HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 1)

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2012, 05:01 PM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Koko ++ for Domi/AA/+

Then I'll do it. Koko in a Knights uniform is all kinds of ugly. People didn't like Watson in a Ldn uniform? That'd be NOTHING compared to Koko.
I doubt London is willing to trade domi as he is one of the main pieces to their future. Even for Koko and some picks I just have trouble seeing that one happen.

Also add the fact that domi cried and manipulated his way to London so I do not know how he would feel about that.

Old
04-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
I doubt London is willing to trade domi as he is one of the main pieces to their future. Even for Koko and some picks I just have trouble seeing that one happen.

Also add the fact that domi cried and manipulated his way to London so I do not know how he would feel about that.
I think this is OHLTG saying that Koko is pretty much untouchable and that's (to him) what it should cost London.

Old
04-18-2012, 05:19 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
I think this is OHLTG saying that Koko is pretty much untouchable and that's (to him) what it should cost London.
I sensed that as well but it is hard to catch hints of sarcasm on the Internet. I figured OHLTG knew Domi is untouchable as he seems to know a lot about the league.

Old
04-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Ottomatic

I'd rather demand Bo Horvat if we're asking the moon and the stars. Kid is going to be a beast in the league the next three years.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:19 PM
OHLTG

Horvat would be okay, too, but I still shutter at the thought of Koko in London.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:20 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I'd rather demand Bo Horvat if we're asking the moon and the stars. Kid is going to be a beast in the league the next three years.
At trade deadline even when Bo was playing on the 4th line, he was still listed as untouchable. London is not willing to trade Domi or Horvat.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:09 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
At trade deadline even when Bo was playing on the 4th line, he was still listed as untouchable. London is not willing to trade Domi or Horvat.
Correct

Old
04-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Sheik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Have to agree as well. I just think that we need Koko next year or we're not going to be much better than we were this past season. It's going to make Hosang's transition alot smoother with Koko to mentor him and to take some pressure off of him on the ice. Unless we get one of the aforementioned dream packages i just think that we need him in order to keep moving forward.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:25 PM
4 Bobby ORR

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Sa...817/story.html
Apparently there was no manipulation of the draft.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:08 PM
OHLTG

I'd rather deal Pavelka for someone or something, keep Koko, bring in Tolchinski, then have Tolch and Koko play together (great mentor and help), while finding a replacement for Pavelka in a deal.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:57 PM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
If it really came down to guarantee of money then if London bids against Windsor they should get the bid shouldn't they?
Assuming the London guarantee is greater. Just because they have the ability to generate more revenue, doesn't automatically mean they'll submit the highest dollar amount.

Quote:
Nobody is as good as Saint John the past couple years that much is evident so everybody is obviously behind.
The Sea Dog roster was going to be set for a repeat. If roster was that important, why didn't they receive the host gig?

Quote:
Or are you putting the onus on the selection committee?
No because I think the committee usually has the answer and are asked to write the question to fit the predetermined outcome. Their evaluations of bids from that talent perspective are to explain the decision more than to make it.

I think money is a large factor but I also think there are hidden agendas and whims. Is it shear coincidence that Shawinigan and Saskatoon have the two longest droughts for winning their League championships but find their way into the Big Dance through the easiest path? Keeps it exciting for long suffering fan bases.

Also being a charter Q-League team and one of the smallest markets in the CHL, it certainly shows that the little foray into the GTA last year was all about the legitimacy of the Majors and not about money ... If your spin doctoring for Branch.

It would not be a surprise at all if London wins the bid. They can't seem to get to the Cup on their own and the help would bolster the image of being a crown jewel of the League despite the lack of earned polished silver.

In the end, the whole host selection aspect is shady and black box in process. Just like all judged competitions, someone will always be able to question a decision. Thus, the committee must always have a rehearsed speech explaining the decision whether it is bulletproof or not. I'm sure when London wins the bid, it'll be totally "legit" or at least sound like it.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Bobby ORR View Post
http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Sa...817/story.html
Apparently there was no manipulation of the draft.
This would be a good thing in that he could come in with a bit of an extra chip on his shoulder.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:23 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
Assuming the London guarantee is greater. Just because they have the ability to generate more revenue, doesn't automatically mean they'll submit the highest dollar amount.

The Sea Dog roster was going to be set for a repeat. If roster was that important, why didn't they receive the host gig?

No because I think the committee usually has the answer and are asked to write the question to fit the predetermined outcome. Their evaluations of bids from that talent perspective are to explain the decision more than to make it.

I think money is a large factor but I also think there are hidden agendas and whims. Is it shear coincidence that Shawinigan and Saskatoon have the two longest droughts for winning their League championships but find their way into the Big Dance through the easiest path? Keeps it exciting for long suffering fan bases.

Also being a charter Q-League team and one of the smallest markets in the CHL, it certainly shows that the little foray into the GTA last year was all about the legitimacy of the Majors and not about money ... If your spin doctoring for Branch.

It would not be a surprise at all if London wins the bid. They can't seem to get to the Cup on their own and the help would bolster the image of being a crown jewel of the League despite the lack of earned polished silver.

In the end, the whole host selection aspect is shady and black box in process. Just like all judged competitions, someone will always be able to question a decision. Thus, the committee must always have a rehearsed speech explaining the decision whether it is bulletproof or not. I'm sure when London wins the bid, it'll be totally "legit" or at least sound like it.
Just my opinion that it would be hard for Windsor to guarantee more money based on the 2 factors I presented especially if Windsor didn't have a long playoff run next year. Teams make their $$ based on their playoff runs and extra home dates. If Windsor can get some guaranteed money from the city that may help but that would open up another can of worms.

I think Shawinigan won it because they were the runner up to Rimouski and there was probably a bit of a handout and that's not right but that may actually help Windsor for next year. Like I said for Saskatoon they might have had the best bid out of a bad bunch and there wasn't another great team. WHL kind of loses out on the fact a big market like Edmonton and Calgary can't really bid on the event due to NHL teams playing in those arenas.

I don't see a better way of selecting a bid host I think this is the best method. As of right now London looks to be lined up better for 13/14 and probably can guarantee more money just my opinion.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:41 AM
OHLTG

I think you're opening up a giant can of worms by offering it to London less than a decade after the last time they hosted it, especially with several new arena opening up since that point.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:50 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I think you're opening up a giant can of worms by offering it to London less than a decade after the last time they hosted it, especially with several new arena opening up since that point.
Those teams would have to put in a bid though. New arenas for teams since London hosted in 05.

Windsor
Oshawa
Sault
Kingston

Oshawa just cleaned house and they are not likely to bid. I think Kingston will put in a bid but not sure about the Soo. If it was just London, Kingston and Windsor I don't think you can be upset if London got it. The deadline for bidding is coming up shortly we will know more later.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:53 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I would agree with that statement plus Windsor has hosted several events proving they can handle things on a large scale
Sources tell me it will theirs to lose
It is unlikely they will have a billionaire bidding in,like the last bid,I doubt London gets it,although they will try

Old
04-19-2012, 09:56 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Those teams would have to put in a bid though. New arenas for teams since London hosted in 05.

Windsor
Oshawa
Sault
Kingston

Oshawa just cleaned house and they are not likely to bid. I think Kingston will put in a bid but not sure about the Soo. If it was just London, Kingston and Windsor I don't think you can be upset if London got it. The deadline for bidding is coming up shortly we will know more later.
I would be very upset if London gets it,they had it in 2005,Windsor has done everything required,ie hosting events,whereas London has not

Old
04-19-2012, 10:00 AM
hockeylegend11

I think it will come down to Windsor and London,Kingston will barely be considered,Kitchener might be in the mix,doubt that they get it,having hosted it recently

Old
04-19-2012, 10:02 AM
FearTheKingfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
Suprising the League would expose themselves to the embarassment of an exceptional status player possibly draft dodging.
I read somewhere that what sealed the deal for McDavid reporting to the Otters was that the Otters promised him that he would get the chance to play goal some time during the season.

Is this true?

Old
04-19-2012, 10:10 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I would be very upset if London gets it,they had it in 2005,Windsor has done everything required,ie hosting events,whereas London has not
London hosted All Stars in 03, Top Prospects 04 and Under 17 in 07. So it hasn't been as recent they have hosted those events. I think Windsor will get it but I don't see it as some slam dunk. Over the past couple years you rarely see Sportsnet ever making a trip for a regular season game in Windsor. You see at least 2 maybe 3 games a year in London. I believe the last regular season game Sportsnet had in Windsor was 09 against Sudbury. Other than that they made a trip for London game 3, Barrie game 3.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:29 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
London hosted All Stars in 03, Top Prospects 04 and Under 17 in 07. So it hasn't been as recent they have hosted those events. I think Windsor will get it but I don't see it as some slam dunk. Over the past couple years you rarely see Sportsnet ever making a trip for a regular season game in Windsor. You see at least 2 maybe 3 games a year in London. I believe the last regular season game Sportsnet had in Windsor was 09 against Sudbury. Other than that they made a trip for London game 3, Barrie game 3.
Yeah they were not here much during the 2 years when Windsor was the best team in Canada either,its too bad,the country had to wait until the Mem Cups to see what a powerhouse Windsor and how truly dominant the 2nd cup team was as they walked thru Mem Cup in Brandon
While I dont think its a slam dunk for Windsor to get the winning bid,I feel its deserved,they have paid their dues,London already hosted once,besides lets see if they win one on the road,like Windsor did twice,of course Windsor would not win the League championship for that to happen,I could careless about league championships get me to the party

Old
04-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Ottomatic

I think it's a slam dunk to Windsor as long as they can put a good team on the ice. We need to get out of the second round next year. Which is why I don't see us trading Khokhlachev. Branch screwed us over when he gave it to Mississauga - going for a threepeat is really special, but I suspect he made backroom deals with Mississauga and didn't want to screw over a billionaire.

London won't have as good a team in 2014 given Houser would be a lock to be gone by then, Harrington wouldn't be back for an OA season and Maata could stick in the show himself sooner than later. I think we basically tie London up front going forward.

I wonder if London bidding is gamesmanship to try and get us to help them stack for a run next year by trading them Khokhlachev who would be gone come 2014 for players who would otherwise be around ie AA.

Has there been any update on Koko's injury - were those December return rumblings legit?

Old
04-19-2012, 11:31 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
I think it's a slam dunk to Windsor as long as they can put a good team on the ice. We need to get out of the second round next year. Which is why I don't see us trading Khokhlachev. Branch screwed us over when he gave it to Mississauga - going for a threepeat is really special, but I suspect he made backroom deals with Mississauga and didn't want to screw over a billionaire.

London won't have as good a team in 2014 given Houser would be a lock to be gone by then, Harrington wouldn't be back for an OA season and Maata could stick in the show himself sooner than later. I think we basically tie London up front going forward.

I wonder if London bidding is gamesmanship to try and get us to help them stack for a run next year by trading them Khokhlachev who would be gone come 2014 for players who would otherwise be around ie AA.

Has there been any update on Koko's injury - were those December return rumblings legit?
Erie will have completed their 42 million dollar renovations for that season. With mcdavid and a winning team can we possibly throw them in the mix?

Old
04-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
Erie will have completed their 42 million dollar renovations for that season. With mcdavid and a winning team can we possibly throw them in the mix?
McDavid would be 16 years old - Mem Cup teams are usually 19 yr old centric teams. I know Ho-Sang will only be 17 yo himself, but the Spits have a core that will be 19 come 2014. How was your cast of 17 yr olds this season?

Old
04-19-2012, 11:51 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
McDavid would be 16 years old - Mem Cup teams are usually 19 yr old centric teams. I know Ho-Sang will only be 17 yo himself, but the Spits have a core that will be 19 come 2014. How was your cast of 17 yr olds this season?
It was pretty strong actually, maybe not as strong as the Spits but stronger than most think. Pelech, Brown, Donnay, Cairns, Maaskant, Crisp, there are a few others but those are the best as of now. Also they have Harper and Evans both strong 95's, as well as Fox who is technically a 93 but has a late bday. Add solid goaltender, two solid imports and McDavid and with the new arena and they should bid.

Closed Thread