HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

'96 for 2012 ohl draft prospects (Part 3)

Old
03-31-2012, 11:24 AM
chewerjones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernOntario View Post
Are your sources saying Fabbri won't report or Dubas would pass on him? Unless something has changed, I spoke to his dad who insisted the kid would unequivably go to the Soo. The Greyhounds have to get this right...Curcurruto (2010) has to be considered a bit of a disappointment at this point and Beukeboom (2009) an absolute BUST....I honestly believe McKeown is better RIGHT NOW than Nurse, so this year's pick has to be 100% bang on.
When did you talk to his dad?

I heard from the 2 sources this past weekend.

I was told that Fabbri wont report.

chewerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:51 AM
ExtremeHockeyFan

One week until the big day!

ExtremeHockeyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:02 PM
mapleleaf979

If the Hounds decide to choose highly-regarded Mississauga Rebels centre Robby Fabbri with the fourth choice of the April 7 Ontario Hockey League draft, the 16-year-old will definitely report. In fact, it couldn’t be more automatic....read on below.

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3515215

“I love the Sault. I’ve been visiting there since I was a little kid,” said Fabbri, who captained the 2011-2012 Rebels. “Without a doubt I’d report. I’ve been a Greyhounds fan since I was young.”

“And I’d love for my son to play in the Sault,” said Len, who remembers playing high school basketball for the St. Mary’s Knights in the early 1980s under then head coach Ray Barsanti. “It would be perfect. It would be amazing.”

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post

Fabbri would report. Not an issue.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Gensfan9

Quote:

They must be having a very hard time convincing the players they want to go there. Gotta feel for them as the Soo is a great hockey town. I don't think they are very hi on fabbri as they wanted a big forward and from what I heard it was Dal Colle. If Dal Colle isn't reporting then maybe their hand will be forced to take someone they don'y want. It sucks not having a top pick in the line-up but before I took a kid that I was unsure on, I would take the best player available - the player that could return the most picks and draft him. They would still get the 5th pick next year I believe and have all those picks. The rebuild may be pushed back a year but look what Kingston did last year. Sure Domi is better then who they draft at 9 but they got a lot of other picks and made some great trades during the season. They have set themselves up for a few years. For example; I don't know erie's status on picks but I think a kid may change his tune if he is dealt to erie for picks and get to build a team with CMD.

Gensfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticmolder View Post
O.k if anybody out there give us a sleeper pick, all you talk about are the first 4 team in the g and top teams in the o and top team on the alliance.

You mean nobody from the JRcanadiens and Toronto Red wings, or bramton will get drafted.???? Thats the exciting part of the draft
Jr Canadiens - Jake Gilmour and Quinn Syrydiuk are second half of the draft guys

Toronto Red Wings - Jake Harrison, Mitchell Shennette and Robert Byckowski are rated as 5-8 round guys. Brendan Lemieux would be a top 40 pick but hes pretty legit about the US College scene, so heill fall to the 5-8th rounds. Cody Symonds is another to watch

Brampton Battalion - Jake Coughler will be a 5-8 round guy.

Mention teams and ill be happy to comment. I think if you look at my history of posts every year, im not shy to talk about any team

Old
03-31-2012, 12:29 PM
bravo papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
You also said that McCann won't be going to the Petes 3rd overall, which again was reconfirmed yesterday by a reliable team source.

bravo papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:34 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
If Fabbri doesnt end up in the Soo, the team will never advertise that he wouldnt report, but rather that they had interests in another player at that spot. This would protect the player and his family, and the team for picking a player that wont report. Dubas cant afford to pick someone who will not show. The fans wont stand for it.

Also, it may be way too much pressure for the kid to be annointed as the "Saviour".

All I am saying is that anything can be spun to provide an end result. I am sure that there have been agents, and GMs that have pulled stunts like this in the past.

I am just reporting what I heard. I am not giving it the Chewerjones Rubber Stamp. LOL

Old
03-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Arsenault

Quote:
Jr Canadiens - Jake Gilmour and Quinn Syrydiuk are second half of the draft guys

Toronto Red Wings - Jake Harrison, Mitchell Shennette and Robert Byckowski are rated as 5-8 round guys. Brendan Lemieux would be a top 40 pick but hes pretty legit about the US College scene, so heill fall to the 5-8th rounds. Cody Symonds is another to watch

Mention teams and ill be happy to comment. I think if you look at my history of posts every year, im not shy to talk about any team
OK, you ask for it. What about Halton Hills and Burlington, both teams had a decent season yet not to many names come out? Also your thoughts on the Grey Bruce Goalies, to me two of the best two goalies, especially Young. On the ETA side why so few Whitby and Peterborough Players on radar. Both team had strong seasons. And ifinally in the G anyone outside the top four teams, any surprises?

Arsenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo papa View Post
You also said that McCann won't be going to the Petes 3rd overall, which again was reconfirmed yesterday by a reliable team source.
Is this "reliable source" a poster on this site, or just someone who you spoke to? Just inquiring.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
If Fabbri doesnt end up in the Soo, the team will never advertise that he wouldnt report, but rather that they had interests in another player at that spot. This would protect the player and his family, and the team for picking a player that wont report. Dubas cant afford to pick someone who will not show. The fans wont stand for it.

Also, it may be way too much pressure for the kid to be annointed as the "Saviour".

All I am saying is that anything can be spun to provide an end result. I am sure that there have been agents, and GMs that have pulled stunts like this in the past.

I am just reporting what I heard. I am not giving it the Chewerjones Rubber Stamp. LOL
Soo is looking at a few players. Fabbri is one of them. Hes not the top player on thier list, but very high. He would be happy to report, but may be passed because of a high rated player on their list agreeing to report there.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:42 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Soo is looking at a few players. Fabbri is one of them. Hes not the top player on thier list, but very high. He would be happy to report, but may be passed because of a high rated player on their list agreeing to report there.
Agreed.

I know their number 1 interest is Dal Colle, but the family isnt keen on reporting there.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:44 PM
agent001
Rookie User

Quote:

add Jason Rhynold from JRC as a possible late round pick, have to wonder about Gilmour, if it weren't for his last name i don't think anyone would look twice.

agent001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Gensfan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
OK, you ask for it. What about Halton Hills and Burlington, both teams had a decent season yet not to many names come out? Also your thoughts on the Grey Bruce Goalies, to me two of the best two goalies, especially Young. On the ETA side why so few Whitby and Peterborough Players on radar. Both team had strong seasons. And ifinally in the G anyone outside the top four teams, any surprises?
Eta- Strong seasons maybe amongst playing in their loop but not success in tournament. The Eta wasn't as strong as other years. Whitby - They were top end loaded and rode the same players. Connor Cummins will be in the 2nd round. Bobby mcIntyre 3-5. Clark 6-10. Grande 7-11. Hewak 10-15. gadjovich 12-15.

Petes - Heffernan 3-5 , Tugnutt - Whenever the petes feel like picking him. Di Clemente 12-15.....missing someone i think

Old
03-31-2012, 12:52 PM
mapleleaf979

The Soo must like Jared MCCann as well.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:53 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent001 View Post
add Jason Rhynold from JRC as a possible late round pick, have to wonder about Gilmour, if it weren't for his last name i don't think anyone would look twice.
I wonder if his father feels pressure? Having Easter dinner when your dad passed on u 15 plus times would have to piss u off.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:54 PM
mesh

other teams should do like goug gilmour , draft the player you want and if he does not report get the compensation and the kid can play tier 2 or go ncaa. too much catering to cry babies who want everything to go their way, you should be happy just to be playing in the best junior league in the world plus you make yourself look real bad when you dont report

mesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesh View Post
other teams should do like goug gilmour , draft the player you want and if he does not report get the compensation and the kid can play tier 2 or go ncaa. too much catering to cry babies who want everything to go their way, you should be happy just to be playing in the best junior league in the world plus you make yourself look real bad when you dont report
Good point, the downside is that is sets u back at least one year. I hate when kids dont report. I wish there was some strict rule in place. Otherwise the draft order is of no value. The draft is a way to create parity in the league. Im guessing London and Windsor stack up on some American Boys because they are the glamour franchises. U think Macinnis, clarke, jacobs, wants to play for Saginaw or Niagara? I doubt it.

Old
03-31-2012, 01:00 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesh View Post
You have to realize that you are talking about 15 year olds and not 18 year old NHL draft Eligible players.

I know the topic has been overworked on many sites, but parents and kids should have reasons for picking certain teams, whether it be education, family, convenience, practicality and even the quality of the OHL program that they are going to?

Old
03-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Gensfan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent001 View Post
A few more players who have't been thrown out as much. G and Eta

Toronto Nats - E. Smith 4-7, Shane 6-8, both goalies...

COW - Hickey

Ajax-Pick - Shore

Old
03-31-2012, 01:17 PM
NorthernOntario

Quote:

About 3 weeks ago in the Soo....he seemed pretty sincere to me. Could something have happened in the last 3 weeks for him to chnage his mind????

NorthernOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Gensfan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernOntario View Post
About 3 weeks ago in the Soo....he seemed pretty sincere to me. Could something have happened in the last 3 weeks for him to chnage his mind????
Maybe he found out his kid isn't as high on the list as he thinks he should be and feels a little slighted that he is the fall back plan??

Old
03-31-2012, 01:38 PM
mesh

to chewerjones i know what you are saying but somebody has to report to that team and all first round picks get the gold education package

mesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:16 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gensfan9 View Post
They must be having a very hard time convincing the players they want to go there. Gotta feel for them as the Soo is a great hockey town. I don't think they are very hi on fabbri as they wanted a big forward and from what I heard it was Dal Colle. If Dal Colle isn't reporting then maybe their hand will be forced to take someone they don'y want. It sucks not having a top pick in the line-up but before I took a kid that I was unsure on, I would take the best player available - the player that could return the most picks and draft him. They would still get the 5th pick next year I believe and have all those picks. The rebuild may be pushed back a year but look what Kingston did last year. Sure Domi is better then who they draft at 9 but they got a lot of other picks and made some great trades during the season. They have set themselves up for a few years. For example; I don't know erie's status on picks but I think a kid may change his tune if he is dealt to erie for picks and get to build a team with CMD.
I like your thinking Gensfan. I am really hoping Erie can maybe acquire other skilled players that otherwise would not have reported. If it was me I would play for Erie if McDavid is playing here. He alone will give all of his teammates exposure.

OHLFan8771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:36 PM
mapleleaf979

Otters beat writer Victor Fernandes reported Friday that "a source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Friday that standout center Connor McDavid is expected to be the Otters' guest of honor" at a draft party the team is throwing on Easter weekend. The Ontario Hockey League priority selection draft is on April 7.

Fernandes also spoke to Ken Strong, McDavid's AAA midget coach with the Toronto Marlboros. It seems telling that the decision to apply to Hockey Canada for exceptional status was made with the knowledge the Otters, who won only 10 games all season, would chose No. 1.
Strong said [the McDavids] chose to apply "based on (Erie) was probably where he was going to end up. They haven't gone back from that."
Strong said he hasn't talked with McDavid or his parents in the past 10 days.
"The last I heard was (that) he was willing to go (to Erie)," Strong said. "They're good people. He just wants to play hockey. I know (Erie is) far away from home, but he's a mature kid."
Strong calls McDavid "the next phenom" and said he is clearly the top prospect in the draft. Strong raved about McDavid's skating ability, speed, hands and playmaking skills.
"He takes the puck into traffic and comes out with it," Strong said. (Erie Times-News)