HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which first round scenario would you most prefer?

View Poll Results: What first-round matchup would you most prefer?
Detroit (4) vs. Nashville (5) 8 19.51%
Detroit (5) vs. Nashville (4) 0 0%
Detroit (4) vs. Chicago (5) 19 46.34%
Detroit (5) vs. Chicago (4) 0 0%
Detroit (6) vs. LAK/PHO/SJS/DAL (3) 10 24.39%
We're screwed regardless. 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

vCash: 500
Which first round scenario would you most prefer?

I hate to admit it, but I would not be extremely disappointed if we fell to 6th so we could play the 3rd seed. I would rather that than play Nashville, though home-ice is key. A Detroit (4) vs. Chicago (5) would be the best-case scenario, though I don't see Nashville falling to 6th.

Which scenario would you prefer as a Wings fan?

Last edited by Zetsyuk: 04-01-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Shoalzie

Wings as the 4, Hawks as the 5 got my vote...Toews and Keith will be back by the playoffs but I'm not afraid of their goaltending and they're about as meh on the road as the Wings. The Wings should win if they got home ice against them. I've said finishing 6th and playing a Pacific team isn't bad...as long as it isn't San Jose.

Worst scenario would be Nashville as the 4 and the Wings as the 5. Sharks as the 3 and Wings as the 6 would be almost certain death as well given recent history.

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Take out the best team first. Waiting around for the great teams is only advantageous if they get injuries... but what if YOU get injuries?

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I prefer the scenerio where we win. wouldn't mind that scenario for the second round, either.

04-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I prefer the scenerio where we win. wouldn't mind that scenario for the second round, either.
Me too. It would make posting here tolerable during the off-season.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Me too. It would make posting here tolerable during the off-season.
Wait a minute, you're not looking forward to four months of griping about how if the Wings had only followed everyone's personal plan for success, that this season would have turned out soooo much better? And how the club is destined to fail as long as Q/E/Holmstrom/Hudler/Babcock/Holland/Bertuzzi are around? Those are the golden days of the board.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:12 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Really not interested in the Sharks in Rd 1.
Honestly, a Toews-less Hawks might be the best bet. This guy was Hart worthy until the concussion struck

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:19 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Wait a minute, you're not looking forward to four months of griping about how if the Wings had only followed everyone's personal plan for success, that this season would have turned out soooo much better? And how the club is destined to fail as long as Q/E/Holmstrom/Hudler/Babcock/Holland/Bertuzzi are around? Those are the golden days of the board.

If we lose in the first or second round, I think I'll take some time off of this board until about the first of June.

We're getting guys back at a good time, when they're healthy for the playoffs. I just hope Jimmy's groin is completely healed because I don't want to see us have to rely on Conklin in the playoffs.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:42 AM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Take out the best team first. Waiting around for the great teams is only advantageous if they get injuries... but what if YOU get injuries?
What if you have injuries and need them to heal? Helm on the PK will be nice against Nashville or Chicago or Vancouver or St. Louis.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post

If we lose in the first or second round, I think I'll take some time off of this board until about the first of June.

We're getting guys back at a good time, when they're healthy for the playoffs. I just hope Jimmy's groin is completely healed because I don't want to see us have to rely on Conklin in the playoffs.
If Jimmy can go a few games here and not use his stick as a crutch to get off the ice with, I think he'll be fine - though I'm not a fan of having to rely on Conklin, either. it might be a bit different if MacDonald was healthy, I think we could survive a couple of games with him, but with him being out and, at best, rusty if he came back...well, maybe we have a big fat guy in GR we can call up if it comes to that (McCollum?).

Old
04-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post
What if you have injuries and need them to heal? Helm on the PK will be nice against Nashville or Chicago or Vancouver or St. Louis.
We're more likely to accrue more injuries as the playoffs go along, though. There's a good chance that we'll be as healthy as we're going to be over a playoff run in the first round. It's when you get a bit lucky and your health holds out over 3+ rounds, though, that you make cup runs. So, here's to hoping for health.

Old
04-02-2012, 08:52 PM
hyduK

4th seed. Nashville or Chicago, doesn't matter. If we can't beat Nashville with home ice, then we aren't winning the cup anyway.

Let's say we hypothetically got 6th...the standings would be:

1. Vancouver/St. Louis
2. St. Louis/St. Louis
3. SJ/LA/Phoenix (I doubt dallas will jump all 3 of them)
4. Nashville
5. Chicago
6. Detroit
7. SJ/LA/Phoenix/Dallas
8. SJ/LA/Phoenix/Dallas

So, not only do we have to face a west coast team first round...but then we'd either be facing Vancouver (another west coast team), or Nash/Chi (if St Louis or Vancouver lose first round, which is entirely possible...I doubt both of them lose though) second round. If you're scared of Nashville in the first round, they'll likely be even tougher in the second. And if we draw Vancouver then that means we'll end up with Nash/St Louis/Chicago in the 3rd...which again, is worse than just facing them in the first.

For me, the absolute ideal situation would be us finishing 4th...and St. Louis getting 1st. Then taking a Nashville > St. Louis > Vancouver (or one of the pacific teams) path to the finals. Minimize travel as much as possible.

Again, for me this all comes down to the fact that if we can't beat Nashville in the first round, we aren't contenders anyway. Two straight series against a west coast team with home ice is worse than just facing Nashville.

hyduK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyduK View Post
4th seed. Nashville or Chicago, doesn't matter. If we can't beat Nashville with home ice, then we aren't winning the cup anyway.

Let's say we hypothetically got 6th...the standings would be:

1. Vancouver/St. Louis
2. St. Louis/St. Louis
3. SJ/LA/Phoenix (I doubt dallas will jump all 3 of them)
4. Nashville
5. Chicago
6. Detroit
7. SJ/LA/Phoenix/Dallas
8. SJ/LA/Phoenix/Dallas

So, not only do we have to face a west coast team first round...but then we'd either be facing Vancouver (another west coast team), or Nash/Chi (if St Louis or Vancouver lose first round, which is entirely possible...I doubt both of them lose though) second round. If you're scared of Nashville in the first round, they'll likely be even tougher in the second. And if we draw Vancouver then that means we'll end up with Nash/St Louis/Chicago in the 3rd...which again, is worse than just facing them in the first.

For me, the absolute ideal situation would be us finishing 4th...and St. Louis getting 1st. Then taking a Nashville > St. Louis > Vancouver (or one of the pacific teams) path to the finals. Minimize travel as much as possible.

Again, for me this all comes down to the fact that if we can't beat Nashville in the first round, we aren't contenders anyway. Two straight series against a west coast team with home ice is worse than just facing Nashville.
Good post yes I'm scared of Nashville but you are probably right facing them in the second or third round might be even tougher if we fail, we weren't contender anyway and maybe some major changes would be ahead of us.

Regardless of who we get winning the West this year will be unreal. Sooooo scary teams Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis, Vancouver and if they make it our achilles heel San Jose thats an beyond tough task this year.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote