HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Brad Ross

Old
06-17-2010, 10:40 AM
pennerstheman

vCash: 500
Brad Ross

Where do people see this guy going? Also his potenial? I would love for the Oilers to pick him up!!

pennerstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
STL fan in IA

I see him going in the mid 2nd round. I see him as a future 3rd liner - a guy who will chip in a little offense here and there but will mostly be known as an agitator/pest type. He's one of those types of players that you hate to play against but it's good when he's on your team.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
I see a Darcy Tucker in him. Someone who will probably be a gritty 2nd liner, maybe chip in 20 goals. And he'll probably go late 1st/early 2nd

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:59 AM
PhoPhan

Steve Downie and Steve Ott both went in the late first round, and Ross projects to be a similar player. With the solid seasons both just had, I imagine Ross will be drafted in a similar spot, probably in the 25-35 range.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
I see a Darcy Tucker in him. Someone who will probably be a gritty 2nd liner, maybe chip in 20 goals. And he'll probably go late 1st/early 2nd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Steve Downie and Steve Ott both went in the late first round, and Ross projects to be a similar player. With the solid seasons both just had, I imagine Ross will be drafted in a similar spot, probably in the 25-35 range.
Both of these. I think there is a chance a team loves him in the late first and takes him. I see pretty good potential with him...

Love this kid, especially since he is pretty light at about 170 pounds or so and still doesn't back down from anyone.

The Tucker (early Leaf days) and Downie comparables are pretty good.

Dirty SOB and I love him!

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:20 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I've been hoping he'd be there when the Oilers pick at #31, but these are the types of players that teams will make a bit of a reach for at the end of the 1st round. That's exactly where I see him going too. Somewhere between 25 and 30.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Would like to see SJ get their own version of Steve Ott.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Canuck71

When I see him play I see a player in between a Steve Ott and a Mike Fisher type. I think he could be a similar player to Mike Fisher if he reaches his full potential, he will just be a little more agitating.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

id love for him to be there at 35

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:37 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
I want this kid in Montreal

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:50 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

one of my favorite guy in the draft. i want him in montreal too. and he's also a habs fan too.

http://nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com/20...tland-whl.html

Quote:
Brad Ross / Portland Winterhawks WHL

LW-L / 5-11.5, 175 / 28-May-92

Skating: 65 / Skill: 50 / Sense: 55 / Compete: 65 / Toughness: 70

Strengths: Makes life miserable for opponents. Very good skater. Improved skill level this season.

Weaknesses: Limited offensive upside. Might be a bit smallish to play his style in the NHL.

--

Ultra competitive and irritates opponents to the point of distraction. Always looks for the big hit. In every scrum after the whistle and will drop the gloves with anyone.

Underrated skater - has very good top speed and quickness. Uses speed well on the forecheck and always forces d-men to make a quick decision with the puck (and usually finishes the check with a big hit).

Skill level was the biggest question mark on this player coming into this season, but the hands started to come around and produced a lot more offense than scouts expected. And it's not just a benefit of being on the Niederreiter/Johansen line. He's got some legitimate offensive ability. It's worth considering that this guy was a big scorer in Bantam and had a bit of a late growth spurt, so the coordination might have suffered from that. But having said that, I don't think he's more than a 10-15 goal guy in the NHL.

Played some of his best hockey while Niederreiter was away at World Juniors, which was a surprising revelation. But was quite underwhelming in the playoffs, where it was clean he had the leash on him and was trying to stay out of the penalty box. Struggled to make a difference in the playoffs.

Summary: The hands coming around really help his status as a prospect and give him some more role possibilities (2nd or 3rd line, rather than just 4th line). But there is a little bit of concern about how such an intense personality will handle himself off the ice. But he's got so many ingredients that should play well in the NHL. Don't quite like this guy as much as my boss does (he's in the 1st round in the Red Line Draft Guide), but I still think he's a solid pick in the 30-40 range.

Draft Day: I don't think he goes in the first, but you never know. Probably a safe bet to go somewhere in the 2nd.

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
If the Avs dont take a big defensive defenseman with their 2nd round pick, I hope they take this kid.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Colin Black
Cut back, Smokey!

Ross is one of the better competitors in the WHL at the moment. Mean as hell, plays tough, and is quite talented offensively. I think Darcy Tucker was a good comparison. I'd be very happy to take him in the 2nd round if he's available. Trust me, he's got the drive to make the NHL.

Colin Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Both of those guys have considerably more pure skill than Ross. He's a nice little player though, good value mid to late 2nd.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 06:02 PM
PhoPhan

I'll agree that Downie and Ott are more skilled than is Ross, but "considerably" is a modifier I'd argue against.

In their draft years, Downie had 21-52-73 in 61 games, Ott had 23-39-62 in 66 games, and Brad Ross has had 27-41-68 in 71 games. Of course, he probably had better linemates, but his stats are certainly comparable.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
I'll agree that Downie and Ott are more skilled than is Ross, but "considerably" is a modifier I'd argue against.

In their draft years, Downie had 21-52-73 in 61 games, Ott had 23-39-62 in 66 games, and Brad Ross has had 27-41-68 in 71 games. Of course, he probably had better linemates, but his stats are certainly comparable.
I'm not going off their stats, I'm going off of their physical skills. First, he had VASTLY superior linemates, not just better ones. Second, in terms of pure physical ability, he lags behind the other two considerably. I actually like him a lot as a player but I think people are unrealistic about his offensive upside. I see a gritty, third liner who can chip in 30 or 40 points, maybe more in a career year. A lot of people seem to expect that he can be a 60 or 70 point power forward and I don't see that at all. Still would take him on my team in a heartbeat.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Fripp

Dubinsky had many of the same comparisons. Hopefully he has a big of a jump in development in his post-draft year.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 06:31 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinho View Post
I'm not going off their stats, I'm going off of their physical skills. First, he had VASTLY superior linemates, not just better ones. Second, in terms of pure physical ability, he lags behind the other two considerably. I actually like him a lot as a player but I think people are unrealistic about his offensive upside. I see a gritty, third liner who can chip in 30 or 40 points, maybe more in a career year. A lot of people seem to expect that he can be a 60 or 70 point power forward and I don't see that at all. Still would take him on my team in a heartbeat.
30 or 40 points with more in a career year is about what Ott is good for, too. Maybe a bit more, but I agree his potential falls short of 60 points a year.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Hope he's still on the board at 38th. Would be a good pick for the Devils.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

the reason he may be taken higher then people expect because he seems like a guy that has the tools to make it to the NHL and wont be a bust. whether he meets those expectations or not is a different story but i cant see him not making the NHL

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
30 or 40 points with more in a career year is about what Ott is good for, too. Maybe a bit more, but I agree his potential falls short of 60 points a year.
I can see him as a 20-25 goal/50 point player. He's the perfect compliment to an elite center.

Ryan Johansen should use some of his top10 pick contract money to buy Ross something nice.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:47 AM
Mathletic

just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks he's closer to a Brenden Morrow type of player than a Steve Ott kinda guy. I think his offensive abilities are getting underrated because of his gritty play.

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks he's closer to a Brenden Morrow type of player than a Steve Ott kinda guy. I think his offensive abilities are getting underrated because of his gritty play.
I agree with you. Ross has a pretty decent skill set. It was his grit and skill that helped the Winterhawks do so well this year. Niederreiter and Johansen are great talents, but Ross deserves some credit for the great seasons that they had.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Patty Roy

Based on what i've read, i wouldn't be opposed to the Habs selecting him at #27.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:20 PM
ferrisUML

If he's on the board at 35, I can definitely see the Islanders making this pick. We'll see if he's around that long though...

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote