HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the first FIVE things you would do as the new GM?

Old
04-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Andy

vCash: 500
How is Molson never on the same page as the people he employs? First with Gauthier after the RC signing he had to clarify about the french situation and now Molson and Savard have said two different things regarding the place of french in the hiring process. More and more, Molson is turning me off.

Listening to him talk about how much a fan he was scares me. I liked the fact that Gillette knew nothing about hockey because it meant that hockey matters were left with those who knew. Molson just appears like he wants to be TOO involved. I hope he just leaves hockey matters to hockey people.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:38 AM
idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Not a single NHL team wanted him. It's like you guys see "big and beefy" and think that's good enough to play at the highest level of hockey on earth. Get over it.
Not a single NHL team wanted Jagr in 2008. Seems he's doing all right this season with one of the better teams in the league. Rafalski was unwanted - not drafted, not offered a FA contract until he was 26 (only two years younger than Artyukhin). He had an okay career.

For that matter, just because he wasn't good enough a couple years ago doesn't mean he's not good enough now. Players grow and mature. I'm not saying that this applies to Artyukhin (I don't see enough KHL games to know for certain - although he does seem to have toned down the less pleasant aspects of his game), I'm just saying that your logic is bad.

As for thinking "big and beefy" is enough to play at the NHL level - I don't know where you got that. I said "big and beefy and mean and fast and able to play at a reasonably high level (the KHL, the IIHF World Championships)". Would I like to get a guy that can pot twenty goals a year as well as do all of the above? Sure. And if there's one available I say go at him hard. However in the absence of that what do we do? Play Palushaj or Leblanc on the fourth line? That's a tragic misuse of their talent. Who else do we have in the pipeline that can fill a fourth line grinder role the way Artyukhin could?

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Andy

So the Artyukhin love-fest has returned to HF I see?

I don't think Artyukhin should ever be mentioned in the same sentence as Jagr or Rafalski ever again. Artyukhin has the hockey IQ of a peanut and that's what will stop him from being a good player.

If Artyukhin was 5'11 or even 6'0, no one would ever mention his name.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

I don't think Artyukhin should ever be mentioned in the same sentence as Jagr or Rafalski ever again. Artyukhin has the hockey IQ of a peanut and that's what will stop him from being a good player.

Thank you. Not to mention the myth that the guy has a mean streak because of the odd hit or fight once every 25-30 games. Staubitz has been doing his job and Moen is a lot better ddfendively. If somehow Moen-White-Staubitz ends up to be the 4th line, we'll be fine.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Thank you. Not to mention the myth that the guy has a mean streak because of the odd hit or fight once every 25-30 games. Staubitz has been doing his job and Moen is a lot better ddfendively. If somehow Moen-White-Staubitz ends up to be the 4th line, we'll be fine.
I don't see Moen on the 4th line if he stays here. He'll cost 1.5-2 mil/year and should play a bit more than that.

I think a very good bottom 6 would be...

Bourque(motivated to bounce back from a terrible 2nd half)-Eller(already a solid contributer, keeps progressing)-Moen

White(solid 4th liner, hits fights and can kill penalities)-Pahlsson or Gaustad(cost permitting)-Staubitz/Darche or Blunden

LeBlanc-Conboy-Schultz-Engqvist as 1st callups

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't see Moen on the 4th line if he stays here. He'll cost 1.5-2 mil/year and should play a bit more than that.

I think a very good bottom 6 would be...

Bourque(motivated to bounce back from a terrible 2nd half)-Eller(already a solid contributer, keeps progressing)-Moen

White(solid 4th liner, hits fights and can kill penalities)-Pahlsson or Gaustad(cost permitting)-Staubitz/Darche or Blunden

LeBlanc-Conboy-Schultz-Engqvist as 1st callups
Personally the last 2 lines HAVE to be Bourque-Eller-Leblanc and Moen-White-Staubitz. I'm not talking about the 2nd line until the draft is done, because to me it's either Forsberg-Plekanec-Gionta or we draft 1 of the 2 centers available, trade Pleck and sign or trade for a 1st line left winger,

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Personally the last 2 lines HAVE to be Bourque-Eller-Leblanc and Moen-White-Staubitz. I'm not talking about the 2nd line until the draft is done, because to me it's either Forsberg-Plekanec-Gionta or we draft 1 of the 2 centers available, trade Pleck and sign or trade for a 1st line left winger,
You would rush Forsberg to the NHL at 18? I would prefer he play another year SEL and maybe a year AHL.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:02 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Replace 1 of Moen or Staubitz by Prust and its ok to me.

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
idk

Quote:

I'd hardly call it a love-fest. I'd like to see him on our fourth line. Where his lack of hockey IQ would hurt him much less. But where he could do some damage and rattle a few cages. Kostitsyn has the hockey IQ of a peanut too and he seems to have carved out a decent career for himself making use of the tools he has.

Just because a player is lacking in one or many areas doesn't mean he can't be used in the right situation. It's just a matter of putting him in the right situations and giving him the right tools.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:28 AM
idk

Quote:
He hits more per minute on the ice (in his last NHL season) than Emelin, Moen, Staubitz and White do (this season).

Old
04-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

1. Try to sign AK as UFA - I think he ends up being the odd man out in Nashville. If Slater becomes available try to sign him as a UFA.

2. Unless we can get Yakupov, try to trade our 1st for either Evander Kane or Huberdeau. Otherwise, draft Galchenyuk.

3. Re-sign Moen.

4. Trade Gionta, Plekanec and either Markov or Kaberle. Time to think rebuild as one of our needs. If Gionta won't waive his NTC, buy him out. I doubt he clears buy-out waivers, say hello to Columbus or NYI, Brian.

5.I'd give Gomez a chance to make the roster but only if he is on a line with Bourque. Enough of him sabotaging players that matter and he has to make the team and earn his ice time.

If we trade Plekanec, Gionta and Markov we can afford to keep Gomez until Leblanc or whoever is ready as a 3rd line centre. I have no interest in buying Gomez out and think he will finish his career in Hamilton. Trade or re-entry waivers for Bourque, however until then he gets a fresh start next season.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:07 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
How is Molson never on the same page as the people he employs? First with Gauthier after the RC signing he had to clarify about the french situation and now Molson and Savard have said two different things regarding the place of french in the hiring process. More and more, Molson is turning me off.

Listening to him talk about how much a fan he was scares me. I liked the fact that Gillette knew nothing about hockey because it meant that hockey matters were left with those who knew. Molson just appears like he wants to be TOO involved. I hope he just leaves hockey matters to hockey people.
Read what I bolded in your post and then see if what you said makes sense.

Many reasons to be upset with Molson but accusing him of being too disconnected while being too involved is setting the bar a little too high dont you think?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
If Gionta won't waive his NTC, buy him out. I doubt he clears buy-out waivers, say hello to Columbus or NYI, Brian.
How exactly does this help?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:

At least he's no Charles Wang, who bought a team just so he could be GM and hires idiots to play the GM role in public.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
How exactly does this help?
It's about moving forward - making decisions on who you want and who doesn't fit in future plans.

Unlike a lot of posters here, I think a rebuild should be more comprehensive than just releasing Darche.

Old
04-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
It's about moving forward - making decisions on who you want and who doesn't fit in future plans.

Unlike a lot of posters here, I think a rebuild should be more comprehensive than just releasing Darche.
Why would we not want to move forward with Gionta?

He isn't the captain for nothing, the guy is very well respected by the players, management and across the NHL and is an excellent example for the young guys. Plus his last 2 healthy seasons he scored 28 and 29 goals, so it would moronic just to move him for no good reason.

I see 3-4 large negatives with a move like that and no real positives. Having more cap room is a small one, but say we had 5 mil more cap room, what UFA could we sign that we can't sign now and would be better than Gionta?

Old
04-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:

He isn't the captain for nothing, the guy is very well respected by the players, management and across the NHL and is an excellent example for the young guys. Plus his last 2 healthy seasons he scored 28 and 29 goals, so it would moronic just to move him for no good reason.

I see 3-4 large negatives with a move like that and no real positives. Having more cap room is a small one, but say we had 5 mil more cap room, what UFA could we sign that we can't sign now and would be better than Gionta?
Anyway we wouldn't get much for an injured Gionta.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:56 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:

That depends. If we surround Gionta with smallish players, then his effectiveness is naturally diminished. If we surround Gionta with larger talented players, then his effectiveness increases.

The discussion of the true value of Gionta for the Canadiens cannot be discussed one way or the other in a vacuum.

We will simply have to wait to see which direction this team takes.

I do agree with his positive value based on his experience and how that will help with the younger players.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:11 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
That depends. If we surround Gionta with smallish players, then his effectiveness is naturally diminished. If we surround Gionta with larger talented players, then his effectiveness increases.

The discussion of the true value of Gionta for the Canadiens cannot be discussed one way or the other in a vacuum.

We will simply have to wait to see which direction this team takes.

I do agree with his positive value based on his experience and how that will help with the younger players.
I agree with your post SH. A further extension of this thought is will we be in a problem situation if Gallagher plays well enough in preseason to make the club.

I have no problem with Gionta and Desharnais, but add Gallagher to the mix and that's 1/3 of the top 9 forwards with diminutive proportions. And that's assuming that Gomez is gone.

I like the trend to ice a bigger team, and this is going backwards.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Corncob

Quote:

You don't rebuild by buying out perfectly serviceable players when you're not going to get anything better with the cap space on the UFA market.

Old
04-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
So who's centering our 1st/2nd line ?

Quote:
You would rush Forsberg to the NHL at 18? I would prefer he play another year SEL and maybe a year AHL.
Forsberg is one of the most NHL ready player in this draft my friend. Plus he's not playing in the SEL. GETCHA FACT STRAIGHTS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
Replace 1 of Moen or Staubitz by Prust and its ok to me.

So basically, take Moen who is the definition of a perfect third line player and replace him with a lesser, smaller player.

I think you guy's have just earned your spot in the shame yard...

(Im just being an ass obviously ...You have the right to have opinions..LOL)

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
So basically, take Moen who is the definition of a perfect third line player and replace him with a lesser, smaller player.

I think you guy's have just earned your spot in the shame yard...

(Im just being an ass obviously ...You have the right to have opinions..LOL)
Wait, what? Prust has more points in the last two seasons than any two seasons of Travis Moen's NHL career, is a better fighter and is an excellent penalty killer (maybe not Moen would shade it for penalty killing, but not a lot in it).

Old
04-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
You don't rebuild by buying out perfectly serviceable players when you're not going to get anything better with the cap space on the UFA market.
You also don't rebuild by keeping everybody but Darche.

I'd prefer to trade Gionta but if he doesn't want to waive his NTC, I'd still move forward without him and I'd do it the way I explained.

There are very few teams that have both cap space and a willingness to spend up to the cap limit so that would give us the opportunity to get good players that become available during the season.

This always happens every year and no, it wouldn't bother me if we were $10 million under the cap at the start of the season.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Wait, what? Prust has more points in the last two seasons than any two seasons of Travis Moen's NHL career, is a better fighter and is an excellent penalty killer (maybe not Moen would shade it for penalty killing, but not a lot in it).
When does Prust gets mentionned has a 3rd liner ?
Now ask yourself, when does Moen gets mentioned has a 3rd liner?
Better Fighter ? Both are middle weights that are willing to throw them with anybody. Sure Prust fights a hell of a lot more but he's not all that better.
I remember both of them fighting last year (or two years ago) and it was a clear draw and Moen was being real shaky.
All in all Moen >Prust. Now Prust to replace Staubitz would be great. Moen is over shadowed by all this media non-sense.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
When does Prust gets mentionned has a 3rd liner ?
Now ask yourself, when does Moen gets mentioned has a 3rd liner?
Was he a fourth liner when he was playing on a line with Brad Richards? Prust has played quite a lot on the Rangers third line this season.

And Moen isn't really a 'middleweight that is willing to throw them with anybody'. Moen fights in his weight class. Can't imagine Moen ever going after Steve McIntyre...