HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

'96 for 2012 ohl draft prospects (Part 3)

Old
03-31-2012, 01:44 PM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Otters beat writer Victor Fernandes reported Friday that "a source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Friday that standout center Connor McDavid is expected to be the Otters' guest of honor" at a draft party the team is throwing on Easter weekend. The Ontario Hockey League priority selection draft is on April 7.

Fernandes also spoke to Ken Strong, McDavid's AAA midget coach with the Toronto Marlboros. It seems telling that the decision to apply to Hockey Canada for exceptional status was made with the knowledge the Otters, who won only 10 games all season, would chose No. 1.
Strong said [the McDavids] chose to apply "based on (Erie) was probably where he was going to end up. They haven't gone back from that."
Strong said he hasn't talked with McDavid or his parents in the past 10 days.
"The last I heard was (that) he was willing to go (to Erie)," Strong said. "They're good people. He just wants to play hockey. I know (Erie is) far away from home, but he's a mature kid."
Strong calls McDavid "the next phenom" and said he is clearly the top prospect in the draft. Strong raved about McDavid's skating ability, speed, hands and playmaking skills.
"He takes the puck into traffic and comes out with it," Strong said. (Erie Times-News)
I posted it in another thread but to me it sounds very close to being a done deal and I know all Otters fan could not be anticipated this any more.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:13 PM
fandehockey

Could someone give a rundown of all the Alliance players from all Alliance teams expected to go in the draft (not just top 5 rounds, but all rounds)? Thanks!

fandehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:53 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesh View Post
to chewerjones i know what you are saying but somebody has to report to that team and all first round picks get the gold education package
Post Secondary Education for first rounders is similar and not the issue, but rather the local high schools while they are playing on the OHL team.

Also, there are alot of organizations that run a first class system for players, fans and parents, as they have the resources and ethics to do so. While others dont have the resources or ethics to run first rate organizations and programs.

As Tiger mentioned before, there are OHL teams that need to build better programs, to lure the better hockey talent.

chewerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesh View Post
other teams should do like goug gilmour , draft the player you want and if he does not report get the compensation and the kid can play tier 2 or go ncaa. too much catering to cry babies who want everything to go their way, you should be happy just to be playing in the best junior league in the world plus you make yourself look real bad when you dont report
Ask yourself this mesh, would you send your own son anywhere you weren't confident wouldn't provide a first rate life and hockey experience? Honestly....unlike the NHL draft, we're discussing adolscents not adults.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Arsenault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Ask yourself this mesh, would you send your own son anywhere you weren't confident wouldn't provide a first rate life and hockey experience? Honestly....unlike the NHL draft, we're discussing adolscents not adults.
I fully agree, any club that expects to attract 16/17 year old boys away from their friends and family to further their hockey carreer should be able to guarantee the best poossible environment for him to not only develop as a hockey player but also provide the best educational and "family" environment possible. If a club cannot provide this consistently, then this club should either fold, move on to a region that can or accept the fact that their club will likely never be able to build from the bottom up. Afterall these kids are still kids and while hockey is their dream ;as parents we also need to ensure they are in the best possible environment to grow as individuals.

Arsenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:04 PM
no Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Jr Canadiens - Jake Gilmour and Quinn Syrydiuk are second half of the draft guys

Toronto Red Wings - Jake Harrison, Mitchell Shennette and Robert Byckowski are rated as 5-8 round guys. Brendan Lemieux would be a top 40 pick but hes pretty legit about the US College scene, so heill fall to the 5-8th rounds. Cody Symonds is another to watch

Brampton Battalion - Jake Coughler will be a 5-8 round guy.

Mention teams and ill be happy to comment. I think if you look at my history of posts every year, im not shy to talk about any team
How about Thunder Bay Kings kids? I know a few are getting interviews but don't expect any to go high.

no Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:08 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo papa View Post
You also said that McCann won't be going to the Petes 3rd overall, which again was reconfirmed yesterday by a reliable team source.
You are the only one claiming this out of everybody credible on here and twitter.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Southernguy
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gensfan9 View Post
Maybe he found out his kid isn't as high on the list as he thinks he should be and feels a little slighted that he is the fall back plan??
Fabbri has always said he would report and from what I heard he would and still will. Who are your sources? Also heard Dal Colle not in the mix.

Southernguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:22 PM
defensehockey19

McDavid- Erie
Mckeown- Fronts
Cornel- Petes
McCann- Soo
Ho-Sang- Spits
Fabbri- Guelph

Old
03-31-2012, 07:25 PM
mapleleaf979

Last year in the QMJHL Baie Drakkar drafted Nathan Mackinnon. Mackinnon didnt want to report. Halifax Mooseheads gave up 3 future first round picks to get Mackinnon who is a phenom. My point is those 3 first round picks will help Drakkar greatly....

If I was the GM of Peterbourough or Sault Ste Marie, id take HOsang and start a bidding war for watever team wants him, if he wont report, so be it. Teams that have already banked on his presence would be forced to cut ties or overpay. Something like this could actually help build your team quite quickly in the future. Kingston will benefit greatly from having #2 and #9 this year as a result of the Domi not reporting ordeal. Doing this to me would be a smart rebuild move for the future. Maybe that team overpays and trades u the player they selected in the draft and gives u other assets or a first rounder next year.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 03-31-2012 at 07:30 PM.
mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:31 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Last year in the QMJHL Baie Drakkar drafted Nathan Mackinnon. Mackinnon didnt want to report. Halifax Mooseheads gave up 3 future first round picks to get Mackinnon who is a phenom. My point is those 3 first round picks will help Drakkar greatly....

If I was the GM of Peterbourough or Sault Ste Marie, id take HOsang and start a bidding war for watever team wants him, if he wont report, so be it. Teams that have already banked on his presence would be forced to cut ties or overpay. Something like this could actually help build your team quite quickly in the future. Kingston will benefit greatly from having #2 and #9 this year as a result of the Domi not reporting ordeal. Doing this to me would be a smart rebuild move for the future. Maybe that team overpays and trades u the player they selected in the draft and gives u other assets or a first rounder next year.
How much would Josh Ho-Sang be worth.... Cant trade firsts... So 3 2nd's'..? 4?..

Old
03-31-2012, 07:38 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
How much would Josh Ho-Sang be worth.... Cant trade firsts... So 3 2nd's'..? 4?..
They would automatically be awarded a first rounder next year correct, if he didnt report? Isnt that how Kingston got #9 this year? Domi was deemed a defected pick and got a compensatory first rounder and 3 second rounderse were given from London. So maybe 4 second rounders for Hosang or 3 and 2 thirds. Im not sure. Depends who starts bidding.

He is worth alot. Im sure u could get a nice package. Why help your competitors and let him drop? I personally would not pass on him at #3.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 03-31-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old
03-31-2012, 07:46 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
They would automatically be awarded a first rounder next year correct, if he didnt report? Isnt that how Kingston got #9 this year? Domi was deemed a defected pick and got a compensatory first rounder and 3 seconds. So maybe 4 second rounders for Hosang or 3 and 2 thirds. Im not sure. Depends who starts bidding.

He is worth alot. Im sure u could get a nice package. Why help your competitors and let him drop? I personally would not pass on him at #3.
Yes, you would get a compensation first round pick. But unsigned players can only be traded for picks... I fear Reid cant turn those picks into equal value to say what Cornel will bring in 2 years.

Old
03-31-2012, 07:50 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Yes, you would get a compensation first round pick. But unsigned players can only be traded for picks... I fear Reid cant turn those picks into equal value to say what Cornel will bring in 2 years.
Thats the debate to what I brought up. What u suggested is safe, what I suggested is somewhat of a risk/reward. Cornel looks damn good and it would be painful to watch him play on another team knowing u could have him paired with Ritchie. Next year though, u would have 2 top 5 picks to work with, a few seconds. On the flipside your competitor gets 2 studs in the first round this year, that will set there team up.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 03-31-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old
03-31-2012, 07:53 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Thats the debate to what I brought up. What u suggested is safe, what I suggested is somewhat of a risk/reward. Cornel looks damn good and it would be painful to watch him play on another team knowing u could have him paired with Ritchie. Next year though, u would have 2 top 5 picks to work with, a few seconds.
Agreed, top big skilled boys. Both going to playing really hard in 2 years for their NHL draft year.. Going to be fun to watch.

Old
03-31-2012, 08:20 PM
cfaub

A lot of risk when drafting kids that won't report in certain situations.

A team like Peterborough could probably get away with it this season.

A team like the Soo who has been rebuilding for about four seasons straight now plus has the recent deal for Campbell to deal with probably can't get away with it trying to justify it to their fan base especially if they have a top kid willing to report.

If you take something like the Soo drafting Ho Sang you likely see Windsor take Mccann then deal for Ho sang as well. Sure the Soo likely gets a 2 2nds and a 3rd, I believe that was what Kingston got for Domi, but they also need to justify Rychel getting two top end kids in a deep draft plus whoever else Windsor drafts while they are waiting for future drafts to reap the benefits of the deal.

A fifth season of rebuilding that will easily turn into a sixth would likely bring a quick end to the Kyle Dubas era in the Soo and create a big issue with fans who will nt see a competitive team again until the 2014/15 season.

Peterborough who already has a solid core going forward could afford it a bit more but still do you stall what should be some nice progression next season for a couple of extra picks that puts them a step back just for a couple of picks that won't pay off for a couple of season still.

If McDavid was not in play for Erie they are in the situation to pull it off. Kingston has already started to line up things for the future with the deals they have made this past season and likely does not want to slow down the momentum they are starting to build.

Tough spot this year because of the individual circumstances of each team ahead of Windsor.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:17 PM
defensehockey19

It would be great to see somebody mess with Rychel.. But im sure Ho-Sang will play for Windsor.

Old
03-31-2012, 10:02 PM
BigBuck

Kingston got 3 2nds for Domi. Erie's and Guelph's this year and London's 2015 pick plus the 9th pick this year. They traded Guelph's pick this year for Billy Jenkins who looked pretty good at the end of the season. After this years draft I think they should do ok next year mostly because of drafting Domi.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:32 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
A lot of risk when drafting kids that won't report in certain situations.

A team like Peterborough could probably get away with it this season.

A team like the Soo who has been rebuilding for about four seasons straight now plus has the recent deal for Campbell to deal with probably can't get away with it trying to justify it to their fan base especially if they have a top kid willing to report.

If you take something like the Soo drafting Ho Sang you likely see Windsor take Mccann then deal for Ho sang as well. Sure the Soo likely gets a 2 2nds and a 3rd, I believe that was what Kingston got for Domi, but they also need to justify Rychel getting two top end kids in a deep draft plus whoever else Windsor drafts while they are waiting for future drafts to reap the benefits of the deal.

A fifth season of rebuilding that will easily turn into a sixth would likely bring a quick end to the Kyle Dubas era in the Soo and create a big issue with fans who will nt see a competitive team again until the 2014/15 season.

Peterborough who already has a solid core going forward could afford it a bit more but still do you stall what should be some nice progression next season for a couple of extra picks that puts them a step back just for a couple of picks that won't pay off for a couple of season still.

If McDavid was not in play for Erie they are in the situation to pull it off. Kingston has already started to line up things for the future with the deals they have made this past season and likely does not want to slow down the momentum they are starting to build.

Tough spot this year because of the individual circumstances of each team ahead of Windsor.
This is exactly what Windsor wants to happen. Regardless if Ho-sang is picked at 2-4, he will still end up in Windsor. Rychel has raved about his skill over the past 2 years. Drafting McCann and trading for Hosang would be like the Domi, Horvat acquisition London made last year.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:45 PM
mapleleaf979

^^ Exactly and Kingston benefits this year from that scenario, drafting 2 players in the top 10 for a very deep draft. It looks like its a win-win for both London and Kingston. In fact Id rather be in Kingston's shoes in this scenario. Peterbourough and SSM would have 2 top 5 picks next year if they took that risk and also missed the playoffs.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:17 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Jr Canadiens - Jake Gilmour and Quinn Syrydiuk are second half of the draft guys

Toronto Red Wings - Jake Harrison, Mitchell Shennette and Robert Byckowski are rated as 5-8 round guys. Brendan Lemieux would be a top 40 pick but hes pretty legit about the US College scene, so heill fall to the 5-8th rounds. Cody Symonds is another to watch

Brampton Battalion - Jake Coughler will be a 5-8 round guy.

Mention teams and ill be happy to comment. I think if you look at my history of posts every year, im not shy to talk about any team
Brenden Lemieux was a sure fire 2nd round pick and could have possibly squeaked in the late first round if he committed to the O. His style of play is more suited towards the OHL but I believe unlike players in the past he will stick with his commitment unless teams like London or Kitchener lure him in. Syrydiuk's offensive skills was much more improved from last year when I saw him play with the Red Wings. He just continues to get better, he will be a good mid round pick. I like Cj Bollers also as solid defenseman, sometimes he gets overlooked as people are generally looking for Salituro, Ilekys, & Garcia but he is a player that continues to improve his game. Still needs minor tweaks in his game and to work on his strength but that's an area all players needs to work on. Berton and Foss played well in games that I watched down the stretch as well. Alexandre Renaud from the Ottawa 67's has a good upside as he's very physical and already has OHL size. His offensive game still needs work but definitely has potential.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:47 AM
cfaub

Quote:
^^ Exactly and Kingston benefits this year from that scenario, drafting 2 players in the top 10 for a very deep draft. It looks like its a win-win for both London and Kingston. In fact Id rather be in Kingston's shoes in this scenario. Peterbourough and SSM would have 2 top 5 picks next year if they took that risk and also missed the playoffs.
Normally I would not debate the merits of drafting this way and taking the comp pick but look at the Soo:

One playoff appearance in the last four years.

2012/13 becomes another year of bottoming out most likely.

2013/14 they draft their pick plus a comp which really makes it the start of a rebuild.

2014/15 starts to show the benefits of of drafting someone who does not report this year.

2015/16 they should start to show dominance.

2016/17 they should be contenders.

How many fans are willing to put up with this? The Soo would start to look like Kingston had the last however many years. The Soo basically bottomed out two seasons ago and are looking like they could do it again this season if something doesn't change quickly. I don't think they can afford not having a high end first rounder who does not report.

Peterborough was a better team then what the standings showed but the injuries they went through had a major effect. They should be much better this season just icing a healthy lineup and could make use of the extra picks to improvve right away and still have the comp pick as a bonus next year.

As for Rychel liking the idea of the Soo drafting someone who will not report, I agree, he couldn't ask for a better scenario, get a McCann or someone similar with his pick then deal for Ho Sang as well. If the draft goes the way some are speculating for Windsor already he will think Christmas came eight months early if the Soo took Ho Sang.

I cou;d see it now:

Windsor drafts McCann in the first, if speculation works out, Schmaltz later (and his brother comes with him, don't know the likelihood of this happening though), draft another solid kid somewhere in the second or third then have Ho Sang available in a deal as well. Likely throw in a high end import pick in June as well and he has one of the best drafts he has had since they took over the team.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:52 AM
bravo papa

Quote:
You are the only one claiming this out of everybody credible on here and twitter.
You're right - it's Cornel to the Petes. Not McCann. My source is obviously totally unreliable. In case my sarcasm wasn't thick enough, we'll see in 6 days.

Credible on here was the key concept. Don't disallusion yourself with a bunch of men who sit around and write blogs all day.

The arrogance of Tigers1992 is actually funny in a complete loser sort of way, but then again, he's the one that has spent the last 8 years watching 15 year old boys.

Well, I'm off to go fight those GTA fires - all the best!

bravo papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:58 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo papa View Post
You're right - it's Cornel to the Petes. Not McCann. My source is obviously totally unreliable. In case my sarcasm wasn't thick enough, we'll see in 6 days.

Credible on here was the key concept. Don't disallusion yourself with a bunch of men who sit around and write blogs all day.

The arrogance of Tigers1992 is actually funny in a complete loser sort of way, but then again, he's the one that has spent the last 8 years watching 15 year old boys.

Well, I'm off to go fight those GTA fires - all the best!
Lol! That was the best post ive read in a while.... Tigers has arrogance? Anyways, your right we'll find out in 6 days.

Last edited by defensehockey19: 04-01-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old
04-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
OK, you ask for it. What about Halton Hills and Burlington, both teams had a decent season yet not to many names come out? Also your thoughts on the Grey Bruce Goalies, to me two of the best two goalies, especially Young. On the ETA side why so few Whitby and Peterborough Players on radar. Both team had strong seasons. And ifinally in the G anyone outside the top four teams, any surprises?
Halton Hills - Christopher Poletek, Marty Burwell, Kevin Gergely, Rourke Ferguson and Lucas Zitmanis are all names to watch. I think all have the potential to be drafted.

Burlington - Bryce Mayea is a player who I like. Big physical forward, needs to be more consistent. Jeffrey Gilligan is a nice player as well

Grey Bruce - As far as goalies go, Cameron Harron is the one to watch IMO. Young is good, but 5'7 is hard to overcome. Also watch for Riley Robertson, big defenceman, 6'4. Ben Scheel should also be a mid round pick.

Whitby - I dont think its much different then other years. Team success does not always mean success in the draft. Scouts draft for potential, what they will be in 2 years, not what they are now.
I think guys like Conor Cummins and Bobby MacIntyre will go reletively high, with Everett Clarke, Kyler Challis, Brendan Mosher, Carter Landry, Liam Grande and others will also go. Whitby could have the most players drafted this year outside of the Marlboros and Rebels.

Peterborough - See Whitby. Chad Heffernan and Boyd DiClemente will be high players, outside of that, look for Vince Dunn and perhaps Pat Young to be taken as well.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote