HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the first FIVE things you would do as the new GM?

Old
04-05-2012, 03:11 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Landeskog was 3.575 million this year
RNH was 3.775 million

Why is Grigorenko 2.5?
Could have to do with the bonus cushion, not sure though.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:52 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I am of the opinion that we can become a contender very quickly as we are much better than our record shows, so if we get lucky in the lottery and get Yakupov (should be able to contribute right away) adding somebody like Stoll would greatly help us in the post-season.
If the Habs don't address the issues on defense, they can forget about the playoffs next year imo.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

I see nothing wrong with Artyukhin. There's really nobody on our third/fourth lines that are so above him that would prevent him making the line-up. Plus he stood toe to toe with Chara.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Why bother hiring a new GM then.

I doubt we're going to get a GM who's willing to come in here unless he has the okay to clean house in regards to the older, veteran players. He may very well keep a couple of them around but I expect a bunch of them to be gone and Gionta to be in the bunch going.

Nashville did exactly what you suggested - getting a stay at home d-man and a winger.
From us no less. To make a playoff run, not as a partial or full rebuild.
What makes you think taht a new GM will want to get rid of everybody?

I'm sure moving Gomez's cap hit is a no brainer.

I don't see the benefit of dumping Gionta, his cap hit is not that high(doesn't prevent us from doing anything), he is an excellent leader and a good example to have with the kids coming up.

What does Nashville have to do with anything?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I see nothing wrong with Artyukhin. There's really nobody on our third/fourth lines that are so above him that would prevent him making the line-up. Plus he stood toe to toe with Chara.
Obviously a lot of teams saw something wrong, he's been let go by multiple teams.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:26 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
First thing I would do: Even if I'm francophone I would troll every media by doing my first press conference in english only haha

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:03 PM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Why does everyone want to get rid of Gionta so badly, he had back to back 28 and 29 goal seasons, and his contract isn't getting in the way of signing anyone.
He is short. And many people want Gorges as captain. And he's paid way too much for what he brings to the game, even with a little less than 30 goals. And he's prone to injury. And he's probably our only forward with value that we'd be willing to trade, since the Cole train line isn't going anywhere. Those are probably the reasons.

Personally I want him to stay. He's got heart, pride, gives his all every night, a possible 30 goal scorer if he plays the whole season. Could be an important leader as part of the rebuild, showing rookies you gotta fight each shift, showing the example..

Still I kinda understand why people would trade him. I'd even say it would be in his best interest to ask for a trade too.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What makes you think taht a new GM will want to get rid of everybody?

I'm sure moving Gomez's cap hit is a no brainer.

I don't see the benefit of dumping Gionta, his cap hit is not that high(doesn't prevent us from doing anything), he is an excellent leader and a good example to have with the kids coming up.

What does Nashville have to do with anything?
If the new GM decides to ride out the next couple of years with our veterans and we don't do much better than being a playoff bubble team he'll be riding off into the sunset with them. Do you think ownership is going to be thrilled with a couple of years of mediocrity and then we need to blow the team up as the veterans retire.

If the new GM wants to last 5 years here he'll be better served to get rid of 3 or 4 veterans and do a partial rebuild. That way in 2 or 3 years from now our future will look brighter instead of looking dimmer. Its the new GM's choice, it's his call.

I brought up Nashville because I thought it was ironic that we traded Gill and AK to Nashville and now we're short a stay at home d-man and a winger.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

1) Thanks Geoff Molson for making me the surprise new habs GM over the recommendations of all his advisors who said I lacked the necessary experience and connections.

2) Run to the nearest stall to purge myself out of anxiety.

3) Write a post on HF in panic saying I'm the new GM, for some reason Molson liked me and now what the hell am I going to do when he'll find out the truth HELP!!!

4) Get banned for trolling.

5) Call my buddy Bob who I think played midget AA 20 years ago to help me out. Alternatively, fake my own death.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
If the Habs don't address the issues on defense, they can forget about the playoffs next year imo.
Earlier in the thread I also suggested targeting somebody like Bryan Allen.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If the new GM decides to ride out the next couple of years with our veterans and we don't do much better than being a playoff bubble team he'll be riding off into the sunset with them. Do you think ownership is going to be thrilled with a couple of years of mediocrity and then we need to blow the team up as the veterans retire.

If the new GM wants to last 5 years here he'll be better served to get rid of 3 or 4 veterans and do a partial rebuild. That way in 2 or 3 years from now our future will look brighter instead of looking dimmer. Its the new GM's choice, it's his call.

I brought up Nashville because I thought it was ironic that we traded Gill and AK to Nashville and now we're short a stay at home d-man and a winger.
The new GM doesn't have to ride out anything. there is plenty of camp room to make the changes he wants.

The UFA market is not what it was the first 2-3 years after the lock out, so changing the team gradually is a better option than trying to clear everybody out.

A lot of the veterans have already been moved...Cammalleri Hamrlik AK Gill plus Gomez and Campoli will surely follow.

What makes you think it will be a couple of years of mediocrity? The Habs are not the CBJ, the core is already pretty solid. We just need a couple of veterans to stay healthy(Markov and Gionta) and to add a couple more solid players to add 2nd line and 2nd pair depth until the young players are ready for those roles. Rushing young players in any market is a bad idea...in an "instant celebrity" market like Montreal it's even worse.

Do you really think Price pacioretty and Subban will want to sign long extensions if you start dumping veterans and looking like alottery team again next year?

The guys we traded to Nashville are gone because they couldn't play the role we needed. If Gill was good enough to be a strong #3-4 guy we would ahve signed him to an extension. AK is too inconsistant to be a fixture on the 2nd line.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

More seriously.

1) Hire the best french speaking coach available. I don't want to deal with the "he doesn't speak french" crap, and there are good french-speaking guys available. It's a war I don't want to wage, and I have other "cats to whip" thank you very much.

2) Deal with Gomez, he's a distraction. In this order a) Try to push for a amnesty buy-back during the CBA negociations b) trade him c) waive/bury him d) buy him out the good old way.

3) Draft one of the top forward - personally I would go Forsberg but I would let Timmins do his job.

4) Trade or sign for a top-6 LW, we absolutely need one. He needs to play well with Plekanec. I wouldn't count on our draft pick, it's too risky. A guy like Parise would be perfect but if not I would settle on someone worst/older especially if a guy like Leblanc is showing promises offensively. I would take a long hard look at a guy like Shane Doan who could bring some of the vet leadership we have been losing (Gill, Gomez)

5) Sign a bottom-6 forward too. Maybe simply Moen, but I would look around for a guy younger and better.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The new GM doesn't have to ride out anything. there is plenty of camp room to make the changes he wants.

The UFA market is not what it was the first 2-3 years after the lock out, so changing the team gradually is a better option than trying to clear everybody out.

A lot of the veterans have already been moved...Cammalleri Hamrlik AK Gill plus Gomez and Campoli will surely follow.

What makes you think it will be a couple of years of mediocrity? The Habs are not the CBJ, the core is already pretty solid. We just need a couple of veterans to stay healthy(Markov and Gionta) and to add a couple more solid players to add 2nd line and 2nd pair depth until the young players are ready for those roles. Rushing young players in any market is a bad idea...in an "instant celebrity" market like Montreal it's even worse.

Do you really think Price pacioretty and Subban will want to sign long extensions if you start dumping veterans and looking like alottery team again next year?

The guys we traded to Nashville are gone because they couldn't play the role we needed. If Gill was good enough to be a strong #3-4 guy we would ahve signed him to an extension. AK is too inconsistant to be a fixture on the 2nd line.
If we look at the top 4 teams in the East - Boston, Philly, Pittsburg and the Rangers, will adding a player or two make us a team equal to any of them? No and that is what why I think we'll be a mediocre team for the next couple of years.

Even the next tier - Washington and NJ have better talent and more depth than us.

I put us as a bubble team with Winnipeg, Ottawa, Florida and Tampa. I don't see how you can rate us any higher than that.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If we look at the top 4 teams in the East - Boston, Philly, Pittsburg and the Rangers, will adding a player or two make us a team equal to any of them? No and that is what why I think we'll be a mediocre team for the next couple of years.

Even the next tier - Washington and NJ have better talent and more depth than us.

I put us as a bubble team with Winnipeg, Ottawa, Florida and Tampa. I don't see how you can rate us any higher than that.
With a few changes and a bit better luck we can easily be as good or better than anybody ooutside the top 4.

You don't get to be top 4 by jumping up in one year, first you have to make it an attractive place to play so you can get the proper UFA's, get back to a winning attitude and let the young players progress. How many first or 2nd year players have we had play this year?