HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 1)

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2012, 09:49 AM
dereksutton9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Looks like Billings is interested to come to the OHL.

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Bi...898/story.html

Hopefully he's as good as they hype him up to be.
I know some people have complained about Rychel overhyping prospects. That's his job. Parker is basically a mouthpiece for the team and he really can't control not being a tool if he wants inside access and scoops. Thus, the hype machine exists because it has to.

The stats for Billings look impressive but I know nothing of Cluver Academy or of the quality of hockey in Indiana.

With that being said, it's up to fans to really decide whether to buy into hype or not. As I heard someone once say, I cannot get excited about what I have not seen. It's a nice article.

"Don't. Don't believe. Don't believe the hype." - Flavor Flav

Old
04-27-2012, 10:02 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
I know some people have complained about Rychel overhyping prospects. That's his job. Parker is basically a mouthpiece for the team and he really can't control not being a tool if he wants inside access and scoops. Thus, the hype machine exists because it has to.

The stats for Billings look impressive but I know nothing of Cluver Academy or of the quality of hockey in Indiana.

With that being said, it's up to fans to really decide whether to buy into hype or not. As I heard someone once say, I cannot get excited about what I have not seen. It's a nice article.

"Don't. Don't believe. Don't believe the hype." - Flavor Flav
That's a good point. I hope the guy pans out and I read the article but he was playing a level down. Regardless of the reason he played a level down he was playing Culver Under 16's. The downside to drafting kids like this is you can only judge him by what you saw at Culver and what he does against their own draft picks. He's not going to participate in any exhibition games etc.. unless he gets signed by the Spits and then he has to perform well.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
That's a good point. I hope the guy pans out and I read the article but he was playing a level down. Regardless of the reason he played a level down he was playing Culver Under 16's. The downside to drafting kids like this is you can only judge him by what you saw at Culver and what he does against their own draft picks. He's not going to participate in any exhibition games etc.. unless he gets signed by the Spits and then he has to perform well.
Not that it has any real relevance for how he turns out but past grads from Culver is John Michael Liles, Gary and Ryan Suter of the NHL, and Adam Bignell presently with Belleville.
Other notables are two famous Georges...Steinbrenner and Foreman.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:20 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Not that it has any real relevance for how he turns out but past grads from Culver is John Michael Liles, Gary and Ryan Suter of the NHL, and Adam Bignell presently with Belleville.
Other notables are two famous Georges...Steinbrenner and Foreman.
I knew about Liles and Ryan Suter didn't know of the others.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Sheik

[QUOTE=dereksutton9;48918977]I know some people have complained about Rychel overhyping prospects. That's his job. Parker is basically a mouthpiece for the team and he really can't control not being a tool if he wants inside access and scoops. Thus, the hype machine exists because it has to.

Precisely! Also, on his Windsor Star game blog he never responds to any difficult questions.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:04 PM
WindsorGirl

Interesting article about Spits re-committment to fitness in the offseason:

"Several players, including Maletta, will stay in town all summer to work out with athletic therapist Joey Garland. The club also has an online workout prepared specifically for each player.

On top of that, Boughner said the team will get together for another round of fitness testing in early June in Toronto.

It’s something the club did the first two seasons, but has not been able to do in recent years.

“We’re back to being able to monitor summer fitness since there is a longer off-season,” Boughner said.

Team management felt that helped paved the way for four strong seasons and hope it helps set things up for the same over the next couple seasons.

“These are the things that made us successful,” Boughner said."

Hopefully, this will prevent things like Ebert coming back to training camp in questionable shape, etc. I think the Spits have a very strict standard for conditioning - need to be ready to play "Spitfire hockey"!

Old
04-27-2012, 01:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

[QUOTE=Sheik;48924821]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post

Precisely! Also, on his Windsor Star game blog he never responds to any difficult questions.
I don't read the blogs. Are there any tough questions he gets asked? This is one of the reasons I can see this town hall meeting tonight being a lot of nothing. It's interesting in the paper Rychel mentions he wants to go back to their roots etc.. Fans aren't stupid though you can't just do this one time and think that helps bringing the fans back.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Sheik

[QUOTE=RayzorIsDull;48928793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik View Post

I don't read the blogs. Are there any tough questions he gets asked? This is one of the reasons I can see this town hall meeting tonight being a lot of nothing. It's interesting in the paper Rychel mentions he wants to go back to their roots etc.. Fans aren't stupid though you can't just do this one time and think that helps bringing the fans back.
There aren't too many smart questions that's for sure but he will never call anybody out for a poor performance or speak ill of any trade, draft choice or signing. I'll skim through after a game more for the stats and info from Duff and the Star. The quality and depth of hockey knowledge among participants is not very good i'll certainly give you that.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Sheik

I haven't heard Ebert's name mentioned to stay in town for the summer conditioning program. You would have thought that with his drop in the draft rankings and all that is at stake for his career that he would be here to train. That just doesn't seem like a good sign that he might finally be "getting it".

Old
04-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Libbs

The blog is a joke. I stopped reading them a long time ago. I don't have any issues with Parker. He's very responsive on Twitter.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:09 PM
jughead42

I know the idea has been floated around here that we aren't adding quality players, at least enough to be a cup winning team. I posted earlier the facts about 1st round NHL picks from the OHL since Rychel and Boughner took over the team, and showed we are at the top among OHL teams. The argument has been brought up about possibly going 2 years in a row without a 1st round NHL pick, and while that's likely true I think we'll still have pretty good representation in the draft this year. I went through the Hockey News Draft Preview that showed up on my door, and tallied up the numbers from the top 100 list to see which teams had prospects likely to be drafted in the first few rounds. We'll save discussion on the Hockey News' ability to predict the draft for another thread, and just use it as a resource to see if Windsor really is lacking in draft age talent.

Windsor 4 (Vail, Ebert, Clarke, Johnson)
Belleville 3
Guelph 3
Owen Sound 3
Sarnia 2
Kitchener 2
London 2
Erie 2
Brampton 2
SS Marie 2
Ottawa 1
Peterborough 1
Plymouth 1
Barrie 1
Oshawa 1
Mississauga 1

Interesting to see Windsor as the only team with 4 prospects ranked in the top 100 by the Hockey News. We suck though for sure. I know people will say they are all rated at the bottom of the top 100 for the most part, but then again so was a kid by the name of Henrique.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:05 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I know the idea has been floated around here that we aren't adding quality players, at least enough to be a cup winning team. I posted earlier the facts about 1st round NHL picks from the OHL since Rychel and Boughner took over the team, and showed we are at the top among OHL teams. The argument has been brought up about possibly going 2 years in a row without a 1st round NHL pick, and while that's likely true I think we'll still have pretty good representation in the draft this year. I went through the Hockey News Draft Preview that showed up on my door, and tallied up the numbers from the top 100 list to see which teams had prospects likely to be drafted in the first few rounds. We'll save discussion on the Hockey News' ability to predict the draft for another thread, and just use it as a resource to see if Windsor really is lacking in draft age talent.

Windsor 4 (Vail, Ebert, Clarke, Johnson)
Belleville 3
Guelph 3
Owen Sound 3
Sarnia 2
Kitchener 2
London 2
Erie 2
Brampton 2
SS Marie 2
Ottawa 1
Peterborough 1
Plymouth 1
Barrie 1
Oshawa 1
Mississauga 1

Interesting to see Windsor as the only team with 4 prospects ranked in the top 100 by the Hockey News. We suck though for sure. I know people will say they are all rated at the bottom of the top 100 for the most part, but then again so was a kid by the name of Henrique.
Is this just the top 100 in North America? If it is then if you're just say in the 90-100 range wouldn't that put you in the 5th-6th round range if we were to strictly go by numbers?

Old
04-28-2012, 12:00 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Is this just the top 100 in North America? If it is then if you're just say in the 90-100 range wouldn't that put you in the 5th-6th round range if we were to strictly go by numbers?
I'm quite certain it's top 100 in the world, not North America. That would suggest these guys would go in the top 3 rounds with a couple at the start of the 4th. Even a 4th round NHL pick is no slouch, that's what Kuhnhackl was I'm pretty sure. It's certainly not proof that they'll get picked or will develop into top players in the OHL even, but it makes for an interesting layer of information to consider when predicting the demise of our beloved team as a powerhouse.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Nyax

Did you see who they mention when looking ahead to the 2014 draft? Good ole Nick Schmaltz. Though this is the same publication that a couple of years ago had Nick Ebert as a potential first overall pick for this years draft.

Old
04-28-2012, 11:36 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I'm quite certain it's top 100 in the world, not North America. That would suggest these guys would go in the top 3 rounds with a couple at the start of the 4th. Even a 4th round NHL pick is no slouch, that's what Kuhnhackl was I'm pretty sure. It's certainly not proof that they'll get picked or will develop into top players in the OHL even, but it makes for an interesting layer of information to consider when predicting the demise of our beloved team as a powerhouse.
I always stated I thought there was the concern with quality not necessarily quantity. It's an example we are familiar with but we heard about the Hounds being a good team with a lot of NHL picks but very few were of the high quality exception of Cousins. For example Belleville has 2 players in the top 100 both are likely to be 1st rounders. Would I deal Johnson, Ebert and Clarke for Gaunce and Subban? I probably would but I don't think you can get Belleville to bite. I am not predicting the demise but when others here are only seeing a 4th or 5th seed let's just say the rebuild isn't going exactly as planned.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:29 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I always stated I thought there was the concern with quality not necessarily quantity. It's an example we are familiar with but we heard about the Hounds being a good team with a lot of NHL picks but very few were of the high quality exception of Cousins. For example Belleville has 2 players in the top 100 both are likely to be 1st rounders. Would I deal Johnson, Ebert and Clarke for Gaunce and Subban? I probably would but I don't think you can get Belleville to bite. I am not predicting the demise but when others here are only seeing a 4th or 5th seed let's just say the rebuild isn't going exactly as planned.
Didnt Owen Sd miss the playoffs and the following year win the league championship,or did they get knocked out in the ist rd i forget which
Just sayin

Old
04-28-2012, 01:57 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Didnt Owen Sd miss the playoffs and the following year win the league championship,or did they get knocked out in the ist rd i forget which
Just sayin
Yes and just as Spitfire fans say Khokhlachev was a big loss the same can be said for Owen Sound playing without Maidens, Gavrus and Halmo. Just sayin.

Old
04-28-2012, 05:07 PM
big papa

Ho-sang, billings, morrison, studnika, brown, verbeek, sanvido look good today to me but sanvido needs to get better foot speed

Old
04-28-2012, 05:29 PM
jughead42

Just got back from the arena for the prospects camp. I saw the Blue team practice as well as the first scrimmage session and I think we've got some interesting prospects.

Right off the hop, Ho Sang looks to be everything advertised and more. He's going to put ***** in seats for a couple years, when he gets the puck on his stick you just expect good things to happen. On one rush he blazed towards the defense at top speed, then slowed it down to back them off before dishing it off no-look style for a nice chance. It reminded me of the Kane shootout goal where he stickhandled Backstrom out of his jock, the way he was able to change his pace at will. Of course I see a few 10 minute mouthguard offenses in his future, it's not chewing gum kid! Was easily the most dangerous player on the ice.

I got a good look at Sanvido, he's huge and strong but he was really sucking wind by the end of the practice and had trouble being quick enough to get in position for some of the drills. I'm not sure if he's going to be stealing a job from Bowen any time soon, but you could see when he was working along the boards or in front of the net that he was a handful.

I also spent a lot of time watching Billings, I think that was a pretty solid pick for a 6th rounder. He looks like he's got some good offensive tools and after Ho-Sang I thought he was the best player among those who hadn't played on the team yet. I'm pretty excited about his potential after watching him play. Some of the guys seemed to be going through the motions but he looked like one of the players who was out to impress on every shift and on every drill.

Of the lesser known prospects, I liked this Cameron Hughes kid on defence that we took in the 8th. He's got decent size and mobility, played with confidence and was trying to make a difference for his team. Jake Ireland the free agent forward is a bit intriguing as well, but my number one choice for becoming the next whaley/posa/locke late round surprise is Mitchell Graham who we took in the 11th round in 2011. He seemed to be the best of the no names.

Old
04-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Libbs

I guess it was to be expected but that "Town Hall" thing was a joke. Only pre-screened questions? Also the questions they chose were just your run of the mill reporter questions with them giving the standardized answers.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:10 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
Ho-sang, billings, morrison, studnika, brown, verbeek, sanvido look good today to me but sanvido needs to get better foot speed
I would agree with all the names above,in addition,Graham,Hughes and Leslie showed something
Adam Bateman displayed a physical presence at times
Alot of young promising players,the future indeed is quite bright

Old
04-28-2012, 09:50 PM
hockeylegend11

Interesting story I heard at the WFCU centre today at the rookie camp concerning Alexandre Khochlachev,so the story goes that at this pt he is 50/50 returning to Windsor for next season,apparently his father wants him to return to Russia and develop in the KHL,his agent who I believe is Igor Larionov wants him to return to Windsor,so it is now up to the Boston Bruins to get involved and they may in the end hold the influence as to whether Koko stays or goes back to Russia ,maybe for good
Something tells me that this story is not finished and I am certain the Spits would like to see a resolution here,decisions have to be made with the Euro draft,do they keep Pavelka,trade Pavelka or what to do with Koko
More to come on this one
Thoughts anyone?

Old
04-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Ottomatic

I thought the point of Russians playing in the OHL was to send a message to draft teams that the NHL is their goal. If Koko heads back there will be a chill in drafting Russians - and I believe Larianov is agents for both Yakupov and Galchenyuk - could these Koko rumblings scare off potential suitors for the NHL draft?

Boston will try to keep him in Windsor because if he leaves for the KHL he might not come back. Koko's father probably wants his son to start getting paid. I know he got the SB from the Bruins, but playing in the KHL would be worth hundreds of thousands next year vs playing for free room and board.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:51 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I would agree with all the names above,in addition,Graham,Hughes and Leslie showed something
Adam Bateman displayed a physical presence at times
Alot of young promising players,the future indeed is quite bright
Yes i left out Bateman and Maletta because they played all year where Studnika did not play all yeah just a hand ful of games that included 4 playoffs games. i thought of the free agents i thought Jim Soper and Matt Yantzi were ok out there

Old
04-29-2012, 01:20 AM
dereksutton9

My two cents from observing mini-camp ...

- Thought jughead42's comment about Patrick Kane was appropriate with Ho-Sang. Probably the best player to compare the Spits' top pick too. Similar size, hands and ability to change directions. Seems to be able to accelerate in minimal steps. Great vision hitting a couple of great passes during the drills and scrimmage. About the only concern is will he calm the need for flair and make simpler plays to be more effective. Not sure if he felt responsible to entertain at times rather than just take what was given such as his shoot out attempt with a million stick moves but no shot.
- Sanvido and Hunter Smith are towers that both look very poor in open space. Skating definitely looked poor for each at center ice especially for Sanvido who struggled in incoming rush drills. But each looked much better in game play especially in tighter quarters.
- Only one scrap between Smith and free agent Luke Jackson. Smith had a huge reach advantage and had Jackson tied up for the majority of the fight. Smith nailed the biggest shot of the fight but got all helmet. Assume he didn't hurt the hand to band since he did continue play.
- Bowen looked much smoother. Actually spent the drill session as a forward and looked very comfortable lugging the puck at times during the scrimmage. It'll be interesting to see if he stays in a Spits uniform the whole year.
- Verbeek looked okay as did Billings. Not sure each stood out as much as I was already paying attention to them. Each did show some skills and likely will get good looks in the main camp.
- Graham and Leslie both looked pretty good for the lower drafted players. Would add defenseman McLean as well. 3rd rounder Brown didn't really stand out.
- Bateman is a heck of a skater and does seem to be rounding out the completeness of his game. I would expect his offense to go up this year. He absolutely pasted Ho-Sang in the scrimmage with a clean, well-timed check.
- Perhaps the biggest disappointment to me was the play of Dekort. He was not horrible but did not look sharp. Rebound control was a problem leading to a few of the goals in the scrimmage. Kuchmey was worse with at least one soft one. If only based on this session, I would definitely think they may need to get more than just an experienced partner for Dekort. A guy like Pavelka who can carry the mail for longer stretches may be required if this were the only thing to decide on for next year.

Not a badly attended event I'd say all things considered. Definitely looking forward to Ho-Sang at game speed. Wonder if he'll actually wear 66 once the season begins.

Closed Thread