some strength will be fine,shows some nice upside,showed improvement as the season progressed
Jordan Maletta once he stayed healthy showed considerable ability at the end and into the playoffs,with a busy off season regimen I expect to see Brady Vail type improvement next year for this player
Goalies Jordan and Dalen Kuchmey played very well for their jr b teams and DeKort looked good,last game against the Soo not wthstanding,DeKort I think will be the real deal by next season
They will bring someone to play with him,as I stated previously I fully expect Pavelka to be moved
Will be interesting to see what happens here
Will the Spits lure an American player,good question,Riley Barber or Patrick Seiloff,or Andrew Maclean,a 95 born d-man who impressed at camp last summer
1 OR 2 would be nice
I fully expect the Spits to add Cen Brett Findlay from the Soo to finish off the Campbell trade,he should be good for 65-75 pts and give the offence a nice boost
Really can say alot about the draft yet maybe next week,I just know alot is going down,I have spoken to agents and other teams scouts,been getting pms all the time,so who knows whats going to happen
All I know if the Spits add Hosang and Haag/Tolchinsky along with what else is being bandied about happy times will return sooner then what most think
I cant wait to see what the next 2-3 months will bring
Buckle up Spits fans and enjoy the ride
Hows that for rallying the fanbase guys

Old
03-30-2012, 09:47 AM
RayzorIsDull

Good post legend. Part of me wants to see the D really improved but I think a lot of skill needs to be added up front. Too much size right now and not enough skill. For instance the Knights don't have a lot of size but have speed and skill. Windsor had to play rope-a-dope hockey for 2+ games to keep it close and that's fine. Boughner today said he thought they needed to open it up last night to generate more offense well we all see what happened when they opened it up. Some of it has to do with youth of course but Windsor couldn't keep up with London that game it was pretty clear. I was going to ask you about Mark Friedman since Rychel was high on him but just saw an interview and he doesn't seem interested in the OHL at all.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
hockeylegend11

Rayzor

Friedman told the Spits that he would report to him being drafted,after they selected he decided not to report
This happens all the time to teams however warren was not impressed,especially given that the Spits only had 11 picks in the 15 rd draft
It is good this year that they have 18 picks in this years draft

Old
03-30-2012, 12:19 PM
cfaub

Well a somewhat expected early end to a tough season.

Cullen, MacQueen and Holden move on. Holden had the injury when he came here but even so still think it was a move that didn’t end up doing a whole lot for the team. At times he provided a bit of calm on the back end at times he didn’t. He played decent but still did not provide what the kids needed IMO.

OAs

Brathwaite – So we brought him in at the deadline and the potential OA season we can get from him was a bonus but really he appears to be what we already had in Posa.

Posa – Not spectacular but he has come a long ways and has been steady on the back end.

Czinder – He is what he is. Can play physical if he wants to, can score a few when the effort is there. The big question is will he show more improvement going into next season or will continue to be either hot or cold for long stretches again.

Findley – If he ends up here I know he can generate some offence but is he going to make that much of a difference? Will he provide the leadership this team seems to be lacking or will he be a one way player who does not do a whole lot more then the basics we are expecting from him. I can see him working out like Holden here and being a take it or leave it kind of move. Personally I say keep the pick.

Out of those four potential OAs I would keep Posa on the D and move Braithwaite since I don’t think we need D that are virtually identical as OAs. Czinder I think gets a shot and Findley I would rather not see come in. The thing with Czinder is that while we all know his weaknesses I find it strange that there were rumours that a couple of higher ranked teams were interested in him at the deadline. Did they miss something and over rated his value or are we missing something and under rating his potential value?

93s

McCann – Time to move on IMO. He does not bring a whole lot and it is time to invest in someone who will be here as a productive OA or keep developing the younger kids.

Alonge – He showed some potential, willing to stand up for others etc. but if he is anything more than a fourth liner next season we are in trouble. If he can be replaced then replace him, if not he needs to show a lot of improvement. Was expecting an Adam Wallace type player and he got lots of ice time to show he could be more but he wasn’t much more offensively and a bit less when standing up for others. He has some potential but needs to bring it sooner than later. He has heart but is replaceable in all areas.

94s

Ebert – Made some strides in the latter half of the season offensively but still showed that he needs a lot of work on the defensive side of the puck as well on his decision making. From a kid that was once thought to be a top prospect for the NHL draft this year to someone who has dropped to somewhere between the second and fourth rounds you would think he would realize that he has major work to do. Talent is there and at times obvious but work ethic and hockey sense is questionable even after the improvements. He still appears to be lagging behind where he was last season.

Devlin – I don’t know what to think of him. He showed some promise when he came in but he also seems to be similar to Ebert in that he has a lot of work to do to keep a spot going forward. Talent is there but decision making is lacking.

Bowen – Maybe I was hoping for a bit too much but was expecting him to start developing into a Harry Young style of Dman. Definitely needs some work on his skating and hopefully can make some solid improvements over the summer otherwise, while the physical game is nice to have it is of no use if he is scratched every night.

McNaughton – Has some talent and I liked when he was up with the team. I think he gets lost in the numbers though since we already have Bateman, Ebert and Devlin who pretty much bring the same thing he does with more potential.

Rychel – What can be said. He made some huge improvements in his offensive game and we would have been in tougher than we were all year had he not been doing the scoring for us. That being said he still needs work on his play of the defensive side of the puck. He has made some improvements with it in the second half but I found that when he focused on his defensive/two way play he lost his offensive touch. If he can put the two together he can really be something in this league and going forward. Looking forward to seeing the continued improvement next season.

Vail – He has shown himself to be a solid two way player but needs to develop more consistency in his offensive game. As a 17 year old watching the other teams top line most nights I understand that it will have an affect on his numbers. Like Rychel, if he can continue to show improvement he will be fun to watch going forward. At the very least you end up with a solid shutdown center who can get a few goals when he has chances.

Marchese – Reminds me of a cross between Rychel and Ebert. Has the talent to put the puck in the net but not much of a two way game while looks to have some of Ebert’s thoughts on just how good he is. Improve the work ethic and the two way play and the talent will likely take care of itself and he could be a major contributor offensively without being a defensive liability.

Clarke – I think his main issue right now is consistency and numbers on the roster. He can play a decent game when he is on but will he improve enough to justify keeping him as part of the core going forward when more offensively gifted talent comes in? Like some others I think he becomes trade bait going forward.

Johnson – Has shown a willingness to play both sides of the puck as well as an ability to put the puck in the net. When he becomes more consistent he will definitely add something to the team. Hopefully he shows some big improvements over the summer and becomes a major factor going forward.

Bilcke – He is what I expected him to be, a kid with a lot of heart, a willingness to do whatever it takes to be a part of the team. He may never be more than a fourth liner two years out but he has shown he can be put on the ice somewhat regularly. If he is the equivalent of Greenop in 2014 that’s fine with me since he has already shown himself to be a better overall player, even with fewer points than Greenop and is willing to do what he has to.

95s

Bateman – The kid has talent, just needs to get bigger and stronger. I like him better going forward than Devlin or Ebert right now and if he can get stronger, show some natural progression he will be a nice part of the blueline in the future.

Maletta – The kid needs to stay healthy, and like Bateman gain some strength as well as show he is progressing. A good size kid with talent is always nice to have up front.

Studnicka – I think has been the biggest surprise the last few weeks. Needs to get stronger but is willing to get out there and give it his all. A 16 year old kid who played JR. B this season and saw a fairly regular shift in the playoffs against one of the top teams in the country shows the kid can play. Hopefully he has a big summer and makes for some tough decisions as to who is or is not a part of this team next season.

Smith – Was expecting to see more from him. JR. B can help a kid in their development but at the same time I think there are cases where it doesn’t help as much as it could. Smith is an example of that to me. If he had been with the team all season I think he would be further along then he currently is. He needs a big summer in order to have any chance of playing full time next season.

Imports

Khokhlachev – We all know what he brings but my question is does he have more value in a deal than he does to this team going forward. Yes his offence is needed but with some of the rumours and speculation how much is it needed? I think Rychel still needs to stockpile some assets for a Cup bid so does that affect Khokhlachev going forward?

Pavelka – He is unorthodox and not much was expected from him, basically a throw in in the Kuhnhackl deal but if he has value in a deal then does he value here when we need goaltending? He was inconsistent at times but look at the D in front of him and how many goalies would have done what he did with that D in front of them? It may be a better use of assets to move him but it may not when you consider most want to keep Khokhlachev because they feel the team needs a deep run next season but who is going to be in goal for a deep run? DeKort will have to carry the load or Windsor moves Pavelka and likely puts out more assets then they get for Pavelka to get a number one which leaves DeKort as a back up and not likely ready for the following season when most expect him to start. Pavelka/DeKort for half a season may not be a bad thing splitting time 60/40 or 50/50. At least you know where you stand with DeKort and make a deal at the deadline if need be.

Unknowns

Seillof – Will he report? If he does then from the little I know of him he can be the physical shutdown type of D this team is missing with the talent to step right into the lineup.

DeGuiseppe – I doubt he reports to Windsor and even if he does he is likely a one and done being a 93. Going to school though who knows if he can be steered here by whoever drafts him for two seasons instead of one. Would make for a nice OA in 2014.

Barber – I get the feeling he won’t be here and if he is, judging by some of what was thought to be going on with his expectations for ice time etc. is he another Ebert?

Schmaltz – The rumours/speculation is out there that if Windsor can draft his brother then they will both be here. Is it anymore than that and if so does it mean they will both be here for sure? Again, being another 93 would he be a one and done or would he be another possible OA candidate depending on who drafts him?

Looking forward to the draft, what happens and who plays games that gets Rychel going after another first rounder if anyone. The import draft could be just as interesting as well and if there are surprises in the summer it just keeps the build up for the next couple of seasons growing.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:25 PM
4 Bobby ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Possible OA's include: Posa, Braithwaite, Czinder. Rumor has it that we get a choice of SSM's OA's so I can bet Czinder and his hair will not be back with us.
If the Schmaltz bros. happen then I can see Czinder more of a possible OA as Jordan will bump one of the OA defenceman.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:28 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Bobby ORR View Post
If the Schmaltz bros. happen then I can see Czinder more of a possible OA as Jordan will bump one of the OA defenceman.
Not so because Jordan is a 93 born d-man,his arrival would not affect the o/a situation

Old
03-30-2012, 12:46 PM
4 Bobby ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Not so because Jordan is a 93 born d-man,his arrival would not affect the o/a situation
Ebert, Devlin, Posa, Braithwaite, Bateman, Bowen & Schmaltz Would be our D. If both OA stay then Bowen will have to be traded because I doubt he stays for a repeat of this past year.

Also isn't Rychel pursuing Butcher?

Old
03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Bobby ORR View Post
Ebert, Devlin, Posa, Braithwaite, Bateman, Bowen & Schmaltz Would be our D. If both OA stay then Bowen will have to be traded because I doubt he stays for a repeat of this past year.

Also isn't Rychel pursuing Butcher?
Yes but not for next yr as Butcher still has 1 year left to serve with the USDTP

Old
03-30-2012, 01:08 PM
RayzorIsDull

If I win the Mega Millions jackpot tonight there might be a new owner and coach of the Windsor Spitfires come September.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:12 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
If I win the Mega Millions jackpot tonight there might be a new owner and coach of the Windsor Spitfires come September.
Can I be your asst gm

Old
03-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
There will be a winner as it was reported today that every combination has been sold at least once.

$500M, but you take the lump sum $300M, than you have to pay 35% US/Mich taxes on that so now you're down to $195M = yeah you can still make Boughner and Co offers they can't refuse.

Chris Singletary - NBA or NFL player reportedly bought $10,000 tickets. Lotto pools and such have thousands of numbers as well. If there is 20 people in an office pool you're looking at 10M each after taxes and lump sum and all that jazz. Still life changing money for all involved of course - but I hope one person wins it by themselves. (unless I was one of those office poolies getting $10M - but alas I don't have a ticket). I'll stick to Lotto Max tonight - $20M would be more than enough for me - though I wouldn't buy the Spits with that money - might buy a piece just to sit at the table on all the decisions, if it comes with use of the owners suite.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:00 PM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

For those of you not following the draft thread, here is a mock of the first 5 rounds. First two Spits picks seem to be right on target

http://www.intheoradio.com/imported-...ounds-1-5.html

Old
03-30-2012, 03:26 PM
OHLTG

Nice read.

If the designer of that website reads this thread, please change the colours on the site. It's very hard on the eyes.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan18 View Post
For those of you not following the draft thread, here is a mock of the first 5 rounds. First two Spits picks seem to be right on target

Looks like Windsor and London clean up on the "tough signs" as Windsor gets Schmaltz and Larkin both first round talents in the late second and early third and London gets MacInnis, Lemieux as well as a USNTDP flyer early which would tell me he'd report.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:37 PM
izzys

this 5 round mock draft i like the first 3 pick i like each of those plays

but with the 2nd pick in the 3rd round i would like to see a defenceman

and i also hope we trade one of those 3rd and a 5th and try and get another pick in the second round

as pre my season ending thoughts lol it might take awhile for me as i have

my offseason hockey **** including ohl draft to take care of

Old
03-30-2012, 04:48 PM
cfaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan18 View Post

This mock is showing 21 picks in the second round. Does London have a second of their own this year? If so then there is an extra one in there for someone not that it changes things too much.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:10 PM
OHLTG

When I posted my last comment, I hadn't seen CFaub's long post, so wanted to address it now:

Regarding Posa - Saverio needs to return. He's a steady calm back there and, while he's not spectacular in any one area, he's the type of player who does the little things right and is needed in the room.

Regarding Czinder - Mr Hot and Cold. I want to see him return, but if there's no room, there's no room.

McCann - He's gone. Has to be.

Alonge - He's improved as the season wore on, but his shoulder concerns me. When you're so banged up that you leave the ice, in the final game, without someone helping you off, that worries me. The kid is a warrior, but I don't know that he grew with the fans at all. Wait-and-see.

Devlin - You can tell he's close to breaking out, but needs to keep his head in there. He's not like Ebert, in that Ebert thinks the universe revolves around him, but I think Devlin is simply more raw.

Bowen - NEEDS to get playing time next year. He has all the tools necessary to be Harry Young. You can't do that on the bench. Give him a regular shift, see what happens.

Vail - Adam Henrique version 2.0. Defensively sound, great offensive skills, and a leadership role on the team next year.

Clarke - I want to like the kid. I really do. He just doesn't impress me. His offence is there, some nights, and his defence is certainly there, but there's more "do something" than "atta boy" in his game right now.

Johnson - I'm saying it now - 40 goals next year. He took a bit to adjust to the league, but he looks comfortable out there now. With some work this summer, I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into a 100pt/100PIM guy in a couple years.

Bilcke - Hahaha, I just typed "Greenop - Bilcke 2.0". I knew Ty would be the enforcer with a few points added in. I'm expecting next year to be different, though. Say 10-15 points, 150-175 PIM, and more of a police role than a "wanna go?" role.

Bateman - No worries on him. Small, looks about 12-years old, but I think Ellis was the same way. Give him a summer and watch him go kaboom.

Smith - Get him skating in the summer and he'll be fine.

Koko - Completely depends on what happens between now and the import draft. I'm 50/50.

Pavelka - see Koko.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Smashhouse92

I think getting 2 players in the Second would be good, Try to get some where between 31-38 range Erie, Sarnia, Guelph, Brampton, Saginaw seem like a good target as London and Plymouth might try to get a bit more then what WR would wanna be willing to give up

Old
03-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
This mock is showing 21 picks in the second round. Does London have a second of their own this year? If so then there is an extra one in there for someone not that it changes things too much.
London gets an extra because of the Jenkins death I believe.

Old
03-30-2012, 07:24 PM
chi11in88

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Off Season Thread

So the time has come, far to early this year as far as I am concerned or not soon enough in some other peoples eye's.

Just a few thoughts on some of our cough cough key players. Would love to hear your thoughts.

CLARKE - Only 8 games the year before, but 68gp 15g 21a 36pts

Hoping somebody can fill me in on what were expecting him to achieve for us. I was kinda thinking he was going to come in and provide some offence for us but 15g and 36 points does not cut it for me. I noticed his ice time varies all the time as well maybe he just needs a more steady role but I wouldn't know what that would be, bottom 6 forward?

VAIL - 3g 7a 10 pts last year 68gp 22g 30g 53 points

I feel like Vail is being given a rough time with the spits. I only say that because I think he can be a great scorer and top player on this team but he is constantly given shut down roles with little to no opportunity to create offence. Give this guy a chance to shine with other top end forwards and watch the points pile up. Putting him with Kerby would be a good start.

EBERT - 66gp 6g 33a 39pts more importantly -2

Well what can I say about Nick Ebert except for epic face palm. This guy just gets worse every game it seems.When Ebert came here he was the 3rd overall prospect in the OHL and possibly the third overall pick in his draft year provided he improved from last year, but he is now picked to go late 3rd round. That is roughly 110th overall. that means he dropped just over a pick per game. On the bright sid,e he will definitely be back next year. Wait is that the bright side?

KOKO - 67gp 34g 42a 76 pts 56gp 25g 44a 69pts

Obviously he is our offensive catalyst. Don't know what else to really say. Pretty obvious points such as vision, dangles, and the ability to put the puck in the net. The only downfall I saw with him this year was that after he came back from world juniors he seemed to try too hard to make plays. He took way too many bad penalties, such as bad slashes, away from the play cause he couldn't deke around somebody and threw a temper tantrum. He needed to just tone it down and make the easy plays. Maybe next year with more talent he will be able to be more creative and not just hang his team out to dry.

MacQueen - had good moments and bad moments but towards the end I gathered he had ran his course here.

RYCHEL - 68gp 41g 33a 74pts

Oh man did the spits try to pull the wool over the leagues eyes with this move? no way. should the spits have passed on him in the first round and picked him in the second? Who were they trying to kid? Grant Webermin over Kerby Rychel... right 41 goals for Kerby. Hopefully he can keep it up next year dare I say 50?

CZINDER - 68gp 15g 15a 30pts

Ok here's the thing I had weekend tickets this year for the saturday and sunday games. I sat by some spits fans who, as soon as Czinder scored, would all turn to one another and sing his praises about how they told everybody he was going to be good and how much he scores. Well the end of the year comes and I take a look at Nicks totals and 15 goals WOW. How lucky for me that it seems he must have scored all of those on Saturday and Sunday, so when I came on here and seen 15 I was far less then impressed. I read somewhere that most people think he will not be back as an overager next year and I could not be more happy. If he could settle into a tough guy role I would consider it, but with posa findley czinder and perhaps a few others fighting for spots I could see Nick being the odd man out.

MARCHESE - 58gp 18g 25a 43pts -38

I understand that most of that - 38 came with playing on the pitiful otters team but as he was a first round pick before I am expecting much more from him next year. Also not to familiar with Chris so any insight would be appreciated as to what his role should be next year

SMITH - I am hoping Hunter can gain his balance out there and just start throwing his size around. High hopes for him.

BATEMAN - If I recall correctly we gave up quite a bit to get him here. I really hope we didn't lose this deal. He needs to be better but being as it is his rookie season I expected quite a bit of a learning curve.

PAVELKA - Nothing against him at all but I feel sometimes he single handedly won us some close games. But if we have a chance to get Sergei Tolchinski in the import draft then trade him and get as much as we can for him before the import draft. maybe Pavelka and our import to move up to secure him. Didn't we draft Dekort to be our go to goalie? give him a chance to play.

Also I know it is way to early to start worrying about the memorial cup but is anybody else concerned that the combo in london of Horvat and Domi may be enough to jeopardize our host bid?

Old
03-30-2012, 07:25 PM
chi11in88

if this already exists can this be moved into it please thanks and delete topic as well please sorry for the troubles

Old
03-30-2012, 07:27 PM
chi11in88

So the time has come, far to early this year as far as I am concerned or not soon enough in some other peoples eye's.

Just a few thoughts on some of our cough cough key players. Would love to hear your thoughts.

CLARKE - Only 8 games the year before, but 68gp 15g 21a 36pts

Hoping somebody can fill me in on what were expecting him to achieve for us. I was kinda thinking he was going to come in and provide some offence for us but 15g and 36 points does not cut it for me. I noticed his ice time varies all the time as well maybe he just needs a more steady role but I wouldn't know what that would be, bottom 6 forward?

VAIL - 3g 7a 10 pts last year 68gp 22g 30g 53 points

I feel like Vail is being given a rough time with the spits. I only say that because I think he can be a great scorer and top player on this team but he is constantly given shut down roles with little to no opportunity to create offence. Give this guy a chance to shine with other top end forwards and watch the points pile up. Putting him with Kerby would be a good start.

EBERT - 66gp 6g 33a 39pts more importantly -2

Well what can I say about Nick Ebert except for epic face palm. This guy just gets worse every game it seems.When Ebert came here he was the 3rd overall prospect in the OHL and possibly the third overall pick in his draft year provided he improved from last year, but he is now picked to go late 3rd round. That is roughly 110th overall. that means he dropped just over a pick per game. On the bright sid,e he will definitely be back next year. Wait is that the bright side?

KOKO - 67gp 34g 42a 76 pts 56gp 25g 44a 69pts

Obviously he is our offensive catalyst. Don't know what else to really say. Pretty obvious points such as vision, dangles, and the ability to put the puck in the net. The only downfall I saw with him this year was that after he came back from world juniors he seemed to try too hard to make plays. He took way too many bad penalties, such as bad slashes, away from the play cause he couldn't deke around somebody and threw a temper tantrum. He needed to just tone it down and make the easy plays. Maybe next year with more talent he will be able to be more creative and not just hang his team out to dry.

MacQueen - had good moments and bad moments but towards the end I gathered he had ran his course here.

RYCHEL - 68gp 41g 33a 74pts

Oh man did the spits try to pull the wool over the leagues eyes with this move? no way. should the spits have passed on him in the first round and picked him in the second? Who were they trying to kid? Grant Webermin over Kerby Rychel... right 41 goals for Kerby. Hopefully he can keep it up next year dare I say 50?

CZINDER - 68gp 15g 15a 30pts

Ok here's the thing I had weekend tickets this year for the saturday and sunday games. I sat by some spits fans who, as soon as Czinder scored, would all turn to one another and sing his praises about how they told everybody he was going to be good and how much he scores. Well the end of the year comes and I take a look at Nicks totals and 15 goals WOW. How lucky for me that it seems he must have scored all of those on Saturday and Sunday, so when I came on here and seen 15 I was far less then impressed. I read somewhere that most people think he will not be back as an overager next year and I could not be more happy. If he could settle into a tough guy role I would consider it, but with posa findley czinder and perhaps a few others fighting for spots I could see Nick being the odd man out.

MARCHESE - 58gp 18g 25a 43pts -38

I understand that most of that - 38 came with playing on the pitiful otters team but as he was a first round pick before I am expecting much more from him next year. Also not to familiar with Chris so any insight would be appreciated as to what his role should be next year

SMITH - I am hoping Hunter can gain his balance out there and just start throwing his size around. High hopes for him.

BATEMAN - If I recall correctly we gave up quite a bit to get him here. I really hope we didn't lose this deal. He needs to be better but being as it is his rookie season I expected quite a bit of a learning curve.

PAVELKA - Nothing against him at all but I feel sometimes he single handedly won us some close games. But if we have a chance to get Sergei Tolchinski in the import draft then trade him and get as much as we can for him before the import draft. maybe Pavelka and our import to move up to secure him. Didn't we draft Dekort to be our go to goalie? give him a chance to play.

Also I know it is way to early to start worrying about the memorial cup but is anybody else concerned that the combo in london of Horvat and Domi may be enough to jeopardize our host bid?

Closed Thread