HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 1)

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Libbs

vCash: 500
It makes better sense to keep 2 OA's on defense than up front. If you bring in Findlay then Czinder needs to go... there isn't room for both considering we should be adding 2 forwards with the #5 and #15 Import.

Old
04-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Smashhouse92

When koko went down BB gave Braithwaite the 'A' id be fine giving Posa the C meaning Vail getting in in 2014 and possible in his OA year. Vail is Captain Material and does everything right on and off the ice while with Rychel yeah he may have just had 41 goals but needs to focus more on Defence and Passing, As a rookie he had top 5 shot on the team but as a ONE WAY player scout will look a stray at him over someone who will also focus on Defence.

Perfect example is Stamkos, Basically a one way Player who did not back check alot in the OHL still went #1 in the NHL but didnt play much because he didnt back check now look at him 2 50+ goal season, 1 40+ goal season and 23 in his rookie year but could possible get 60 this season. Yes getting alot of goals will help your stock but its a team game you win as a team and lose as a team.

Old
04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Smashhouse92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
It makes better sense to keep 2 OA's on defense than up front. If you bring in Findlay then Czinder needs to go... there isn't room for both considering we should be adding 2 forwards with the #5 and #15 Import.
Agree Czinder has improved alot but not enough to warrent an OA Spot

Old
04-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Sec108

Btw..............Go Saginaw!!!!!!!!

Old
04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Sec108

And to the Sting fans..........Yuuuuuuuuppppp!!!!

Old
04-02-2012, 06:18 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Rimouski actually had the space for media members believe it or not. In Brandon they had a concourse where you could see the game so at the top of every section they had huge long tables where 5-6 media members would sit and they were positioned all around the arena. The reason I brought this up is because it isn't feasible in Windsor because there isn't a concourse where you can walk around and see the game unless you count the restaurant but that's where the $$$ is for the Spitfires so putting media there would make the Spitfires less $$$. It was a huge hurdle for the 2011 bid Libbs, Mississauga had the media stuff down that was one of the areas of concern for Windsor.
For the U17s, much of the media was located either in the restaurant, in the media booth, or (like I was) up in the catwalk. Didn't hear any complaints about those, either. I could see some suites being used, too.

As far as the letters. My guess:

Posa - C
Rychel, Vail, and Koko - A

Posa strikes me as the natural, calm leader. He's the type you need out there. Vail lines up for the C in the Cup run.

Quote:
Lets have one Little Caesars for example, one A&W and so forth.
While I agree that a new variety of food could be good (burgers/dogs are too common), no way I'd want Little Caesars or A/W in there. Neither one has any place in a hockey arena (JLA not withstanding). If I'm going to put food in a rink, it's wraps, wings, subs, nachos, etc. Not too traditional and boring, but not fast-food chains, either.

Old
04-02-2012, 06:56 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
For the U17s, much of the media was located either in the restaurant, in the media booth, or (like I was) up in the catwalk. Didn't hear any complaints about those, either. I could see some suites being used, too.

As far as the letters. My guess:

Posa - C
Rychel, Vail, and Koko - A

Posa strikes me as the natural, calm leader. He's the type you need out there. Vail lines up for the C in the Cup run.

While I agree that a new variety of food could be good (burgers/dogs are too common), no way I'd want Little Caesars or A/W in there. Neither one has any place in a hockey arena (JLA not withstanding). If I'm going to put food in a rink, it's wraps, wings, subs, nachos, etc. Not too traditional and boring, but not fast-food chains, either.
The reason you didn't hear any complaints is because the games for under 17 didn't sellout before the gold medal game. The tickets in the restaurant area were not sold. During the Memorial Cup to maximize profits they will want to sell those seats. Where does the media sit then? Suites being used for the media? I am sure those companies who dole out a lot of money on a yearly basis would love to hear that.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I think captains need to be very good or a protector type. Because those are the types young players will gravitate to and look up to. We don't have this type of player though Bilcke is well liked but he'd need to get a regular shift and isn't even a lock to make the team next year.
Every year Boughner has carried at least 2 and more often 3 guys who could be thought of as enforcers; Bilcke did everything that was asked of him this year, I imagine he is a lock for next year.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:21 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Would not surprise me if Spits take 2 forwards re #1 entry and Euro draft however with Warren going to Sweden dont be shocked if Windsor gets D-man Haag,he has Pat Morris as an agent and Haag would be our equiv to Ollie Mataa on the back end

Old
04-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
Every year Boughner has carried at least 2 and more often 3 guys who could be thought of as enforcers; Bilcke did everything that was asked of him this year, I imagine he is a lock for next year.
Depends - Spits will have a lot of depth. Will Bowen get 6th or 7th defenceman role? Will Hunter Smith play a regular shift?

Rychel|Khokhlachev|Johnson
Marchese|Vail|Maletta
Clarke|Finlay|Ho-Sang

That's our top nine - than we have Studnicka who played well for us in a grinder role, Hunter Smith, Alonge, Bilcke, potentially Nick Schmaltz, and an import pick that could drop one of the top nine down to 4th line duty.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:38 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Depends - Spits will have a lot of depth. Will Bowen get 6th or 7th defenceman role? Will Hunter Smith play a regular shift?

Rychel|Khokhlachev|Johnson
Marchese|Vail|Maletta
Clarke|Finlay|Ho-Sang

That's our top nine - than we have Studnicka who played well for us in a grinder role, Hunter Smith, Alonge, Bilcke, potentially Nick Schmaltz, and an import pick that could drop one of the top nine down to 4th line duty.
Which is why I suggested a D-man from the Euro draft,which would probably push Bowen to the 7th spot
As for Hunter Smith I still think he needs seasoning,guess we will see after a summer of power skating lessons

Old
04-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Which is why I suggested a D-man from the Euro draft,which would probably push Bowen to the 7th spot
As for Hunter Smith I still think he needs seasoning,guess we will see after a summer of power skating lessons
So reading between the lines, you don't believe the Schmaltz stuff. Because Ebert, Devlin, Bateman, Posa, Braithwaite would be five already, Jordan Schmaltz would make six and Bowen would already be 7th defenceman.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:47 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
So reading between the lines, you don't believe the Schmaltz stuff. Because Ebert, Devlin, Bateman, Posa, Braithwaite would be five already, Jordan Schmaltz would make six and Bowen would already be 7th defenceman.
Still trying to find out about the Schmaltz thing,just hearing about alot of different happenings leading up to the drafts etc
dont know anything concrete yet

Old
04-02-2012, 07:49 PM
cfaub

I doubt there are any real issues placing media for the Memorial Cup.

How many buildings have accomadations for 60 to 100 members of the media at the junior level? I doubt there are any.

As for suites for the media? Don't they have two or three suites that can accomadate 30+ each? I know they would like to rent out every suite for the Mem Cup to maximize profits but if you don't give a bit to handle all the things that go along with hosting then you don't end up hosting therefore no profits in the first place to worry about.

Media, while a part of the bid will be accomadated. They did it in the barn in '81 where there was no room at all for the media back then while accomadating all the scouts plus 5400 fans that they used have the capacity for in the Barn back then.

The biggest issue will be parking and if true, expanding the seating area.

The parking can be handled with temporary parking being built on the Lear lands, I am sure the owner will enjoy that payoff.

As for expanding, wasn't this building supposedly built to be able to be expanded? If so than I am sure they have a way to add the seating, my guess would be a second level above the suites, OHLTG, having been up there could let us know if there is room to add five rows+ up there over the suites without taking the roof off.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Sec108

If were going to take a Euro pick can we afford to let go of Pavelka and throw De Kort to the wolves.

Pav has played outstanding IMO.He's had his nights granted,but some of those stops he made when we needed the win were spectacular.I dont think even an OA goalie could do as good.

Some thoughts???

Old
04-02-2012, 08:00 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
If were going to take a Euro pick can we afford to let go of Pavelka and throw De Kort to the wolves.

Pav has played outstanding IMO.He's had his nights granted,but some of those stops he made when we needed the win were spectacular.I dont think even an OA goalie could do as good.

Some thoughts???
Pavelka will be moved ,count on it and the Spits will probably acquire another goalie to go along with DeKort and Kuchmey
Peterborough,Kingston,Barrie and Erie may be amongst the possible suitors for Pavelka,u might toss in Sudbury as well,all those teams have a need for a goalie and an open Euro spot

Old
04-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Pavelka will be moved ,count on it and the Spits will probably acquire another goalie to go along with DeKort and Kuchmey
Peterborough,Kingston,Barrie and Erie may be amongst the possible suitors for Pavelka,u might toss in Sudbury as well,all those teams have a need for a goalie and an open Euro spot
Does Pav have any value, or are we just going to move him to open up the import spot and get nothing in return?

Old
04-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Sec108

Quote:

Sure we could aquire another goalie but would he be as good as Pav and cushion the blow for De kort to go it slow for the first little while playing the backup role.???

I like Cully but I dont think we would have made the playoffs with him in goal down the stretch.

If were going to make some noise next yr I say Pav stays and gets DeKort some experience.

To me Bowen is gone,Posa's traded,Czinder stays,Ebert traded for some nice picks,Pav& Koko stay,trade euro pick.

Lets see who's right???? lol

Old
04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
4 Bobby ORR

What about past talk of Koko becoming a Canadian citizen.
You can manipulate the CHL but not immigration.

Hey, why don't we say his family is being threatened in Russia and bring them over as refugees.

It is going to be tough to see which one goes as they are great assets for the Spits. I can't see Rychel passing on an import this year at the 15th pick.

Old
04-02-2012, 09:33 PM
jughead42*

I think its a bit presumptuous for us to say who should be the captain given the limited amount of insight we have as fans into the personal interactions on the team. Sure, we can say this guy would be a good candidate because of this or that, but team leaders in general earn the role rather than being given it. You can't say Rychel would be a bad choice because his dad owns the team, if he's the guy people follow in the dressing room then he's their leader. I'm not saying he is, I'm just saying you can't discount him if he steps forward and the rest look to him as a leader. Certain things make a good captain, but ultimately he has to be the guy that the team genuinely sees as their leader or it isn't going to work.

Section108 I agree that it will likely be difficult to find a goaltender as capable as Pavelka for next season. He's truly blossomed as one of the better returning goaltenders in the league. I truly hope the return takes into account just how valuable he is, and we don't just sell him for the sake of an open slot. With the 15 import pick I'm sure it could be traded for a pretty good return should we be forced to bite the bullet and keep Pavelka. The return from Pavelka would have to be juicy, and the player we use his spot on has to be magnificent for me to consider trading him.

Old
04-02-2012, 09:50 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Sure we could aquire another goalie but would he be as good as Pav and cushion the blow for De kort to go it slow for the first little while playing the backup role.???

I like Cully but I dont think we would have made the playoffs with him in goal down the stretch.

If were going to make some noise next yr I say Pav stays and gets DeKort some experience.

To me Bowen is gone,Posa's traded,Czinder stays,Ebert traded for some nice picks,Pav& Koko stay,trade euro pick.

Lets see who's right???? lol
I think Bowen stays,Posa stays,Czinder gets moved,Pavelka gets moved,spits pick up a goalie ie D"agostini,or Chartrand and Spits pick a stud D-man in the Euro draft ie Haag if they cant the forward they want

Old
04-02-2012, 10:25 PM
jughead42*

As difficult as it is to find a goaltender who can get the job done, is trading Pavelka really worth Hagg? If the Spits are going to jettison Pavelka for an import they should trade up if there's any chance the forward they want isn't going to be there. If Schmaltz shows up, it becomes a crowded house back there with Hagg in the mix too because they are forced to settle on him at 15. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against retooling that blue line at all, but we need some razzle dazzle up front to partner with Ho Sang if we get him. We have guys like Schmaltz, Butcher, and Seiloff who could potentially stabilize the back end, if 2 out of the 3 show up we're golden without adding Hagg. If anything, going to Hagg would indicate Rychel isn't very sure about getting his americans to show up which would be a blow.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Ottomatic

Jordan Schmaltz would be a one-and-done though, so we'd still have room for Haag.

Looking at 2014 only Ebert, Devlin and Bateman would be around, along with Bowen and McNaughton but they're more depth guys. Will Butcher comes over and we'd still have a spot or two open on defence.

I guess it ultimately comes down to if you think Pavelka is a Memorial Cup level goalie and if you think he'll deserve both an OA and Import spot come 2014.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
As difficult as it is to find a goaltender who can get the job done, is trading Pavelka really worth Hagg?
Without a doubt. Potential first round NHL pick. Olli Maata with better offensive skills. Trade two picks for Morrison if you have too, but dont give up on the 15th overall pick, there is some star potential in this import draft.

Old
04-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Without a doubt. Potential first round NHL pick. Olli Maata with better offensive skills. Trade two picks for Morrison if you have too, but dont give up on the 15th overall pick, there is some star potential in this import draft.
London had a top pick to get Maata. Spits will have to trade up if they want one of the stars. I know the draft can be gamed, but only so much.

Closed Thread